Author Topic: Moving to an old trailer/mobile home  (Read 6267 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Moving to an old trailer/mobile home
« on: October 14, 2006, 05:09:32 AM »
 We are moving into an older trailer.  Anyway, I was wondering if y'all have any suggestions on making it a more healthy environment for my family.

First thing that we will do is clean the carpet.  My MIL just got a real nice carpet cleaner, so we will be able to do it ourselves for free ;).  It has shag carpet in the bedrooms that looks like it it from the 70's or 80's.

Is there anything else I should do, besides just wipe down everything.

It seems to be kept up pretty well, and has had people living in it most of the time, though it has been vacant for 4 months.

We start moving tomorrow, so I don't have much time left.  I should have asked sooner.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
Re: Moving to an old trailer/mobile home
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 08:01:26 AM »
You might want to consider rodent traps if it's been vacant - those little guys carry all sorts of yuck and always head for the pantry!  Also, make sure that the paint is not chipping because lead paint was common before 1978.  Test kits are only a few dollars at Home Depot.  That's all I can think of.  A trailer is pretty close to a permanent home in my opinion, so if you had an inspection before the purchase it should have covered the more obvious stuff, like fuel lines and structural soundness.  Good luck - I've moved enough to know it's never easy!  Make sure you get some rest during the whole process, too!   ~L

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 08:08:12 AM »
, so if you had an inspection before the purchase it should have covered the more obvious stuff, like fuel lines and structural soundness. 

Actually, we are just renting it.  So no inspections.  Just the word of the owners.  They said it has been well kept.  They have rented it out for 13 years.  Since they did completely redo the kitchen after a tornado, I am inclined to belive them.  Besides most 85 year old couples are trustworthy imo.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »
If you live in cold climate you may want to get ready to put plastic around the windows to keep the heating costs down. i would spray a bleach and water solution around the window first for a mold barrier. i lived in a trailer for a while here in MN and it was an oldie too. I wiped down all the walls with malelueca formulas but I think bleach is good too, not as healthy though so wear a mask if worried.

If you can, open all the windos and air it out. If you can, all window treatments should be washed in hot water. If there are ceiling fans, wash them too.

i agree with the rodent traps. I would keep my food locked in safe sontainers until i knew there were none left!!!!

That should be pretty good. To tell you the truth, when ever I move I pray through the house and ask the Lord to cover it. I would go into specifics on how I pray but that probably isn't appropriate for here so PM me if interested.

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 08:47:56 AM »
I wiped down all the walls with malelueca formulas

What melaleuca product did you use?  Tough and Tender?  I just got some more, so I have plenty.  I also happen to hate bleach.

CO does get pretty cold, so we were planning on covering the windows.  We were also thinking about getting an EdenPure infered heater to help cut costs and provide a safer heating system.

Offline CKSMOM

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 10:07:27 AM »
Don't forget a kitty for underneath the trailer, to help keep down critters. ;D (We live in one too)

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:23:55 AM »
I have never used tough and tender, I don't think it is strin enough. I believe I used Sol-U-Mel and Sol U Guard. I know i really don't like the bleach either, but for some reason, when i really want to know it is clean, I will use it. As much as i like Maleluca, I am still a little sceptical that it is getting all the germs and yuck stuff. But, it sounds like you are sold on it so wonderful, that is what i would use if i were you...the tough and tender may be good enough, maybe someone else would know...

There are those plastic kits from Walmart that you use a hair-dryer to attach them around the window..they seem to work well. The heater sounds like a great idea to cut on heating costs!

I wish you all the best!
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 07:12:19 PM »
You might want to consider rodent traps if it's been vacant - those little guys carry all sorts of yuck and always head for the pantry!  Also, make sure that the paint is not chipping because lead paint was common before 1978.  Test kits are only a few dollars at Home Depot.  That's all I can think of.  A trailer is pretty close to a permanent home in my opinion, so if you had an inspection before the purchase it should have covered the more obvious stuff, like fuel lines and structural soundness.  Good luck - I've moved enough to know it's never easy!  Make sure you get some rest during the whole process, too!   ~L

If you are in cold climate... my sister puts hay bails under hers to keep it warm. Just around the panels? Siding... you know the skirt thing. Ya I think that is what it is call, a skirt??
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 02:01:14 AM »
Yes it is the "skirting" :) If you do this you will attract mice, but you have to balance out what is more important and try to do something about the mice if they are actually getting in.

This year seems to top the charts as far as the mice population, they are everywhere. We have never resorted to poison and this year we did in our shed and a bit under the house...They went through whole bag in the shed, overnight and 3 days later my hubby saw 3 in the shed...either the poison isn't working or there are many  many of them...

Does anyone know of any other solution to getting rid of mice?  I think I will start another thread if there isn't already one.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2006, 03:10:12 AM »
Personally I think this is mean, but I know it works:
  Find the holes they use to enter the house and stuff them with steel wool.  When they chew it to get in it causes internal bleeding and they die.   :-\  I've never been able to do it but tons of  my friends have.  A hungry rescued cat might be the way to go - just don't feed it too much!!!             ~L

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2006, 03:14:50 AM »
steel wool does work. we have tried it. The only problem is they may find another rout.  :-\
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 04:28:21 AM »
petri--to tell you the truth I don't think the mice really eat the stuff, I have only heard that they use their noses to dig and the steel wool scratches their nose so they go away. I would think they would be smarter than that...MAYBE :-[

Anyway, wjen it comes so my family and making them clean and our home safe from contaminated mouse droppings, I really don't care how they die or leave, i just want them GONE :P

I know I know I am mean...

My daughter is allergic to cats and it wouldn't stick around if we left it outside, plus that would be cruel since it can get to be 50+ below with the wind chill--though I have heard animals are not affected by the wind chill because they don't sweat....anyhow, below zero it cold enough for them and even though I am not an animal lover, I still wouldn't leave a pet out there inthe cooollllddd chillllllling air.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:46 AM »
Okay, I don't know if you're going to experience winter - I don't remember if you told us where you live, but did anyone mention "HEAT TAPE"???  Get one, get two  *snicker*.  Anyway, you'll need one to keep the pipes underneath from freezing in the winter time.  You can avoid this if you want to let your faucets drip all winter long.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 05:12:03 AM »
Okay, I don't know if you're going to experience winter - I don't remember if you told us where you live, but did anyone mention "HEAT TAPE"???  Get one, get two  *snicker*.  Anyway, you'll need one to keep the pipes underneath from freezing in the winter time.  You can avoid this if you want to let your faucets drip all winter long.   ::)

What is heat tape?  Sounds like it could be a good idea.  I am in Colorado, and we are expecting snow today.  And of course, this is just the very beginning of winter!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 05:35:04 AM »

What is heat tape?  Sounds like it could be a good idea.  I am in Colorado, and we are expecting snow today.  And of course, this is just the very beginning of winter!
It's a small electrical device that wraps around your water main pipe (pic below) under the mobile home to keep it from freezing.  It works very similar to an electric blanket.

Here's another link for tips on how to winterize a mobile home.

http://interests.caes.uga.edu/disaster/freeze/articles/winter01.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 05:15:14 PM »
Personally I think this is mean, but I know it works:
  Find the holes they use to enter the house and stuff them with steel wool.  When they chew it to get in it causes internal bleeding and they die.   :-\  I've never been able to do it but tons of  my friends have.  A hungry rescued cat might be the way to go - just don't feed it too much!!!             ~L
This happened today...we discovered that the plumbing under the tub has a hole, large enough for our cat to enter the house.  We didn't realize there was a hole there until the cat came in to greet us, and then escaped back out the hole. 

Check ALL pipes leading into the house for larger than necessary holes.  Steel wool works great on small openings...I did that last winter.  Now that I know about this one, I think there may be some minor construction to close it off.

The cat doesn't need a very large hole to get under the house...if it is too big, the neighbourhood dogs may take-up residence there too.  They can make a mess of things when they start fighting. :(
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 08:31:19 AM »
Okay...I have a problem.  About a month ago, we had the stomach flu go through the house.  So I thought the odd smell was a result of children getting sick on the carpet. Well, the smell has persisted, in spite of cleaning efforts.  Dh ventured under the house on the week-end and discovered remains of an animal...and it stinketh!

It's in pieces, so it is not going to be easy to remove it.  Is there a health risk to my family from the smell?  We haven't been able to get a clear answer on how to proceed from here.  What is your experience/advice? 
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
I do not think there is a health risk from the smell. There may be a health risk to your husband when he cleans it up. My husband has helped a friend of our clean up after animals under his trailer. In fact, many of his jobs on trailers have come with the discovery of dead animals or proof that an animal lives under there. (Or worse yet, spiders. He gets these awful HUGE spider bites and ends up going to the ER from allergic reactions to the bites!)

Have your husband wear coverals that are thick. Tuck the pant legs into socks, books, or tape them with duct tape. Tape his sleeves to his gloves (make sure the gloves are thick work gloves). Have him wear a mask. It helps if you add some vicks or some other type of smell to the inside of the mask. Shovel the pieces into a thick balck garbage bag. My husband usually throws the shovel in there when he is done. He says it is cheaper to buy a shovel then to disinfect the used one or risk sickness. Usually the mask and gloves go out in the garbage too. He usually does this about the day before garbage day for the people because in the summer the animsl will really stink, and in the winter, while you wait for it to freeze (if it smells it is not frozen) animals get into it (cat, bears, stray dogs).

I take the coveralls to the laudry mat and wash them in the work clothes washers. Now, however, we have a nice washer (man who owned a dept. store here owed us a lot of money (for work we did on his building) and kept disappearing, so one day my husbnad saw him in his store and told him our washer died and since he had not paid us, he could buy us a new one....I got a GREAT one!) with a sanitize setting. I would use that now if he had this happen now.

Good luck. CJ