Author Topic: Aluminum Free Lifestyle  (Read 31346 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Aluminum Free Lifestyle
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:28:57 AM »
A few other threads have either bordered around or touched on this subject, but I thought it might be nice to have a place to make me and others aware of all the possible places in our lifestyle that aluminum might be lurking.

I just recently threw out my aluminum pans and then found out that I was eating aluminum in my homemade stuff because of the baking powder, so I found a replacement for that at Walmart and it only cost me 30 cents more than the regular stuff, so not too bad a deal.

Anyone who has info, or suggestions on living aluminum free, post it here.   ;)  There's already a thread on deoderant replacements HERE and a thread on Iron Skillets HERE.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 07:54:55 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
Re: Aluminum Free Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:40:26 AM »
YIKES! I dont' think I want to know!  ;) :D

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 06:29:17 AM »
Healthybratt, what do you mean you found a replacement for baking powder?

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 06:47:40 AM »
It's amazing how much stuff has aluminum in it.  It was kinda funny; I thought I was doing really well because I switched deoderants, beauty products, baking powder, and cookware to non-aluminum products, but for some reason I had a total mental block about the "tin foil."  I kept using it and it was like 6 months before it finally dawned on me that aluminum foil has ALUMINUM in it!  (duh).  That's been the hardest thing to give up.  :-(

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »
They have aluminum free baking powder at Walmart.  Yippee!
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »
It's amazing how much stuff has aluminum in it.  It was kinda funny; I thought I was doing really well because I switched deoderants, beauty products, baking powder, and cookware to non-aluminum products, but for some reason I had a total mental block about the "tin foil."  I kept using it and it was like 6 months before it finally dawned on me that aluminum foil has ALUMINUM in it!  (duh).  That's been the hardest thing to give up.  :-(

HA   HA   HA   HA   HA   HA   HA   HA! 
You had me rollin' on this on.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 08:18:47 AM »
I didn't realize that aluminum was that bad for you.  I stopped wearing antiperspirants because I knew that was bad, but could someone explain why baking soda has aluminum, and why aluminum foil would be bad if you aren't eating it?  Sorry, I am still really learning  :-[
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 08:38:47 AM »
I didn't realize that aluminum was that bad for you.  I stopped wearing antiperspirants because I knew that was bad, but could someone explain why baking soda has aluminum, and why aluminum foil would be bad if you aren't eating it?  Sorry, I am still really learning  :-[

When you cook the metals from the pans leach into your foods.  Aluminum foil on top of a dish probably wouldn't do anything to the food, but if you baked your potatoes in it, you might get some aluminum in your food.  I don't think that small amounts of aluminum will hurt as it's just about everywhere you turn in it's natural form, BUT in large amounts it's been linked to problems such as Alzheimers disease.  You probably can't eliminate it all, but it wouldn't hurt to substitute where you can.

Oh, I just remembered, I think that spray cans use aluminum to do their spray thingy.  Real technical huh?  I got rid of my aerosal cans a long time ago because of this.  I've not researched it, that's just what I heard.  I figured inhaling it would probably be worse than any other way.  (I still keep Lysol on had for emergency smelliness, but I got rid of the rest of them).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 08:40:14 AM »
Some baking POWDERS contain an aluminum ingredient listed right on the label. Some brands, like Tones, and Rumford, do not contain aluminum, so I just buy one of those brands. As for foil, I don't know that it affects you if you are not eating any food that came in contact with it (like eating the cheese stuck to it, or whatever). I still use it to cover cassaroles, I just don't let it touch the food. Someone else may know more on that one though.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 09:10:18 AM »
If I may share something regarding aluminum and it's detrimental effects on the body.  I totally agree that we should eliminate as much if not all of aluminum.  I am not talking about trace amounts in fruits, veggies, and herbs, but in household items and such. 
My family has a history of Alzheimer's.  Aluminum is linked, among other heavy metals, as its contributor.  My great-grandparents on both of my mother's side had it.  My grandmother is now in a nursing home with it.  She eats candles and everything! :(  My mother has symptoms of it at 51.  Pretty bad ones, too.  And at the age of 27, I was coming down with symptoms of it.  I would drive in my car and forget who I was or where I was going!!  Granted, it only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was very scary.  I would always be forgetting what i had for dinner the night before, but I could tell you almost day for day when I was five.  I even got to the point where I was having hallucinations in the middle of the night!!  Something that I researched was a sign of Alzheimer's.  I cut out:  aluminum deodorant, aluminum baking powder, mascara(I wore it like twice a year, but now I use a Rachel perry kind , still twice a year!) all aluminum pans are out(except for muffin pans, can't find those in cast iron)  I use glass, porcelain, and cast iron for everything!!  I even bought a porcelain enameled tea kettle!  I had gone aluminum free for a long time, but was still occasionally having these night visions.  I couldn't understand why, at first, but then realized that I was getting a ton of aluminum from my tea kettle!  I am happy to say that my memory is much better and I have not had a night vision in over a year since I cut out all of the aluminum!  Praise God!! 
I don't think that everyone needs to be as drastic with the aluminum free things as maybe someone who has a history of Alzheimer's.  It is in my family and I know that it is the best choice for me and my family.  In fact, after I had decreased all of the aluminum, I went to an alternative doctor and had a genetic Alzheimer's disease test and it came back with a very unlikely chance that I will get it!!!  Yeah, for sanity!!! ;D 

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:35:07 AM »
Whoa, healthyinohio, that had to be scary. Can you tell me what symptoms your mom has? My mom in the last year has almost completely changed personalities. She used to be very confident and ran her own business, very much the people person. Now she has NO confidence, forgets everything, to the point where she can't really drive because she might forget where she is, and tells you the same thing over and over. It's incredibly hard to watch and know how to relate. I thot maybe she has alzeheimers but she also has vomiting and dizziness every so often. Lyme's disease? She works alot with dogs and is srrounded with woods, so a tick bite is completely possible. Brain tumor? Her sister just died from one, but she says she doesn't have headaches and her sister did. Can alzeheimer's make you physically sick? She tested negative for thyroid issues. Her doctor says she had a complete immune system breakdown so time and vitamins. ??? O.k. maybe i should have started a new thread....

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 09:46:05 AM »
except for muffin pans, can't find those in cast iron

First of all, thanks for sharing your personal experience.  That's much more educating than just research alone and what you heard from a friend of a friend.  My grandmother died with Alzheimer's.  She was very bad in the home as well.  Very scary for the rest of us to think about. 

As for the muffin pans either get Pampered Chef, they have stone muffin pans OR CLICK HERE to see a cast iron muffin pan.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 09:56:13 AM »
Whoa, healthyinohio, that had to be scary. Can you tell me what symptoms your mom has? My mom in the last year has almost completely changed personalities. She used to be very confident and ran her own business, very much the people person. Now she has NO confidence, forgets everything, to the point where she can't really drive because she might forget where she is, and tells you the same thing over and over.

This is how it started with my grandmother.  Then she had her first car accident in her life at 55, and things just started really going downhill from there.  I wish I had known then, what I know now.  *sigh*  I don't remember, however my grandmother ever being physically sick, BUT if she's very forgetful then she could be eating something bad and not remembering what it was ??? Just a thought.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 01:55:11 PM »
I just had to include my hubby's web site for pampered chef here :D  www.pamperedchef.biz/brandt

It has 6 and 12 muffin cup stoneware, and lots of other stoneware too.
I'm smiling! :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 02:12:56 PM »
I just had to include my hubby's web site for pampered chef here :D  www.pamperedchef.biz/brandt

It has 6 and 12 muffin cup stoneware, and lots of other stoneware too.

I'm assuming we don't have to attend a party to order from him?

I used to have the huge stone cookie sheet.  I got it for free for pulling in a bunch of orders for my host (she's so sweet).  Anyway I put it on a hot burner on the stove by mistake - no more cookie sheet.   :'(

Walmart carries a knockoff round pizza stone and I couldn't afford to replace my PC stuff so I bought it.  Not bad, but you have to season it well before it stops sticking.  I still miss my PC cookie sheet.  It makes the best cookies I've ever eaten.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 02:16:29 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 02:40:11 PM »
You know, D, I am concerned about your mom, too.  It really doesn't sound altogether like Alzheimer's.  Besides the forgetfullness. You can also have those with a clogged up colon.  Too many refined flours and sugars over a long period of time, without getting them out of the body can literally "plug" your brain up.  You can get headaches and dizziness and sometimes vomitting.  Same with a mini-stroke, brain tumor, or a parasite. Also, these are symptoms of people with a recent root canal done or that have mercury fillings.   I would definitely talk her into seeing a natural doctor that would listen to all of her symptoms very well. 
My mother has a mouth full of mercury.  She uses aluminum everything.  She is on every anti-depressant known to man which contain a lot of aluminum.  She will be in a good mood and in a split second be angry.  She forgets EVERYTHING.  She repeats herself everytime we see her. The same thing that my grandmother does.  She also has diabetes.  Same that my grandmother has.  I guess there is this link between Alzheimer's and diabetes as well.

HB,  thanks for the muffin pan suggestion!!  I can't wait to buy one.  Then, I will be aluminum free.  Except for an occasional canned good now and then.   :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 03:40:13 PM »
Too many refined flours and sugars over a long period of time, without getting them out of the body can literally "plug" your brain up.  You can get headaches and dizziness and sometimes vomitting.  ...She also has diabetes.  Same that my grandmother has.  I guess there is this link between Alzheimer's and diabetes as well.
  These things are linked to LGS as well.  LGS and Candida can cause brain fog.

HB,  thanks for the muffin pan suggestion!!  I can't wait to buy one.  Then, I will be aluminum free.  Except for an occasional canned good now and then.   :)

You're welcome.  Funny you should mention this, I was just wondering about canned goods and pop.  How much aluminum do you suppose we consume from these products?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 02:37:24 AM »
You're welcome. Funny you should mention this, I was just wondering about canned goods and pop. How much aluminum do you suppose we consume from these products?

There is probably a lot in cans and such.  They are now coming out with this chemical spray that they are lining the inside of the cans with, so the aluminum will not leach out into the food.  But I am wondering what this chemical will do to the food! :-\  It never ends!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 06:08:59 AM »
You're welcome. Funny you should mention this, I was just wondering about canned goods and pop. How much aluminum do you suppose we consume from these products?

There is probably a lot in cans and such.  They are now coming out with this chemical spray that they are lining the inside of the cans with, so the aluminum will not leach out into the food.  But I am wondering what this chemical will do to the food! :-\  It never ends!

My grandma has always told me not to buy dented cans.  Maybe she knew something we don't.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2006, 06:24:05 AM »
This doesnt have anything to do with aluminum but with cans.  I got an email that said some woman drank out of one and died the next day and tests revealed rat urine on the top. SO if you are going to drink out of a can wash it good first.  I always wipe them off but now I will use soap and water, course I can't remember the last time I drank out of one or even had a soda at all.  I'm drinking that YUMMY salt water.  :D

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 07:48:46 AM »
Funny, healthyinohio, that you should mention root canal's and mercury fillings, my mom's mouth is full of them and her first serious breakdown came the same time she was having a major root canal done. She was SO sick that she broke out in like coldsores all over, even in her hair and up her nose. Of course they put her on lots of antibiotics. >:(  I've mentioned doing a major cleanse and that as soon as i'm done nursing i would be willing to do one with her as a support. She seemed open to it but i would frankly be a little scared for her to do it without a doctor's support. I'm thinking fasting clinic? And what doctor?  We need natural christian doctors. I'm not against all doctors, they saved my 9 mo. old  life this winter when he had a serious case of rsv and almost died, but most of them are frustrating!!!!!!!!!! The problem is, she isn't always open to discussing it, seems like she wants to dig her head in the sand, meanwhile her marriage is disintegrating and we're all struggling to know how to relate. I used to get really angry and frustrated, but God is doing a work in my heart and teaching me how to be a daughter that honors and respects my parents. By the grace of God...........

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2006, 09:19:36 AM »
Most moms have a hard time listening to the correction of their children.  It must be that generation?  My daughter mentions helpful things to me and I am always humble to her suggestions.  Even at eight years of age! 
Perhaps, you could google something on the internet stating dangers and symptoms of root canals and mercury fillings.  Print it off and let her read it and decide for herself.  After all, it is her life.  If she wants to live it in pain and mental insanity then I guess it is her choice.  It is frustrating when you try to warn someone of the truth and they don't want to listen.
There are some helpful books that talk about the dangers of mercury fillings and root canals.  Toxic metal syndrome,  uninformed consent:  Hidden Dangers in Dental Care, and this one your mom will probably relate to the best is: It's all in Your Head, by Hal Huggins.  The authors symptoms were very similar to that of your mom's.  He was actually diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  They did a cat scan that showed he had it.  He got his mercury removed out of his mouth and had some chelation therapy done.  He no longer is diagnosed with Alzheimer's. 
Perhaps, you could just give her that book and let her read it on her own.
Also, you can do an internet search for mercury free dentists.  They will have a state to state search that you can do.  You may have to pay a lot more for those dentists, but it would be worth it if you could be normal again.  You don't have to choose the silver fillings.  They have a white composite filling that is safer to use.  Never have a root canal done.  I am not sure of the exact alternative for it.  But they say just have the tooth removed.  You could research it more.  I will try to do that, too.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2006, 11:21:21 AM »
This doesnt have anything to do with aluminum but with cans.  I got an email that said some woman drank out of one and died the next day and tests revealed rat urine on the top. SO if you are going to drink out of a can wash it good first.  I always wipe them off but now I will use soap and water, course I can't remember the last time I drank out of one or even had a soda at all.  I'm drinking that YUMMY salt water.  :D

As GROSS as that is, I don't think it would be life threatening (who knows?).  Anyway I didn't find it on SNOPES, but I did find it on HOAX BUSTERS.

Hoax Busters
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2006, 11:25:09 AM »
You don't have to choose the silver fillings.  They have a white composite filling that is safer to use.
I got three cavities when preggo with baby #1.  I was broke and the state paid for my fillings so I wound up with silver ones.  I don't know what they were made of, but they gave me a head splitter every time I ate something cold or hot because (DUH) metal is a conductor, so later I had them removed and replaced with the white ones.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  They cost me about $40 each but well worth it if you ask me.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 11:35:46 AM »

As GROSS as that is, I don't think it would be life threatening (who knows?).  Anyway I didn't find it on SNOPES, but I did find it on HOAX BUSTERS.

Hoax Busters

Boy HB you are the "WO-MAN" when it comes to looking stuff up!  :D i couldn't get the hoax page to come but but I believe you.  I think I'll still wash my cans.  ;D

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
Okay. I've already switched deodorants. We eat healthy. BUT HOW do you manage to cover your dishes without using aluminum foil or plastic wrap? I've been reading up on plastics and how they get into our food -- you'd rather not know . . .

What do you do? Make little elastic caps to cover your dishes? Use glass or rubber lids?  ??? ??? :-\
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 04:34:13 AM »
You could probably use cloth with a rubber band or twine.  I don't know, I've never tried it, but it seems to me it might work.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2006, 04:41:35 AM »
I would think the plastic and foil might be alright if they are not heated. All the stuff I've read cautioning about those said not to heat in them. Also, parchement paper can be baked, and while it doesn't seal, it would cover things in the oven.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 06:11:09 AM »
I still use foil and plastic wrap on top of my dishes.  I just try to avoid wrapping the foods directly in them.  They can't leach if they don't touch.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline joyful_mommy_03

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »
Quick question about going to cast iron.  All my pots and pans are severly needing replacement so we decided to go to cast iron after reading this thread.  I am looking at many different skillets but was wondering if preseasoned is a good idea or not.  My concern is that it would just have more harmful junk in it.  I found a good deal on a 3-skillet set but it's preseasoned so I don't know if its worth the money.