Author Topic: kitchen appliances  (Read 26316 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: kitchen appliances
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2009, 04:36:08 PM »
I need a food processor, but I am hoping to get an Electrolux Assistent in the next couple of years.  I don't know if I should just buy the Cuisinart now, or wait and get the Electrolux food processor as well. 
Has anyone had experience with the food processor?  Is is good quality?  How would it compare to the Cuisinart?  I would use it mostly for pie crusts and pureed veggies like onions, garlic, carrots, etc.  Thanks!
~L

Petrimama,
I have a Cuisinart food processor.  It's a good machine, but I hardly ever use it now except for pie crusts.  So it's become a 'uni-tasker'...but I can't quite bring myself to get rid of it (yet).  :)

I used to use it for baby food, but then I discovered the hand (emersion) blenders work even better for this.  I would make large amounts of different veggies and meats all at once, and it was annoying to have to process in batches and clean everything up between each one.  With an emmersion blender, you can just process it right in the pan without dirtying anything else up.  You can just rinse the blender clean between uses.  I used it exclusively for making baby food this time around, and it was great.  I could vary how smooth or chunky I made the food much easier with the hand blender.  I use it a LOT for creaming or blending soups, making mayo, making salsa, pureeing etc.  Mine also came with a little jar that it attaches to for grinding nuts and such.  Basically, I use it for everything I used the regular food processor for & more.  I now use glass canning jars for food storage, and the wide mouth jars are the right size for my blender to fit down in.  It's much more convenient to store and clean too. 

I haven't owned or used an Electrolux appliance, but I know Cuisinart is good.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2009, 07:17:44 PM »
what is a good grinder for grinding alternate grains like amaranth, quinoa, kamut, etc. i'd also like to be able to grind beans. I just bought a BlendTec would that work? I'm curious cause I'm reading not all grinder can grind all grains? I'm mostly interested in grinding the amaranth, quinoa, kamut and rice into flours...any thoughts?

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2009, 05:57:56 PM »
I'm partial to my Nutrimill, but I don't know if it can grind Amaranth.  I  know it's fine with all of the grains and beans, but I think amaranth is a seed, right?  Oily seeds like flax are not supposed to go in the Nutrimill, so that may be excluded as well.  You should call customer service at www.pleasanthillgrain.com and ask what they recommend.  They are very practical and friendly.  Then come back and ask what we think of their suggestions.   ;D  ~L

EDIT - I was just reading something else for my own benefit, and I saw that amaranth was listed in the category of "Non-oily Grains."  This would lead me to believe it would be ok, nut it never hurts to double check.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:56:07 PM by petrimama »