Author Topic: kitchen appliances  (Read 26809 times)

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
Re: kitchen appliances
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 11:48:44 AM »
Anyone use a waffle iron without the non-stick coating.  Trying to find one, but most brands have the non-stick surface. 

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
I don't have one, but just saw one in a Lehman's catalog - they can be pricey though.
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2007, 06:22:56 AM »
Anyone use a waffle iron without the non-stick coating.  Trying to find one, but most brands have the non-stick surface. 
I had one.  It was very old.  Gave it away, but I would check garage sales.  They are so big and clunky, most people just throw them out.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »
I have an old electric one with reversible, iron plates.  I love it!  I have seen them in yard sales and at an antique mall - wish I had bought one as a backup. 

I just got the newest Lehman's catalog and they have a round, cast iron waffle grill for $19.95.  That's the one I would love to have!  I would order more of the Ladyfinger popcorn from them while I was at it. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 10:53:09 AM »
Thank you for the responses.   I would like to have an electric version.  The reversible iron plates sound nice too.   The version Lehman's carries looks great, but I am concerned that it might scratch the surface of my stove (it is a glass cook top).  I will keep checking on ebay.  Maybe someone is trying to get rid of an electric waffle iron with iron plates.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
I have a friend who was with PC for several years and she went digging and found that they support ProChoice clinics (abortion).  So, she and another friend started their own business which is very comparable to PC in price and product.  I have bought several items from them and am basically pleased with my purchases.  If anyone is interested I could get their info and post it.  I think that with shipping though it may get pricey. :-\
I have travelled in a lot of our great States and know of many women selling PC, it is not my mission to inform them of what PC does with their $$$.  I just won't buy their product anymore, and yes, I am sad, I really liked the whole "pampered" thing :(
Lisa
I have been looking at some Pampered Chef stuff and wonder what you would buy instead.
Thanks
Daisey
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »
I have 2 old waffle irons with non stick finish and I love them.   One I found at a garage sale and had to work a little to get it seasoned a little so the waffles wouldn't stick.   The other I inherited after my parents died.  Theirs was VERY seasoned.   
I find the need to have both because when we eat waffles for a meal it takes forever to cook them if I only have one going at a time.
Watch those garage sales or auctions.
Daisey

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 06:15:55 AM »
I have a question about the Bosch Mixers.  I have had the Bosch Universal Mixer on my wishlist for a year now.  I have hear a lot of wonderful things about it.  I was doing a search on ebay the other day http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160117165447&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX_Stores&refitem=160117391482&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget and noticed they have a compact version of the Bosch mixer that comes with the blender and food processor.  Does anyone have one of these, how does is compare with the big one.  I know there is a difference in watts (compact has 450 and the big one has 700) so there will probably be a difference in power, but does it still out perform the Kitchen Aid when it comes to bread.   

Oh..I cant remember if I got this here or from somebody's blog, but here is a couple of videos comparing the Kitchen Aid with the Bosch Universal.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/bosch-video-launch.html

Thanks

Kay
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 08:23:46 AM »
I don't have one, but just saw one in a Lehman's catalog - they can be pricey though.
I want that one!  It is cast iron, I guess if you use it a lot, it would be worth it.  It can be used camping too.
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=6502&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=waffle+iron

Offline hsink

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 11:40:34 AM »
I have a question about the Bosch Mixers.  I have had the Bosch Universal Mixer on my wishlist for a year now.  I have hear a lot of wonderful things about it.  I was doing a search on ebay the other day   Does anyone have one of these, how does is compare with the big one.  I know there is a difference in watts (compact has 450 and the big one has 700) so there will probably be a difference in power, but does it still out perform the Kitchen Aid when it comes to bread.   

Oh..I cant remember if I got this here or from somebody's blog, but here is a couple of videos comparing the Kitchen Aid with the Bosch Universal.

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/bosch-video-launch.html

Thanks

Kay

I have just got my Bosch Universal about 2 months ago.  I have used it several times a week and love it.  I personally think that it was well worth the cost. Also from what friends have shared with me (one of my cousins burnt up her Kitchen aid on ww bread) and some casual reading I have done it seems that you would benefit from the extra strength versus going with a smaller version. I also read (sorry that I can't remember where) and my dh confirmed that there is more to it that just the amount of watts the motor has. The way the Bosch is designed it is supposed to convert the watts to actual performance more efficiently than in comparison to the kitchen aid. That being said I had a kitchen aid for 7 1/2 years and used it tons..loved it..but I never made whole wheat bread in it. Just thought I would share my conclusion.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 02:34:25 PM »
I have had a Bosch Universal Machine for about 20 years and love it.   I replaced my first machine about 14 years ago.  The first one was the standard one with the plastic bowl etc.  I really prefer stainless steel so I got the model with the stainless steel bowl.  I also didn't care for the design of the first one I had, center cone with the dough hook.  My second one still has the dough hook in the middle but it sits on the bottom of the bowl instead of on top of the center cone.   Is that clear as mud?   ;D
Well worth the money when you consider using it at least 3 times a week for 14 years and no problems.   :D

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the great responses....but was confused because everyone was telling me how great the Bosch Universal is...then realized I didnt include the part that said ....the compact version.... I was wondering if anyone had the compact version and if they liked it (in comparison to the universal).  Sorry for the confusion! 
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline blackbird

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
All this talk about Lehman's makes me want to back there.  What a fun Store to walk around at!
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 07:41:29 PM »
All this talk about Lehman's makes me want to back there.  What a fun Store to walk around at!

I agree!!  When you go in there you find stuff you didn't even know existed!!!!

Offline homesteadmommy

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »
I am looking for a hand operated coffe grinder - I looked at Wal-Mart and didn't see any. Thought maybe someone could give me some advice where to look = I want it to grind flax and millet.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2007, 06:59:00 AM »
I am looking for a hand operated coffe grinder - I looked at Wal-Mart and didn't see any. Thought maybe someone could give me some advice where to look = I want it to grind flax and millet.

If you have a blender you can grind flax & millet in it. Just do smaller amounts- app. 1/2 cup at a time.

Flax is high in oil (about 1/3) & hand crank grinders can't be washed. The oil that ends up on the metal parts will go rancid & smell bad not to mention getting rancid oil in your new batches of ground flax. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:12 AM »

Try Lehmans.  They have 2 kinds each for 40.00.  www.lehmans.com

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2007, 10:00:06 AM »
Thanks for the great responses....but was confused because everyone was telling me how great the Bosch Universal is...then realized I didnt include the part that said ....the compact version.... I was wondering if anyone had the compact version and if they liked it (in comparison to the universal).  Sorry for the confusion! 

I have never used the compact version but being made by Bosch makes me think it would be just as good of quality.  You might not be able to handle large batches of bread in it, I'm not sure.  DH informs me that Bosch makes all kinds of things, they do parts for aviation etc.  He says it has an excellent reputation.  HTH

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2007, 06:29:07 AM »

I have never used the compact version but being made by Bosch makes me think it would be just as good of quality.  You might not be able to handle large batches of bread in it, I'm not sure.  DH informs me that Bosch makes all kinds of things, they do parts for aviation etc.  He says it has an excellent reputation.  HTH

I had the Bosch compact then passed it on to my DD when she was married and bought the larger Bosch.

My only "complaint" and I'm not sure if anyone else has had this problem, maybe it was just that particular machine, is that it vibrated so much it almost went off the counter twice, so I could not just leave it while it was kneading.  Everything else I loved about it - I just needed to make bigger batches of bread for my family.

HTH
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 07:27:33 AM »
Stoneware conversation has enough interest to split.  I moved it here.

Stoneware [Baking Stones]:  Brands, Types, Seasoning & Care
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2007, 02:49:43 PM »
I was considering purchasing a Bosch mixer and wondered if you could give me any tips. I see they have some listed on ebay, anything I should beware of? I see there are a couple different ones -- I don't think I want compact, and one with a blender sounds great since my blender could be replaced with no problem....I thought I read that there is a 700 watt, but the one on ebay says 550?

I would appreciate any tips before making this pricey purchase...
Oh yeah my uses so far as I know would include regular bread (wheat sometimes but hubby and daughter can't have much whole wheat  :(), waffles, pancakes, cookies, and anything else i can learn about,

BTW>>> I see someone took the initiative to write a Bosch Mixer and Grain Mill cookbook, it is on ebay under Bosch Mixers..anyway, any tips would be helpful.

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »
I was considering purchasing a Bosch mixer and wondered if you could give me any tips. I see they have some listed on ebay, anything I should beware of? I see there are a couple different ones -- I don't think I want compact, and one with a blender sounds great since my blender could be replaced with no problem....I thought I read that there is a 700 watt, but the one on ebay says 550?

I would appreciate any tips before making this pricey purchase...
Oh yeah my uses so far as I know would include regular bread (wheat sometimes but hubby and daughter can't have much whole wheat  :(), waffles, pancakes, cookies, and anything else i can learn about,

BTW>>> I see someone took the initiative to write a Bosch Mixer and Grain Mill cookbook, it is on ebay under Bosch Mixers..anyway, any tips would be helpful.

The compact is the one at 500-550 watts.  The universal is the big one at 700 or more watts (I think that they are bringing out a new one with more power).
You might want to go to www.urbanhomemaker.com or www.pleasanthillgrain.com, or even www.breadbeckers.com
for comparisons.
The only negative I heard about the big Bosch was from someone who actually sells them.  They said that they just didn't like the stirring mechanism coming up from the bottom and that moisture and gunk could get into it and get nasty.  They actually recommend the Electrolux Assistant.
I also know a ton of people who have them and love them, though.
I actually have the Bosch Compact and have loved it.  We are a smaller family of 4 and this meets our needs well.  I can do a double bread recipe (for 4 loaves)easily, and have even pushed it and done a triple recipe a time or 2 (for 6 loaves).  I have gotten alot of use from the slicer/shredder... it goes right into the bowl or into any other container.  And the blender is great... I use it daily for my kefir smoothie...
I recently went to a cooking demo class for all of these appliances, including grain mills, and after seeing all of them and what they can and can't do, I know that I would probably still make the decision to buy the Bosch compact as it does what I need it to do, and didn't break the bank to do it.
BTW... I have the plain version... no stainless.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 04:34:19 AM »
Does anyone prefer the Bosch Stainless over the plastic? Why? Also, what do you all use your kitchen mixers for?
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 06:37:33 AM »
Does anyone prefer the Bosch Stainless over the plastic? Why? Also, what do you all use your kitchen mixers for?
I would prefer the stainless if I had one.  But last I checked, they didnt have the stainless anymore(the style that is like the plastic, not the style where the dough hook hooks into the bottom.  the plastic holds smells and can be hard to clean if you do anything greasy.  I was making butter in it and it would take several washes to get butter residue out of the plastic.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 09:07:28 AM »
I would prefer the stainless if I had one.  But last I checked, they didnt have the stainless anymore(the style that is like the plastic, not the style where the dough hook hooks into the bottom.  the plastic holds smells and can be hard to clean if you do anything greasy.  I was making butter in it and it would take several washes to get butter residue out of the plastic.

Amen to that!   I don't like the center cone though so I got the stainless with the hooks that are on the bottom.   I really love it!!
Use it mostly for bread but I use the other attachments a lot so the machine is in constant use.   Blender for smoothies, cranberry sauce etc.  Processor for grating all kinds of things and whipping egg whites etc.
HTH
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 12:10:26 PM by daisey »

Offline mhsmama4

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »

We bought the Bosch Concept last February and really love it!  We got the blender and the slicer/shredder attachments as well...the blender is great!  Things we use ours for are: breadmaking (up to 6 loaves at a time), whipping cream and making butter, mixing cheesecakes, shredding cheese, making fresh OJ (just peel oranges and put them in the blender) or smoothies, etc... .

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »
RE: the mixer with the hook coming up from the bottom...you have to have a separate bowl to go with it, right? Like for whipping and mixing batters??

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2007, 09:39:29 AM »
There are 2 types of stainless steel bowls.  I have given a description of the 2. 

Bosch Mixer Stainless Steel Bowl (without column)

The Original Style Stainless Steel Bowl for the Bosch Universal Mixer has a 14 lb. dough capacity. The dough hook drives from the bottom of the bowl. This bowl comes with its own dough hook, which does an outstanding job of kneading.  Fits on the Bosch Universal Mixer's low speed drive (the same place the standard plastic bowl mounts.) Whips, whisks and cookie paddles cannot be used with this bowl because it's built without the center drive column.

Bosch Stainless steel bowl with center column  (like the plastic bowl)

The New Style Stainless Steel Bowl for the Bosch Universal Plus mixer has a center drive shaft, enabling the Universal's standard wire whisks and BreadMaster dough hook (as well as the new accessory cookie paddles) to be used in it. Capacity is 5 quarts. This bowl is sold without dough hook, whisks or lid, because those pieces from the Universal's standard plastic bowl fit onto this bowl.

HTH

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »
that helps thanks!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2009, 12:39:08 PM »
I need a food processor, but I am hoping to get an Electrolux Assistent in the next couple of years.  I don't know if I should just buy the Cuisinart now, or wait and get the Electrolux food processor as well. 
Has anyone had experience with the food processor?  Is is good quality?  How would it compare to the Cuisinart?  I would use it mostly for pie crusts and pureed veggies like onions, garlic, carrots, etc.  Thanks!
~L