Author Topic: kitchen appliances  (Read 27462 times)

Offline queentea

• Adept
kitchen appliances
« on: June 21, 2006, 05:17:51 AM »
Hi, I would like some advice for a new to the health scene mom and wife.  I am having a b-day in Aug and will likely get some money and I would like to know what your favorite kitchen appliance is that helps you in making healthy meals for your families.  I do have a Berkey water filter (last year's b-day purchase!) and stainless steel cookware, but thats about it.  Should I go for a grain mill, yogurt maker, Bosch blender???  Please help!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: kitchen appliances
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:24:30 AM »
I love my mini food chopper (about $10) and if I had the room, I would expand and get a big fancy food processor.  I think some of the blenders will double as a food chopper for chopping onions, herbs, garlic, nuts, bread crumbs, eggs for tuna/egg salad, pickles, cucumbers (for kimchee), egg shells for my garden and so many other things.  I've heard that a good chopper/blender is good for beating egg whites, cream, and making butter as well, but I've never tried it in my little one.  I still need to find something that will chop ginger without getting caught in the strings and strong enough to chop dried tomatoes.

While everyone is making suggestions, does anyone have a food processor that will do it all, including making smoothies and fruit juices?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 05:38:57 AM »
I don't know about chopping the ginger but I just bought a hamilton beach blender thing it says it will make: baby food, bread crumbs, cookie or cracker crumbs, chop nuts, vegetables, coffee beans, frozen juice concentrate, baking chocolate(done that but I think my williams sonoma food chopper is just as good for that), smooth gravy, mix pancakes or waffles, parmesan cheese, superfine suger(course we dont' do that ha), and thicken whipping cream.  And it does do smoothies, shakes and icys and has a spout to pour them. I make smoothies all the time.  I also chopped walnuts in it tomake no grain pancakes and it worked great for that. Much faster than my hand one.  The only thing I don't like is that the container isn't glass and I wonder if it will break easily but seems like everything is plastic these days.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:01 AM »
I don't know about chopping the ginger but I just bought a hamilton beach blender

I saw some of these at the store.  What's the WATTS on yours?  and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?  Also, will it make V8 juice (throw in some carrots, tomatoes, celery, etc and hit go)?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 08:53:08 AM »
I LOVE my kitchen!!!  When I go to the States and have to cook in my Mom's kitchen, it is like torture.  She sees no reason to have some of the things I consider NEEDS in your basic kitchen set up.  But she is coming around. :-*
Good wooden spoons, stainless steel bowls, a heavy duty mixer (I have a Kitchen Aide--THANK YOU, JAMES!), food processor, good hand mixer (for quick jobs), a little food chopper (my daughters hardly use a knife anymore!), a good set of knives (I have Pampered Chef's although I won't be purchasing anything else from them due to what they support :'(), and probably the most used tool in my kitchen.....A LARGE CROCK POT.  We also have stonewear which I highly recommend, but it is not a necessity at first.  Oh, cooling racks are also great to have, we have six and would use more! 

Along these same lines, I ordered my kefir and kombucha yesterday (I am so excited to get them!) and I was wondering what you all ferment your stuff in...........glass or what?  I would really like to hear from those of you in the hot parts of the country similar to South America.  How long do you let it sit?  In what do you store it?  How long is it good?  And you get the picture.  Thank you for your input.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 08:53:45 AM »
What does pampered chef support ???

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 09:02:48 AM »
What does pampered chef support ???
I think the company was sold and the new owner support pro choice. I think that is what I heard. 

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 09:04:34 AM »
I have a friend who was with PC for several years and she went digging and found that they support ProChoice clinics (abortion).  So, she and another friend started their own business which is very comparable to PC in price and product.  I have bought several items from them and am basically pleased with my purchases.  If anyone is interested I could get their info and post it.  I think that with shipping though it may get pricey. :-\
I have travelled in a lot of our great States and know of many women selling PC, it is not my mission to inform them of what PC does with their $$$.  I just won't buy their product anymore, and yes, I am sad, I really liked the whole "pampered" thing :(
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »
I saw some of these at the store.  What's the WATTS on yours?  and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?  Also, will it make V8 juice (throw in some carrots, tomatoes, celery, etc and hit go)?

It is 400 watts. Got it at good ole' walmart  ;D I think it was around 50.  It does say you can chop veggies but you do have to put liquid in there but I guess if you kept chopping it would eventually be juice.  ???
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 10:06:14 AM by healthybratt »

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 09:10:23 AM »
Well, I'm glad I don't want any more Pampered Chef stuff! I got quite burned out going to all those parties  :D

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 09:13:28 AM »
Back to the kitchen inventory.  Castiron frying pans are a must.  I even took one back to the U.S. with me on furlough!  We were blessed to be travelling through Tennessee and my MAN stopped at the Lodge Factory Outlet and we got a few things :P  And someone in another thread mentioned size being a factor.  I have a 22 inch skillet that will hold more than 5 lbs. of hamburger at a time.  It is known by the youth at our local churches as the "Sloppy Joe Pan" I can't imagine needing a bigger one!  It would take two burners :o  Anyway, we use our castiron everyday.  We, too, do cornbread in the oven, HB, and it is awesome.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 09:16:50 AM »
My cast iron tea kettle is probably the most used and most valuable in our house.  It weighs as much as a horse, but it doesn't have the aluminum in it to leak into the tea water.  You can get one fairly cheap at Hearth and Home.  But if anyone has found one cheaper than that(39.99) let me know.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 10:03:53 AM »
Good wooden spoons

I recommend Bamboo.  I just got some at Walmart a couple of weeks ago and I love them so much more than my old wooden ones (I used to have oak).  They don't splinter and fall apart when I clean them and stuff doesn't stick to them as bad (like rice); however if you eat a lot of rice, I would recommend a rice paddle.  You can get them at the Asian food market and they rock for stirring and serving your rice and they wash so easily.

Along these same lines, I ordered my kefir and kombucha yesterday (I am so excited to get them!) and I was wondering what you all ferment your stuff in...........glass or what? 
  I think Glass is recommended for both.  I just ordered some too, been watching the mail like a boiling pot -- still not here.  :-\

I got a bunch of glass gallon jars from a restaraunt in town thanks to someone's suggestion in another thread (don't recall who).  They will be perfect for the kombucha  I think. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »
but you do have to put liquid in there but I guess if you kept chopping it would eventually be juice.  ???

Darn!  I was hoping for something that didn't need any liquid added.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 10:08:13 AM »
I wish I could bring back some good Brasilian hard wood spoons for everyone! :-*  They are awesome, my non-culinary Mother :P even requests them when someone is going that way!
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »
I have a friend who was with PC for several years and she went digging and found that they support ProChoice clinics (abortion). 

I think if you did enough digging you could find dirt on everyone who distributes any kind of product and unless you aren't going to shop anymore, this could cause a problem.  I'm guessing this isn't their mainstay in life (to support abortion clincs).  They're in business to make money, just like everyone else.  If I'm totally misguided here, please, enlighten me. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 10:23:14 AM »
The whole thing with my friend was, her superiors were hiding it.................she asked a question and got the run around so had to dig for herself.  I totally agree with the "everyone promotes SOMETHING bad idea, this is just one small way I can have a clean conscience according to James 4:17.  My temperament is melancholy and sometimes the meticulousness gets a little overwhelming, but when something is called to my attention it has to be addressed.  This is completely personal and just one of my melancholy quirks :D  ::)  :-\
I truly love the fellowship on this forum, and can only wonder how wonderful it will be to have communion with the saints in Heaven!
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »
Hi, I would like some advice for a new to the health scene mom and wife.  I am having a b-day in Aug and will likely get some money and I would like to know what your favorite kitchen appliance is that helps you in making healthy meals for your families.  I do have a Berkey water filter (last year's b-day purchase!) and stainless steel cookware, but thats about it.  Should I go for a grain mill, yogurt maker, Bosch blender???  Please help!

Personally I would go for the grain mill.  You can make yogurt without a yogurt maker, (though I think you can get those for only $20).  The biggest thing with me is whole grains.  Hubby is buying me a grain mill the end of this month and I'm so excited!  You can get by without a heavy duty blender as well...haven't found a suitable workaround for a grainmill yet.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
Sorry not to bring up the pampered thing again but as i was reading this thread and thinking of the things i can replace and thus support my sil in her PC business then i read the nono on PC and i said :o . what to do what to do? well i looked into this http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/buffett.asp
  it helped a little! I dunno -i don't think i would say anything to her cos she is soooo excited about it!  ??? ANYWAYS thanks for all the info ladies!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 02:09:41 PM »
Sorry not to bring up the pampered thing again but as i was reading this thread and thinking of the things i can replace and thus support my sil in her PC business then i read the nono on PC and i said :o . what to do what to do? well i looked into this http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/buffett.asp
  it helped a little! I dunno -i don't think i would say anything to her cos she is soooo excited about it!  ??? ANYWAYS thanks for all the info ladies!!

I use snopes all the time to invalidate some of those really silly emails I get from my friends who are just a bit on the "gullable" side.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline OneMaster

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 02:55:53 PM »

While everyone is making suggestions, does anyone have a food processor that will do it all, including making smoothies and fruit juices?

My husband just bought me the Bosch Universal Mixer when baby #5 was born 3 months ago.  It is wonderful for bread.  I can make 2 or more whole wheat loaves in and hour from start to finish -- yes including the rising and baking!  It also has a blender that they liken to the Vitamix.  It isn't quite the machine a Vitamix is, but it does do ice, which many blenders can't do.  And makes wonderful smoothies.  Don't know much about ginger... my husband would eat out if I was preparing fresh ginger  :D

You can get a food processor to go on the system as well, but I don't have that.  I would think it would do a good job, and it is nice to have eveything in one machine.  I had a Kitchen Aid before with multiple attachments and liked it.  The Bosch can handle a lot more, though, and really kneads bread amazingly well.  Speaking of bread, how's that going HB?  Hopefully not too many croutons lately ;)
"I am your sunny day, Mama!" Joey, age 2.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 07:07:46 PM »
Don't know much about ginger... my husband would eat out if I was preparing fresh ginger  :D
  Have to chop it for my tinctures  ;)

Speaking of bread, how's that going HB?  Hopefully not too many croutons lately ;)
  It's not.  Haven't even tried since the crouton deal.  It's been so hot and humid, I'm doing good to walk from one room to anther much less knead bread - ugh.  Plus I've been doing a lot of reorganising of my storage space to make room for my bulk foods and kombucha tea (It's coming - should be here tomorrow - yippeee!) and everything else I'm acquiring.  HAHAHA! 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »
Thanks for all the great ideas!!  I think that I will probably go with a grain mill, now I just need to decide which one!  Also may look at getting some better pans for baking bread.  I have the PC stone ones, but have looked at Urban Homemaker an saw the tin ones.  Doesn't anyone know what is best...health wise.  I know that Nourishing Traditions recommends stone, but I'm not sure why and if the tin is not healthy...keep the suggestions coming :)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2006, 10:45:48 AM »
Hi, I think that the WonderMill is a great option!  It doesn't heat up as hot as some electric mills, which is better for your flour.  Also, it is much quieter.  A big plus!  I have a Magic Mill III.  It sounds like a rocket.  The wondermill is a much better presentation.  It puts your flour into a seperate container, that can also serve as a storage container.  I am actually saving up to replace my magic mill with a wondermill....someday....I hope!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2006, 10:49:38 AM »
As for bread pans: I have never used stone, but glass did NOT work for me (they say bread doesn't bake well in clear pans). I had teflon, but didn't like knowing it was just aluminum coated in I'm-not-sure-what, so I got stainless steel. They are hard to find, but I got mine through a friend's co-op. I love 'em.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2006, 12:38:16 PM »
if you eat a lot of rice, I would recommend a rice paddle.  You can get them at the Asian food market and they rock for stirring and serving your rice and they wash so easily.

I forgot to mention that these work really well for mixing bread and biscuit dough because they are shaped like a spatula but they are stiff like a spoon and non-stick.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 09:32:18 AM »
I was wondering if more people have ideas of kitchen items. I am ordering the natural peanut butter stirrer suggested on another thread. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Grandpa-Witmers-Fashioned-Natural-3214/dp/B0007SN5S4

I also loved good quality spatulas and my wooden spoons from Lehmans. I love my PC large mixing cup. I don't know how I would do without it. All my stainless steel pots are a must.

Anyone use a good yogurt maker? Any other ideas?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
I was wondering if more people have ideas of kitchen items. I am ordering the natural peanut butter stirrer suggested on another thread. Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Grandpa-Witmers-Fashioned-Natural-3214/dp/B0007SN5S4

I also loved good quality spatulas and my wooden spoons from Lehmans. I love my PC large mixing cup. I don't know how I would do without it. All my stainless steel pots are a must.

Anyone use a good yogurt maker? Any other ideas?

I found it at Lehman's cheaper.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=5912

and even cheaper (I think shipping is free) at this site

http://witmerproducts.com/pbutter.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:40:14 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

freshisbest

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 03:11:04 AM »
OK I'm back-tracking here to a post about blenders....I have the same question....I use a Cuisinart Food processor a LOT. I also use my coffee mill for small jobs so need something that can do that too. ( Washing it out all the time to switch between coffee, herbs, goot etc is a pain.) We have a Hamilton Beach Juicer that will do greens too so its great but it was cheap, about 25 bucks, and left a lot of food behind ( unprocessed).  The Electrolux Assistant I think does everything including make HUGE batches of bread...big $$ , but if you're going to spend money one time that would be an option. Then you can add the attachments. I guess I'm asking for the moon but I'd like something universal and cheaper. Also...what kind of Deep Fryer does anyone use ?? Sorry but we are becominig fry-fans.

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 02:26:18 PM »
Hamilton Beach makes a line of stainless steel bakeware.  Found my at the Kitchen Collection at an outlet mall.  However, I want some feedback about waffle makers.   Brands, pros, cons, etc.   Thank you in advance.