Author Topic: rice cooker  (Read 17519 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: rice cooker
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »
yippee!!!  do they usually cook as fast as rice?   ;D  i've been putting off cooking a bunch of dry beans, cuz they take so long in the CP.  now i will be busy!!  thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 04:56:04 AM »
Sorry, I just saw this now.  I guess you've probably already figured it out on your own, but I'll answer just in case.
I soak my beans until they split, which can take 1-2 full days.  Then I cook them in the rice cooker with water and cook until the water is gone, at which point the cooker automatically switches to the "warm" setting.  In my experience, beans take longer than rice, but we like our brown rice al dente and our beans soft, so I add a little more water to the beans and a little less water to the rice.
It just takes a couple of tries and you'll have it down to a science.  The good thing is that if you start a bit early, you can try it and then add more water if you want them softer.  If not, they will stay warm for a couple of hours before they begin to dry out.  HTH    ~L

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »
well, i made several batches of black beans one day and they were pretty dry and made kind of a mess of the inside of the rice cooker.  so i think i'll stick to doing those in the crockpot.  i love the rice cooker for rice, but it is finicky.  kinda hard to get it turned on and working!  oh well, thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."