Author Topic: rice cooker  (Read 17715 times)

Offline Lauralee

• Adept
rice cooker
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:56:26 AM »
I am looking to buy a rice cooker. Can anyone reccommend a specific brand? No non-stick surfaces please. Thanks

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
Re: rice cooker
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 03:01:53 PM »
I know this post is from a long time ago but I wanted to share about a wonderful rice cooker I use.  The brand name is  zojirushi.  I got it at an Asian market locally, but you can get them at this site.

http://www.zojirushi.com/

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
I'm from Thailand..
We get upset if there's not any rice made 24/7...

Zojirushi is more costly, but is INDEED the best one to get.  They last forever . ;D
Wife to Patrick
Mother to Karina, Keenan, Kyra, Kainos, and Kemuel
My blog  www.xanga.com/smithzonian
www.xanga.com/prayforKemuel

I HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF HIS GRACE

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
I know this post is from a long time ago but I wanted to share about a wonderful rice cooker I use.  The brand name is  zojirushi.  I got it at an Asian market locally, but you can get them at this site.

http://www.zojirushi.com/
I have one.  Like it and use it alot (almost daily) ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »
What are the bowls that the rice steams in made of on this brand?

Are there any brands that have stainless steel (or possible glass) as the cooking bowl?

Thanks,
Cara

Offline smithzonian

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 07:25:24 PM »
I was looking online and it looks like they're non-stick aluminum with stainless steel out lining.

Are there any brands that have stainless steel (or possible glass) as the cooking bowl?

Thanks,
Cara
Wife to Patrick
Mother to Karina, Keenan, Kyra, Kainos, and Kemuel
My blog  www.xanga.com/smithzonian
www.xanga.com/prayforKemuel

I HAVE A BREATHTAKING VIEW OF HIS GRACE

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:56 AM »
I was looking online and it looks like they're non-stick aluminum with stainless steel out lining.

Thanks,
Cara
Mine is aluminum painted with some plastic or vinyl coating of some kind.  I'd like one made of steel, but haven't found one yet and don't have the $$ to upgrade right now.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 08:00:34 AM »
Hmm, I wonder what the deal is with stainless?  Maybe the rice just sticks to it in a rice cooker.  I've never seen one that is stainless, that was why I was hopeful.

Thank you ladies,
Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:25:52 AM »
Hmm, I wonder what the deal is with stainless?  Maybe the rice just sticks to it in a rice cooker.  I've never seen one that is stainless, that was why I was hopeful.

Thank you ladies,
Cara
If you cook white rice on the stove, the bottom will get brown and crunchy.  Maybe this is why??  I know that this is actually considered a treat though.  Crunchy (burnt) rice is peeled off the bottom of the wet rice and broken into pieces and eaten as a crunchy snack (kinda tastes like burnt popcorn kernals).  They even make candy with this flavor.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 08:29:17 AM »
I wanted a rice cooker recently. Went to buy one..... Couldn't find one without aluminum and/or non-stick poison.
 :-\

cecac

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »

Thank you ladies,
Cara
If you cook white rice on the stove, the bottom will get brown and crunchy.  Maybe this is why??  I know that this is actually considered a treat though.  Crunchy (burnt) rice is peeled off the bottom of the wet rice and broken into pieces and eaten as a crunchy snack (kinda tastes like burnt popcorn kernals).  They even make candy with this flavor.  ;D

Naughty naughty, I thought we weren't supposed to burn our rice.  That does sound good, though, so maybe I'll on-purpose slightly overcook my rice and try that treat.  Somehow, maple syrup drizzled over it sounds good!!

I did try to buy a rice cooker a while back and had the same problem as you, Kristen. :-\  I noticed there are crock pot options on another thread, so it got me to thinking again.  May try that overnight for some rice cereal.

Maybe, on the other hand, the rice cooker will be too expensive if it's stainless ???.  nahhh, they'll try to sell anything if they think there's a market....

Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:38:32 PM »

Thank you ladies,
Cara

Naughty naughty, I thought we weren't supposed to burn our rice.  That does sound good, though, so maybe I'll on-purpose slightly overcook my rice and try that treat.  Somehow, maple syrup drizzled over it sounds good!!

I did try to buy a rice cooker a while back and had the same problem as you, Kristen. :-\  I noticed there are crock pot options on another thread, so it got me to thinking again.  May try that overnight for some rice cereal.

Maybe, on the other hand, the rice cooker will be too expensive if it's stainless ???.  nahhh, they'll try to sell anything if they think there's a market....

Cara
why would crunchy rice be naughty?  It's tricky.  When it starts to brown, you turn the heat way down and then scrape out the rice and leave a "bowl" made out of the crunchy edges.  Then leave this rice in the pan and cook on very low heat until browned well and very dry.  Be forewarned, this is difficult to clean off the bottom of your steel pans.  MIL usually reserves a certain pan for this.  Teflon doesn't work at all, I've tried it.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Oh, I understand now, there is definite technique going on with this. LOL,  I honestly thought you were talking about when we accidently let it stick :o.  We need to try this.

Thanks for the directions!!
cara

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 02:27:13 PM »

Cara

If I have something in the oven, I like to oven cook my rice, too. 
You measure the water and bring it to a boil on the stove top while the rice is heating in the oven on a cookie sheet.  We let ours get a little browned and toasty.  Pour the hot rice into a buttered GLASS casserole (I prefer to cook in glass or cast iron) and pour the boiling water over it.  Cover and bake for same time as stovetop method; 20 minutes for white, 45 minutes for brown.
This way, I can add seasonings to the rice, if desired.  Also doesn't have to be as time critical.  An extra five minutes doesn't make a huge difference.  The rice is nice, soft, and fluffy.  When I found this recipe, it was named 'Feather Rice'. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline veggiemum

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 06:38:52 PM »
I wanted a rice cooker recently. Went to buy one..... Couldn't find one without aluminum and/or non-stick poison.
I found a rice cooker online that has a stainless steel inner bowl, I haven't been able to afford it yet, I know of one person who really likes hers.

Look on this site:  www.ultimate-weight-products.com/page/UN/PROD/rice/Q-MIR-ME8   

This is my first time posting, I'm not sure how to do a link, hope just typing it out works.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:42:37 AM by healthybratt »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »
I found a rice cooker online that has a stainless steel inner bowl, I haven't been able to afford it yet, I know of one person who really likes hers.

Look on this site:  www.ultimate-weight-products.com/page/UN/PROD/rice/Q-MIR-ME8   

This is my first time posting, I'm not sure how to do a link, hope just typing it out works.
Thanks, I just added it to my Wish List for hubby.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 09:04:14 AM »
I just bought a Zogirushi today. ;D

I wanted to go stainless, but the thing is the stainless ones do not come with some of the features that the Zogirushi comes with.  Also, rice sticking to the bottom can be a problem with stainless.

I got a "Fuzzy Logic" one.  Evidently, this bugger is smart.  I'll let ya'll know how it does with my food. 

I bought a rice cooker cookbook to go with it--there is a whole lot more than rice which can be cooked with these machines.  I'm looking forward to this.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 05:19:11 AM »
i just picked up a rice cooker at Goodwill  ;D yesterday!! i've wanted one for a long time!  but i've read through the book and it's vague on amounts of rice and water.  it kinda looks like you use a little more water (1/4 c. or so) more water than rice, but not sure.  there is no chart or anything.  it's a Sanyo.  does anyone know if this is right? 

also, can you cook brown rice in it with no problem?  does it take longer? i think it looks like it does the cooking automatically then changes to warm.  i appreciate the help! thanks!
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline aireachail

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »
I *think* we decided to use twice as much water as rice in our cooker.

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »
i just picked up a rice cooker at Goodwill  ;D yesterday!! i've wanted one for a long time!  but i've read through the book and it's vague on amounts of rice and water.  it kinda looks like you use a little more water (1/4 c. or so) more water than rice, but not sure.  there is no chart or anything.  it's a Sanyo.  does anyone know if this is right? 

also, can you cook brown rice in it with no problem?  does it take longer? i think it looks like it does the cooking automatically then changes to warm.  i appreciate the help! thanks!

I have a thrift store rice cooker as well.  This is what I do for long grain brown rice.  I use a rice to water ratio of about 1:1.75.  This seems to work for me. I think you will just have to play with it.  I would guess a ration of 1:1.5 - 1:2 should work.  

HTH, Tammy

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »
I do brown rice in mine, and I use a 2:1 ratio of water to brown rice.  Have fun with it!  I love mine. :)
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:12 PM »
thanks gals! i am going to try it tomorrow! 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
If you don't have a rice cooker but do have a crockpot here's good way to cook rice that leaves your stove burners free for other things. When it's done you can shift the temp to warm although I never do- it keeps warm for quite a while anyways. I use brown but it should work with white as well.

The trick to get a crockpot to cook rice in the same length of time as it takes on the stove is to preheat the elec part & the crock- that way you save the time it normally takes a crockpot to heat everything up & get it to boiling.

Set the crock in the crockpot body (empty) & get it to preheating.

Boil some water on the stove & pour it into the crockpot to help heat the crock up.

Boil more water on the stove, the amount you want for the finished rice.

Wash rice & toast dry in a skillet if you want. (I usually do this- it helps bring out brown rice's nutty flavor) 

Dump the preheat water, (which will have cooled down some b/c the crock will have absorbed some of the heat) pour the boiling water into the crockpot, add rice, stir, cover & cook on high until done. (usually about 45mins to an hr for brown rice)

Admittedly, it's more work than cooking it on top of the stove but it doesn't burn & you don't have to watch it. It's great too when you have multiple things cooking & have ran out of burners.  :D

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 02:34:13 AM »
Ohh....I have to add something here.  I know where to get a stainless steel rice cooker.  Saw one recently on wilderness family naturals

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MRCS&Category_Code=NEW

was wanting to get it, but we had just bought a new one from Costco, so guess Ill have to wait on this one. 

Offline christinakm

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 04:23:20 PM »
Thank you. I have been looking for a stainless one. I had one that had aluminum in it, and sent it back. It was teflon coated. I loved it, but really diddn't want to go down the route.
Thanks for sharing

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
well, i did the 2/1 ratio and it turned out great!  it was done so fast i was amazed!  and i always used to cook it too long in the crockpot and it would burn so this was great!  thanks for the helpful advice!  the only thing that was odd was a little puddle of "ricey" water under it.  seems maybe the drip catch thing in back didn't catch it.  no big deal though!

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 03:18:40 AM »
well, i did the 2/1 ratio and it turned out great!  it was done so fast i was amazed!  and i always used to cook it too long in the crockpot and it would burn so this was great!  thanks for the helpful advice!  the only thing that was odd was a little puddle of "ricey" water under it.  seems maybe the drip catch thing in back didn't catch it.  no big deal though!

Great.  Mine always leaks a little...maybe why I got it at a thrift store?  I just put a folded towel next to it when I make rice.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 06:41:45 PM »

Great.  Mine always leaks a little...maybe why I got it at a thrift store?  I just put a folded towel next to it when I make rice.

LOL, i thought the same thing! oh THAT'S why it was at goodwill!  it works though!  ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
ok, this may sound silly, but i'm wondering if anyone has used their rice cooker to cook dry beans?  i was thinking that they are both hard, dry, etc. and since beans can be cooked in a pressure cooker a rice cooker might work.  and it would be fast and easy.  anyone???  ;D

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
As long as they soak first, it should be fine.  We use our stainless steel Miracle rice cooker daily for oat groats for breakfast, and most nights for either rice or beans or steamed veggies.
I just put the groats in the night before with water and plug it in so it defaults to the warm setting.  Beans are the same, except that I soak them 24-48 hours in a bucket first.  I LOVE my rice cooker.  My 8yo son has been using it to cook these foods on his own for two years.    ~L