Author Topic: Buying plantain and comfrey seeds/plants  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
Buying plantain and comfrey seeds/plants
« on: August 26, 2007, 02:39:06 PM »
I went to a nursery today to buy some plantain - I called ahead of time and they said they had it.  We could not find it.  The only plant that said "plantain" didn't look anything like the herb pictures I have.  So I'm wondering where to buy, and what kind, for comfrey and plantain to be able to grow my own plants.
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Re: Buying plantain and comfrey seeds/plants
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 02:26:14 AM »
Where do you live?  I could pull some up from my house and send them to you.  They are a weed around here!

Offline Rene

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:26:56 AM »
Oh that would be wonderful!  I'm in Houston, TX.
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:11:25 AM »
I got my comfrey and plantain from Horizon Herbs.  They are very reasonable and my plants have done very well this year. 
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:02:53 AM »
Plaintain is very plentiful in most regions.  I can't imagine you needing to buy it.

Check this thread.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2900.msg26873.html#msg26873
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 05:22:58 AM »
Plaintain is very plentiful in most regions.  I can't imagine you needing to buy it.

We live in town and most people spray their yards, so I decided to plant it in my herb garden just to be sure that I have some handy when I need it.  We have gone out and picked it in the country though.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Rene

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 09:38:53 AM »

Check this thread.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2900.msg26873.html#msg26873

I've looked around for it here and there - before I knew what it looked like my kids had gotten stung by bees and I was desperate - they cried for 5 hours before falling asleep in exhaustion.  I just knew that plantain was a common yard weed.  So I went to the yard, found a common weed,  chewed it up and slapped it on.  It didn't help and the kids thought I'd lost my mind.  About a year later I found out what I had chewed up - Dandelion.  ::)  LOL 

I think I'll check out the site mentioned above.  Thanks!
(
  )
 (
__

Offline Rene

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »
I got my comfrey and plantain from Horizon Herbs.  They are very reasonable and my plants have done very well this year. 

Which type of plantain do I get?  There are so many different varieties.
(
  )
 (
__

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »
You want the broadleaf variety.  I'm told it is the best for making medicine.