Natural Health => Children's Health => : 4lilkeepers March 01, 2007, 06:25:11 AM

: Bellybutton issues with a newborn....could someone please offer opinions?
: 4lilkeepers March 01, 2007, 06:25:11 AM
Her cord thingy fell off monday.  It has bled a little, but nothing major.  It looks fine until you pull down the skin at the bottom and theres a gaping hole where the skin hasn't grown together and you can still see a place that looks like the remenents of her cord.  it's rather gross. Is this something to worry about and if not, how long will it take to grow together?  I'm pretty sure it isn't a hernia, but out of 4 kids, I've never experienced this.

worried,
4lilkeepers
: miff aka Missi March 01, 2007, 06:43:23 AM
Do you put something on it regularly?  like alcohol?  ??

And do you have access to a digital camera?  If some of the ladies on here could actually see it, they could probably tell you what to do.

Missi
: savedbygrace March 01, 2007, 07:11:08 AM
I wouldn't put alcohol on it. If it is a hole, the alcohol would go into her system. From what I have heard, it is not safe internally. Even if it doesn't go into her system, it would dry out the skin and cause infection if used often. (this happened to my 2nd baby)

Is it a hole like, Can you see into her belly? One of mine had leftover umbilical cord stuff after the stump fell off. Maybe it just needs time to dry up and heal. You could just keep it clean with water (if it is a hole, I wouldn't use anything but water) maybe a drop of colloidal silver. Have you cleaned it real good with a q-tip? Let the area get plenty of air...
: lotsaboys March 01, 2007, 07:31:12 AM
We've had excellent results using golden seal powder! Some of my babies's cords fell off as soon as 3 days and never had a problem with infection or bleeding. I learned it helped to not be afraid to lift it up as far as I could to get the powder down in as deep as I could, like in the "hole" you mentioned. It will not give baby any pain.

HTH!
: joeswife March 01, 2007, 09:56:27 AM
I second the golden seal powder! When I have used rubbing alcohol it seems to stay wet. The powder dries it out.

The main thing to look out for is any signs of infection...(like:yellow puss)

I don't think it is anything to worry about, just keep an eye on it.
: boysmama March 01, 2007, 11:04:54 AM
One of my boy's belly button hole withdrew in his belly before the stub really healed. It just didn't get a chance to dry out.( Even though it is probably not the best) I would swab it at every diaper change w/ a qtip dipped in alchohol. I gently spread the belly button area to get the raw area as high as possible and then loosely packed the area with coarse gauze to allow that area to breathe and dry out. After that it took only a few days to get it healed over.
: twitterpated4hubby March 02, 2007, 06:04:12 AM
I read something about using diluted garlic juice to keep it from getting infected. Maybe a few drops mixed with olive oil would help it heal up.
: JVasquez March 03, 2007, 12:38:34 PM
Witch hazel is best to be used to dry it up. It worked better then alcohol because it doens't sting. But only try to dry it up if part of the chord is still there. If you think it's an opening into the abdominal wall you should go to your midwife or doctor.
: blackbird March 05, 2007, 03:46:18 AM
My last baby had this.  He is 10 months now.  I just kept it clean and tried not to panic ( I am a mom).  It would leave blood stains in the diaper for a few weeks before it finally stopped and healed up completely.  It got kind of gross looking ..a lillte crusty even.  I think it is okay as long as it is not seeping or bleeding a lot and doesn't look infected.  Hang in there and use your best instict.  My first 2 had no belly button issues like this.

Rachel
: kenj March 05, 2007, 06:21:13 AM
Just had our seventh on the 3rd!  We've loved using Wish Garden Cord Care Powder, available from homebirth suppliers.  It has grape root powder as well as goldenseal.

: jaemom May 04, 2007, 01:24:53 PM
Ok, my son will be 4 weeks on Tuesday and his stump hasn't fallen off yet.  It started smelling today, but I'm not sure if it's because it's infected or because it's hung on so long.  It doesn't even look like it's going to fall off for at least another week or so.  The Dr said he has a hernia.  I clean the stump every diaper change with alcohol, making sure I lift it up and get up under the black part.  Sometimes the stump seems to go into his belly button hole, so I have to pull on it a little to swab under it, when I do it pulls what looks like leftover cord out.  I was thinking he's going to have an outie.   ???  Can I get goldenseal powder at the HFS?  I've never dealt with this before as all my other kids' cords fell off no later than the two week mark and none of them had hernias.  TIA for any advice.
: jaemom May 05, 2007, 02:55:42 AM
bump  ;)
: ladyhen May 05, 2007, 05:55:52 AM
I don't know what to tell you about the long time that the cord is staying on.  Some of my 5 children's cords stayed on longer than I thought they should, up to around 3 1/2 or 4 for one of them.  All different rates of healing, I suppose.
You can get goldenseal at the hfs, in capsules which you can then open and put a little around the stump.  This would probably help, if infection is present.
: corriebeth May 05, 2007, 06:05:52 AM
My son's cord didn't fall off until almost 6 weeks! It didn't really have a whole under it or anything, I just couldn't believe how  long it took! I used alcohol (this was pre-WTM days) on it regularly. But... when it first fell off, it looked "outtie-ish," with a little ball in the center of the indentation. Now he is 19 months and it is just a perfect little innie belly button, not that outties can't be perfect too!

Just my experience...
: lotsaboys May 05, 2007, 06:51:36 AM
Goldenseal is very easy to find- even Wal-Mart has it. I think that should do the trick for you- I love that stuff for belly buttons!
: AllinHisTime May 05, 2007, 06:56:08 AM

Yes, I agree!  It is at WalMart, I was just there the other day.  It does work great for belly button cords....I used it on my last baby and it fell off in 3 days.  One word of advice, if you don't want to stain the onesie or little outfit you have them in, you may want to put a piece of gauze (cut in little squares) over it, otherwise it does leave a little stain.
: lotsaboys May 05, 2007, 07:02:08 AM
Good point. I have some stained onesies I use exclusively until the cord is off.  THEN I can use my nice, white ones. :)
: kittyninja May 12, 2007, 01:11:21 PM
my 4 wk old still has seepage from his button and you can see in bit...no infection just goopy brown stuff :-X. anyways, you think it would be ok to give him a bath in water or should i just keep sponge bathing him?
: shesaidthis May 12, 2007, 01:28:14 PM
My third child didn't lose his cord until he was 6 weeks old.  I gave him a couple of regular baths and just made sure I used alcohol on the stump afterward to dry any moisture from the bath.  I still gave him sponge baths between regular baths to keep from getting the stump wet too often.  HTH
: kittyninja May 12, 2007, 01:37:13 PM
ok he already lost his cord..ok it was premamturely ripped off (not be me but an accident) and it's just weird that it is "open" i mean the hole...
: Whiterock May 12, 2007, 02:46:15 PM
Keep it dry and clean 'til it heals in there (that's what my pediatrician said).
WR
: jaemom May 12, 2007, 03:47:55 PM
Same thing for us.....mine has a hernia though.  His stump fell off yesterday and he has this goopy stuff sticking out with the hernia.  I was wondering if that was normal and if I should continue the alcohol, but it's my understanding that the hernia is a small hole in his belly and I shouldn't use alcohol??   ???  At least it doesn't smell as bad as it did.   :P
: Whiterock May 13, 2007, 01:59:19 PM
Josiah's had goop and it smelled. I never put alcohol on it. I used H2O2 and a Q-tip to gently clean it. I just put a little on with one end of the Q-tip and then cleaned it 'til dry with the other end (or as many Q-tips as I needed). I tried not to go too deep just stayed around the surface as best I could. And twice I used an herbal decoction to do the same.

WR
: Helpmeetmom May 13, 2007, 08:25:31 PM
I was well advised not to put alcohol on the little belly button at any time.  "It preserves the chord" my midwife told me,and gave me gold bond.  My son's umbilical chord fell off in a few days, and my friend who'd had her baby a few days before mine called me a week later (her baby was now TEN days old!) to ask how my child's belly button was doing, and then when I told her, she asked to borrow some gold bond.  Her child was 3 days older than mine and she'd been applying alcohol--like her doc said.  I don't know if that particular powder was a good thing.  I didn't have time to research it then.  Now, my child's button did start to smell like decay and even bled a little.  I, of course in my post pardom state, called my midwife and a friend in a bit of a panic who both told me it was totally normal and just keep it clean.   The baby never even cried when I swabbed the area, and the whole ordeal didn't last more than a day.  ANyway, hope it helps.
: nexis777 May 13, 2007, 09:37:43 PM
I was also told by my mid-wife not to use alcohol. She said the bacteria that grows on the umbilical cord is what helps it fall off and heal faster. The alcohol kills the bacteria, so it's essentially like making the umbilical cord hang there longer than it's supposed to. God made our bodies to naturally detach the cord without any help  from us. The alcohol slows down that natural process. Made sense to me. My first born, I used the alcohol on (Dr's recommendation) and it took 10 days or so to fall off. My daughter I did not use the alcohol on and it fell off in like 3 days. I was shocked!! It may bleed a tidge, but it's just fine. Keep it clean with water and  you'll be amazed how quickly it's over and done with!
: natural May 14, 2007, 02:57:50 AM
Andrew's cord fell off after two weeks...I was using alcohol. There was some goopy tan sticky stuff on a part of the button...Dr said it was some residual cord still not fallen off...it is now disappearing and never had an odor. Just thought I would offer that.
: kittyninja May 24, 2007, 10:59:44 AM
ok now the belly button has something pink sticking out of it. still leaking brown stuff and stinking but something else is popping out! ???
: jaemom May 24, 2007, 11:59:06 AM
Sounds like a hernia to me.   :-\  My 6 wk old has an umbilical hernia, but it seems to be going away.  It looks like the tip of a little finger when it pokes out and it is pink.
: kittyninja May 24, 2007, 12:50:46 PM
oh ok thank you-it kinda creeped me out. will it go back in on it's on?

nevermind i looked it up and i'm pretty sure that's what it is...a hernia and i don't have to worry about it unless a part of bowel or intestine comes out which is extrememly rare...so the internet says! :D
: lorikschaff May 28, 2007, 08:52:48 AM
I used goldenseal powder sprinkled all around the cord stub at every diaper change.  The cord dried up in 3-5 days.  It stains though.
: kittyninja June 04, 2007, 09:15:10 PM
oh ok thank you-it kinda creeped me out. will it go back in on it's on?

so now i found out that it isn't a hernia but a umbilical granuloma...actually hubby looked it up. it's a bit of flesh that got pulled up and left behind. it could be attached to the bowels or intestines. in any case it is now very stinky and pusridden so i am taking him to the dr. it is actually bothering him too. this is actually something that DOES need treatment-actually it needs to be removed.
  Thought i'd post this just in case any of your other babes have one of these little friends. i can post a pic if anyone wants to know what i mean by a little pink finger sticking out!
    Treatment is to tie it off and let it die, or silver nitrate, or freezing it like a wart or something. :-\  poor baby
    kittyninja
: jaemom October 05, 2007, 05:22:03 AM
OK, my son is almost 6 months old now.  I just now noticed these little black things attached to the inside of his belly button.  They are each about the size of a quarter of a grain of rice.  He doesn't smell that I can tell.  Should I just leave it alone?  Or maybe get some goldenseal powder or something to put on it?
: steadygirl October 05, 2007, 11:00:56 AM
    kittyninja

Put some salt on it and cover it with a piece of gauze- works in 3 days! My son had one. It is perfectly safe!!! Here is a link to site. (way down at the bottom)
: seeker October 05, 2007, 11:07:25 AM

Ya know, I would put something on it, just b/c it's not supposed to be there. I don't know anything about goldenseal powder, but I don't think there's anything wrong w/ trying it, right? If that doesn't work, use GOOT or colloidal silver or epsom salts and see if that helps. I would give it a few days of one treatment, though, before trying something else. But that's JMO.  ;)
: kittyninja November 07, 2007, 12:00:46 PM
My son is now almost 7 months. Yesterday hubby noticed his belly button smelled "pus-like". he looked at it and it had pus and was red and irritated. we cleaned it with some warm water but we can't get in there to look to see what the problem is. he's a big boy and don't know if that's giving him a weird belly button or the granuloma he had removed (4 mos ago) or what. but today it's stinky and pus- like again. i cleaned around it with a little peroxide but can't get in there...

any ideas? i've kinda neglected cleaning his belly button since he sits up and i bathe him in the kitchen sink so that's one thought. but maybe something stuck in there irritating it? is peroxide even though i can't see in there. anything else?
: ladyhen November 07, 2007, 12:19:31 PM
Sometimes one of mine would have redness and stinky gooey in their belly button.  I just thought it was from their chubbiness.  They were also prone to red, sour folds in their thighs, arms, necks.  Sometimes it was a yeast issue, but sometimes seemed to just be moisture and heat.

If you could get some peroxide or alcohol into his navel it might dry it up.  But with the granuloma in his history, I wonder if that could be what is happening.

I'm no help.  Sorry.   ???
: RB November 07, 2007, 12:30:58 PM
Our newborn had some bellybutton issues and I put a few drops of tea tree oil on a Q- tip and cleaned out her belly button with it.  It   help get rid of the redness and swelling.

Blessing's RB
: cecac November 07, 2007, 12:45:34 PM
Just had a visit with a dear friend of mine yesterday who has a 5 week old.  The baby's stub had been seeping so she took her to the doctor and the doctor put silver nitrate on it.  That is evidently a stronger antibiotic than Neosporin, which my friend had been using, along with alcohol.

I might try alcohol for the drying affect.  I never used the Neosporin, but maybe a natural antibiotic after the alcohol?  Also, what about GOOT?  Can you use a Q-tip and "get in there" better, and perhaps do it several times a day for a couple of days?

Just some thoughts,
Cara
: CountyCork November 07, 2007, 12:46:04 PM
I got goldenseal powder in my birth kit with my 3rd baby and have used it for 4, 5 and 6 also.  Stump is off in a week or less!
The brand is Wishgarden and I get my kit from In His Hands birth supply in Texas.  You can buy the powder separate from the kit.
It dries and heals both.
: YoopreMama November 07, 2007, 01:01:43 PM
I second the goldenseal powder!
: lotsaboys November 07, 2007, 02:13:39 PM
I second the goldenseal powder!

I third it!!!!!!! I've cleared up all issues like mentioned above with it.
: kittyninja November 07, 2007, 02:49:36 PM
hmmmm now are we still talkin cord stump? cos he don't got that no more! :D the goldenseal powder for the stinky cavernous oh we'll call it a "bellybutton"?
: RB November 07, 2007, 02:52:22 PM
My five week old is the first baby I had used Golden Seal powder with and I had bellybotton issues.   I had read that it was wonderful for to help dry up the cord, but it dried the cord on the outer part and not the inner part.  ( hope that makes sense.)   I finally quick using it and it started looking better and I used the tea tree oil instead.   What did I do wrong?
Blessing's,
  RB
: strawberry November 07, 2007, 03:20:38 PM
I'd definitely drop some tea tree down there (although I was told "*never* put it directly on skin"- so I have mine diluted with water in a jelly jar).
: AllinHisTime November 07, 2007, 03:54:46 PM
I second the goldenseal powder!

I "third" the goldenseal powder.  It can leave a mustard-yellow colored stain on clothes, so we used a piece of gauze over it until it fell off.  With my last baby (now 4 yrs old) I think it was off in 3-5 days.  She has not had any belly button issues.  PTL!

: lotsaboys November 07, 2007, 05:05:17 PM

Goldenseal should work for any stinky, pussy, red situation. :)

Blessing's,
  RB

i would guess that you didn't get it down in deep enough. I learned to lift up the outer part and really shove the goldenseal down in there. It doesn't cause baby any pain and does a great job.
: RB November 08, 2007, 01:44:54 AM

Goldenseal should work for any stinky, pussy, red situation. :)

Blessing's,
  RB

Thats probably what went wrong, as I was only putting the golden seal pwd. on the outside area of the cord.
: berthday July 07, 2008, 11:03:44 AM
Baby's cord started bleeding a little today..he is 11 days old. I have been using alcohol ( didn't know about any thing else till I came on here today) and it is still really attached. The goldenseal powder ya'll have been talking about , is it just a capsule of goldenseal and open it up and sprinkle it on?? Sounds pretty good to me , just wanted to make sure I understand that it is not something made specifically for cord care, just plain goldenseal. Thanks
By the way, welltellme is priceless!!!!!
: mommyjen July 07, 2008, 11:10:19 AM
berthday...did something happen like the cord got pulled or somethiing? The umbilical cord not healing or bleeding could be an indication of a rare problem. I'm sure it's just a stubborn cord though!
: berthday July 07, 2008, 12:17:55 PM

No, not that I know of. Of course it could have gotten irritated by the pamper.?
: happyhomemaker July 07, 2008, 12:44:11 PM
The cord got rubbed off too soon with my 3rd. I had read about the signs to look for if things got infected...we had nearly all of them. :-\  :P ??? Soooooo, I got my co. silver out and put several drops on the bellybutton area. Within the hour (left the area free of clothing, diapers etc...rolled down the diaper) the red and warm areas were gone, and things were looking so much better! I put a drop on it every day and sunned him as I was able. We never had to take him to the doctor, because of this and he's 4 months old now and things are just fine.
: YoopreMama July 07, 2008, 12:51:57 PM
Berthday--

Sounds like what we've encountered.

I've used both--opened goldenseal capsules and sprinkled, as well as a special cord care goldenseal powder.  They both worked the same.  Are you using a Q-tip and really working the alcohol in?

Congratulations!  ;D
: jenstar July 07, 2008, 01:20:43 PM
My last baby is the only one who had any belly button issues - I think because he was so big (9lbs, 3 oz) - It just didn't get any air tucked into all those rolls ;D. I just made sure I washed it well, I put a drop or two of lavender oil in his bath, and then I dried it with a Q-tip (really good) and left his sleeper undone in the middle to let it dry out. Any weepy sore needs AIR to dry out.

I have never tried golden seal but will in the future!
: berthday July 07, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
Thanks Yooper!
Yes I have been working in the alcohol real well with a Q-tip. It just seems to be taking a long time. I'm ready for that first "real" bath. ;)
: all4him July 07, 2008, 11:23:37 PM
My daughter is 5 now, so it's a little fuzzy in my memory, but i had issues with her belly button too. If i remember correctly it took almost 10 weeks for the last of her button to come off! I was about to despair, but i have such a neat midwife, and she really helped me out! She said the baby had a thicker cord then normal? And so a part of it fell off, and she tied the rest of it really tight with a string-- I'm thinkin we did this 3 times! To this day her belly button has an extra little button inside.. I think it's unique! :D
: berthday July 09, 2008, 10:33:19 AM
Today I took ds to his 2 week check up and Dr. said that his cord was thicker than normal and it will take a while for it to fall off. So, when I got home  I opened up a capsule of goldenseal root and dumped it on his cord and then took a Q-tip and packed it in there good. Do I need to worry about the strong smell for baby and also will it dry out his tummy around his cord where some got on it?
: Helpmeetmom July 09, 2008, 05:38:22 PM
I apologize for not taking the time to read this entire thread.  I have read some though.    I read that you were putting alcohol on the bellly button.  My midwife with the last pregnancy, and the one up here in Oh both say that alcohol is a type of preservative (not the food, lol), and never to use it on the chord, it will make it take for-e-ver to fall off.  With my first child, there started to be a smell from the belly button, and I broke down and used alcohol.  Then the drying process was slowed down considerably.  I was sweetly chastised by my midwife, and used the goldenseal instead, and his chord fell off really fast.  A friend who had her baby before mine, called to ask what she should do, since her child's wasn't anywhere near falling off.  She had been using alcohol.  I gave her the goldenseal, and his dried up quickly too.
     My second son's chord fell of quickly, and I didn't use any alcohol.  I've heard from plenty of moms that used alcohol and that didn't, that used natural methods, and from those that didn't, say that a little bit of bleeding, and smell is actually common and normal.  Didn't have bleeding this time.  Midwife said the smell is just the chord decaying.  Also keep in mind that the baby isn't supposed to feel the chord or feel pain from it.  I'm sure everyone knows that.  I did have a little crying jag with my first one when I saw his belly button bleeding.  Hope this helps

: joyfulmarmee28 September 11, 2010, 01:48:46 AM
My 7 week old baby has a small granuloma on her bellybutton. My midwife didn't seem worried about it, and didn't tell me that i needed to do anything about it.
However I just had a child health nurse visit to weigh her and she told me i need to go to the Dr to get some silver nitrate put on it (or it would keep growing). I just looked that up- doesn't sound very nice. Does any one know if it is actually SAFE?? Any other suggestions to use- do I actually NEED to use anything? Anyone else dealt with this?
THANKS
: boysmama September 11, 2010, 03:53:52 PM
I had a granuloma on my thumb, and have dealt with it some in animals. Granulomas do sometimes spontaneously heal from what I've read, but so far I've not found any natural cures. They can be VERY painful, and grow erratically. On a belly button I would want to know that it wasn't growing internally and adherring to internal organs.

As for silver nitrate....I'm not a huge fan of the ingested, inhaled, or prolonged external treatment with silver because it does need to be detoxified out of the body, and the systems for doing so aren't really designed for heavy levels of excretion.
However, I wouldn't mind using silver nitrate in a situation like this, even for a newborn with low body weight. It seems perfectly safe in this application. There may be other options for freezing or burning off the granulation tissue. The doctor I applied to for help with my granuloma used canned nitrogen and sent me home with a few silver nitrate sticks to touch up any cells that might have been missed around the edges.
 Occasionally the tissue is still excised, but freezing or burning is actually preferable as it doesn't leave you with an open wound. Excision is more painful, I tried and it was ...bad.  :o

No matter what method is chosen, removing granulomas can be painful. I don't know if they would use a anesthetic for a baby or not. They just let held me still and let me deal with it.  :D I've found that relief is just a few hours away though. Once the granulation tissue is gone and the immediate pain of treatment is past it heals quickly without much further pain.
: joyfulmarmee28 September 16, 2010, 02:02:57 AM
Thank you for your reply boysmama.

Any one else dealt with this? Or have some thoughts to add?

My 7 week old baby has a small granuloma on her bellybutton.