Health Products => Vitamins & Supplements => : SC July 30, 2006, 02:57:18 AM

: Dimethyl Sulfoxide -- DMSO
: SC July 30, 2006, 02:57:18 AM
Here is a quote from a post I made under "dh's swelling in lower legs" (http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1361.0.html)

"Use DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) as a topical application for symptomatic pain. (14 Carrot has this in a roll on form)

Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Second Edition, by James F. Balch, M.D. and Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C.
p. 51   DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide) – use only health food store grade – not that found in home improvement stores
“Applying DMSO on sprained ankles, pulled muscles, dislocated joints, and even at the site of simple fractures can virtually elimate the pain. It also promoted immune system activity.
 DMSO is absorbed through the skin and enters the bloodstream by osmosis through capillary walls. It is then distributed through the circulatory system, and ultimately excreted through the urine. It has been used successfully in the treatment of brain and spinal cord damage; arthritis, Down syndrome, sciatica and other back problems, keloids, acne, burns, musculoskeletal problems, sports injuries, cancer, cinusitis, headaches, skin ulcers, herpes, and cataracts.
: healthybratt November 11, 2006, 05:31:03 AM
I was looking into purchasing some DSMO.  Anyone know any more about it.  The website has it in pure form but according to FDA or who'sever standards, they are not allowed to tell you how to use it for medicinal purposes and it's listed as a solvent which is a skin irritant.

Any thoughts?  Should I purchase it in pure form or get some cream with a diluted form?
: SC December 09, 2006, 04:17:38 AM
Gusoceros,

So glad you started this thread. I've gotten bits and pieces of my research together and finally settled on a reference book on DMSO that hasn't yet arrived. I'll let you know what I learn in addition to what has been posted here.

I've been doing my own trial with this stuff because I have a child with Down syndrome. Some reports indicated that this can help in both physical and brain development because it helps oxygenate the cells. This has proved very beneficial in children with autism (I believe because they suffer from a brain injury similar to a stroke victim -- just my opinion). However, I haven't seen a lot of information on children with DS. That, coupled with the fact that I don't have information on dosages, etc. has made me cautious.

Of course, it doesn't help my confidence to read all of the cautions on the label. Because the FDA cannot do a double blind study (You KNOW when this stuff hits your system. So the 'blind' doesn't work as the participants know who gets the real stuff and who gets the placebo), it hasn't been approved for human application.

What I have done is used it on adults. In one case, it has been used to combat a persistent fungal condition on the feet with promising results. Because any treatment of this condition takes about 90 days of treatment to draw any conclusions, this is still in process. However, there has been some dramatic improvement of the nail bed and surrounding skin.

In this same person, DMSO has helped with some old scar tissue, helping to level the raised area. Coloring of the scar has normalized somewhat but it remains visible -- just not as noticeable.

Additionally, this was used successfully on an infected ear lobe. Within 6 hours, there was an improvement. By the next day, the area was healed except for a little flakiness. Since that time, the topical use of DMSO has been used on other skin applications, and I have been pleased with the results.

I have learned that it is best to be aware of the type of skin to which DMSO is applied. It can cause a stinging/burning sensation in some people. I found that when applied to the throat (to support the thyroid), it seemed to dry the skin after several applications. I have noticed, though that the thyroid function did seem to normalize. So, it may simply be a function of using the product in less generous amounts and not on a daily, but as needed, basis.

DMSO has also shown some promise in reducing (in one area eliminating) some spider veins. However, I haven't yet tried it on a varicose vein.

In two adult men, I have seen DMSO help alleviate symptoms. With an arthritic/muscle ache problem on the lower back, it helped alleviate pain. This was a male in his late 60s. In a younger man (in his 50s), I saw it help alleviate muscle pain across the shoulders tired from overwork. This may have been counterproductive, as he returned to his work rather than allowing the muscles to rest  ::).

But, my most promising and intriguing result has been in the use of this product on my 3 yr old with DS. He had bumped his mouth getting into/out of bed last week. With the cold weather, the place just didn't seem to want to heal. It got better with some GOOT, but later, the skin cracked again and seemed to be infected with the reopening of the wound.

I decided to try the DMSO on the area as I had been using it on myself long enough to feel comfortable with the application. I put a little bit on his lip and rubbed a little on his tummy as his abdominal muscles lack some tone.

After the first day, the area had gone from the whitish look to a dark pink which is his normal color for his lips. I repeated the application, thinking only about the wound. It didn't occur to me to look for other improvements.

After the second day, I saw something amazing. Apparently, the oxygenating effects on the cells have helped to improve the muscle tone and nerve receptors in his oral area. When I was researching DMSO before, I wondered if it would help normalize his jaw development as he has an under bite that will likely require surgery in a few years. However, I had filed this question away somewhere until this morning.

My little guy has a pretty good vocabulary, but his enunciation isn't the best, and he isn't overly expressive. In other words, his communication is usually one or two words, and meant to convey an immediate need.

Not today; after the second application of DMSO, I left him to check messages on the computer. He walked into the office and said (very clearly), "Ello, Mama." He walked over to me, and I scooped him up into my lap. "Hey, there!" I replied. "Aaaw," he responded, "Iyuvoo." (I love you). Then, he seemed to wait for a moment until he was sure of my favor, "Aboo?" (his word for Kombucha).

Now, that may not sound like much to some of you. But we've had to fight for every milestone in this child's life. We had to teach him how to crawl. Our neighbor built us a slide to use in our living room for this purpose. We've had to work and WORK to get the muscles he needed to wake up and show him how to walk, talk, etc. etc. For this little one to walk into the room and decide to hold his own little unprompted conversation is quite an accomplishment.

I cannot state that DMSO was the only factor. But I can tell you that it's the only thing that has changed since this cognitive leap.

My tentative conclusion thus far is that when there is an area that is degenerating or in need of support, the oxygenating effects of DMSO can be a way to deliver oxygen to the area and speed healing/development.
: Pastorswife2B December 09, 2006, 07:53:12 AM

SC I'm so glad to hear about your son's reaction to dmso!  I was curiouse for personal application how you prepared the DMSO for treatment of spider veins and if this treatment has eliminated them long term?

Thanks!
-Heather
: SC December 09, 2006, 08:32:46 AM

Thanks!
-Heather

I have a bottle with a roll top application. It is from Nature's Gift and it is the formula that has 90% DMSO and 10% distilled water. They have a more diluted formula and another one that is mixed with aloe. I have also purchased this formula in a screw top bottle that I am planning to use internally.

The spider veins were treated topically. It's too soon to tell if this is long term, but they are gone  :-\. My take on it is that the condition has been corrected in this one case. Don't know if it would be helpful in all cases.

Because I prefer to get as close to the original source as I can, for now I'm thinking that we will stay with the DMSO rather than its derrivative, MSM. I'm researching now on DMSO as a daily supplement to be used with my little one. So far, the DMSO testimonials look similar to other testimonials regarding diets and supplements, but I am starting to see a common thread regarding cognitive improvements.

This is making me start to think that the use of DMSO could also be very helpful in patients suffering from brain injury, alzheimers and stroke. This is in addition to its ability to help injured skin restore itself. I have a theory that it may be useful in the treatment of such things as lymphodema (sp?), but this is just a theory at this point.
: SC December 20, 2006, 06:27:45 PM
We've discussed this solvent in several places on this forum. I wanted to share some of my recent findings, so that's why I've started a thread devoted to DMSO. I'll post more information on the solvent itself later (when I've got a little more time). For now, I just wanted to share what effects we've seen in some applications here at our house.

I have a child with Down syndrome. He is on a whole foods diet. We are in our second week of using DMSO topically with him. I use a roll-top applicator and brush some on his belly and across his lips. This is to help oxygenate his mouth and tongue cells and stimulate the nerve endings for speech. The belly application is to support muscle development there.

His speech therapist was left speechless this week. She's been seeing him for over a year and said that she got more out of him in this last session than she has in the last year. His speech is responsive, without prompting and conversational. This is not considered common in a 3 year old with Down syndrome.

The physical therapist has thrown out her evaluation forms. She was here to work with him last week and took notes to compile her evaluation. After today, she said she was glad she hadn't typed them up yet, because she was just going to have to redo all of them. He showed great abdominal control, good squatting stance and, with a little guidance, was able to pedal his tricycle (for the first time). All of this by a child that has only been walking independantly for a little more than 6 months.

Also, this past Sunday, we met with a precious congregation that we love. They are raising money for a project and invite children to put money in a large bank at the pulpit during the offering. I had been walking with my little one to be sure he didn't impose his own idea of worship on everyone else.  :o

This past Sunday, he walked forward on his own, deposited his change and returned with his brother. He only had to be reminded once not to push the pretty little girl out of the way LOL! ::)

The only thing I've been doing differently is the DMSO. I'm still taking notes, but the therapists are convinced.
: Pastorswife2B December 21, 2006, 07:32:35 AM
SC, This is just wonderful!  I'm so happy you've found this and it's working so well!!

-Heather
: Mama Sita December 21, 2006, 09:04:56 AM
I'm impressed! SC, where do you get your DMSO from? I have read about this stuff in the past, but haven't spent much time on it due to homeschooling demands. I have somebody in mind that I would like to recommend it for.

Thanks,
~MS
: SC December 21, 2006, 12:57:52 PM
I purchase mine from the local health food store. I use Nature's Gift brand that comes in a solution of 90% DMSO to 10% distilled water, 3 fl oz for $12.49. You can purchase this in a regular bottle or in a container with a roll-on applicator. It also comes in an aloe blend and in lesser strengths.

I have another application to report. A coworker of my husband's was having some very bad shoulder pain. It was looking like he would have to go through the red tape of workman's comp to get it taken care of. He suspected that at his age, it would require surgery and time off for physical therapy.

When he told me this, I suggested that he try DMSO as he hadn't really anything to lose. He did. I spoke with him a week ago. He stopped my husband at work today to tell him how great DMSO has been. Not only has it relieved him of the pain, but he says the soft tissue has healed. He gives it rave reviews.
: SC December 23, 2006, 03:46:04 PM
Well, there's yet another update. I've gone to using the DMSO on alternating days. Our little guy will always have an extra chromosome, so this will be a long term application. I've read that long term, DMSO continues to be effective in smaller doses/concentrations. So, I've decided on the every other day approach.

I've made the boys little pointy red caps with white edging and pom poms. They are a cute sight when going out with daddy in matching hat. They get lots of comments and smiles and a lot of "Merry Christmas" wishes.

So, just now, I held him and looked at him and said, "Can you say, 'Merry Christmas?'" He hesitated. I said the words slowly and he repeated them one at a time. Then, I said, "Say, 'Merry Christmas!'" He responded, "Airee Ishma."

That's two words, ladies and gentlemen! Two words and two syllables. We'll work on those hard consonants at the beginning of them, but it will come.

I said, "Go tell daddy!" He walked over to his daddy and said, "Airee Ishma!"

Last year at this time, we had a few single words and no walking . . .

This year, we'll have a VERY "Airee Ishma!"
: sarahmontgomery December 24, 2006, 02:23:58 AM
SC,
   Your report is wonderful!  God is so good!  I sat at my computer desk with tears in my eyes,  thank you for making my Christmas Eve brighter!!!  I just wanna shout....

: GraceFaith76 December 24, 2006, 07:01:57 AM
Hi I just noticed your post on DMSO.  I have the 70% DMSO in aloe, but I have tried it on my husband and myself and for both of us the area turn red and got VERY itchy.  Have you had any problems like that?   :-\
: SC December 24, 2006, 10:02:57 AM

I've noticed that if I use too much or put it on an especially thin area of skin (inside arms, neck, belly, etc.) repeatedly, it will get a little itchy and dry. It doesn't take much of this stuff to work. It's like brushing a thin coat of paint on the area -- not like applying a lotion.

HTH
: Pastorswife2B December 24, 2006, 11:01:56 AM

Another thought.. My husband has this exact reaction with ANYTHING containing aloe, so that could be the culprit.

-Heather
: Texas Girl. December 26, 2006, 02:29:53 PM
Hi ~ I was wondering if someone knew of a good online place I could order this?  I went to our local health food store and they no longer sell it.  He recommended a feed store, but I was worried that what they might carry might be the industrial stuff.  Thanks!
: SC December 26, 2006, 04:52:16 PM
The above link has the brand in the roll on applicator that I use at the 90% formulation. They retail it at $8.32, which is way less than I pay locally, but by the time you tack on their shipping, it comes out about the same -- and it's delivered to your door.

I haven't done business with these people. They have a toll free number you can call with questions.

HTH
: mykidsmom December 26, 2006, 08:52:03 PM
SC,

Is there any chance this stuff would help my adrenal glands and/or other hormonal issues?  My adrenals are so close to shutting down and I'm working my tail off naturally to fix them but I wonder if this stuff would help that process?  Any guesses or research?

It is very exciting to hear of your son's progress with this stuff!  What a neat thing to happen at Christmas.   :D

patti
: MumCLS December 26, 2006, 09:27:02 PM
Hello All...
I liked reading about this DMSO stuff.  I am very unfamiliar with this but it sounds so promising when I read about the little Down's Boy!  My 3 month old son has a heart defect (which by the way has been downgraded from "moderate cardiomyopathy" to "mild cardiomyopathy") and possibly Noonan Syndrome.  I say possibly because he has the physical characteristics of Noonan but all of his genetic testing came back normal.  I think I am going to look into this DMSO to see if it could possibly help him out.  Praise the LORD for what He is doing for these "little sheep of HIS"!!!!!!!!!
God Bless you all!
: SC December 27, 2006, 01:27:26 AM
SC,

patti

I'm not certain, Patti  :-\.
In my very unqualified opinion ( 8)), I would think that any area of the body that is attempting to heal itself would benefit from a DMSO application in that the additional oxygen to the cells will support repair/healing. I would just start slow with a once daily application and watch for side effects.

I've also read the cautions on applying DMSO with regard to it "taking" other substances into the skin. My take on it is that the caution is a bit overstated. While I wouldn't want to apply DMSO on my skin if I had cleaning products or some other liquid on the skin, DMSO will kill bacteria and fungus because of its oxygenating properties.

Also, I've seen formulations of DMSO that include aloe. While aloe is fine for a drink or skin application, it isn't a substance that would be beneficial directly injected into the human body. I don't think it can travel with the DMSO into the skin or we'd see some REALLY bad reactions (life-threatening). My opinion is that a substance must have similar qualities of the DMSO in order to be able to move with it into the blood stream and surrounding tissues. Dirt, fungus, bacteria, etc. don't have those properties -- although, I'd want to have the area clean before application.

I'm just thinking that in the instance of the treatment of acne and/or other skin applications, DMSO helps correct the problem. If it took the surface infection deeper instead of killing it, we would be seeing all sorts of counter indications for its use that we aren't seeing.
: SC December 27, 2006, 05:21:30 AM
Just an add on to the previous post.

I did some searching through some scientific and medical essays on the net. I read until my eyes started to cross from all of the medicalspeek. But I learned that DMSO is used as a preservative for organs that are harvested for transplant. Its properties allow it to both penetrate and support the cells of the organ until it can be used.

Also, DMSO is used a lot with experiments on the endocrine system and when they want to know the effects of a substance on major organs (brain, lungs, liver, etc.). The method is to suspend the substance in DMSO and then introduce it to the subject (usually a rodent). Later, they measure the amount of the substance and its effect on the targeted organs. In other words, DMSO is good at delivering substances to the endocrine system and major organs, meaning that DMSO is able to get to those areas.

So, to the extent that the oxygenating effects on the cells in the adrenals are helped by DMSO, I would say that DMSO could be helpful in conjunction with other measures.

I see DMSO more as a support, not a cure all for conditions. In other words, as I have modified our diet and lifestyle, these things have helped my little guy with DS improve. DMSO just enhances and helps support our efforts.

HTH
: mykidsmom December 27, 2006, 09:27:07 AM
Hi SC,

So if I'm reading this correctly, DMSO would probably help the cortisol I'm getting from Isocort to be more effectively "used" in my body?  Since the supplements I'm taking are mostly oral would the topical use of the DMSO provide the same effects, I wonder????  I think I'm going to try this just to see.  Now - where exactly do I put this stuff to hit my adrenal glands?  Lower right and left flank of my back???  Also, I'm thinking applying it to my bladder might help heal the lining of my bladder?  If extra oxygen is that good, it has got to be good for the bladder lining too.  Hmmmm.  Lots to think about.

Thanks for your research efforts.  I'll get a bottle and let you know if it helps with the adrenals and bladder.   :)

patti
: SC December 27, 2006, 10:00:49 AM
I found this quote on the following site:

Bladder Instillation

During a bladder instillation, also called a bladder wash or bath, the bladder is filled with a solution that is held for varying periods of time, averaging 10 to 15 minutes, before being emptied.

The only drug approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for bladder instillation is dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO, RIMSO-50). DMSO treatment involves guiding a narrow tube called a catheter up the urethra into the bladder. A measured amount of DMSO is passed through the catheter into the bladder, where it is retained for about 15 minutes before being expelled. Treatments are given every week or two for 6 to 8 weeks and repeated as needed. Most people who respond to DMSO notice improvement 3 or 4 weeks after the first 6- to 8-week cycle of treatments. Highly motivated patients who are willing to catheterize themselves may, after consultation with their doctor, be able to have DMSO treatments at home. Self-administration is less expensive and more convenient than going to the doctor's office.

Doctors think DMSO works in several ways. Because it passes into the bladder wall, it may reach tissue more effectively to reduce inflammation and block pain. It may also prevent muscle contractions that cause pain, frequency, and urgency.

A bothersome but relatively insignificant side effect of DMSO treatments is a garlic-like taste and odor on the breath and skin that may last up to 72 hours after treatment. Long-term treatment has caused cataracts in animal studies, but this side effect has not appeared in humans. Blood tests, including a complete blood count and kidney and liver function tests, should be done about every 6 months.

The way I use it is directly over an area that is posing some difficulty. If it is for a more general use (such as to support brain function and/or immune function, etc.) Then, you could apply it wherever is most convenient.

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.
: mykidsmom December 27, 2006, 08:17:20 PM
SC,

This is so interesting.  This treatment is one of the most "approved" of treatments for interstitial cytitis that there is.  But it doesn't work!  Actually, it makes things worse.  I know several people who've had this done and ended up in worse pain in the long run.  I think that this treatment would work for folks who don't have IC.   Here's why - I have found in all of my reading and via personal experience - things that most people would recommend for fixing the bladder actually make IC much worse.  For example - I can't touch B vitamins, cranberry, caprilyc (sp?) acid, vitamin C, etc.  If I even drink orange juice the vit. C in it sends me into total pain when it hits my bladder.  But that's because of the damaged bladder lining.  So I have to do things in round about ways.  I get my B's in my supermom and it doesn't seem to be as bothersome, I get my C in foods only and even then not "acidy" type foods, I stay away from cranberries!, etc.  So they way around the "wash" is I think I"ll just put it on my skin over my bladder.  I know it's weird but IC is weird.  When I went searching for natural treatments I was only able to find one book written by a lady who healed hers naturally.  My sister has the same thing (it's an auto-immune issue) and she's done ALL of the treatments they recommend and she's a mess.  She now is having seizures because of the meds she's taking for the pain.  She also said the DMSO didn't work for her.

Okay - that was way more info then you wanted to know but I thought I'd share the wash info with you.   :)

I'm hoping to order my bottle tonight.   :)  I'm going to try it over my adrenals and bladder and see what happens.  I'll keep you posted.

Patti
: SC December 28, 2006, 04:03:43 AM
You know, Patti, when I see applications for DMSO where it is used by injection, it makes me wonder why. DMSO does penetrate the skin. I suspect that this is just a holdover from before they knew all of the properties of DMSO.

Also, I don't see DMSO as a 'soloist' in healing, but one very powerful tool to be used with other measures. So, before DMSO is used, I emphasize the necessity to examine other factors like diet, environment, ect. Given a chance, I believe DMSO can be of great benefit. However, I also realize that there will be people who will continue to abuse their bodies and wonder why DMSO didn't help. :-\
: LoveSunflowers January 11, 2007, 12:21:43 PM
SC, it is wonderful to hear about the improvements made by your son! I shared your story with my family and they were moved. I am going to purchase DMSO for my hubby and FIL to try out. My FIL has arthritis in his legs. My husband has had some difficulty with his joints and back. He is always in some kind of pain. I'm hoping it works for them.
My question is, I read that it is good for scarring and I was thinking about applying it to my C-section scar, more for the internal healing. But, I read a warning that pregnant and nursing moms shouldn't use it. I see this warning on a lot of things and I always make an educated choice. However, I don't know enough. Any thoughts? My son is nursing exclusively, he is 4 mos. Thanks!
Jessica
: SC January 11, 2007, 12:54:19 PM
Regarding usage by pregnant and/or nursing moms. My personal rule of thumb is that there are more things I would try in the latter stages of pregnancy and nursing than in the early stages. In other words, I would be less concerned the older the child/pregnancy. However, regarding DMSO,  ??? I just don't know. The approach I would take would be based on the seriousness of the condition. In other words, if I thought it would help stabilize a condition that was threatening a pregnancy, of course I would try it on myself. BUT if it is something cosmetic that can wait, I would just wait. HTH

I have an additional update on DMSO. Our little guy has stopped with the foot slapping wide footed ship deck type gait. His gait is normal. He can step over objects without assistance, and he has started to take running steps. The physical therapist even tells me specific muscle groups to apply it to before their sessions, because she has noticed a difference. His speech continues to improve.

Two other applications that have been encouraging: Our toddler is now greatly entertained by opening and closing EVERYTHING. Yesterday, he had gone into our room, shut the door behind him and proceeded to empty our drawers. I heard a crash and found him on the floor crying with a pile of clothes around him and a framed picture next to him. I couldn't tell if/where he had been hit. When I gave him a bath, I noticed a large purple mark forming across the bridge of his nose and forehead. I applied DMSO and within an hour the area was just a faint pink patch. Within two hours, it was gone.

The second instance was when my back erupted into muscle spasms. This happens when I am overtired and doing heavy work. The normal result -- even with chiropractic care, massage therapist, medication, herbal rubs, etc. -- is that it must run its course for about a day with the following day for my own recovery. That's if I begin treatment with the first twinge -- then I only lose TWO days.

At the onset of pain, I grabbed the DMSO and gave it a try. At best, I was hoping for it to stop the spasms so that I could get a little rest. However, DMSO surprised me yet again. I rolled generously over the problem areas (I was really in pain). Every spot that the DMSO hit, stopped hurting right away! I had to reapply in about 15 minutes and then another application about an hour later, but that was it. I warmed my flax seed pad and laid it over the area while I slept. I had a night free of pain and the next day did not suffer from the residual soreness and the tiredness which are the normal course.

I've lived with this condition off and on for nearly 25 years. Nothing else has been as effective.
: mykidsmom January 11, 2007, 01:38:33 PM

SC,

AI's are weird.  I don't know why it is that something like cranberry that someone would normally use for the bladder would be so detrimental for IC.  It makes sense what you said about the DMSO internal washes being a hold over.  Apparently the AMA still hasn't figured this out because they used this method on my sister not long ago.   :-\

I absolutely agree with the "soloist" healing.  It has been a combination of total diet changes (nothing white), lots of herbal mucilage teas, liver cleanses, etc. that has healed my bladder to the point it's at today.  I think internal healing is so multi-faceted.  Rarely is it just one thing, I think, that heals anything major.

What great news on the DMSO with your son and your back!  I still have not had time to get it.  I keep telling myself I'm going to order it every night and time keeps getting away from me.   :(  I want to try it so bad.  I'm so close to being totally off of any pain relievers.  Just a small hump to get over.

patti
: healthyinOhio January 25, 2007, 03:07:52 PM
Anyone else had trouble getting this at your local HFS?  I asked about it and the owner said that nobody will sell it to him; too controversial.  So, looks like I have to go through a website for purchasing it.  :-\
: his.silly.wife January 25, 2007, 05:08:44 PM
Anyone else had trouble getting this at your local HFS?

I was at TSC, picking up leg wraps for my horse, and it was there with veterinarian type products.  I paid $5.03 for 4oz.  It clearly states that is not for use on humans. I wasn't looking for it, just happened to see it.

Hope that helps.
: mamaoffour January 25, 2007, 06:58:30 PM
I want to try the DMSO on my son.  I can buy DMSO for really cheap off another website(I forget the name).  I will probably buy the liquid.  How much do I put on my son's foot?  Does it just take a couple of drops?  I will probably not buy the roll on since the whole family will be using it.  Just don't want to use too much on my son.  Oh, buy the way, I'm using to help reverse damage done by vaccines.  Thanks in advance.

Misty
: tropix January 30, 2007, 04:52:47 PM

Thanks!
-Heather

I have a son with mild autism PDD. I am very interested in this. Exactly how do you give it if it is for the brain? Rub it on his head?  ;D It seems the main article on DMSO was talking about putting it topically where needed. Can it be taken internally? Is this something you can only get on line or can you get it at health food stores? Are there any side effects for long term use? Thanks for any info!
: LoveSunflowers March 10, 2007, 06:24:30 PM
My FIL has horrible circulation in his legs. I convinced him to try DMSO. He has been applying for three days now and we can see major improvement! Spots that were just black and brown, now look alive with a pink color. His varicose veins have shrunk down to at least half the size they were. He said he thinks the pain in his knees and legs is decreasing. We are excited with the results.
My MIL just found out she has breast cancer and we are hoping that daily applications will help reduce the size of her tumor, since she is taking the natural route. Thank you for posting all your testimonies about DMSO.
I do have a question. My FIL applied it with his hands, did some things after it had dried, washed them and moved on. He was washing the dishes and when he took his hand out of the water, it looked like he had been in the bathtub for a few hours! He said it was hard, not soft and sore. Do you think it was the dish detergent getting into his system? I'm really at a lose as to what it is...any thoughts?
Thanks!
Jessica
: healthybratt March 11, 2007, 05:38:31 AM
Thanks!
Jessica
DMSO has the unique ability to carry things into the body with it when it is applied to the skin, including toxins like those in dish soap (SLS, fragrance, color, etc.).  If he had some kind of reaction that does not normally occur, this would be my guess.
: SC March 11, 2007, 07:46:15 AM
Thanks!
Jessica

If the DMSO had dried and then he had washed his hands before moving on, I wouldn't think it is a reaction caused by the DMSO. My understanding is that the liquid has already passed the skin barrier after drying and no longer a factor on the skin's surface.

Regarding the cancer, DMSO may serve as a support, but it is not considered a stand alone treatment. I'd like to hear how your MIL comes along with her treatments. If she is looking for additional treatment, you could check the thread on iodine deficiency (http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1488.0.html). Iodine supplementation has been used successfully to help the cells normalize their growth and help dissolve breast tumors.
: LoveSunflowers March 11, 2007, 08:16:54 AM
Thanks for the information, all of that makes sense. As for my MIL, she is doing other treatments and I will defiantly look at the iodine thread. I'll post more on another thread because I don't want to get too off topic! ;)
Jessica
: gusoceros March 16, 2007, 04:11:13 PM
Hey there SC- just thought I would mention that I ordered in 8fl oz of 99.7% Pure DMSO from www.msm-msm.com for $10.  I ordered in some for myself, and have been using it on some of my martial arts injuries and sore spots- it seems to be working pretty well.  I had a really sore wrist I could hardly move- and it took the edge off of it in about 45 seconds.  I diluted it about 50% in aloe juice for application.  Do you have a recommendation about what concentration to use to apply??  The bottle said not to apply full strength.

G
: faith March 24, 2007, 05:59:11 AM
SC,
I was wondering if you got the book on DSMO you were waiting for?
You wanted to research more on dmso. I was hoping you would post more on what you found on dmso.
I have two friends who have children, one with autism and the other with Down Syndrome and autism. They are both using mannatec product called ambertose. My friend is seeing a change in her son with the down syndrome. But I haven't heard from my friend with her son and the autism. I sent her the ambertose in January. Now I want to give them the dmso.
But I didn't know what to tell them to do with it. I bought the dsmo already from the internet and I got both the roll on and the liquid. The strongest and the one lesser strength. Or, If the book is good, i can send them the books also. They are always researching.
Thank you for any information you can give.
Faith
: SC March 24, 2007, 02:11:40 PM

G
I use the 99.9% strength without the aloe. I prefer the roll on for ease of application. Because I use this strength, I take the following precautions: I treat pain and injuries EARLY with a light application. If relief isn't felt within 15 minutes, I re-apply (this is RARE).

As a therapy aid, I use it daily (in light application to trouble areas -- for strength, muscle toning and to help developing nerve endings), but I take a break from it about every third month or so for 3 or 4 weeks. I would not take such a long break if I thought we were losing ground.

A characteristic of DMSO that I have found is that with the daily application, less frequency and smaller doses are required for the same effect.

I will also say that in one instance of severe back spasms, I overdid the application a little (my 'patient' was in lots of pain). He got relief, but I noticed that the skin became red, but not inflamed. At first, I thought I may have caused a type of burn, but it was gone the next day without ill effect. My conclusion is that the blood was drawn to the area, resulting in the temporary redness.

SC,
I was wondering if you got the book on DSMO you were waiting for?

The book I purchased was DMSO, Nature's Healer by Dr. Morton Walker. I found the book mostly anecdotal and out of date (1993). He does detail the studies done on children with DS, but I found the study to be grossly flawed (he covers some of this). Also, the application was intravenous in combination with dietary supplementation. They were actually using it as a carrier for the vitamins. So, the study attributed the positive findings to the vitamin supplementation rather than the therapeutic effects of the DMSO. I found the methodology and the conclusions to be very flawed.

However, he discusses the use of DMSO for sports injuries, arthritis therapy, foot and leg problems, spinal cord injuries, and other applications. Again, this is mostly a compilation of others' findings, but it is good information. I found it interesting that while DMSO is known to penetrate the skin and get into the cells with a topical application, more than one study used injections and/or oral doses (I couldn't see the logic in that).

I found the book useful from the standpoint of understanding the history of the usage in human applications of DMSO. However, it gave me enough confidence to proceed as outlined above. I did not use it on family members until I tried it on myself for 30 days to verify its safety. I learned that repeated applications to tender skin (neck, inside of the arm, lips, etc.) will result in chapped and/or dry skin, but that is easily remedied by varying your point of application. This is not an issue when used for pain relief as it is usually a one time point of pain application. My only counter indication was when I decided to see what would happen when I applied it directly over my thyroid. After about 2 or 3 days, the area became tender. I immediately discontinued that application.

As your friend with special needs children already knows, the most promising and cutting edge helps are often found and used by parents before the medical community determines it is an accepted practice. I would proceed with caution watching the child for improvement and/or counter indications and respond accordingly.

So, right now, my 'study' of DMSO is just in my own applications here around the home. I don't hesitate to use it when a young one gets a bump that could become a bruise and for burns. It is very effective in these types of first aid applications (again, these are light 'painting' type of applications).

If anyone else sees published results of more recent studies, I'd be interested in seeing what they found.
: skinnyankles March 26, 2007, 05:12:36 PM

My dog has benefited with DMSO. she had an infection in the flap of her ear as a result of surgery for a hematoma in the ear flap.  Due to the infection we were highly encouraged to have the flap removed.  But greatfully the referal doctor couldn't see us for 4 days. By then the other dr in our vet clinic had returned and gave our dog's wound a cleaning and again suggested surgery but was supportive of our request to continue to cleanse it with H2O2 and home made Real Salt normal saline.  Fortunitatly after that every visit the ear imporved slightly.

We were sure it was our "good" Normal Saline, the H2O2  and our good nursing care and still think that had a big part. 3 weeks later when our dog was healed  we were all happy at the transformation from a bad infection from a surgical wound to complete healing.  My husband bragged about the H2O2 and NS tx.  Then the Vet. said, "Oh, I think it was the DMSO that I put on her ear when I cleaned it for you. She continued telling us that when she was a young vet and took a weekend off, the old horse doctor vets that would cover for her always used DMSO with such good results that she began copying their practice.
: skinnyankles March 26, 2007, 05:27:37 PM
Here is the dog story from my post under Trigger Finger.

My dog has benefited with DMSO. she had an infection in the flap of her ear as a result of surgery, due to the infection we were highly encouraged to have the flap removed.  But greatfully the referal doctor couldn't see us for 4 days. By then the other dr in our vet clinic had returned and gave our dog's ear a cleaning and again suggested surgery but was supportive of our request to continue to cleanse it with H2O2 and home made Real Salt normal saline.  Fortunitatly after that every visit the ear imporved slightly.

We were sure it was our "good" Normal Saline and the H2O2 and still think that had a big part. 3 weeks later when our dog was healed  we were all happy at the transformation from a bad infection from a surgical wound to complete healing.  My husband bragged about the H2O2 and NS tx.  Then the Vet. said, Oh ,I think it was the DMSO that I put on her ear when I cleaned it for you. She continued telling us that when she was a young vet and took a weekend off, the old horse doctor vets that would cover for her always used DMSO with such good results that she began copying their practice.
: DebAnn April 05, 2007, 02:57:38 PM
I stumbled on this thread by accident while looking for something else.  I showed it to my dh who has been using DMSO on horses for years.  It is a standard in the horse barn to take the soreness out of joints and muscles, they use it to drive in other linamints. He buys it at www.bigdweb.com Their description reads:

INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON
Top > Feed Supplements/Liniments/Hoof Care > Liniments, Leg Paints and Blisters > Miscellaneous > INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON
 INDUSTRIAL SOLVENT DMSO-GALLON
DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide (CH3) SO Purity 99% For use as a solvent only. Not for drug use.
SKU: 1150
FOB Weight 10 Lbs.
Pricing
QTY PRICE
1 -  3 18.00
4+ 21.00  (I don't know why the price increases the more you buy--it should be the opposite) ???
I didn't know until reading (actually scanning) this thread that people used it for themselves and I'm not sure if "industrial strength" would need diluted with distilled water or aloe but even so this seems to be a much better price so I thought I would share it :)

: ruhamah May 29, 2007, 05:35:03 AM
My dad is going in for surgery to repair a tendon in his arm that ripped completely. I know this is going to cause him pain after the surgery and I have read a little about DMSO reducing pain and swelling. Has anyone ever tried DMSO and had it work?

Note this type of DMSO is not the kind found in hardware stores it the food grade type I am looking into.

I would like to learn more about it and hear if anyone has had success with it before I buy it and ship it to my dad.

Thanks,
Ruhamah

PS ruhamah means my beloved! (I love this nick name my hd has given me!)
: Texas Girl. May 29, 2007, 05:43:36 AM
There is a lot of info here about DMSO but I don't know how to post a link. :)  I'm sure somebody more computer-literate will do it, but meanwhile you might just do a search for DMSO!
: snickerdoodle May 30, 2007, 01:59:54 PM
As a kid my Dad used DMSO to treat our horses.  Do the human grade products leave a strong odd taste in your mouth after getting it on your skin?

Dad noticed a great improvement in his arthritic hands when he used it back then, and if I remember right he used it on his knees after having knee replacement surgery.

He won't use it anymore because he is on so many medications for his heart (triple bi-pass surgery 13 years ago), glaucoma, high blood pressure, diabeties...  and pain meds for a back injury he got in Korea.

He won't use much of anything natural because the docs have convinced him that they will interfere with his meds...  I was just thinking he might be willing to try a 'human grade' product.
: skelliott2 July 20, 2007, 08:43:18 AM
Ok, I bought some DMSO along with a book about it for my spider veins on my leg.  Here's the question:  The book says that when you use DMSO, you'll smell like oysters or seaweed! :o :o :o   Did anyone have that problem?  I'm a little nervous about that...
: mykidsmom July 31, 2007, 06:46:29 PM
SC, I'm not sure if I want to kiss you or send you flowers.  :-* ;D  I waited forever to order the DMSO.  I finally ordered it and messed up and got the non-roll on type but oh well.  I figured I'd just work with what I have.  I have been putting just a small amount on my skin over my bladder for several days now.  It feels warm for a few minutes right afterwards but get this!  IT TAKES AWAY MY BLADDER PAIN!!!   :-* :-* :-*  I have been on pain pills for over two years and trying to heal my bladder naturally.  This past month I've been on 2-3 pain pills a day because we're really working on detoxing and that causes more pain.  Today I took one but was still hurting and decided to try the DMSO even though it was late afternoon.  I had been putting it on in the AM and PM.  It worked almost instantly and I've managed to avoid another pain pill tonight!  I'm going to do a little more before bed because nighttime when I lay day is th worst and I'll see how it works.  But I just wanted to say thank you a hundred times over for starting this thread.  I'm almost crying because you have no idea how badly I've worked to get off these pain pills.  I'm praying that in short order I can stop them altogether.  I'm going to just start using the DMSO when I'm having pain and see if it works and keeps the pain away.  If it doesn't, then I'll take a pain pill.  But for now, it helped me today!!  Can you tell how excited I am.   ;D

Have a good day!

patti
: SC August 01, 2007, 02:08:45 AM
Patty, I am THRILLED with your news. You made my day! :) ;D

The book says that when you use DMSO, you'll smell like oysters or seaweed! Shocked Shocked Shocked   Did anyone have that problem?  I'm a little nervous about that...
As to smelling like garlic, oysters, etc. I've read those same things, but never experienced it personally. I don't think this is always the case.

Oh, I wouldn't go around telling a lot of people on here that you're scared of smelling like garlic. I think HB might put you on probation. ::) :D ;)
: YoopreMama August 01, 2007, 02:20:11 AM
SC, I'm not sure if I want to kiss you or send you flowers.  :-* ;D  I waited forever to order the DMSO.  I finally ordered it and messed up and got the non-roll on type but oh well.  I figured I'd just work with what I have.  I have been putting just a small amount on my skin over my bladder for several days now.  It feels warm for a few minutes right afterwards but get this!  IT TAKES AWAY MY BLADDER PAIN!!!   :-* :-* :-*  I have been on pain pills for over two years and trying to heal my bladder naturally.  This past month I've been on 2-3 pain pills a day because we're really working on detoxing and that causes more pain.  Today I took one but was still hurting and decided to try the DMSO even though it was late afternoon.  I had been putting it on in the AM and PM.  It worked almost instantly and I've managed to avoid another pain pill tonight!  I'm going to do a little more before bed because nighttime when I lay day is th worst and I'll see how it works.  But I just wanted to say thank you a hundred times over for starting this thread.  I'm almost crying because you have no idea how badly I've worked to get off these pain pills.  I'm praying that in short order I can stop them altogether.  I'm going to just start using the DMSO when I'm having pain and see if it works and keeps the pain away.  If it doesn't, then I'll take a pain pill.  But for now, it helped me today!!  Can you tell how excited I am.   ;D  Have a good day!   patti
I'm so very happy for you, too, Patti!
: SC August 01, 2007, 02:40:47 AM
I know I've mentioned it elsewhere on this thread, but I wanted to repeat that DMSO has healing and restorative properties. Often, over time a reduced dosage is needed to get the same effect, eventually leaving the person without a need for any DMSO.

Although we are using it for a lifelong condition, I've found that (for our application) we can take several months away from DMSO and return to it on an as needed basis. When we began, it was a daily application.
: crystaldew August 01, 2007, 04:53:55 AM
our health food store only has the roll on kind and i am interested in diluting it. i was all for trying this on my husband (unsuccessful shoulder surgery and chronic back/neck pain) but we read an article about the "dangers" and he got spooked. i guess we are worried about the ability to transfer anything into the body. does anyone know for sure on this? is that only before it dries, or after a certain time period or what? i just don't think he will try it unless we have some more info than what i have found already (mostly negative.) do you cover the place with organic cloth or what? thanks everyone!
: SC August 01, 2007, 06:47:11 AM
See if reply #18 on this thread doesn't help answer some of your questions. I think there are other replies within this thread that address this as well.
: westernmama August 01, 2007, 01:08:43 PM

Ummm, 'tis true.  :P :P  At least in my experience.  My dh uses it for sore back, arms, and legs from heavy construction - especially days when he's been framing all day.  He also uses it for his sore right arm that he overuses during softball season.  And he smells!  :o :o  Maybe it doesn't happen to everybody, though.  But within a few minutes he can smell like garlic, seaweed, whatever.  It's usually his breath that smells, so I just hand him a piece of gum.  And it is in direct relation to how much he puts on.  If he puts it on light, he doesn't smell as bad.  But when he smears it on an inch thick, I have to go somewhere else to breathe.  But he loves how the stuff really takes the pain away and heals his aches quickly.
: beckyoto September 05, 2007, 06:08:44 PM
Hi there,

I have a question for those of you with experience using DMSO to help with muscle pain. My DH's best friend has wrenched his back badly (dunno if anything is slipped or torn) and is in a lot of pain

I would like to recommend DMSO and Muscle Soother Cream (see Bulk Herb Store).  Any thoughts about using both treatments together?  Should he try DMSO first and wait a couple hours before using the muscle rub (if it still hurts)?  My concern is the DMSO 'interacting' with any of the ingredients in the muscle rub.

Thanks in advance for your advice!  :)

BeckyOto

: beesbabe September 05, 2007, 06:31:44 PM
I'm not really answering your question, but take a look at MSM at drrons.com (http://drrons.com).  It's an oral form of sulfur that can be used for pain.  Dr.Ron's supplements have no bad additives.  He also sells chondroitin and glucosamine.
: mykidsmom September 05, 2007, 06:36:25 PM
I've been needing to post here for quite some time but haven't been able to take the time to.  I guess having DMSO pop to the top of the list makes it time.   :D

In a post above I talked about using the DMSO over my bladder for IC pain.  I used it for a week with good success and then headed to my regular appt. with my naturapath.  Hmmm.  Her response?  Something short of freaking out.  So here's her contention on DMSO:  She absolutely believes it's probably working and killing the pain.  Her issue is the law of unintended consequences.  1) DMSO is a solvent.  Pharmaceutical grade DMSO is cut with distilled water to an exact ratio and her feeling was it's not likely I'm dealing with pharmaceutical grade.  AND, even then, that doesn't mean it's a "safe" solvent.  2)  Solvents are one of the three major cancer causing substances there is.  So, while I may be killing the pain, am I causing cancer to develop in the long run?  Hence, the law of unintended consequences.

So, needless to say, that freaked me out a little and I decided to use DMSO's derivative MSM (which I had been using off and on for years for joint pain).  I upped my MSM doses to 6000mg a day split in three doses.  I actually think it is helping as I am seeing some improvements in pain management.  Both with DMSO and MSM it is the sulfur that is helping so I'm looking into what kinds of whole foods would also provide sulfur.  No luck with that one so far mainly because of time constraints.

So, SC, if you have an opinion on this, I'd love to hear it.  I go back and forth.  She is an ND, not a medical doctor.  She has always been right on with me so I feel like I can trust her.  BUT, she does work in a hospital setting, sooooooooo.......  thoughts?

Patti
: SC September 06, 2007, 02:53:15 AM
My thoughts are that DMSO may possibly prove an effective treatment for some cancers since its property is to infuse cells with oxygen. Also, I have found in its use that DMSO is a healer which requires less use over time. This means that once a trouble spot has been treated with DMSO the dosage can be lessened over time for the same results. Your naturapath is correct that DMSO is a solvent. However, not all solvents are created equal -- just as all herbs, tinctures, essential oils, etc. are not equal in their properties or application. Each has to stand or fall on its merit.

Keep in mind that I have a child with fragile health and am EXTREMELY cautious in what remedies I would use on him. If I had concerns about using a remedy, I would follow the links provided on this thread and search out those questions specifically.

Another thing to consider that any practitioner recommending what items to avoid or use must use general guidelines because they are dealing with a wide cross section of individuals. While some things may be helpful in moderation, they may not recommend them because of the tendency of patients to think "more is better." I'm sure there is evidence that some solvents contribute to cancer. However, I haven't seen where DMSO is one of them.

HTH
: servantgirl September 06, 2007, 11:50:34 AM
Hi SC,
I have been doing research about DMSO and I am so excited by all the things I learn! But since you were talking about DMSO with cancer, please check out this link:  http://www.cancertutor.com/Cancer/DMSO.html
It shows how DMSO, which has an affinity for cancerous cells, takes treatment directly to them, and is very effective. Cool. 8)
Jen
: mykidsmom September 06, 2007, 05:57:12 PM

HTH

Thanks, SC.   All good info.  I'll continue to reserach this out.

patti
: cecac September 18, 2007, 05:25:24 AM
Ladies,

I'm taking MSM at 1000 mg per day.  It is not helping with chronic back pain or with my ability to exercise.  I cannot exercise (and particularly sweat) without complications.  Today, I have LBP.  I walked two days ago, and also I got off my adrenal supplement to see if I really needed it.  Guess I do ::).

Anyway, so I came over here after looking at the MSM thread.   I was trying to see if I should up my MSM.  I'd like to remove chronic back pain and be able to have a little stamina left to exercise every other day.

Should I perhaps try DMSO over my mid back for pain?  Also, could I try a once every few days application to my adrenal area to help with healing?

Should you choose MSM or DMSO, or could I use the DMSO for the back pain but keep on with MSM, perhaps in a higher dose (for stamina)?

Cara

: mykidsmom September 18, 2007, 10:47:40 AM
Ladies,

Cara

Cara,

You can do a couple of things.  You can up your MSM.  I'm taking 6000mg a day split in 3 doses.  If that doesn't work there is a new roll on MSM that has MSM and some essential oils in it.  It's called Stopain.  A friend got it for me at Walgreens.  They have a cream also but it has ingredients in it that wouldn't be good for anyone.  I've been using the roll on MSM because my husband nixed the DMSO due to the potential for it to cause cancer because of being a solvent.  HOWEVER, we are still doing our research on DMSO and I'm waiting for a book to arrive from Weston Price regarding it so that may change things.  But first you might try upping your MSM dose.

patti
: cecac September 18, 2007, 10:52:11 AM

I may try Walgreens for the roll-that might help relieve the chronic mid back pain when it hits, much like is being said about DMSO.

I think I will increase the MSM, but I guess gradually.

Blessings,
Cara
: YoopreMama October 19, 2007, 02:07:07 AM
DMSO is one treatment recommended for Dupuytren's Contracture (disease of the fingers)...we may try it.  Thanks for all the research!
: wlwest October 29, 2007, 04:53:47 PM
Hi there.  I ordered the roll on type for my dh back.  His back is better now, so we haven't used it yet, but was wondering if it would work for the terrible aches I have in my lower back and legs?  I don't know if it's arthrisits or what, have had this problem since I was a little girl.

Do you just rub it on?  And then just let it dry?

: mykidsmom October 29, 2007, 05:25:47 PM
While I have only been using the MSM roll on since my last post I have continued to research DMSO.  I bought a book from WP foundation titled DMSO.  It is FULL of clinical research.  Most of the studies cited are from the 1960's and 1970's.  As I read it I find myself being less concerned with "unintended consequences."  However, after I finish the book I will be looking for newer studies that do any follow-up on the old ones to see if there were any long term affects of DMSO treatment noted.  Particularly cancer.  It's been an interesting search thus far.  I'll post the old/new study comparisons as soon as I get through it all.

Wlwest, you would just have to try on your legs and back to see.  I think the important thing that SC noted is that she doesn't use it continually  but at noted times when it seems appropriate.  So you will have to determine what that is for you.  Yep, you just roll it on and let it dry.

As a side note, I have been using the MSM roll on instead of the DMSO until I do further research and I have found it very effective.  If you need something all the time you might try the Stopain that I noted above.  It has been great for me and there is no limit to how often I can use it.  Also, try taking MSM in pill form in high doses for your legs/back.  I get tremendous relief from it when my hands are hurting.

hth

patti
: DarlingSweetHeart January 05, 2008, 07:23:36 AM
We tried DMSO.  Use with caution.

My DH has shoulder pain and then gives him a terrible headache that only aspirin takes away....for years he has been taking aspirin to give him relief, but as you may have guessed, it also thins his blood and he gets nosebleeds easily when he takes them.
In hopes of finding something to work for him, I ran across the info on DMSO and read up on it...he was willing to try it and used it 2xs and then he said he didn't want to use it again.
He said it burned like a bad sunburn...he also compared it to a chemical burn (like lacquer thinner--sp?).  His skin look welted and reddish with raw flesh appearance.  I had applied it to his low back and previously to his neck and shoulder blade area.  I did not apply a lot, just enough to wet the spot that ached.  I used Nature's Gift Roll On 90%DMSO 10% distilled.
My DH wanted me to at least tell others about his experience.
Anyhow, there it is.
: skelliott2 January 05, 2008, 08:09:30 PM
I agree that it burns like a chemical burn.  To be fair, the book about DMSO does say to dilute it, because 90% is very strong, and can irritate the skin.  Besides the fact that it hurts to put it on straight, it also lightly pigmented my skin.  Maybe it makes it more sun sensitive, because I have a light brown spot where I applied it.

It also did not make my spider veins dissappear, but I only used it a few times, because it hurt and turned my skin brown.  Maybe if I applied it more consistently, and diluted it, it would have worked better.
: Texas Girl. January 05, 2008, 09:10:24 PM
My hubby had encephalitis a year ago, and after reading about DMSO on this website I made him let me rub it on his neck, where I knew the swelling in his brain to be from his MRI pictures.  He's now, a year later, almost back to normal.  I have no idea what role the DMSO played in his recovery, but when you consider the odds of recovering from encephalitis, I have to strongly consider that using DMSO might have helped???  (1/2 die from it, of the ones that live, 1/2 have varying degrees of brain damage)

Before I rubbed it on my sick hubby, I asked my dad, an extremely knowledgeable & intelligent forensics chemist, about it, and HE said that DMSO was commonly used by illegal drug users to carry the drugs into their system quickly.  I would guess that this is why its become so difficult to find?

: Mama Sita January 06, 2008, 05:39:58 AM

Texas Girl,
I am so glad to hear your hubby is doing much better. I remember when you first posted about his illness, and we were all very concerned. Thanks for the info on the DMSO. I think that is a very good way to use it. I gotta lock that in my peabrain somewhere.... :D
: Texas Girl. January 06, 2008, 07:37:58 PM
Thank you Mama Sita!  I have no idea how we would have survived that ordeal without WTM.  For SO many reasons! Of course its still an ordeal, and we're still surviving the aftermath...
: Texas Girl. June 20, 2008, 02:24:07 PM
I had to report my latest DMSO experience.  In a very dumb (blonde?) moment, I didn't think my iron was on and grabbed it with both hands.  Well, it WAS on and burned one hand very badly, probably the worst burn I've ever had.  I kept ice on it for hours and it was starting to blister up, all across the entire palm side of my hand.  The only 'remedy' I had available that my Nutritional Healing book recommended was DMSO, so I rubbed that all over my hand and palm.  The burning sensation stopped almost immediately, and the next morning, my hand was totally back to normal.  My hand SHOULD have been covered in blisters, and there were none, and not even any redness.  It was almost miraculous.
: skelliott2 June 20, 2008, 05:16:03 PM
Wow!  did you put it on full strength??  Was it the liquid or the gel?  What strength was it??  In my book 'Comfort for the Burned and Wounded', the amish writer recommended DMSO for taking away the pain of burns!!  I just read that yesterday, and wondered how he used it!

So glad it helped you feel so much better.  How great to find such a good burn remedy!
: Texas Girl. June 20, 2008, 06:41:02 PM
I use a 90% liquid solution in a roll-on bottle.  I was a little scared to put it on my burn at first, because it DOES burn your skin at times, but I figured it couldn't hurt worse than it was already hurting.  It took the burning, throbbing sensation away almost instantly.

: DHW June 21, 2008, 06:26:42 AM
It also comes in a spray bottle for a no-touch application.
: Melie June 23, 2008, 08:59:32 AM
This might be a dumb question but can someone describe to me what this stuff actually is?  Is it 'natural'?  What is it derived from?  What does the term 'solvent' mean?
: Melie June 23, 2008, 05:24:56 PM

bump
: mykidsmom June 23, 2008, 06:42:03 PM

bump

M,

Okay, I can't give you the technical name to this stuff.  I know it oxygenates the skin/organs, whatever you put it on, which in turn helps healing.  The solvent issue is the one thing that has kept me from using it reguarly to treat my IC.  Think of solvents like turpentine.  You use it to clean your paintbrushes, etc.  Solvents are known to cause cancer.  So, that is the struggle most people have when it comes to if/when they should use DMSO.  Not sure if that helped much.  I'm still on the fence and going to talk to my new ND about it.  My old ND was totally opposed to it but she leaned more medical so........

patti
: Texas Girl. June 23, 2008, 10:28:09 PM
DMSO stands for dimethyl sulfoxide.  Before I used it on our family, I had a long talk with a forensics chemist who has years and years of extensive knowledge of chemicals.  He basically said that DMSO was pretty much neutral, but is used to carry other substances into the body.  It in itself doesn't have any effect.  (From my limited understanding of what he said...this is what I gathered).  The reason it is outlawed some places and so difficult to find in others is that drug users use it to carry illegal drugs into their system through their skin.  It isn't the DMSO thats the problem, per se, its what its used for.  I think the reason it is healing is because of the oxygen it carries into your system.

The 'solvent' issue doesn't scare me too much, because not all solvents are created equal.  If you think about it WATER is a solvent, the 'universal solvent' in fact because over enough time it will dissolve anything.  It was water that dissolved that huge canyon into Arizona.  So just because DMSO is called a solvent.....what does that really mean?  On the scale of solvents between water and battery acid, where does DMSO fall....I have no idea.

Feel free to correct me if I've said anything wrong....this is all just my opinion. :)
: Melie July 11, 2008, 04:02:38 AM
I have a testimony about DMSO.  For a couple of months my husband had been developing a weird rash.  It started on his chest and spread all over his torso to his back and under his arms.  I don't know what it was.  Red itchy patches.  We tried coconut oil on them and some other things and it was not improving.  We tried DMSO for 5 day.  It was starting to improve and my husband stopped using it.  A couple days later the rash was completely gone.
: Texas Girl. August 09, 2008, 04:52:28 PM
I thought I remembered reading on here about someone using DMSO on a sunburn.  Now I can't find it.  Was it my imagination??  Anybody have any input....can/should you use it on a sunburn?  I know I've tried it on a burn with success....just wondering, as I sit here aching with my scorched burgundy skin..... :-[
: DHW August 09, 2008, 06:16:22 PM
There was a previous post that warned of a sunburn-like reaction to 90% DMSO applied to her dh's lower back.  It was probably a bit too strong, or the pores of his skin were open (from heat, sweating or a warm shower).

I have googled it, and there are references to DMSO as a remedy for burns and sunburns.  Proceed with caution.  You might have better luck with fresh aloe, lavendar, St. John's Wort, tea tree oil, chamomile, green/white/black tea, acv, coconut oil, cool baths...

Remember, it is important to soothe the burn, relieve the heat, and reduce the inflammation.  So, hydrate, use a topical, and take something anti-inflammatory by mouth.

I am sorry for your "owie".
: Texas Girl. August 10, 2008, 12:12:23 AM
Actually, I tried the DMSO last night, and felt almost instant relief.  This morning, its still very tender but much less red.  I know this isn't a CO thread but on one shoulder I had hubby rub some coconut oil, and it was HORRIBLE...it seemed to trap the heat in and instantly felt many degrees hotter.  It was late last night when I got home from the lake and didn't have any aloe or anything else you listed.  The DMSO seemed to do in a pinch!  I do have some ACV so I'll try some of that this morning.  Thanks for the input!
: jessica September 01, 2008, 05:00:18 PM
a month ago i got attacked by a dog.  the tip of my finger was bit off and several other places on my hands were bitten as well.  i am having problems with wrist feeling sprained, my knuckles do not bend properly and scar tissue developing.  does anyone have any idea as to whether DMSO applied to my hands might help?  i am nursing a 3 month old would that mean i should not try it?  also would DMSO help a child who has trouble concentrating/staying on task?
: DHW September 01, 2008, 05:45:26 PM

Reply #1 from ForeverGirl about healing a knuckle joint.
: crystal September 02, 2008, 07:10:24 PM
Any more reports on how the spider veins are doing with DMSO application?  My legs are covered with them and I would like to know if it really does work before I use the DMSO and have to put up with that yucky taste and smell.  :P  :P( I am one of those who is REALLY affected by the stuff.)
: Pennie September 22, 2008, 04:40:39 AM
I have seen this thread off and on but never really read it as I didn't think I had any "need" for it.  Now I am wondering and wishing I had read it b/f.  I got a Newsmax email talking about The hushedup truth about DMSO.  It was talking about pain relief.  My did(missionary)is fixing to come to the states for an MRI for his back b/c he is in constant pain so I thought hey I will read on WTM b/c I know it isn't "hushed up"  ;D over there.  Well, as I was reading about all the uses I started thinking about my 7 yr old daughter who fell off a play fort when she was 2 or 3.  I think 3.  She fell on her face I knew nothing at that time.  I have since taken her to the chiro but only starting at the age of 5 and we were never able to go often.  I know she still needs adjusting BUT she still "shakes" and has a very unsteady hand when trying to do things like flip pancakes etc.  Now I am wondering if this would help heal her.  The chiro has helped but never totally.  Would this acutally heal her whatever was damaged? and would it just be needed for a time or forever youthink? And where would I put it?  would the cheek she fell on be the place or her back or her neck?  She still falls often which really concerns me.  Just wondered what opinions would be on it.  I am going to tell my husband and maybe try this if you ladies think that would be a good idea and it sounds like something the DMSO would be good for.  TIA
: Diana September 24, 2008, 11:42:21 AM
DMSO has been a household product of ours for a couple years now. We use it for pretty much anything. My boyfriend uses it regularily on his lower back for muscle spasms and on his hand for 'trigger finger' pain (which is now gone). We have used it on brusises, minor wounds, burns, tendonitis in my knees, acne, and keloided scars. It does have a burning/stinging sensation when first applied, but fades within approx 20-30 minutes. I would recommend starting with the 70/30 strength to see how yours skin reacts to it. It amazes me how it is able to speed the healing process.
: ~CKMom~ September 24, 2008, 04:26:42 PM
Does anyone have any definitive information about using DMSO with cats?  After reading about Beka's knuckle joint, I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to use it on the cat.  (Was hit by a car, has a broken pelvis and blown out knee ligaments.  Have been told the pelvis will heal, but the knee is shot and the leg will be useless).

On the other hand, I know that cats are sensitive to things even more so than dogs.  Don't want to make him worse off than he is!
: Pennie October 04, 2008, 08:34:50 AM
Has anyone experienced getting hives from using DMSO? My dad bought some in a pharmacy in Brazil and it is 50%D and 50% my just says gel, I don't know what kind.  It feels like aloe vera but I don't know if that is what it is but my dad was unable to use it after about a week b/c it made him itch SO BAD.  Does that mean they were maybe using to much at a time?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
: morningglory October 04, 2008, 09:50:14 AM
Mine is 70% DMSO and 30% aloe, and mine makes me itch like crazy too.  It's jsut part of it.  I also get hives sometimes, but they go away quickly.  I think it may be a detox reaction.
: wlwest November 04, 2008, 09:48:05 AM
I was wondering, would DMSO help with pain for kidney cancer?  I read in the cancer step outside the box book that it's actually a cancer treatment!  I have a bottle, roll on 90% 10% diluted.  I used it the other night on my back and legs, (feet get cold and make my legs ache terrible) it worked great!!  I wish I would have tried it before.

Do you think it would help my brother who just found out he has kidney cancer?  He's in so much pain, I thought I would just tell him to rub in on maybe 2 times a day?  Or is that too much?  he could at least try it while he is waiting for surgery.

Any thoughts on this?

Wendy
: SarahK November 04, 2008, 11:47:03 AM
I was hoping to get Dad using DMSO on his tumor pain sites but he is not interested.  My research indicates that it would be helpful with at least the pain in those sites for him.

If I was under similar circumstances, I would recommend DMSO topically for the pain.

If the 90/10 is too strong (intensely itchy or irritating), you could consider applying aloe to the skin first.  I have only read of this at one or 2 sites and it was only with aloe - not with any other lotion.  The reason I can think of is that the DMSO will carry anything it can in with it beyond the skin barrier.  Aloe would be fine in there, in my opinion, since it is the thing DMSO is often diluted with anyway.  Jergen's hand lotion would not.

DMSO is not a thing to be played with.  Use caution.  If I suspected a normally healthy person would just slather it all over thinking "some is good & more is better", I would not recommend DMSO (or many other things like tinctures, etc).  In a case like my Dad, the cancer is going to kill him.  If things remain unchanged, he will die as a result of the tumors or the treatments for the tumors.  A regular dosing of DMSO would not be his greatest damaging factor in his case.

Sarah K
: ridgerunner March 17, 2010, 08:54:48 AM
I ordered some DMSO to try and heal my back.  I have chronic lower back pain that I take prescription pain pills for every day an no tests, x-rays, etc. have been able to discover what the problem is.  Its been this way every since I had a c-section with my DD.  My theory is that they messed up my epidural, but I don't have any proof for that.

Anyway, the DMSO that I ordered is Nature's Gift, 90% DMSO 10% water, but its not in a roll on bottle.  Just a regular bottle with a cap.  For those of you that have used this type, what did you use for an applicator?

Also, has anyone tried using this for acne?  I've always had trouble with my skin due to a bad diet (until recently) and am doing cleanses and detox programs, but am wondering if DMSO would help heal the old scar tissue etc. that is already there.  Anyone tried it for this?  What were your results?  How often did you apply, and what type of cleaner did you use on your face before applying?
: mykidsmom March 17, 2010, 10:13:16 AM
RR - I had this kind and just used those round cotton type pads to apply it.  Didn't seem to have any trouble.  I haven't used it on my face so can't help there.

patti