Remedies & Therapies => Symptoms & Illnesses => Colds, Flus & Viruses => : Sonja April 24, 2006, 08:25:48 PM

: Gastroenteritis: Healing for Stomach "Flu" [Virus, Food Poisoning]
: Sonja April 24, 2006, 08:25:48 PM
Help!  My daughter brought home a stomach flu bug after being away for the weekend.  What can I do to protect the rest of us (three other children) from getting it?  A friend has given me some Immune Booster tincture and I have some yogurt (Nancy's) with Acidophilus and Bifidus in it, but how much should I take?  Or is there something even better?  It seems to be a pretty short-lived bug....not even 24 hours based on the other family that my daughter got it from.  I dread these bugs.
: healthybratt April 24, 2006, 08:34:59 PM

I would recommend ginger.  It's a good immune booster and it helps naseau (just in case they get mild symptoms).  You can drink it in tea, or as another member has suggested, you can pour your strong tea infusion into a hot bath and let it absorb through the lungs and skin.  I tried this for my babies who were catching a cold.  Worked like a charm.  Check this link for details. (http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,61.msg1004.html#msg1004)
: Helen April 26, 2006, 10:33:05 AM
I just found the most amazing product, it is called morning sickness balm from www.mountainmeadowherbs.com it is great for pregnancy or anybody, i am taking it to help with feeling so nausous when i drive, it reallly helps  and would be great for building the immune system
: 4myhoonie April 26, 2006, 05:13:39 PM
i think it was Beeyoutiful who said to take extra tummy tune up to ward it off.  she just wasn't sure when they were actually over it so she could stop giving it!  i'm gonna try it the next time somebody around here starts looking green   :o
: healthybratt April 26, 2006, 06:14:31 PM
i'm gonna try it the next time somebody around here starts looking green
:-X
: oliveoil August 02, 2006, 05:02:43 PM
 I'm sure I didn't ask my question right but I couldn't think of a different way to word it. We have the stomach flu going around our house...I thought it was over and done with, but now another has come down with it. The thing is my daughter who first had it was drinking out of my water bottle the night before she got sick. That was a week and a day ago. She was over it pretty quick(in about 24hrs) but wouldn't I have come down with it too? I thought since she was sick the next day surely she was contagious the night before...I know nothing about this sort of stuff...
Can anyone 'enlighten' me here?
: 4myhoonie August 02, 2006, 05:17:18 PM
i heard that a person can be contagious (even if they have no symptoms) for up to 2 weeks after having it or being exposed.  you may have been exposed and your body is fighting it off.  last year right after christmas my whole family got it, and i was the only one who didn't.  my immune system was way up then.  there have been other times when we passed it all the way around the family and my hubby and i were the sickest of all.  the reason we got it was because we went to a homeschool family gym night and played in a large gymnasium with a bunch of families.  one family who has a lot of kids, had some that had been sick, but were over it (they were there) and some still sick (kept at home).  we and several other families came down with it a week later.  one family that got it, had a couple days in between bouts of it, and their 2 yo. had it 3 times!  i think it's really all about the state of your immune system.  hope it's over quick for your family.   :P
: oliveoil August 02, 2006, 07:28:21 PM
Just found out that 'this' -whatever it is, is going around in our church...so I don't think it could be a food born illness...or could it?
: oliveoil August 03, 2006, 06:50:05 AM
Well I looked up stomach flu, stomach viruses, and gastroenteritis. I think from what I read this may be the Norovirus-I think that's what it was called. And with this particular virus you are contagious the moment you feel ill until 3 days after you've recovered.
Makes me want to reconsider staying for the fellowship meal at church...since this is how I think it was passed around to all of us. Most of our church has had it these past two weeks. :(
: SC August 03, 2006, 07:35:43 AM
I don't totally accept the thinking behind illness that says it is caused by being exposed to germs. Not everyone exposed to a germ gets ill. Why? Because becoming ill is much more complex than just running across an opportunistic germ. We are all exposed to numerous "bad germs" daily without suffering ill effects.

When our immune systems are vulnerable AND we are exposed to a virus THAT's when we get ill. In other words, the human body was created with a defense system that -- when supported -- is able to fend off attack.

The thinking behind the no immunization for children or at least selective and slow immunizations movement is that we are bombarding little immune systems with far too many serums than their bodies were designed to handle at one time. In nature, it would be rare to be exposed to measles mumps and rubella at one single moment.

This also explains why many women succumb to illness just before their period. Our immune systems have an ebb and flow that mirrors our general health. Someone just getting over a cold, not eating or sleeping well will have lower immunity than someone enjoying vibrant energy and stamina.

The best way I can think to describe it is to picture the processes inside your body as a sorting system. Somewhere in all of that is a garbage bucket where toxins (things you take into your system that aren't food) are placed. When the bucket gets full, it automatically dumps and clears from your system. You will experience this toxin dump in a lot of ways: mucus discharge, headaches, skin eruptions, diarrhea, vomiting, fever, etc. This is your body trying to rid itself of toxins that have overloaded the system.

If your body is regularly cleared of toxins that you can control (or not exposed to them in the first place), it has a better chance of dealing with the toxins you cannot control more efficiently. This becomes especially important when you are thinking about what to feed or expose someone to that has physical challenges.

So, what would I do if someone in my household had something that was contagious? I would realize that everyone's immune system was working overtime to try and fend the offending bug off. Everyone would get foods and supplements that would support their immune systems while they are working so hard. Washing hands would become a frequent pasttime and we would all rediscover the joys of disposable cups (throw away after each use) and dishes. Also, whoever has to clean up someone else's "toxic dump" would be especially careful about washing hands afterwards. We would review why we cover our mouths when we sneeze or cough. And, everyone gets to enjoy a good skin brushing before their daily bathing (to support the lymphatic system).

Which soap? -- NOT ANTIBACTERIAL -- This just wipes the slate clear of both the good and bad guys and leaves the area clear of any competition. Picture a plot of ground cleared of all plants. The weeds are the first ones to show up again. It's the same with bacteria -- the bad ones will thrive without any competition. A fingernail brush is used to be sure hands are thoroughly scrubbed using regular soap.

That's the method we've used. It seems to keep illness at a minimum. Of course, my DH has the constitution of an indestructible team of mules. It is a real rarity that anything bothers him. I suspect it is because he wasn't exposed to as many immunizations as a child.
: oliveoil August 03, 2006, 08:28:28 AM
Very interesting SC. I agree, I can see that in my kids. There is one who always gets hit harder than anyone else. And I have one who though 'scrawny' seems to have the best immune system. He's sick now though he hasn't thrown up and only has a headache and 'gas bubbles' as he says. And a slight fever. The other two couldn't keep anything down and had a high fever.
I'm wondering how my immune system is right now!
: natural August 04, 2006, 03:10:54 AM
I too have heard that a 24 hour flu is food related. I hears this from Dr. Richard Schultze.

SC you wrote a very informative piece. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Thanks!
 I do the same things when a sickness is going around. I try to make easy to digest foods too so our bodies can put thier energy toward defence. I have us all drinking lots of water too!! REALLY important! Having good additudes is healthful too especially when eating/chewing.

Speaking of chewing I just read in the Maker's Diet ...chewing well (25-50 times each bite) produces more enzymes that were made to kill toxins on the food before it even reaches your stomach. I have heard this before too in my research on chewing food....BTW did you know a female mosquito has 47 teeth? I read it in many online articles during this research.

Isn't roto- virus what a toddler gets when it plays in the toilet?

: shawnaincov August 06, 2006, 08:42:20 AM
Oliveoil,

You need Tummy Tune-up.  I have a post in the recommendations.  It is called Tummy Tune-up testimonial.  Read it.  I am also an RN.  There is a BIG difference between a stomach virus and the flu.  The flu "influenza" lasts for many days.  You feel as if your body will break into at times.  Your muscles ache, you will run a high fever, etc.  You normally won't vomit unless it is from the fever.  A stomach virus is contaious and so is the flu.. I don't know anything about the stomach virus being food born though.  There is food born illness though.  If you get food poisoning you will know it.  I have had the stomach virus so many times it makes the mind spin to think on it.  I have had food poisoning just once though.  I really personnally don't think that a stomach virus is food born.  Hope the TT testimonial helps.
Shawna :-*
: MOmom August 06, 2006, 01:21:21 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond.  I am packing for a three day vacation.  Anyways, I can't remember exactly where I found the info on the 24 hour sickness.  It was either Prescription for Nutritional Healing or Poisons in Your Food.  I think it was the latter.  My sister is a nurse and she always tells me of these "new" viruses that are getting funny names.  Only because the viruses are just mutating  because of excess antibiotic use.  So, hearing a new virus name always cracks me up.  Anyone hear of the roto-virus?   :)

My understanding and belief is that NOTHING mutates.  Only the "weaker" bacteria,virus,bug,etc. are killed by a specific medication taken.  The stronger "bug" was not killed by that medication.  The "bug" didn't mutate it just wasn't killed by the specific med taken.  This cycle of specific med taken--"weakest bug" killed the "strongest bug" still lives-- is played over and over again with each different drug until all "bugs" are either killed OR there is no more known drugs to be taken.  The "bugs" are not mutating and out-smarting the drugs--it's just that all known meds were not able to kill the last or strongest "bug".

Kinda' like which "bug" has the strongest immune system to fight off the medication taken.

Again, just my understanding and belief that God did not create a single item to mutate maybe adapt but not mutate.

: DawnsEarlyBirds January 04, 2007, 02:57:40 PM
My DIL is about 3 months pregnant, and has a nasty stomach bug.  They asked for advice, being worried about the baby.  The only thing I feel is a concern is the chance of becoming dehydrated.  Is there anything else they should be thinking about?
: healthybratt January 05, 2007, 05:18:18 AM
Tummy Tuneup could provide her some relief...or some ginger tea (or bath) might help.

I've never heard of the stomach flu being risky for the baby.   :-\
: Melie January 05, 2007, 06:54:48 AM
With my last pregnancy, my 3rd, I got the stomach flu 3 times!!!  It was awful.  I just stayed as hydrated as I could and dealt with it.  Luckily each time it was only 24 hrs and mostly through the night.  My baby was always fine and everything was okay.  I agree with HB though.  I havn't yet tried Tummy TU but I use some really good probiotics which have helped me a lot since them.  I didn't know about them during my last pregnancy.
: kittyninja January 05, 2007, 07:06:51 AM
OMIGOODNESS!! this is my third (i'm six months) and i've already had it 3 times also!! not fun....really didn't do much for it except sleep and try to...achem...purge it out of system. in my 1st trimester i wanted nothing to do with natural remedies so sucked down ginger ale and chicken broth.
: his.silly.wife January 05, 2007, 07:23:34 AM
I've never heard of the stomach flu being risky for the baby.   :-\

I had the stomach flu with my last.  He was already very active, it was during the second trimester.  So, having him wiggling around didn't help me feel any better.  Anyway, after one of my bathroom breaks, I think I may have scared him, as he stopped his night time soccer practice and just kinda kept quiet for a while.  He was still moving, but just not as rough as he had been.  He's healthy at almost 3 years, so I wouldn't worry to much.

I hope the pregnant mama feels better soon.  The stomach flu is bad enough, being pregnant at the same time is just not fun.
: kittyninja January 05, 2007, 08:06:11 AM

I've never heard of the stomach flu being risky for the baby.   :-\

Yeah the only real risk is being dehydrated...with any flu or fever really. it can actually send you into preterm labor. oh man and a few time i felt like i was gonna hurl the baby out too!! WOOOWEEEE!!!
: Jlynn April 25, 2007, 12:37:29 PM
Hope this is okay to start a thread for flu...meaning throw-up/diarrhea type of flu.  I have 3 of 4 sick today, and my littlest had it a few days ago. I would love to have info on what people do for flu.  Also, specific things for getting stomach back to normal. I imagine the tummy tune-up...anything else?

I read through some posts that had good info, but could not find one dedicated to this topic...?

Here is some links that were helpful for me today.

http://www.fluhelp.org/#natural_flu_remedies (  they oringate from this site)

Hydrogen Peroxide

12 Natural Treatments

I have also done the peppermint tea for soothing and some cammomile.  I just thought of something...has anyone ever made popcicles out of tea?  Hmmm.....   Popcicles can be soothing.

Looking forward to hearing your comments.
: 4myhoonie April 25, 2007, 04:39:54 PM

here's one i just posted a bit ago:

TTU is the BOMB!!!
: Jlynn April 25, 2007, 05:50:16 PM
I read that one and sure wish I had TTT in my cupboard now and 12 hours ago!  I will be ordering some very soon.
: Jlynn April 27, 2007, 06:56:41 AM
bump
: Jlynn April 30, 2007, 01:47:46 PM
Great link on diarrhea info and remedies.

: mommyjen May 21, 2007, 11:24:08 AM
apple sauce with carob poder mixed into it is amazing at stopping diarrhea.

BRAT Diet for Diarrhea:  Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast
: lotsagirls May 21, 2007, 11:51:26 AM
1 Tbsp applesauce w/ 1/2 tsp carob powder and 1/2 tsp cinnamon is good for diarrhea.

We use Activated Charcoal for vomiting and diarrhea.  1-2 capsules after each visit to the bathroom.  (it doesn't usually take more than 1-2 capsules)

I take ginger for nausea, but the rest of my family hates it.  Although, they will take ginger baths for aches and pains.

My midwife recommends taking charcoal at the first sign of any illness along with drinking a cup of rosehips tea (which my kids love to sip while taking a hot bath w/ ginger or lavender, or some other EO), wrapping up in a warm blanket and sleeping.  This really does work!
: daisey May 21, 2007, 03:20:52 PM
Smart midwife!!!   ;)    We always use charcoal at the first sign of intestinal discomfort and that usually takes care of it.   Along with that contrast showers and bed help if you can do that.
: JeffAngie May 23, 2007, 11:31:58 AM
I have seen refrences to this TTT I am quessing it is a tea.  Do you make it or buy it?  Where would I get it.

: 4myhoonie May 23, 2007, 04:18:54 PM

i think what you mean is TTU.  it's tummy tune up, we get it from beeyoutiful.com or morethanalive.com  it's a great probiotic and their original formula will stop vomiting.  i have had it work 4 times now and if you do it after they vomit the first time it works great and usually only takes one dose.  i just open the capsule and dump it on their tongue and they drink a sip of water to wash it down.  here's link for ya:
: smileyface September 07, 2007, 06:22:20 PM
I'm out of town visiting family, and my 2 oldest have some kind of stomach bug.  :-\ They have each vomited a few times, and are feeling pretty yucky. They aren't running fevers though, just upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Since I'm not home, I have nothing on hand. But I think I might be able to get some activated charcoal tomorrow, and probably some probiotics. I have never used activated charcoal, they are 7 and 8, it should be ok for them right? ??? Is there a special type I should be looking for? Doesn't it come in powder and pill form? And can I give them the probiotics at the same time? Or would the charcoal just absorb them? I think they are done with the vomiting, but they are still feeling nauseous. And we have lots of family to see tomorrow that we haven't seen in a while. I would hate for them to not be able to enjoy the visit because they feel yucky.  :( :( Any other recommendations? Thanks!  :)
: daisey September 08, 2007, 08:26:26 AM

It is so awful to feel ucky when you are away from home.
Yes, charcoal would be good for both of them.   I give 1 tbsp in about 1/2 cup of water with another glass of water for a chaser.   ;)    I have read that you shouldn't take any other kind of meds or supplements within a half hour of taking charcoal.     Just be sure it is activated charcoal.   Either powder or pills are fine but you can control how much you give in the powder easier.   HTH
: 4myhoonie September 24, 2007, 09:26:16 AM
well, we are in day 7 of passing the stomach flu between people.   :P  2 nights i've stayed up all night, and last night i was awake at every sound someone made being paranoid!  i am curious, what you ladies feed your other kids when someone around you has the flu (vomiting kind).  i prefer to starve it out, myself when others have it around me.  i feel queasy and just don't have any desire to eat.  but of course, kids don't take kindly to that plan!!!  i feel that our bodies can use their defenses to fight it, if we are not stuffing lots of food in for it to have to work hard to digest.  i've been giving the others kefir smoothies, but the last kid to get it felt kinda sick when she got up, took TTU, about an hour later had the smoothie, then 2 hours later threw that up.   so what measures do you all take with the well kids so they don't get it?  i have two that haven't had it, and i would love it if they didn't!  i am giving them acidophoilis blast and garlic.  my son seems to escape sometimes when everyone else gets it.  ideas?
: CountyCork September 24, 2007, 10:25:33 AM
Stomach flu can only be passed from either poo or vomit to mouth.  That simple.  The only way to try to keep it at bay is to thoroughly wash surfaces in bleach - including doorknobs, railings, light switches, bathrooms, etc.  If you (or child) touches poo or vomit, then touches a surface or food without THOROUGHLY washing hands in running, warm water and soap for 15-30 seconds, then the virus passes.  It likes warm, wet places.  It can survive for a day or two.  But even after a child is better, the live virus can survive in their bowels for 72 hours.  Hands must be washed well after using the bathroom each and every time.  If you've been cleaning linens, the virus is in your laundry room and appliances.
Sorry to sound paranoid, but that's the deal.  It's why this virus does so well on cruise ships, dorm rooms, restaurants, schools, etc.  It CAN NOT be trasmitted through the air unless of course someone throws up and it hits you on the face!  Yukko!  It has to be ingested in some way or another.
So, get some bleach wipes and go after all your doorknobs and surfaces, get those bathrooms really clean, conduct a handwashing clinic in your home with your people, and then pray!
We had it a couple winters ago, with 3-5 days between people, and it took (with one relaspe on one kid) almost 3 weeks to make it's way through our home.  It was during the winter Olympics in Torino, so we called it the Puke Olympics.
Hoping you get well soon!
: 4myhoonie September 24, 2007, 11:33:26 AM
ok--then how did we get it????  we went to someone's house who had the flu.  she had it Thursday.  we went there SUNDAY!!!  my 15yo. got it monday night.  i am washing my hands like crazy.  so far, there hasn't been much that landed on any surface. ok, so i forgot to hit post and since i wrote this 2 more kids have gotten it!  anyway, it has beeen really bad and it seemed there was nothing i could do.  the probiotics that always worked after the first episode just came back up with all but one kid.  i am stumped & very frutrated.

i didn't want to use bleach on my 100 year old house.  most of the door knobs are original.  so we used aerosol lysol and left it on to dry.  but it must have been too late.  now every single person in here has had it.  i am going to do the handwashing clinic with them, just so they can try not to bring things like this home.

also, if it is viral how is it possible that it can live "on" things for 3 days?

what to do about the washer?  tea tree oil?  and the dryer--wouldn't the heat kill it?  thanks for your advice, my friend that we got it from is a nurse and she said it can't live on surfaces very long at all, so it must have been in the air in her house.
: BJ_BOBBI_JO September 24, 2007, 12:40:49 PM
I cant remember all the types but I have learned that there are several types of the stomach flue AKA gastroenteritis.

-viral
-bacterial
-also it can be caused by a certain parasite. ( dunno what kind it might have been called Giardia)

So it can be transmitted via many ways for example like :

-Eating food/drink contaminated
- Eating/drinking after someone who is sick with it.
-Airborn, I read where breathing in a  stomach flu sick persons vomit while cleaning it up can cause you to get the virus that can cause it.

I am on my 2nd episode of it. I got the 1st episode about 8 days ago. It is not as bad this time. I sent my mom to the very trusted Natures Sunshine herbalist lady  this morning to get me some :
- anti-gas pills ( they work great and have some great herbs in them) they are really limiting the painful intestional cramping and bloating.

-some non-milk source acidophilus pills ( because at this point any milk would do me in) They have some powerful vegatarian probodics like I need.

-and some herbs for boosting the immune system.

-Also I just ordered some Yeast Assassin today from beeyoutiful.com.

I want to attack  whatever is causing this repeat stomch flu full force.

Peppermint has been helping me a great deal as well. If your kids can tolerate it it might help them to rub some of the peppermint oil on their abdomins. It helps me some. But one can easily rub it in their eyes and that burns so becareful. Also putting some peppermint oil drops in their belly button helps.

I am wandering the same thing :
" how to get rid of it and avoid it happening again"

Of course cleanliness is a major issue in helping it but how can a mother do that when the kids and parents are all barfing and needing care and cleaning up? That is why I am focusing on boosting my immune system so my body can better fight this dreaded stuff off. I certainly do not want episode 3 coming. My kids have each had it 2 times the past 8 days as well but it has been mild for them.
: CountyCork September 24, 2007, 12:46:32 PM
Depending on incubation time, that makes sense.   You pick it up, it sits in you for 1-5 days for whatever virus it is, then WHAMMO the puke-fest starts.  We've had 24 hour incubation time, and then 5 day incubation time.  Nasty little buggers!
: lotsaboys September 24, 2007, 03:28:20 PM
well, we are in day 7 of passing the stomach flu between people.   :P  l2 nights i've stayed up all night, and last night i was awake at every sound someone made being paranoid!  i am curious, what you ladies feed your other kids when someone around you has the flu (vomiting kind).  i prefer to starve it out, myself when others have it around me.  i feel queasy and just don't have any desire to eat.  but of course, kids don't take kindly to that plan!!!  i feel that our bodies can use their defenses to fight it, if we are not stuffing lots of food in for it to have to work hard to digest.  i've been giving the others kefir smoothies, but the last kid to get it felt kinda sick when she got up, took TTU, about an hour later had the smoothie, then 2 hours later threw that up.   so what measures do you all take with the well kids so they don't get it?  i have two that haven't had it, and i would love it if they didn't!  i am giving them acidophoilis blast and garlic.  my son seems to escape sometimes when everyone else gets it.  ideas?

Besides TTU, I always cook with lots of good stock- chicken rice or noodle soup and eat things like toast and soft eggs. Room temp drinks as they can handle.

I also do the washing with bleach thing.
: twitterpated4hubby September 24, 2007, 03:42:04 PM
I'm always the one asking questions but this time i can answer one...I found this stuff called virus stop. It used to be called purify but it stopped viruses so well they changed the name. I get it at the healthfood store in my town. This stuff is amazing. If someone in my house is sick then the rest of us take the virus stop and nobody else gets it. GREAT stuff!!!
: Gigi September 25, 2007, 01:35:04 PM
BJ, I can tell you're feeling better!!!  Praise the Lord, huh?
: Leah IL September 26, 2007, 01:40:33 AM

What is this and what's in it??
: Mama Bear September 26, 2007, 03:08:07 AM
What about using activated charcoal? We are getting over the stomach bug too...uh, but not the vomiting kind (KWIM? :o) yeah, not pretty. ~and not everyone here got it. I used the activated charcoal on myself and it stopped the 'action'...didn't really make me feel better, but I was able to function at least. I couldn't get DS (who had it bad) to use it...fortunatley, now the bug is gone...but I am still santitizing the house!!
Gina
: 4myhoonie September 26, 2007, 05:24:46 AM

more info???  is there a brand name?  do you buy it over the internet or at a local health food store?  and one more question--is it homeopathic?  thanks!  i will be doing this stuff as i am desperate not to go through this again.  by the time all is said and done we will have been out of all activities for 2 weeks, my hubby missed 2 days of work and probably should have stayed home longer not to give it to others.  school is on hold and i have lost about 3 nights of sleep.  it has been awful.  thanks so much for posting this and in advance for answering my questions.
: twitterpated4hubby September 26, 2007, 05:37:32 AM
I will have to call and find out the answers to your questions. I'm really not sure but i do know its wonderful stuff. Its put the owner of the healthfood store in remission from Lupus. It's not homeapathy i do know that. Let me find out some more info on it and i will let you know. You could go to a healthfood store and ask about it. Its called VIRUS STOP and the old name was PURIFY.
: 4myhoonie September 26, 2007, 05:51:39 AM

Thanks, i just googled it and it was all about computer viruses.   ::)
: twitterpated4hubby September 26, 2007, 07:45:03 AM
 :D

Thanks, i just googled it and it was all about computer viruses.   ::)

:D
: twitterpated4hubby September 26, 2007, 10:12:19 AM
OK, i found the brand name so now you can google it without bringing  up computer viruses. ;D

The brand name is called Enzymedica
: 4myhoonie September 26, 2007, 11:06:46 AM

The brand name is called Enzymedica

cool!  thanks!

ok, so now i found it, just exactly how much do you usually take or give to your kids?  1 daily, or 1 w/ each meal, and for how many days after the first person gets sick?

this week--child #1 gets sick Monday night, child #2 friday night, dad on Sunday and Monday, child #3, 4 and 5 on the following Monday.  so for 1 full week it ran through our house.   :P  thanks for your help!
: twitterpated4hubby September 27, 2007, 05:28:37 AM
Because of the cost, we can't afford to take them every day for maintenance. I'm sure some ppl do that though. If we have been around someone who has a virus or if one of us get sick, i will start my family on the virus stop. At Thanksgiving one year we had family that came and brought a stomach virus with them. I didn't have any virus stop at the time and because of it being thanksgiving day I couldn't get any. The next day my dd was sick with the virus and then my other dd got sick. I was searching in the cabinet for something and found the virus stop bottle had about 4 pills left. I was excited and thought i would test it out and see if it really worked. So, i started taking them and even though i cleaned up after both kids and DH, i never did get sick. Thats when i knew this stuff was awesome.

The next year we were around viruses a few times and i would start my family on them right Away...I'm thinking maybe 2 3X's  the first day. Then the next day maybe 1 3X's a day. We never caught the virus even though everyone around us did. This stuff rocks!! :D
: 4myhoonie September 27, 2007, 10:00:26 AM

cool!  maybe i should have ordered 2 bottles!   ;D  thanks for the info.
: berthday October 10, 2007, 02:44:29 AM
My 5 yro DD started vomiting last night and  went all night and this morning vomiting -even a sip of water comes right back up.I have been giving her TTU--how often can I give this to her? Any other tips?
My 3 yro DS had it a week ago but now He has had diarrhea for a week and complains of his tummy hurting ALL the time and He even walks funny (real stiff and careful, like He's afraid of making it worse) He has a good appetite though.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
: cecac October 10, 2007, 05:24:28 AM
I've had some success making a peppermint and catnip tea and then watering it down quite a bit. If I sweeten it, I would go ahead and use a little sugar.  Honey might cause too much of a reaction.  I think last time I didn't sweeten at all for that first 24 hours.   Then, I try and get the child to take 1-2 sips every 15 minutes or so during the really violent throwing up time.  My children seem to be able to keep this down long enough that I don't worry about dehydration.  Although, they do keep throwing up, just not right after they have drunk the tea.

As to the little one with diarrhea, perhaps sticking to a very bland diet and keeping on with the TTU.  While I don't use TTU, I am thinking you may want to be careful not to overdose on it or on a probiotic because, IMO, it can keep diarrhea going.  I'm thinking I'd just try to give a standard dose but keep it consistent from day to day.

Your son may be walking carefully because his intestinal area is sore.  I had severe diarrhea last week, and I was very uncomfortable for a few days.

I am sorry if I'm giving out incorrect information on the TTU.  Hopefully someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong there.  I just have observed the diarrhea with too much probiotics before.

HTH, and I pray healing for your children,
Cara
: herbs girl December 04, 2007, 01:42:23 PM
Ok my 2 kids are throwing up non-stop, cant keep water or tea down at all. Just throwing up every 10-20 minutes or so with some dry heaves. What can I do besides an enema? I have high quality probiotic Florajen, I gave on to my 5 year old and he threw that up too. I made tea and tried a few spoonfuls every 5 minutes and they threw that up too.  Anybody have any ideas? Its pretty hard to give them any herbs or remedies by mouth if they just throw it up immedietly!!
: healthyinOhio December 04, 2007, 01:47:39 PM

Sorry your kids are so ill!  Maybe try some Goot rubbed all over them, or do a garlic poultice on their feet.
: cecac December 04, 2007, 01:50:20 PM
You might try to keep going with the 1-2 sips, but perhaps at 15 minute intervals.  That is what a nurse told me once, and it has worked fairly well. Whether they throw it up or not, I think it may help with dehydration.  If you have catnip/peppermint, that has been a good combo for my kids.  They actually kept it down a little longer than anything else during the bad hours of a flu.  Also will help with keeping a fever down.

HTH,
Cara
: herbs girl December 04, 2007, 03:13:07 PM
Thanks!!
: 4myhoonie December 05, 2007, 06:23:00 PM

i read on here the other day that grapefruit seed extract works for vomiting.  i haven't tried it yet, but thought it might help.  i'm sorry, i can't find the link for ya, hope it helps!
: rebekahgrif December 06, 2007, 01:49:08 AM
I have to say when my son was that sick last year I rubbed an essential oil blend my inlaws had onto his stomach area. He stopped vomitting and slept.  I had some success by rubbing lavendar oil and peppermint oil on my dd stomach a month ago....you have to remember to use a carrier oil with that.  Nicer than an enema and nothing for them to swallow that way.   I have also been told by a pharmacist that when the vomitting is done and they are starting to recover give them unbuttered popcorn first...easier to digest than crackers.  Yogurt is good as well.
: herbs girl December 06, 2007, 06:45:13 AM
The vomiting was so bad, I feel that even GSE would not have stayed down, once it got started for most of us. But the worst was over in 6-8 hours, MIne didnt last long at all and I only threw up once.  The essential oils is something to look into. Something else to look into is homeopathic sublingual tablets to stop vomiting, the ones you put under the tounge. ALso, I tried Coke for the kids, and they never threw it up, like a tsp or two every 15 minutes. Hmmm I might have to keep more coke around for emergencies.

I have used the equivalent of Tummy tuneup for vomiting in the past, and sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work. Putting it on the tounge is a good idea, but its hard to get my kids to cooperate with me sometimes!
: MariC December 14, 2007, 01:55:06 PM
Hi
I am new here and most of my family just came down with the yuckiest stomach flu.  I have been reading this thread and have wondered if anyone is still having good results with the virus stop?  I can not seem to find any information on line.  Can someone anyone provide me with a web address that I might use?  I called my local health food store and they have never heard of it.  Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

Colleen
: Roc December 14, 2007, 08:38:29 PM
try colloidal silver. that's what i use. also goggle it to find info on it. i just discovered it so I'm still learning about it. my son had a staph infection and i sprayed some silver on it for a few days and it was gone. no antibiotics need. when i looked it up it said you could use it for a stomach flu. god bless you! your in my prays.
: wlwest January 01, 2008, 10:30:45 AM
This bug is going around.  My son had it a few days before christmas, and it lasted about 24 hours.  Couldn't even keep water down.  Then a few days later, my 2 youngest got it.  My 2 yr old suffered the worse, they both had it at the same time, at night.   :'(  It was a rough night, the 2 year old threw up all night, just stomach bile after a while.  Then 2 days ago, my oldest, and last child threw up.  Now, I have it, only I'm not throwing up, but am burping alot.  I've taken a peppermint bath, and tea.  But no relief yet.

What about bentonite clay?  would that work for this??  I'm desperate to get better,  and the aches are the worse!

wendy
: 4lilkeepers January 01, 2008, 01:53:10 PM
drops.  http://www.herbsmd.com/detail/NatraBio/4153/Childrens-Cold-Flu.htm

I have had these drops to stop a headache in my 4 yr old almost immediately.  It also calms and practically stops severe congestion with four doses.  You give it every 20 minutes until symptoms stop.  It's for everything!  I get it at my local health food store for about 8 bucks!

IT's worth it.

4lilkeepers

Hope your bunch gets better soon.....
: chrisg20 February 03, 2008, 09:32:04 AM
I've read about TTU, but will any priobiotic work?  Like Primal Defense?  Also, what about grapefruitseed extract?  Anyone ever try Virastop by Enzymedica?  Any success?  Thanks!
Chris  :)
: healthybratt February 03, 2008, 09:45:27 AM
When attempting to ward off the viruses that cause gastro-intestinal upset and illness, you want to attempt to get as many different types of bacteria and yeasts into your GI tract as possible.  Variety and numbers is key.  So when selecting a brand of probiotic, you should look at how many organisms are being delivered in each serving; how many different species are being provided in each serving; delivery system of the supplement (as many of these organisms cannot survive the acidic environment of the stomach in order to get into the intestines) and the stability of the supplement (do I need to refrigerate or are the supplements going to die in transit when ordering, etc).

Tummy Tune-up Original Blend is a good example of the things listed above because it offers 8 different species of organisms, and each pill contains many more organisms than advertised to ensure that you're getting at least the number guaranteed on the bottle, the pills are enteric coated to provide a more stable delivery into the intestines and to give them a more stable shelf like to prevent the need for refridgeration or the risk of spoilage during delivery.

: twitterpated4hubby February 04, 2008, 12:22:26 PM
 Virastop by Enzymedica Is the best thing in the world to stop the stomach flu. I know it cost a lot but this stuff has saved our family so many times. It will stop it in its tracks...not just the symptoms but it really kills the flu off. I am amazed by it. :)
: chrisg20 February 04, 2008, 03:14:03 PM
Thanks!  I just bought it, but I'm glad to know it works!  Is it safe to open the capsules and mix into baby food or is it only for adults?  What is the dosage that works best?  Thanks again!
Chris
: amenking February 04, 2008, 03:55:17 PM
I second the ViraStop.  We have used it a few times now and have had great results!

I just open a capsule and mix it with a little bit of applesauce for my kids.  They don't like it, but they will take it.  I have never given them more than 2 at a time and the baby just 1 at a time.  I think it made the baby's face break out some, but am not 100% sure it was that.
: twitterpated4hubby February 04, 2008, 03:59:51 PM
Ya know, im pretty sure its safe for a baby. How old is your baby? Im thinking it was one of those things that's totally safe for anyone to take. I know a woman who takes it because she was dying of lupus and it cured her. She is in remission and has been for years. She actually married the health food store guy who helped her know what to do for her sickness. LOL!! you may want to check further into it and make sure before you put some in babies food but like i said, im pretty sure its harmless. I have found that if one of us already has the virus that that person cant keep the pill down. The rest of us all just make sure to take the virus stop for a while until we feel safe. I wonder if breaking open the pill and trying to get it down that way would help for someone who already was throwing up though. Maybe the pill just doesnt have time to dissolve and work before they throw it up. Anyway..that was just a thought. Let me know how it works for you. ;)
: chrisg20 February 04, 2008, 04:44:51 PM
Thanks for all the helpful info  ;D
My dd's are 3 1/2 and 13 mos.  What is the dose for adults?  Do you just follow the directions on the bottle for it to work properly?  Thanks again!

Chris
Mommy to Ella & Ashley
: twitterpated4hubby February 05, 2008, 05:20:53 AM
I really dont remember how much exactly an adult takes but im thinking i would take 2 maybe 3 times a day. Thats only if i knew for a fact we were gonna get sick because we had or were being exposed. That seemed to be enough for us to keep from getting it. Do you know anyone to call that may know the answer to how much to give a child and baby? If not then i could give you a # to my healthfood store. They always know stuff like that and im very impressed with them. I always feel safe listening to what they tell me. ;)
: DarlingSweetHeart February 08, 2008, 04:42:23 PM
Please direct me to where I can find info about what to do with the Flu during pregnancy.
Symptoms started monday night after 1st prenatal.
Temp reached upto 102.8 and is now back to normal
Threw up once
Aches and pains gone
Chills gone
Migrane subsiding as of tonight.
Diarrhea was gone, but it has come back -- everything is going through me.
I was strickly on clear liquids, broths, uncarbonated 7up, water Tuesday and Wednesday.
I gradually added the BRATS diet Thursday.
Today had egg bagel with milk, and banana.  Didn't finish bagel.
Diarrhea started again shortly after.
Was doing the tummy tune up at the beginning...didn't seem to touch it.
Started using lemon juice in water...OUCH!!
Started using ACV, and I feel like my output is more than my input.
antidiarrheals like Kaopectate are not ok,  I used Imodium AD and heard two different opinions about taking it during pregnancy.  Besides my dr's office said to let the bug flush out...what now??
: lotsagirls February 08, 2008, 05:15:38 PM
Do you have some activated charcoal?  I would take that along with some water after every visit to the bathroom.  It's safe to you during pregnancy.  We wouldn't be without it at our house.
: morningglory February 08, 2008, 08:10:26 PM
Blueberries!  They're good for constipation and diarrhea, and they taste really good too.  I've used them for diarrhea, and I was amazed at how quickly they worked.  I just ate the frozen ones until the diarrhea stopped.
: YoopreMama February 09, 2008, 01:38:49 AM
Those are good suggestions...also blackberries, carob, acidophilus, drinking water/tea (tannins help w/ diarrhea) to stay hydrated ...there's a chronic diarrhea thread, I think w/ good ideas...

Chronic Diarrhea:  Causes & Cures (http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3271.0.html)

: healthybratt February 09, 2008, 04:14:05 AM
I would first make sure you're getting as many good fluids as you can get into your body.  Bananas are definitely a must.  You'll need the potassium to stabilize and help retain your fluids.  I would keep up with the TT if you have it.  It may not kick it immediately, but that doesn't mean it's not doing it's part.  If you can stomach it, eat some garlic raw, if you can't try GOOT or poultices.  REST, REST, REST & REST some more.  Apples might help.  The pectin in them may help you to stop losing liquids.  Sounds like you've got an extra nasty bug that may be resistant but don't give up.
: steadygirl February 09, 2008, 05:32:09 AM
You could try psyllium/ bentonite clay or carob powder. Carob powder is much yummier. :D That is what we would give the little girl we watched if she was loose. It worked!
: CountyCork February 09, 2008, 06:05:38 AM
Stay away from any dairy, unless it is raw and preferrably cultured like Kefir or yogurt.
No sugar of any kind, even in "fruit juice" as it pulls salts out of you and creates more poo!
If you're doing BRAT, make sure the rice is brown, and the toast is whole wheat (real, not just brown colored).
Water with a bit of sea salt will help.
No "electrolyte" drinks like gatorade or such, as they are full of chemicals and dyes.
REST is right!  Stay horizontal as often as you can.
Hang in there!
: 4lilkeepers February 15, 2008, 07:54:19 AM
hydrated besides water?!  She doesn't drink it very well.  I don't wanna give gatorade or things like that becasue they have all the high fructose corn syrup in them.  I want her to be well, not make her sicker.   :)

If I juiced apples and oranges and pineapples, She would still be getting a lot of sugar, so what do I need?

The poor thing managed to wait until the other five got it and got almost over it before she contracted it!  She's usually the one who gets sick, first!? Go figure ???

Thanks
: busymomma February 15, 2008, 08:05:48 AM
My 4 yo doesn't like water either, but if I fill a cup nearly up with water and put just a splash of apple juice  in it to flavor it, she will drink it. (Maybe 1T to a cup of water??)   I had to get her to drink a lot this week because I thought she was getting a UTI and that worked well.
: healthybratt February 15, 2008, 08:15:20 AM
Liquids are very important with diarrhea and flu even if it means there's a  bit of sugar in them.  Avoid caffeine as this will cause more loss of liquids.  Naturally salted beverages can be a plus as the potassium is generally lost during illness and will help to retain fluids as they are replaced.

Try this link for recipes for replacement drinks.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5741.0.html (http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5741.0.html)

Baths are also a good way to help the body to absorb water when you cannot get it orally.

Enemas although not the most pleasant can help to replace fluids if there is risk of dehydration.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2147.msg18418.html#msg18418 (http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2147.msg18418.html#msg18418)
: Whiterock February 15, 2008, 08:42:48 AM
If she's not eating either, then whatever you give her needs to be as nutrient dense as you make it. I know that we automatically think "water" when we think about hydration, but the Brewer Diet got me thinking differently. Dr. Brewer did not recommend drinking water for pregnant women. He felt that when you can only hold down a certain amount of food and liquid them water was a waste of stomach space because it has so few nutrients in it. So he recommended that they drink nutrient dense stuff instead of water.

Some ideas are soups, stocks, broths, juices -- or better yet, whole fruits (if you can get her to eat them). The electrolyte drinks might help too, although not as nutritious. But remember that too much of certain juices (like apple juice, and even the electrolyte drinks) can cause diarrhea. So give her a variety. And the baths are a great idea.

WR
: 4lilkeepers February 15, 2008, 10:00:39 AM
include diarreah and thorwing up, fortunately!  It's just high fevers 104-105, severe body aches and a horrible cough and congestion.

Thanks so much for all this advice too!  I'm going to make the homemade gatorade stuff.  Right now, she's sipping a bottle of water with a bunny straw and a splash of cranberry juice in it.
: grocerygetter February 22, 2008, 04:48:07 AM
Hi

Thanks

Colleen
We used Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE) internally. You can check out this thread for more info on it http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4014.0.html (http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,4014.0.html). It wasn't originally why I bought it but it worked! Oh, we would take a probiotic at a separate time of day also. I think I mention that in the GSE thread.
: healthybratt February 22, 2008, 05:42:59 AM
What is stomach flu?
Stomach flu, or gastroenteritis, is an inflammation of the lining of the digestive tract. Despite the name, it's not caused by the influenza virus. The most common culprit is one of a number of other viruses, including rotavirus, adenovirus, calicivirus, and astrovirus.

But gastroenteritis can also be caused by a potentially more serious bacterial infection, such as Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus, Campylobacter, or E. coli. Still other cases are caused by parasites such as giardia.

If your toddler has gastroenteritis, she may have diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, chills, and achiness. Her symptoms may be mild or severe, and they may last for just a few hours or for days, depending on the culprit.

How did my toddler get stomach flu?
Viral gastroenteritis is very contagious. Your child may have eaten food contaminated with the virus or shared a cup or utensils with someone who has the virus. (It's possible to have the virus without exhibiting symptoms.)

If bacteria or a parasite is to blame, your child may have ingested contaminated food or drinking water.

Another way your toddler may have picked up the illness is by coming in contact with infected fecal matter and then putting her hands in her mouth. This sounds gross, but it happens a lot, especially in daycare situations. Remember that germs are microscopic, so even when a child's hands don't look dirty, they may be covered with bacteria.

How common is stomach flu?
Viral gastroenteritis is the second most common illness in the United States after upper respiratory infections (such as colds). Before the age of 3, the average child will come down with the stomach flu at least twice a year, more often if she's in daycare.

Kids usually enjoy a boost in their immunity after they turn 3 years old and may not contract the illness as often. Still, it's not uncommon for a child to continue to have two or three bouts a year.

from http://www.babycenter.com/0_stomach-flu-gastroenteritis_1190023.bc (http://www.babycenter.com/0_stomach-flu-gastroenteritis_1190023.bc)

Stomach Virus or Foodborne Illness?

The next time you come down with diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, and vomiting, and you think you have a stomach virus, think again. It may be caused by something you ate. Foodborne illness, or "food poisoning," as it is sometimes called, is often mistaken for a virus. The food service industry generally does a good job of providing us with a wholesome food supply. However, there are several factors that can change good foods into foods that are unfit to eat. Foodborne illnesses are usually caused by mishandling of food and/or bad hygiene habits of food workers that lead to illness-causing bacteria in the food. This article describes some of the most common foodborne illnesses and how to prevent them.

Salmonellosis

Salmonella bacteria can be found in food products such as yeast, coconut, pasta, baked products with cream fillings, milk, milk products, and raw poultry, beef, eggs, and shrimp. They also may be found on unwashed fruits and vegetables. The symptoms of salmonellosis generally occur six-48 hours after eating the contaminated food. Symptoms include nausea, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, fever, and headache. Symptoms are most severe for infants, young children, the elderly, and people with chronic conditions. Salmonellosis accounts for 1,000 deaths each year.

Salmonella bacteria are easily killed by heat. Some ways to prevent salmonellosis include:

* Thoroughly cook all foods that could be contaminated with the salmonella bacteria.
    * Avoiding cross-contamination. Do not prepare cooked or ready-to-eat foods on surfaces that previously contained raw meat or raw eggs unless the surface has been thoroughly washed and sanitized.
    * Avoiding undercooked eggs or foods containing raw eggs, such as cookie dough, cake batter, homemade Caesar salad dressing, and homemade eggnog.
    * Thoroughly washing hands, foods, or equipment that have had contact with raw meat or eggs, or with pets, insects, or other household pests.

Campylobacter Jejuni

Poultry, sheep, and cattle waste are the main sources of these bacteria; but feces (waste) from kittens, puppies, and birds also may be contaminated. People can become infected with the campylobacter jejuni bacteria from eating undercooked poultry, handling raw poultry or raw meat, drinking non chlorinated water or unpasteurized (raw) milk, and handling infected human or animal feces. Symptoms occur two-five days after eating contaminated food, and include diarrhea (often bloody), nausea, vomiting, fever, abdominal cramping, and pain.

These bacteria also are easily killed by heat. To prevent this illness:

* Thoroughly cook all meat and poultry. Maintain hot foods at 140°F or above when serving.
    * Wash hands properly before preparing food, after handling raw meats, and after handling pets or pet feces.
    * Thoroughly wash all kitchen areas and utensils that have come in contact with raw meat.
    * Drink pasteurized milk and chlorinated water.

Escherichia coli (E. coli)

Several strains or types of E. coli can cause diarrheal disease. The most common is E. coli 0157:H7, which can severely damage the lining of the intestines. This type of E. coli is transmitted by undercooked or raw hamburgers, salami, alfalfa sprouts, lettuce, unpasteurized milk, unpasteurized apple cider and apple juice, and contaminated well water. Symptoms usually begin two-five days after eating contaminated food, and include nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal cramping, watery or bloody diarrhea, and tiredness. This infection also can produce an uncommon but extremely severe complication-hemolytic uremic syndrome. Some of the ways to prevent E. coli infection are:

* Thoroughly cook all beef and beef products, especially ground beef.
    * Drink only pasteurized milk.
    * Do not drink unpasteurized juices and ciders.
    * Wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before eating or cooking.

Clostridium Perfingens

Meats and meat products, especially gravies, soups, leftovers, stews, and stuffing, are the foods commonly associated with this illness. Clostridium perfingens is resistant to heat, so proper cooking may not kill all the bacteria. Usually, clostridial food illness is caused by failure to keep food hot. As the cooked food cools to a lower temperature, the bacteria may multiply and produce toxins that can cause illness. Symptoms usually occur eight-12 hours after eating, and include abdominal pain, diarrhea, and sometimes nausea and vomiting.

Tips for avoiding clostridium perfingens include:

* Keep hot foods hot until they are served.
    * Cool leftovers, meat and gravy, soups, and stews quickly. Store leftovers in small containers and refrigerate them so they will cool as quickly as possible to slow the growth of these organisms.

General Tips

* Clean hands. Hands and fingernails should be washed thoroughly and often with soap and warm water, especially before handling or preparing food.
    * Correct temperatures. Cold temperatures often stop germs from growing, and heat can help kill germs. Keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. Prepared food should never be left standing at room temperature; food should be properly stored immediately.
    * Clean food. Foods should be protected during delivery, storage, preparation, display and service. Make sure food does not become infected by coughs, sneezes, dirty hands, dirty equipment, pests, animals, or cross-contamination.
    * Cooked food. Foods should be cooked thoroughly at proper temperatures, particularly meat and meat products. While certain foods like steak and some fish are often prepared rare or "pink" inside, food for children, pregnant women, and people with health conditions should be cooked well done. Ground meats in particular should never be "pink."
    * Clean service. Contaminated utensils may spread disease. Disposable eating utensils are clean and should be handled in such as way as to keep them sanitary. Reusable utensils should be scraped, washed clean in hot water, and sanitized as required by your local health department guidelines.

Taking these simple precautions can help ensure food safety and healthy children.

from http://www.healthychild.net/articles/na33virus.html (http://www.healthychild.net/articles/na33virus.html)

I found several articles where scientists are investigating a "new" technique called competitive exclusion to prevent salmonella in chickens and e-coli in cows.  This is the process by where probiotics (or what the scientists call "benign" microorganisms) are introduced into the animals to crowd out the ecoli, salmonella and other dangerous organisms.

Funny thing is, I couldn't find anything in the medical stuff to support that this might also work for a human.   ::)
: little mama February 26, 2008, 02:21:51 AM
Maybe you all have some wisdom for me. My 4 year old has had something for the past couple of weeks (seems like a coons age!). Some days she is fine with a good appetite but often she wakes up in the morning or sometime in the night throwing up. Usually is is just one time the she is OK for the rest of the day. She has also had diarrhea sporadicly. Sunday morning she puked all forenoon and was fine in the afternoon. Last eve she complained that her stomach hurt again and she didn't eat much supper. She woke up this morning around 4:30 with a bed full of diarrhea. YUCK! I put her it the tub where she proceeded to throw up several times. This has drug out long enough! Is this an ongoing stomach bug. The weird thing is, I don't ever remember her throwing up in her life, maybe one time, neither she nor I usually catch stomach bugs and now she's been throwing up for weeks. I have been giving her slippery elm whenever she has a bought of diarrhea nd that takes care of that. This morning I gave her a garlic/probiotic/slippery elm enema. That was fun. :-[ Do I just need to be more faithful at giving her TTU three times a day? Any other suggestions?
: lotsagirls February 26, 2008, 04:48:00 AM

I give mine activated charcoal after every bout of vomiting and or diarrhea.  I have it in capsule form and give 2 capsules each time.  *Drink LOTS of water* as charcoal will cause constipation.

I also give TTU before they eat anything.  I have even doubled the dose during times of extreme sickness.

I would also try the BRAT diet...bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.  Keep it simple for a while to give the digestive system a rest.

HTH!
: Whiterock February 26, 2008, 05:18:18 AM
Do you think maybe she has picked up a parasite somehow? Those nasty little things can make you pretty sick. Giardia is one that can cause symptoms like this, I think.

WR
: little mama February 26, 2008, 10:46:56 AM
never heard of it. Where do I find out more?
: Whiterock February 26, 2008, 06:13:37 PM
You can do a search on this site or search the web. But I don't think that Giardia is not the only parasite that could cause such symptoms. So you may want to research parasites and parasite cleanses.

WR
: little mama February 27, 2008, 02:54:21 AM
A friend suggested trying bentonite clay for three days. She threw up the first dose yesterday afternoon but hasn't thrown up since. She seems better than normal this morning so I think I'll stick with this right now. If this doesn't work I'll dig deeper.
: chrisg20 March 03, 2008, 08:04:08 AM
I have Virastop and Tummy Tuneup Original in the house, as welll as Culturelle.  What should I take and what dose?  Can I give it to my 3.4 yo and 14 mo?

Thanks for the quick help!  Please send get well/stay well vibes!
Chris
: djsnjones March 03, 2008, 10:27:25 AM
That depends a little on what kind of stomach virus.  Is it a flu-type of thing (fever and joint aches)?  If so, then I recommend Oscillococcinum....

Oscillococcinum is safe for children age 2 and over.

If it's something else, like something he ate, I would recommend Echinacea.  Even if it's some other kind of virus that is making him have nausea and diarrhea, I recommend Echinacea also.

For just indigestion, I recommend ginger capsules, Jamaican ginger beer, and/or peppermint tea.

Best wishes.
: SarahK March 03, 2008, 10:37:11 AM
I have used TTU for stomach illnesses with success.  I give one whole/as is and then follow with a spoonfull of yogurt or sour cream that has the contents of another capsule stirred in.

Usually settles an upset tummy pretty quickly.

Can't help you on the vibes though.  Us Minnesota folks can vibe like the best of 'em - but it's up to 20 today.  Way to warm for vibing or shivering either way.
: crystal March 03, 2008, 10:47:49 AM
I would suggest GSE 4 times a day. (Amount of drops depends on strength.  Beeyoutiful's is twice as strong as Nutribiotic.)  Not certain how to get it into the baby.  The toddler might take it in juice.  It is horrible tasting stuff. Alternate the GSE with good doses of TTU.  I have also read that the Virostop is good to stopping the stomach stuff.  There is lots of other info on here about this topic.
: chrisg20 March 03, 2008, 11:40:04 AM
Thanks all.  When you say good doses of TTU, what do you mean?  Like 2 caps 3x a day or even more?
: lotsaboys March 04, 2008, 09:46:10 AM
bump
: 4myhoonie March 04, 2008, 10:01:01 AM

how is your little one doing? did you figure out what the problem was?
: little mama March 05, 2008, 11:54:54 AM
I continued to give her Bentonite for another day at least ans she seemed fine. Sunday morning she puked again as we were about to go out the door so I gave her another dose and that was the end of it. I'm impressed with bentonite clay!
: 4myhoonie March 05, 2008, 12:27:07 PM

cool!  thanks!  so glad she is better.  i guess i will have to get me some of that, it's one thing i have been putting off.
: southmom2k July 31, 2008, 06:49:16 AM

I am thinking of trying this... but it I can't wait for it to get here. Is there another similar product that I could get at Whole foods or GNC that would be good for my 3 yr old?
: Whiterock July 31, 2008, 07:24:12 AM

If either of those places sell NOW brand products, then you may be able to find Gr8 Dophilus -it's the same thing.

WR
: mom2ryandkenna January 10, 2010, 06:39:02 AM
Just wondering. Have you all found that TTU does not work. I dread, dread, dread the stomach flu (my biggest fear). Well, my son came down with it Monday. He threw up once and after a TTU on his tongue was fine from 9:00 pm until 10 am. When he woke up, I gave him some water on his little empty tummy(silly I know). Then he got sick again and with the help of another TTU he was fine (no other symptoms). My daughter got sick Friday night, but after a TTU was fine the rest of the evening and next day. I am still giving them TTU 2X's per day. My question is, will the TTU continue to work, or do I need to have something else on hand. I also have GSE caplets from NOW. They are 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 and this is our first experience with the tummy flu (was sooo happy when my son made it through Preschool without it, despite pretty much every other kid coming down with it in his class). I am an Speech Therapist at the school so, I unfortunately know when all the kids are sick :P. Is there anything I can get in addition to what I have, to help with the "Next Time". Thanks and sorry for the long post. You all are a wealth of info :)

Carrie
: herbs girl January 10, 2010, 07:22:34 AM
I have had mixed results with the Tummy Tuneup and vomiting. (Gr8dopholis by NOW foods)  In the past,  it has seemed to work, but there has been times it has not worked for us. I am at the point now that Children's compoisition (has peppermint in it) seems to help upset tummies along with Nausea Cola syrup. Flat Coke helps too.
: mom2ryandkenna January 10, 2010, 07:46:04 AM
Funny that you would say flat Coke. That is always what my dad gave us when we were little and sick (which wasn't that often thank god). Curious, did you use the Now brand ot TTU. What is the other remedy that you mentioned. I am new and have never heard of it. Thanks for the help  ;D
Carrie
: herbs girl January 10, 2010, 08:26:57 AM
Cola syrup. It is the main ingredient in coke, the cola extract. You can get it at any pharmacy, grocery store, and some gas stations.

It is sometimes called "Nausea Syrup" or "Emetrol".

My 7 year old really likes this when he has a stomach ache and flu, I just put a teaspoon or two and some ice and water, then he sips it very slowly.
: healthybratt January 11, 2010, 05:14:20 AM
Charcoal helps sometimes, but if they throw it up, it can be quite messy.   :P

I've taken my kids through the pukies and sometimes they respond quickly to treatment and other times they do not.  I don't believe it's because the treatment isn't working, I think it's just a more severe illness and takes more time and treatment to get where you're going (or you started treating in a later stage of the illness).

If it gets to the point where they can't keep TT or charcoal down, then we just don't give anything at all.  Ice chips or small sips of water/herbal tea as the child desires it and nothing else.  It is not imperative that they keep something in their tummies.  Dry heaves are bad, but if they just puke up what they put down, then it's better to allow the fast.  They won't starve to death  ;D

Once they can hold their liquids or they begin to experience hunger, then we usually give them Vitamin Water, bananas and/or pears to get their electrolytes back in order.  More TT at this point is always a good thing.

: 4myhoonie January 17, 2010, 12:26:36 AM
ok, i'm just sure i've seen this somewhere on here, but i can't find it!!  we have had a couple kids with the stomach flu, (supertonic is a great immune booster if you actually ingest it!!) anyway, my youngest got it Thursday night, was up all night, fine in the morning.  he ate breakfast, didn't want any lunch & played normally all day, after his nap had a few bites of apple and threw that up a while later. only puked twice then was starving and begging for food.  so we did ice chips and saltines for a couple hours.  he went to bed and slept all night.  same thing again, he ate breakfast, played normally all day, i got 7 or 8 bites of soup in him at lunch then last night (3rd night) he ate pizza and had major projectile vomiting several times til it was all out of his system, then had ice chips til he was too tired to see and went to bed.  we had given him probiotics and supertonic yesterday, thinking it would help him be completely over it.  sadly i also tried both after the first episode of vomiting and it did nothing.  i am just at a loss for WHY this is happening!!  :'( ??? how can he be fine all day???  has anyone figured this out?
: herbs girl January 17, 2010, 04:17:10 AM
This has actually happened to my son before when he was 3 years old or so. He did this for two weeks. Be fine part of the day or for a day, and then start vomiting again. He would even keep food down for a set amount of hours and then the vomiting would start.  Finally we took him to the doctor. She said some stomach virus' lasts for two weeks, and that we just had to let it take its course. Sounds like you are doing the right thing with Probiotics. That is what the emergency room doctor prescribed for my son- Probiotics! And after I started giving it to him, he started improving!

Have you tried charcoal or Bentonite clay (seperate from the probiotics of course)?
: 4myhoonie January 17, 2010, 05:07:55 AM
thanks, not yet, i have some dr. Schulze's #2, but my teenager threw it up one time!  eeeewww!!  maybe i will give him a couple today and see how supper goes.  scary!  i just want to get back to normal, and i have 3 kids & hubby and i that haven't gotten it.  just want to know it's over!!   ::) :P
: Jade January 17, 2010, 05:21:59 PM
4myhoonie, I just wanted to say that we've recently had a stomach virus, and it was REALLY bad. Mostly because it lasted forever, and nothing helped it. Nothing. Not probiotics, not water kefir, not apple cider vinegar, not colostrum, etc. I even tried taking some pascalite clay after I was past the worst of it (during which time you could not IMAGINE trying to get anything down), and I can't honestly say that it seemed to make any difference.

This stomach virus really frustrated me, because in general, we can either entirely prevent getting sick, or get over it very quickly. I don't know what we're doing wrong, but we got SO sick, and it lasted and lasted and lasted. It was no fun.

I sure would like to find out what would have helped! Let me know if you find anything. Hope your family is well soon!
: 4myhoonie January 18, 2010, 11:53:06 AM
well, he still doesn't have his energy back, but yesterday i gave him 2 doses of one pill of dr. Schulze's #2, (benonite clay & activated charcoal) and he managed to keep done very small amounts.  not much appetite today either, just cheerios, crackers, etc.  and now he's got a cold/snotty nose.  anyway, i think the stuff helped, but i'd sure like to see him back to his usual self!  we are continuing to give supertonic and probiotics.
: born-an-okie January 18, 2010, 12:59:59 PM
We had a stomach bug that just wouldn't go away a few years ago.  The only thing that helped was to give enemas.  :P I don't know why, but emptying the lower digestive tract was the only thing that finally stopped the vomiting for my little kids.  Hope your boy gets back to normal soon!
: hi_itsgwen January 18, 2010, 02:31:39 PM
This is really *really* icky, but my sis had a violent stomach bug once as a teen.  She finally did an enema, and a clear jellyfish-ish substance passed...she thought it was a bacterial colony or something.  She got well quickly after that.
: 4myhoonie January 19, 2010, 04:20:36 AM
yikes, i'm not that brave, and i think hubby would have a fit!  i forgot to give him any charcoal/bennonite clay yesterday and he threw up again last night.  then hubby gave him clear diet pop, cuz we are afraid after this many days he's getting dehydrated.  then at 10:45 he vomited all of that.  he hadn't really eaten any supper, but had a few bites of chicken noodle soup for lunch (mostly just noodles). he did have the diarrhea twice yesterday too.  i just can't figure this thing out!  it's so frustrating!  thanks for the ideas anyway, i'm going to make sure he gets the charcoal/clay today and probiotics.
: healthybratt January 19, 2010, 04:43:19 AM
yikes, i'm not that brave, and i think hubby would have a fit!  i forgot to give him any charcoal/bennonite clay yesterday and he threw up again last night.  then hubby gave him clear diet pop, cuz we are afraid after this many days he's getting dehydrated.  then at 10:45 he vomited all of that.  he hadn't really eaten any supper, but had a few bites of chicken noodle soup for lunch (mostly just noodles). he did have the diarrhea twice yesterday too.  i just can't figure this thing out!  it's so frustrating!  thanks for the ideas anyway, i'm going to make sure he gets the charcoal/clay today and probiotics.
i think i'd rethink clay for this.  it can steal nutrients.  i've not had any experience using this for illness, but i know that while cleansing, it really depleted my stores.  the charcoal and some good probiotics would be my first choice.

a little patience is always good too.  natural medicine can only do so much for a sick body.  sometimes the illness just needs to run it's course and sometimes that takes a few days.

i'd keep some bananas and vitamin water around for when he feels like eating to restore electrolytes.  ginger, catnip, raspberry leaf and/or peppermint tea can help sooth tummy and replace nutrients as well.

oh, if he can handle the smell, a garlic poultice to the feet every few hours can help as well.
: 4myhoonie January 19, 2010, 04:46:20 AM
i think i'd rethink clay for this.  it can steal nutrients.  i've not had any experience using this for illness, but i know that while cleansing, it really depleted my stores.  the charcoal and some good probiotics would be my first choice.

bummer! it's the dr. Schulze's #2 and mixed together.  but i do have another thing to try.  Rikki just told me about using baking soda in water every few hours so am gonna give that a go! thanks!
: lotsagirls January 19, 2010, 05:09:39 AM
When I was pregnant with my last I had a stomach bug that would not go away.  This is what Floydian told me to do...Make some chicken soup...I put in lots of veggies, onions, garlic, and cayenne.  Put it through the blender so that there are no *chunks* in it.  I just ate little bits of that at a time for 2-3 days.  I took TTU along with digestive enzymes right before eating.  By the 2nd day I was feeling much better.
: 4myhoonie January 20, 2010, 07:55:26 AM
well, i did end up getting 1/2 tsp total into him yesterday, and so far so good.  granted, he only ate a few bites of PB sand. for supper.  he has had a great appetite today and is enjoying some 7-up which he never gets. not sure what will happen tonight.

i had made some chicken noodle like you described, though hadn't pureed it. he didn't have appetite enough to eat any.  i just finished it off--yum!  that's a great idea, will have to remember the puree thing! hope this is actually OVER!   :P :o
: healthybratt January 20, 2010, 09:18:05 AM
The chicken soup is probably not what healed you although the fats and vits kept you going.  The fasting allowed your body to heal itself.  The less digesting you must do, the more resources your body can afford to send to the other systems, especially the immune system.  That's why, I think it's not the most important thing to keep food down.
: hi_itsgwen January 20, 2010, 10:48:50 AM
I think, too, when you're dealing with a bacteria or bug in the digestive tract, that starving it out is helpful, as long as the person isn't hungry and is able to get enough fluids.
My Mom always made us do enemas for stomach bug situations, as she said it flushed out the colon where the germs colonized and helped you recouperate faster.
: momtogrif April 23, 2010, 03:37:28 AM
OK ladies, we have a miserable stomach virus here!  Ds started with it on Wed AM early and threw up 18 times and then had a few bouts of diarrhea.  Then yesterday dh and I started with it, both vomiting and diarrhea.  The diarrhea has been the worst for me.  I tried to take activated charcoal a few times yesterday but couldn't keep it down.  I still have stomach pains and ds threw up again in the middle of the night last night.  Dh is down for the count but he hasn't had any diarrhea or vomiting since yesterday evening.

What else can I do?  My stomach pains are sooooo bad and they start in as soon as I drink something.  I've managed to eat 1 saltine cracker, LOL!  My dh actually thought that maybe we had food poisoning from bad fruit or veggies like the strawberries we were eating but because ds started a day before us, I have a feeling it's just viral.

Thanks,

Bonnie
: healthybratt January 06, 2011, 06:50:33 AM
Question!  Four of my seven children have had diarhea for over a week.
This has been split and moved.

: bookgirl32 January 25, 2011, 05:59:58 PM
I've been reading all of these remedies and they're giving me some hope. I'm an emetaphobe (fear of vomiting) and I have a three year old son who gets the stomach flu at least once a year. It just makes me feel better to know that there's at least something I can try to keep myself from throwing up. Diarrhea I can handle just fine. And I can even handle it if I only throw up a couple of times. It's the eight hours of vomiting constantly that sends me into HUGE panic attacks and then I can't keep anit-anxiety medication down. My doctor has prescribed Phenergan but when I take that it seems to constipate me and then I feel like the virus can't get out of me at all.

So my question is, out of all these remedies, what's okay to take at the same time? I have Oscillo, Virastop, Tummy Tune Up and Dr. Schultze's Supertonic. I don't take any of them preventatively. Is it safe to take them all at the same time, or on the same day?

I take vitamin D3 in a liquid form, Dr. Schultze's Superfood, Culterelle and two teaspoons of elderberry juice concentrate in water w/ stevia sweetner every day for prevenative.

Thanks!