Remedies & Therapies => Medicinal Herbs & Oils => : wardermom October 04, 2006, 06:27:05 AM

: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: wardermom October 04, 2006, 06:27:05 AM
I made some plantain ointment the same way you make goot-in the blender with olive oil and coconut oil. I figured I'd try it and see how it turned out. It's good, except that I started to worry about the fact that I gathered the plantain from my backyard, and it was covered with dirt, etc. I washed it and dried it before I made it. Is there any danger of infection or tetnus etc. since it was dirty? I used it on a deep gouge in my son's finger, and then I started to worry about it and had him wash it off and used goot instead. I've used the plantain ointment on my two year old dd's diaper rash.
Anyway, do you think there's any danger in using it for wounds since most of my 7 kids are not "adequately" vaccinated.

Melanie
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: Clementine October 04, 2006, 06:35:40 AM
Since you washed and dried it first, it is probably quite safe.   :)
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: mexmarr October 04, 2006, 06:36:45 AM
Since you washed and dried it first, it is probably quite safe.   :)

That is my opinion, too
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: scarlet_prairie October 04, 2006, 08:48:56 AM
Interesting comments from Brian Johnston.Lightning and Tetanus.

During all of WWII, 12 cases of tetanus were reported by US forces. 33% were vaccinated. [and that was from a population that definately had it's share of dirty punture wounds i'd say]
-Edward Mortimer, "Immunization Against Infectious Diseases," Science, Volume 200, (May 26, 1978), p.905

In order to decrease severe reactions to the vaccine, it has been significantly "diluted," causing it to become clinically ineffective.
-Isaac Golden, PhD., Vaccination? A Review of the Risks and Alternarives, (Geelong, Vicotria, Australia: Arum Healing Centre, 1991), p.31.
-this comment was also made by Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.

From 1990 through 1995 there have been an average of 49.6 cases of tetanus per year in the United States. Compared to total population, that means approximately 1 in 5,198,200 people contract tetnaus. There is a 20% mortality rate for tetanus if properly treated. That means that approx 1 in 25,000,000 people will die of tetanus in any given year. About 1800 people per year are struck by lightning and there is a 25% morality rate for this event. 1 in 143,240 are struck by lightning and 1 in 573,000 die. This is a lot of numbers BUT:

You are 44 times more likely to die from lightning than from tetanus.

I thought you might find this interesting about tetanus...  ;) This was the one thing we were worried about and after reading some information on it, we quit worrying about it.
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: boysmama October 04, 2006, 10:28:44 AM
Since you washed and dried it first, it is probably quite safe.   :)
That is what I do/think! No problems yet.....
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: healthybratt October 04, 2006, 01:01:33 PM
a little dirt won't hurt.  ;)
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: wardermom October 05, 2006, 04:55:27 AM
I really appreciate your answers, thank you.
How long do you think it will be good made like that? It's in the fridge because the coconut oil has been liquidy otherwise. Will it be 2 weeks like goot?
I love goot by the way, and so do my kids. (I made my first batch last Thursday.) They keep asking for it, and they're not sick. I've been putting it on cuts.
They all learned to spell it yesterday when I explained why it was called that. Even my 4yo dd learned. She even learned how to write it!
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: healthybratt October 05, 2006, 08:42:56 AM
It's "goot" for you.  ;)
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: boysmama October 05, 2006, 08:58:18 AM
I have some in a jar that I have out in my barn. It's probably 2-3 weeks old. I can't remember.... It still seems to be fine. I am using it on one of our goats and figure on keeping it out there till it smells or looks "off". It has a little garlic in it which is quite strong by now, but otherwise it hasn't changed.....
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: Karen October 09, 2006, 05:47:15 PM
Okay would someone please tell me what goot is? ??? I googled and did find anything. :-\
: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: scarlet_prairie October 10, 2006, 01:46:36 AM

Took me a little bit to find the string... :) But here you go

: Re: Is my plantain ointment safe?
: Karen October 12, 2006, 02:00:24 AM