Health Products => Around the House => : Christal September 05, 2006, 03:23:20 PM

: What temp to wash clothes???
: Christal September 05, 2006, 03:23:20 PM
I was wondering what others opinions were on washing temps for laundry.  My mom washed everything in cold.  My MIL uses hot water sometimes but I can't figure out when and for what reasons.  Do I use cold for stains or hot?  Lately I have been washing diapers and other whites in hot, lights in warm and darks in cold.  Is this correct?
: amazonmama2five September 05, 2006, 03:53:11 PM
That is EXACTLY how my Mom does it.  ;)  I, on the other hand, use all cold having NO OTHER CHOICE.  ;D  I some times miss washing my whites in nice hot water, but over all I don't want to go back to the U.S. to live---just to visit.  8)  Over all, it is really just a preference, my Grandma washes everything in warm water.  Have fun!
Lisa
: Pennie September 05, 2006, 03:56:05 PM
I always do sheets and towels in hot, whites in warm and darks in cold.  :)
: healthybratt September 07, 2006, 08:29:18 AM
I wash everything in COLD.  This lessens fading, cloth deterioration and in my experience, hot water sets stains just like the dryer.
: boysmama September 07, 2006, 10:09:32 AM
I wash towels in HOT because I think it helps get rid of the bacteria that makes them stinky. Sunshine is good for getting the bacteria out to. Also GSC is essential in the homemade soap to get the stinky- rancid smell out.
I rinse diapers in cold then wash in warm or hot water and rinse again. Again I think that sunshine helps to get them smelling fresh as well as bleaching out any leftover stains.
I wash really filthy stuff warm because it seems to get cleaner that way.
All the rest I wash cold, especially clothes that I want to last a long time :D

I once spent time with a national family in another country. Whites got boiled :o, darks washed in warm and any jeans or stuff that  leached color got soaked in salt water overnight and then washed cold. All by hand of course ;D
 You just have to appreciate automatic washers even if they do wear our clothes out faster :P
: Christal September 07, 2006, 10:14:51 AM
Also GSC is essential in the homemade soap to get the stinky- rancid smell out.

What is GSC?
: Grace September 07, 2006, 11:17:32 AM
This is a good question! My husband and I have, uh, differing opinions on this! ;) He says I should wash everything on hot because it gets cleaner. I say hot water shrinks blue jeans. I speak from experience! When I was a kid, I would forget to change the washer from "hot" to "cold" when I would do laundry. (My mom washes diapers on hot). Anyways, I would always forget to change it and usually would wash a pair of my older sisters jeans. They would shrink and then they fit me. So sad! ;) I don't think she ever believed that it wasn't on purpose! Remember that sis?  ;D
: Maria/NHM September 07, 2006, 11:21:16 AM

You bet I do! Still haven't found another pair of jeans like those ;D
: ShabbyChic September 08, 2006, 12:02:47 PM
I also wash towels in hot, because they get stinky, and everything else in cold.  I also wash everything zipped, snapped, buttoned and inside out.  Except towels, of course :D
: boysmama September 09, 2006, 08:50:07 AM
Also GSC is essential in the homemade soap to get the stinky- rancid smell out.

What is GSC?
GSC is grapefruit seed crush (beeyoutiful) and essentially the same as GSE - grapefruit seed extract- which you can find at most health food stores ( for a higher price than GSC).

I think it is essential because it seems to help kill the bad bacteria that make that stinky smell. I am having great success with GSC all around in cleaning/disinfecting. It has worked well were even bleach was not successful- plastic diaper pail and trashcans. YEAH!
: Grace September 19, 2006, 01:53:48 PM
When I wash my clothes, in my front loader washer, when I take them out, even if I take them out right away, they stink. Any ideas???
: amazonmama2five September 19, 2006, 02:24:05 PM
Could you try baking soda?  That takes odors out.  I don't know about the front loader thing though, can you put b/s in a front loader?  It would be like soap powder, so I don't see why not.  Let us know.
Lisa
: Grace September 19, 2006, 02:27:07 PM
Lisa
I will try that. But I am wondering what is causing the problem in the first place???
: amazonmama2five September 19, 2006, 02:29:55 PM
I know you can run vinegar through a coffee maker to clean it.  So why couldn't you do a load of nothing and use several cups of vinegar and 1 cup of baking soda to see if that would "clean" the machine.  Just a thought.
: healthybratt September 19, 2006, 05:56:32 PM

IT MIGHT EXPLODE.  Front loaders are airtight and the vinegar and baking soda will cause a reaction that could actually cause the door to blow right off the front if I remember my science correctly.  One or the other, but not both.
: Grace September 19, 2006, 06:41:04 PM

Well now! My Husband might not like that! Thanks for all the tips and ideas!!!
: YoopreMama February 05, 2009, 08:33:21 AM
Just talked w/ an appliance guy I trust...interesting thoughts on this.

Cold apparently breaks down washers and clothes faster...clothes, machines were all designed for big cities and that "cold" water there is really room temp (we do not live in a big city).  He had so much to say on this that I can't retain it all.  ::)

He washes and rinses in warm.  Says that cold does not get the soap out (he uses a front loader--why I was calling to find out more).  They had skin and sinus issues that cleared up w/ cleaner clothes from washing in warm/warm AND using the front loader.  He did diapers, too, but washed those in hot.

He's done lots of research, so I'd encourage others to look, too.  (And post here, of course).    :D
: CountyCork February 05, 2009, 09:00:23 AM
I wash everything in warm.

Exceptions are:  handmade stuff or bright non-colorfast dyes might get washed in cold if label dictates.  Anything extra germy (sick beds, etc) might get washed in hot if it warrants.  If I have bad stains they'll get soaked in vinegar and cold water, but washed on warm.

My washing in warm only for the most part has helped with everything getting rinsed better and coming out nice.  I use homemade laundry soap.  I have a top loading machine.  I always put white vinegar in the rinse cup on the top of the agitator.