WellTellMe

Natural Health => Children's Health => : benthere-donethat November 08, 2008, 03:37:27 AM

: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: benthere-donethat November 08, 2008, 03:37:27 AM
My 8 year old son swallowed the silver metal ball from the Mouse Trap game last night.  I've read the thread about kids swallowing coins, etc, but I'm wondering if we should be concerned about it being made of lead or something that shouldn't be absorbed into his body.  We're waiting for it to pass; should we be worried about the metal?
Thanks...
: Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: Mrs. Visionary November 08, 2008, 03:52:11 AM
I don't know about the mousetrap ball. I have, however, heard of some deaths from swallowing the magnetic balls that are in the magnetic building sets. I do not know if the problem was toxicity or obstruction or some other factor. I would call poison control and/or the local ER.
: Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: benthere-donethat November 08, 2008, 04:12:20 AM
Those problems were from magnets sticking together in the child's stomach/digestive track.  This ball is not magnetic, so that shouldn't be the problem in this case.
: Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: hi_itsgwen November 08, 2008, 04:12:58 AM
I agree in calling, specifically for the issue of lead.  Perhaps, call the manufacturer first.  They would most likely know the make up of the ball.  

The deaths from magnetic stuff is from perforations to the bowel I think, so that wouldn't apply.
: Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: Julia November 08, 2008, 05:21:15 AM
Let me just say that I hate those little balls. They're such a safety hazard w/choking or swallowing but they roll under the couch so it's hard to keep track of them.

I would think using lead in the balls would be illegal but the Chinese toy manufacturers haven't showed much interest in following those laws.

Hopefully it will pass through his system soon, and you might look up "chelation, "bentonite clay," and "activated charcoal." All would, I believe, help to clean out any metals that might have gotten into his system.


: Re: My son swallowed the metal ball from Mouse Trap game...
: Mama Sita November 08, 2008, 06:35:40 AM
Hopefully, 'this, too, shall pass....'  ;)