Natural Health => Children's Health => In the Diaper => : LoveSunflowers March 11, 2008, 05:35:57 AM

: Diaper Covers
: LoveSunflowers March 11, 2008, 05:35:57 AM
I know we have a few thread on cloth diapers but I thought we could have one for just covers to make things a little easier where looking for information. I hope that is okay, HB!  :D

I use prefolds and have used Bummis's covers. I liked them quite a bit but I actually thought the Velcro was too strong because I ripped a couple of the laundry tabs off the diaper. :o But, the didn't stain and the mediums fit my son from about 3 months to 18 months. My guy is long and on the thinner side. The rise was getting to low for my liking so I just bought some Thirsties covers. Overall, I should be able to use these for a new baby but I will have to replace some of the velcro.
So, far after two weeks of use I like them a lot. They are thinner then the Bummis but I don't have leaks. The colors are so sweet and you don't have to pay extra for the them!! The have a double leg gusset and I like that feature a lot. My only problem is the ribbing is white and I am having trouble getting some of the stains out of it. I've only had them for two weeks. I am not too upset because diapers are what they are diapers and are made to hold poop. I have the large and from what I can tell they run bigger than Bummis. I shouldn't need new covers for Jonah unless he decided to stay in his diaper until he is 6! ;)

Those are my diaper cover reviews. I hope someone find this helpful because there are a lot of covers out there. :)
Jess
: dawehs March 11, 2008, 07:48:50 AM
Well, this is fun, because I have spent the last four days researching diaper covers!  I've been hunting for the best to use on my infant, due in June, and finally decided on the Thirsties covers.  I'm glad to hear that you like them.

I first wanted them because they are thin and cute, and wipeable. But it was the high rating over at diaperpin.com that sold me.  They rate the highest out of any cover.  The Bummi's seemed too bulky for my liking (I'm accustomed to Fuzzi Bunz, which are trim, but don't have any in the small size).

I thought these custom made ones were cute, also, and they rated among the best at diaperpin as well:

Wigglewormbottoms.com
: amandamook March 11, 2008, 07:55:37 AM
I love my Thirsties! They are great. The wipe clean interier is a great feature. I need very few covers. I have 2 and 1/2 children in diapers. The baby and toddler are in the full time and the 3 year old sleeps in them. They all were Thirsties size large! The large is a bit big for my 6 month old but he weighs 25 lbs so I hated to order a medium for him. My toddler is 27 lbs. She is much taller and thinner then baby boy but they also fit her great. The three year old is over 30 lbs and tall for her age. They fit her great for night time, although she doesn't like to wear them. She wears Happy Heiny's pull on cloth diaper. Check it out at www.nickidiapers.com.
: milmuth July 26, 2008, 02:20:51 PM
I use Thirsties covers- they are great!  I have a few others that weren't so good, a cheap one that I cannot remember the name of that ripped in the first washing.  I have one Bummis Super Wisper wrap that is ok, but with thinner/lanky kids like mine, the leg gussets are a great feature of the Thirsties covers!  I used CPF with a snappi inside, no leaks and no stains on the covers either.  Toddler and 1yr old both have been in them for 6months now (Toddler at night with an old version of thirsties fitted diaper, daytime we use training pants) baby full time.

One thing I read that concerns me on covers- some are PUL, some are not.  THe non-PUL ones are actually teflon coated cotton fibers.  If teflon is not good for our diet, how is it for our skin????  Just a weird question I've wondered.
: blondiegreen July 26, 2008, 07:12:08 PM
I just made a few pull-on fleece covers. They were easy and very fast to sew, and they look so cute!
Here's the link (Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern):
I know some of you WTM mommas can sew, and this pattern uses very little fabric. You can make them out of wool or even recycled wool sweaters. Give it a try!
: blsd2bhome July 27, 2008, 06:31:30 AM
Here's the link (Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern):

What is the difference between a diaper cover and a soaker?

thanks, I have used cloth diapers with 2 of my other children, but these are all new to me...I did it the old-fashioned way w/ vinyl pants!  I would love to start sewing my own in time for baby #5!
: blondiegreen July 27, 2008, 09:27:21 AM
Here's the link (Katrina's Sew Quick Soaker Pattern):

What is the difference between a diaper cover and a soaker?

I don't think there is anything different between a soaker and a cover. Soakers generally are made from wool, but can be sewn out of fleece too. Maybe soakers are the pull-up kind and covers are snap or velcro?
Anyhow, the link is for a pull-on diaper cover to go over fitted diapers.
: blsd2bhome July 27, 2008, 03:11:12 PM
Thanks blondiegreen, I also have another question.

Are the wool covers waterproof?  It seems to me that it would go right through the fabric.  I did look at the site for the soakers, and they look like a terry pant I used on my boys when they were potty training.

I would really like to start making something as a cover, so I hope someone can shed some light on this, that I find a bit confusing right now (and hard to tell some things from a web site, if they do not state it specifically)

Thanks!
: hi_itsgwen July 27, 2008, 03:16:35 PM
The soaker is actually the part that is supposed to get 'soaked'...also called the insert or the 'diaper' a lot of times.
The diaper cover is the outside layer that protects against leaks.  Wool is the most natural fiber, and it is 'water resistant'.  I haven't tried them, so I can't comment of effectiveness.  Most diaper covers are made from PLU, which is a poly-laminated fabric.  The fabric faces out, and the plastic faces in toward the soaker to keep it from soaking through. :)  The PLU was designed for medical use, and is washable.

Hope this helps!

Gwen
: blsd2bhome July 27, 2008, 03:23:26 PM

Hope this helps!

Gwen

It does help alot!  Thanks gwen!
: YoopreMama July 27, 2008, 05:24:48 PM
I use Chinese pre-folds.

I like the ProWraps w/ the double gussets, but they tangle up my wash load w/o that extra velcro to "close" them w/ for washing.  Never remember to velcro them inside out.  ::)

I didn't care for the Swaddlebees--the Velcro was too tough, I think.

Have lots of Bummis and they're OK.  I think they leak the most.  ???

Have to check out those Thirsties...
: luvmyfishies July 27, 2008, 08:16:28 PM
With the birth of my DS (in April) I decided to retry cloth diapers. I really wanted to stay with natural fibers. I had some BSWW from DD cloth diapering that I did not like because they had to be washed everytime. She also got alot of rashes I did not like that they were not breathable. So I found Katrinas soaker pattern. My mom and me searched the thrift stores and found some wool sweaters and set about sewing some up. I love wool!!! Would not go back!! They are so easy to care for. If they get wet you just hang them to dry. If they get poopy you spot wash them. I was afraid at first to go out in them but once I got the hang of them they are all we use! If you can knit or crochet there are alot of patterns on the web for soakers (look like undies), shorties (like little shorts), and longies (like pants). You can use your wool as pants and just pair them with a cute shirt. A few  note if you are going to try to make your own... Make sure to get a thinker knit sweater. You can "felt" them as much as you need. Just becarful not to make them to thick you cant sew them. You will need to lanolize them. the only time you need to wash them if the start to leak or smell. Have fun...I dont mind anwsering any questions you may have!! We even use wool at night and don't have any problems!! ;D
: Helpmeetmom July 28, 2008, 03:29:45 AM
Check these out!  Have you ever seen a cuter cd accessory?  We have the blue and brown puppy ones.  They don't leak at all!
Heidi
: RB July 28, 2008, 05:14:18 AM

Yea !!! For WOOL  covers!!!!  I just LOVE  using  wool for my baby and love knowing it's breathable and cooler,  especially during these hot summer days.  I have a nylon cover  to wear on baby whenever I'm washing her wool covers  and I notice that her bottom will feel all hot and sweaty inside that cover.   I can only imagine how uncomfortable that must feel.   :P  Last week one day I was wearing the nylon cover on her (wool washing day)  and noticed that she was kinda fussy, like she was uncomfortable or something.   Then it dawn on me that maybe she is hot with that cover on, as she isn't used to wearing it.   Sure enough her bottom was all  hot and sweaty, so I took it off and had only a prefold on her the rest of the day.   She seemed  greatly relieved and looked like this.   8)   ;D  :)   Anyways, I love to toot my horn about wool!!   ;D
: AnderMom August 05, 2008, 04:15:37 PM
So, my 5mo. baby boy is in cloth diapers.  I am very interested in trying wool covers (making them myself).  Few questions for those of you who love your wool covers:  How do the wool covers stand up to poopy diapers/poop blow-outs?  If your baby has a wool cover on can you still put clothing on top of them or will the clothing get wet?  I dress my son in onesies or rompers most of the time.  If I have him in wool covers will I prefer to have him in little t-shirts?  I made a fleece cover this afternoon and tried it on him.  When his diaper got wet (not soaked), it leaked through to his onesie, but the fleece cover felt dry!  I'm wondering if that's how it would be with a wool cover?!  I actually made a wool cover before he was born, but it was from a thinner wool sweater that I felted, but did not understand the lanolizing... so it leaked through and I never tried it again. Now, upon further reading ...=)... I realize what my problem was.  Thanks for any thoughts/ideas...  :)
: blsd2bhome August 05, 2008, 05:02:40 PM

I am also interested in any responses!
I am unsure of the "felting"  do you do it before, or after you make the cover?
I want to start as soon as possible making some, so that I am not trying to make some at the last minute (month)!

Thanks!
: smileyface August 06, 2008, 04:07:20 AM

I am also interested in any responses!
I am unsure of the "felting"  do you do it before, or after you make the cover?

Thanks!

I make wool covers for my daughter, and I love them! I will try to answer your questions.
As for holding up to poopy diapers/blowouts, it helps to have a good diaper on underneath the wool cover. That way you don't have to wash the wool cover. But the poop doesn't leak through the fabric, if that's what you are asking. If it does get poop on it, if it doesn't rinse off, you can put it through a gentle rinse cyle on the washer. Don't let it dry on though, then it's harder to get off.  :D
You can put clothes on over a wool cover, but if the diaper gets really soaked, it can wick through. If I use one of my wraps underneath her clothes, I just make sure to change her often. I prefer tshirts to onesies, since onesies tend to be somewhat tight against the cover, and sometimes you can get compression leaking. Wool works better than fleece, though.
I felt the sweater before I cut it. Same if I'm using wool yardage. If you felt after you make the cover, it shrinks a lot and will get misshapen.
A few other notes. If you are making covers from sweaters, there are different kinds of wool that work better. You don't want the scratchy wool, of course. Most sweaters that say wool, and don't list the type, are too scratchy, and shetland wool is usually too scratchy. Lambswool is usually very soft, and one of the thicker types. You can usually make the cover from one layer of this. Cashmere is super soft, I love it! But you might need to make the cover a double layer. My favorite cover is made out of two layers of cashmere, they are the pull on shorties type. And they work great for overnight. Merino wool works great also, but is thin like cashmere. So usually two layers are best. Angora is actually rabbits hair, but works like wool. It is usually blended with wool, and is really soft. You want to look for sweaters that are at least 70% wool, with no cotton in them. The higher the wool content, the better. Longies are the easiest to make, you just sew the arms together, and add a waistband. There are lots of websites with great instructions. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to help. If this is the wrong thread to discuss this subject, you can PM me also.  :)
: AnderMom August 06, 2008, 05:10:41 AM
Thanks for the info... very helpful!  The wool sweater I picked up at a yard sale to try... I'm afraid may be too scratchy from your description.  I just felted it =/, so maybe I'll try making a diaper bag out of it instead.  Question on the wool longies.... you said just sew the sleeves together and add a waistband?  Sounds easy but I can't quite picture how that would work.  I'll try searching for instructions on-line.  Now, I'm going to have to look for different wool sweaters.  I could knit some covers, but don't feel like I have the time for that right now. Any particulars on types of wool material when going straight from yardage instead of sweaters.  I hope diaper covers thread is an okay place to discuss making them... I'm knew here so I don't really know. =)
: YoopreMama November 12, 2008, 04:10:45 PM
Can you all list some favorite sites for buying diaper covers, please?  I need to make an order...I saw www.diapers.com and www.softclothbunz.com...any others?  TIA!
: mrs_zog November 12, 2008, 05:29:34 PM
Not a website, but an idea and phone number: About 2 1/2 to 3 years ago I ordered some Pro-Wrap seconds from the manufacturer for either $3 or $3.50 each, I don't remember which, plus shipping which I remember being next to nothing because they are so light. Of the three I ordered, one I could find nothing wrong with, one had a splice in the velcro across the front, and on the third, one side of the velcro on one of the tabs was not sewn down. Being seconds, you might not be able to choose colors, but you could always take fabric markers to them. :-)

I remember that their Prefold prices were also very reasonable.

Their website seems not to exist anymore, but I found a phone number for them online: 1(800)397-8594 and just called(after hours) to make sure it was right. They are located in Vancouver, WA and are open 10-2 PST. The company is called "ProServices" and/or "ProDiaper."

HTH!
: YoopreMama November 12, 2008, 05:47:44 PM
THANK YOU!   :-*

I like ProWraps, and will call tomorrow!!!!   ;D
: YoopreMama November 14, 2008, 08:55:09 AM
I just talked w/ the nicest lady there, and ordered 5 large (24-35 lbs.) covers for $5.25 each.  She ships on M and W, and with priority mail ($6), I think it's a great deal.

She is close to getting the web site revamped:  www.prodiaper.net, I think.

Thanks again!  :-*

Their website seems not to exist anymore, but I found a phone number for them online: 1 (800) 397-8594 and just called (after hours) to make sure it was right. They are located in Vancouver, WA and are open 10-2 PST. The company is called "ProServices" and/or "ProDiaper."
: 809 November 14, 2008, 05:56:17 PM

mrs_zog, I just read your post...what an even better deal!!!  Thanks for sharing that with us!   :)
: 809 November 14, 2008, 06:05:19 PM
(some of this is posted in the "Cloth Diapering a Newborn for the 1st Time" thread, but I realized it should be over here...I think....sorry, new to posting on here, so I hope this was ok... ??? :-\)

Hi.  This may need to be a new thread....?
I was wondering if any of you wool-users hand wash more than 1 cover at a time?  I want to wash mine together, but don't want to have one lacking in lanolin.  Ex:  I was thinking of putting 2 wool covers in my kitchen sink...will the lanolin spread evenly to both covers?  Or should I do them seperately?
I always wash more than one cover. I usually wait until I have a sinkful (3-4), then wash them all together. I've never had a problem. As long as the lanolin is thoroughly mixed, I don't think there would be a problem. If I'm washing a lot of covers, I do add a little extra lanolin. Hope that helps.  :)
Thank you.  I have 8 covers for my babies, and washed 2 seperately today, but will do the others together.  It is so easy!!  Wish I had known about wool sooner; I wouldn't have bothered with PUL, or anything else!   :D

Also,  what do you use to wash your covers?  I was told it was ok to use baby shampoo (which I did), but wonder about the chemicals & not rinsing them (was told I didn't need to rinse).  Is this true?  I know of commercial cleaners, such as Eucalan, but wondered if anyone uses any ordinary things from around their house??  Or...what do you use?
Thanks everyone for all of the help!  What a great site we have here!

: mrs_zog November 14, 2008, 07:34:22 PM
THANK YOU!   :-*

mrs_zog, I just read your post...what an even better deal!!!  Thanks for sharing that with us!   :)

You're very welcome! I'm glad I could help.
: YoopreMama November 15, 2008, 01:58:39 AM
Yooper, www.babycottenbottoms.com is a really great site! I love it, and the owner is really, super nice.  They are usually prompt when answering any questions you may have.  And a great bonus:  they only charge $5 per order for shipping...no matter how much you purchase!!!!  LOVE it!    ;D...
Welcome aboard, 809!  :)

I do like that site, thanks for the link!  Is it supposed to be www.babycottonbottoms.com?

If this is helpful, here's a post on washing wool from a thread on lanolizing wool:
: smileyface November 15, 2008, 03:05:10 AM

Hi.  This may need to be a new thread....?

Thanks everyone for all of the help!  What a great site we have here!

For soap, I use either baby soap (I use a natural baby soap, so I"m not worried about chemicals), or sometimes I use castille soap. I just mix the lanolin with that, along with essential oils. I do like the wool wash that I order sometimes from northernessence.com, it smells really good!
: 809 November 15, 2008, 05:08:33 PM

Yes...sorry about that.  Thanks for catching my mistake.

[/quote]
Thank you.  I have read that before (have been around here for about 1 year, just have never posted before).    ::)  8)

I don't know what a conditioner would be/is (do you mean shampoo plus conditioner; sorry, I know, I probably sound totally blonde)...but I could use a castile soap too....would just a few shavings work, do you think, per "load" of covers?

: 809 November 16, 2008, 06:30:16 PM

Welcome aboard, 809!  :)  Thanks, Yooper

: blsd2bhome January 26, 2009, 08:59:00 AM
OK all you creative ladies out there...I need some help!!
I had someone give me about 20 brand new diaper covers!  they have PLU on the outside and are cotton terry on the inside, the snaps are good, and they are in all colors~I was very excited to get these!

However, they have one problem.  Around the gathered leg area and the back, the inside and outside are just sewn together, there is no wrapping of the plu to discourage leaking from the inside of the diaper KWIM?

Anyone have any ideas of how to make these leakproof?  A waterproof binding?  buying plu and making my own binding/edging?

If you would like a picture, I can try to get one posted, just don't have one right now.

I may have asked this before, but I could not find it and cannot remember the answer!  I do suffer from pg brain!

Thanks!!
: born-an-okie January 26, 2009, 12:11:02 PM
You could buy some fold over elastic to sew around those areas.  If there is already elastic there then it might be too much though.  A picture might help.  You might try them and see if they leak, it may be that they fit tight enough to not leak.  ???
: LavenderMom March 22, 2009, 09:05:50 AM
Hey, I am actually giving away a $20 gift certificate towards cloth diapers and covers on my blog right now.  I use all kinds of cloth diapers and covers based on what is most economical...how much more economical can you get than free?  The gift certificate is for a little shop I found on Etsy.  I love the diapers and the wool covers.  Barely anybody has entered yet so you have a great chance of winning.  www.farmsteadorganics.blogspot.com
: AnnaBanana September 21, 2009, 07:18:39 PM
I have two favorite covers.  For a pull on, I am hooked on SweetKnits' beautiful knitted soakers.  For a standard snap on cover, I love my own design.  For obvious reasons, right?  I mean, I made it exactly to my preferences!  LOLOL!!!
Ones I dislike are any covers with velcro, and I don't like Dappis because of the silly netting inside.
: thanksmama November 29, 2009, 07:46:17 PM
I would suggest to Proraps diaper covers.They are inexpensive and durable.
Find them at www.thanksmama.com (http://www.thanksmama.com). They have the best prices here http://www.thanksmama.com/Prorap_Classic_Diaper_Covers_p/pro-001.htm (http://www.thanksmama.com/Prorap_Classic_Diaper_Covers_p/pro-001.htm)
: born-an-okie February 01, 2010, 03:59:24 PM
Do any of you that crochet or knit your own diaper covers ever use combination wool and bamboo yarn, or just 100% wool.  I know that the bamboo/wool yarn is fairly new, but bamboo has many of the same properties that wool has.  Would it keep a wool cover from shrinking/felting?  Are there any drawbacks to using this particular combination of wool?  I am a fairly new crocheter, so I don't really know and I want to make my own wool covers.  I am concerned that 100% wool would end up being felted since I am not always the one doing the laundry!
: bettarcamping February 02, 2010, 11:11:30 AM
I have never used that kind of yarn so I can't say for certain, but bamboo is super absorbant, that's why it makes great diapers. I wouldn't think it would make a great cover, even if you lanolized it well. It is possible that it could stop the wool from felting much, but I can't be certain on that either. If you can't find someone else who has used I'd say the best thing would be to crochet a small square (but not too small!) lanolize and test it. See if it wicks any water...and then get real rough with it and see if it felts.  I know there are people who have used superwash wool and it's worked well, but need a lot of lanolin. You might try making some fleece covers if you sew. You can find some info on the web by searching it. There is an excellent yahoo group called wool_soaker_group that has tons of info about knitting/crocheting covers and what different yarns have worked and what haven't. It'd be a great place to start :)