Remedies & Therapies => Alternate Modalities => : Lovn my boys January 07, 2008, 04:24:59 PM

: Anyone know a good, free homeschool forum?
: Lovn my boys January 07, 2008, 04:24:59 PM
I'm at an impasse in my homeschool (ds9,6,&4) and would really like to find a good forum to glean from and bounce ideas off of.  I used to go to the Sonlight forums, which were wonderful, but I stopped going when they started charging a fee.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Luvnmyboys

: Whiterock January 07, 2008, 04:58:24 PM
There's a homeschool section on the 7xSunday forum.
WR
: ForeverGirl January 07, 2008, 07:00:47 PM
[Gabe here...]

Can you tell us all of what you are looking for? We own the domain name, "homeschool.cc" and are looking to develop it after we amp up WTM in the next few months.

If you have a wish list, we'd love to read it!

--gabe
: floydian January 08, 2008, 03:50:34 AM
Reviews of material.

Calendar of events that mihgt interest homeschooling families,

Link to HSLDA

Buy/sell/trade materials

Section that has good places on line to buy materials including musical instraments.

Q & A

Articles from moms who have gone before what worked what didn't work so well etc.

News relating to homeschooling.

Great field trip ideas according to regions.

Is that enough?  I can come up with more. ;D  Basically I want a WTM for homeschooling.
: Whiterock January 08, 2008, 04:08:30 AM
It seems wherever homeschoolers congregate, they ask two questions "What curriculum do you use?" and "What's your schedule look like?" So, sections for that would be good.

And a section for free or on-line books and lesson plans! I'm finding that there are enough on-line books to cover just about any subject.

WR
: littlemama24 January 08, 2008, 04:09:59 AM
sections categorized by age groups of the students would be nice too.  ya' know - preschool/kindergarten, 1-3rd grade, 4-6th grade etc, etc.

;D
: floydian January 08, 2008, 04:12:21 AM
If Whiterock comes up with the logo for it, I'll buy a T-shirt. ;)
: Whiterock January 08, 2008, 04:14:56 AM
If Whiterock comes up with the logo for it, I'll buy a T-shirt. ;)
:D  Thank you. (Your check's in the mail) ;D
: floydian January 08, 2008, 04:16:58 AM
If Whiterock comes up with the logo for it, I'll buy a T-shirt. ;)
:D  Thank you. (Your check's in the mail) ;D

I'll use it to buy a T-shirt. ;)
: homeschooling madre January 08, 2008, 05:47:32 AM
Links to the sites for each of the state's official home school site.  For instance, if I'm thinking of moving to another state, I want to look up their rules/regs and available support groups and I have to do a google search.  You could have them all in one place.

A list of the links to known local home school support groups, arranged by states.

Links to lots of different curriculum sale sites (this could be income for you!)

Links to home school friendly attorneys for each state.
: joyful_mommy03 January 08, 2008, 08:04:20 AM

Thanks!
Luvnmyboys

I use the ACE curriculum and went to yahoo groups and searched for ace and homeschool.  I found a great one!  Maybe if you go there and type in what curriculum(s) you are using or what area of the country you are in along with the word "homeschool" - maybe you could find what you are looking for.

The rest of the responses already covered what I was thinking as far as a new forum!  I can't wait to see it!
: CountyCork January 08, 2008, 08:40:08 AM
Gabe/Beka -
Have a section for "just getting started" folks, moderated by veterans.
A section for veterans needing new enthusiasm.
A "winter doldrums, spark my interest" section.
A "how to talk to neighbors/grandma/friends" about homeschooling.
A "balancing spiritual/academic/physical/creative/life skills endeavors"

Those are where I am at right now!

Maybe some legal stuff?
Testing?
High school/college?

Our state (MN) has an excellent newsletter, convention, support group network, etc.  But some of us are NOT joiners and don't have time or inclination to go to meetings.  I personally cannot stand sitting around with a bunch of women - so often nothing gets accomplished and it is just talk.  An online forum like WTM and 7x would be excellent.

Keep "pushy opinions" to a minimum like you do on the other forums.  Just advice, encoruagement, direction and chat.

Looking forward to seeing it get up there and happening!
: SarahK January 08, 2008, 09:11:02 AM
Special needs - potentially divided into need varieties ?
: HeyMom January 08, 2008, 09:14:31 AM
this is just an awesome thought and will be exciting to see it come to fruition....

there are already many great ideas already listed...

special needs areas....for instance my 10 dd is deaf in one ear and hearing impaired in the other....so different ideas for different situations

info with help regarding high school is very important - this is a real stumbling block when your kids get to this age (was for me anyway ::))

all types of "free" things, from forms, websites, notebooking pages, on-line mini books, etc.

and definite help in how to get started

info on how larger families organize and school, tips and help

I'll keep thinkin....

: healthybratt January 08, 2008, 09:19:26 AM
A place to upload/download and share worksheets to avoid the need to buy workbooks.
: joychild24seven January 08, 2008, 10:47:22 AM
Stories from now adults who have grown up homeschooled and what they view worked/didn't work...

(I would be one of those adults  ;D )
: ShannaC January 08, 2008, 10:52:27 AM
Oooo! I like this idea!  My son is just turning 3 but I am starting to gear up and collect ideas. This would be wonderful!
Shanna
: lovingmomof2 January 08, 2008, 11:41:21 AM
I agree with all these ideas, but one that I didn't see mentioned that is important to me is keeping it fun, interesting and challenging enough for the children AND the parents.
: CountyCork January 08, 2008, 11:50:37 AM
FUN!  That's a good idea!
Also, if there are "subject" divisions, then people could post favorite science experiments, educational videos, books, art projects.
There could be a place for art contests, maybe?
Oh, boy, don't get me started . . .
: littlemama24 January 08, 2008, 12:43:11 PM
FUN!  That's a good idea!
There could be a place for art contests, maybe?
Oh, boy, don't get me started . . .

Fun?? What's that? What are you talking about?  We're HOMESCHOOLERS!  We aren't supposed to have FUN!!

lol ;D ;)
: rebekahgrif January 08, 2008, 01:02:25 PM
how to keep a 2 year old occupied while attempting to teach their siblings.  Potty training said child while schooling.
: Nickole January 13, 2008, 05:21:25 PM
www.amblesideonline.com is a "free" curriculum.  I put "free" in quotes, b/c it is beneficial to do some reading on methods (but that is free too, just a lot to read but good stuff) and there are many links to print out the books for free (most of them anyway), and you can even just do the pages for each days reading.  I personally just have to have a real live book in my hands so I buy all the books, but it's a great resource for those who do not mind printing books.  And I do print out the poetry and have printed out Shakespeare stories and some fables, so I suppose I have used the free printing here and there.   :)  Even if you do not want to follow the reading schedule you can still print out many many books from that site.
: pljammie January 13, 2008, 05:31:18 PM
This isn't a forum, but www.homeschoolestore.com has various units that you can download.  Many are for sale, but if you do a search for "free" you will find that they offer MANY.

Mystery of History has a free yahoo group forum as does the Exploring Creation science series.  I'm also a member of the Ambleside group.

Blessings,
Mrs. P
: kper January 14, 2008, 04:51:46 AM
Maybe have a place just for homeschool group leaders to support each other. I know there are other places out there, but this would be for like-minded indivduals... those who use WTM, of course!
: natural January 14, 2008, 04:55:54 AM

you could go here to make your own crossword puzzles, word finds, etc. then share them with all of us
: Whiterock January 14, 2008, 09:52:52 AM
Another free curriculum is Old Fashioned Education (http://oldfashionededucation.com/fullcurriculum.htm). And they have a Yahoo group for support, resource exchange, questions, etc.

WR
: Nickole January 14, 2008, 09:55:40 AM
Oh, Ambleside also has yahoo groups galore, so I just wanted to mention that.  There is a yahoo group for each year I think, a general group, a picture study group, and probably more.
: Lovn my boys January 17, 2008, 06:10:41 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions on homeschool forums.  I'm still wading through looking for something that 'fits.'

I use a hodge podge of curriculum, though I loosely follow Sonlight on Bible, geography and read alouds.  As we started school again, I realized that we weren't just having winter doldrums, but that school really is boring.  Alas, I'm in search of some way to liven it up.  I need 'hands-on' yet have no idea how to make that happen on a continual basis.   ???

I love the many ideas posted for the hs site.  Cant wait til it's up and running!

Thanks again!!

Lovn my boys
: healthybratt January 18, 2008, 04:13:06 AM
A place to get used or sample tests for the CAT, ITBS, etc.  Links to find these tests to order and laws by state on how to administer said tests when necessary.
: Deb February 13, 2008, 05:19:30 PM
This sounds great!! All the ideas for free, low cost curriculum are great. Keeping kids interested, not bored or burnt out. Older kids studies.Special needs cause most sites don't have a lot on that. I think I'm just repeating what others have said so I'll just agree with all of the above! By the way , a couple years back Beka asked for folks to send in their best homeschooling tips(No Greater Joy mag), for a book compiling them all. I had totally forgotten about it. Is that still forthcoming? Hint hint! Actually I doubt Beka has the time, but wondered. This forum would be great for tips like that.
: Ruby October 22, 2008, 06:25:54 PM
Does anyone here use Ambleside?  I am planning to start it as soon as I can even though it's part way through the year for us.  What we are doing now just isn't working and I need a brand new approach.  If you use this, could you please tell me how it's going & the pros & cons for your homeschool.  Thanks!
: healthyinOhio October 23, 2008, 02:10:56 AM
Does anyone here use Ambleside?

There are quite a few options to read here:

Just type in Ambleside in the search option and quite a few hits come up.  HTH!
: Leat October 23, 2008, 03:24:45 AM

: Mrs. B October 23, 2008, 03:50:31 AM
We started off with The WellTrained Mind, but over the years I started integrating ambleside into our daily routine.
I tend to get a bit 'intense' with things and TWTM was very rigorous and my kids needed a bit of a break after a couple of years.
I did ambleside for about a year, and really enjoyed it.  I have just recently gone back to TWTM as I needed a bit more structure than ambleside provided (if that makes any sense at all).  Basically I really appreciate the ideals of classical education, but we needed a break and ambleside was a nice fit.
There are alot of yahoo ambleside groups  (amblesideonline) available including a main group and ambleramble and other year specific groups.
I think that ambleside is a great, thorough curriculum with alot of free resources.  I still pull alot of the resources they offer for our school now.
The cool thing about homeschooling to me is that you can change what you are doing if it doesn't work, and then if you want, you can go back to it later.
: InEverything October 23, 2008, 06:55:57 AM

I am considering trying Ambleside next school year.  The reason it may be a good fit for my family is that we lead a very busy lifestyle ( fun and adventurous too)!!  I don't do well with a teacher's manual because I end up feeling guilty about all of the stuff I didn't do. :-[ :P
With Ambleside I can follow the suggestions and fit in what I can.  I love the book lists!
I'll let you know if I do it!