Author Topic: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep  (Read 33708 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 02:59:41 AM »
I think what I was referring to is the Salt Chlorinator--from what I see it is spendy at first....Does anyone have any experience here?

Has anyone ever heard of a water ozonator as another option for keeping the pool clean? WIth either the ozonator or the salt chlorinator, I wonder if animals and mosquitos would gravitate?

Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 02:06:22 PM »
bump
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline 1ofeach

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 03:59:55 PM »
I don't know if it would work for a pool, but check out the jaccuzi info here. Nutriteam site

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 10:54:42 AM »
I think what I was referring to is the Salt Chlorinator--from what I see it is spendy at first....Does anyone have any experience here?

Has anyone ever heard of a water ozonator as another option for keeping the pool clean? WIth either the ozonator or the salt chlorinator, I wonder if animals and mosquitos would gravitate?

Sandra
Mosquitos like still water.  I think if you have a pump that keeps the water moving, it should be virtually mosquito free.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »

Sandra

From what I understand a salt chlorinator is just another way to produce chlorine- not the best option in my opinion.  What type of pool are you considering- a plastic one, an inground? 

We have an above ground (10,000 gallon) pool that came with our house.  We just put an ionizer on the end of last season.  It seemed to be working fine.  The water looked beautiful...aside from the leaves, etc...the water was crystal clear.  I still had to dump in a gallon of bleach every week.  It isn't stabalized chlorine so it would just evaporate out by the next time we used the pool.  If we get an ozonator too we won't need the bleach...but that was out of our price range at the time.  But ozonators are great and are very beneficial healthwise... it increases the oxygen in your body.

I didn't notice any more bugs than normal with the ionizer.   
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:07:22 PM by seekingtruth »

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »
how much are the parts for an ionizer and ozonator? Can a handy man install them or is this something a pool expert has to do?

We are moving with 4 weeks adn the home we are purchasing has a 20X40 inground pool! I am nervous about having that big pool to take care of not to mention I still have 3 little ones that cant swim

We were considering changing it over to salt, but after finding out how it works I am not sure it is any better.

The pool has a liner. The family has not used the pool in SIX years. It had been filled and covered all that time..EWWW

The pool store told me NOT to drain it. Instead they said to shock it,etc. Then after the water is properly balanced consider other options.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this. If we have to spend money right upfront fot upkeep, Id rather spend more if that is what it takes to make it  a healthier pool
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2008, 06:29:43 PM »
My husband just installed our ionizer into the return water line to the pool.  It didn't seem very difficult.  I am pretty sure that the systems are fairly simple to install.  I would definitely recommend looking into them, especially if you are going to need to do stuff anyway.  The systems are more initially, but they don't require the huge amount of money required for chemicals that are bad for you anyway!  So I think it is worth the investment.  We will have to replace the coil every few years for our ionizer, but I believe it is different with ozonators.  We just didn't have the money!

Tammy

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2008, 07:05:17 PM »
I've looked into all this stuff for a number of reasons (one of them actually being keeping a pool clean) and found that the salt chlorinators are awesome! Voice of experience speaks. Really nice to swim in and quite effective. I didn't buy one, but swam in two pools that used them... liked them a lot. ebay "salt chlorinator" $150+

You just need to add salt to the pool water and the ionizer in the filter line... The ionizer temporarily ionizes the chloride molecule and creates chlorine... then it reverts to salt so there is never a lot of chlorine in the water.

As for ozonators, these look very promising too... (see other thread on "oxygen baths"). Here is a site that has some cheap ones: http://www.spaguts.com/Ozonators.aspx

I think you still need to chlorinate a very little bit with ozonators.

--gabe
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2008, 01:50:18 AM »
thank you all for your in put.

the size of our pool which will be above ground) is like 4 ft high by 12 feet wide---something like that.

loys to consider...would animals and bugs be more drawn to the ozonzted pool? snce it is healing? We are in the country with deer , racooons, and such....

Do you think the pump will keep all larvea from hatching?

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2008, 02:35:56 AM »
Has anyone actually had experience with an ozonator? It looks like it just REDUCES the need for Chlorine. Maybe the best thing would be to use both a salt chlorinator and the ozonator--spendy though.

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2008, 02:53:55 AM »
For a little pool, I would probably just get a small ionizer and dump some bleach in every week.  The ionizer does most of the work and the bleach is just a weekly shock that just evaporates out quickly.  It would be cheaper than the other options it would seem. 

And I don't normally use bleach but it does just evaporate out of the water. 

Tammy

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2008, 02:34:57 AM »
Thanks I will consider this

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2008, 03:22:32 AM »
I am not sure of what the price would be on something like this, but a friend of ours converted his pool to a salt water pool.  I think he only adds water softener salt to it and it stays blue and sparkly without chlorine.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2008, 06:44:52 AM »
I am not sure of what the price would be on something like this, but a friend of ours converted his pool to a salt water pool.  I think he only adds water softener salt to it and it stays blue and sparkly without chlorine.
Swimming in soft water is like swimming in clouds.  It's totally awesome, I might look into this.  Should be relatively inexpensive for a wading pool.  Thanks for the idea.

Do you think you could ask you friend for more exact details:  amount of salt per gallon of water?  How big is his pool?  Does he have problems with mosquitos or other larvae?  Does he also have a pump or is the water still?  I'd be very interested to hear more.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »
bump, I would like to know too

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2008, 01:29:07 PM »
I am so glad you posted that about the salt  Gabe! I was wondering how that worked with the chlorine molecules,etc. I was leery of it,but we swam salt water pools several times last summer and it was great. It is especially nice one the eyes. No more red eyes.

I asked a pool company here the price of the equipment- 1400 dollars! I could nt believe that. A friend told me that they bought all they needed for about 800. So i guess it is worth it to shop around and price it. My bil said it was easy to install and it saved him 800 dollars by doing it himself.

Anyone heard of bioguard "soft swim"- the NON chlroinating pool care program?? I got a flyer in the mail for it.

this is what is says:

The simple, gentle pool care program

A complete non- chlorinating system of pool mantenance that makes water beautifully clear

Makes water feel soft to to the skin, eyes and hair

All products are liquid for easy application

Also another Bio guard product only for salt pools:

Mineral Springs:

Mineral Springs is a proprietary mineral blend that keeps water healthy and makes it feel and look great 

proprietary blend of minerals that are added to pool water at startup and then replenished weekly

use beginnings at startup for silky, brilliant water that wont irritate eyes,skin or hair

Apply Renewal weekly to replace lost minerals quickly and easily

I also did some online research for stuff and found a com. called ecopure. It sounds great but $$. I got a sales rep to email me back and it will cost either 4300 or 2200 (aprox.) depending on which size I need. They also have a cheaper one for small above ground pools. I cant remember how it works but something to do with copper and ions, ozone,etc. .... I am getting very confused.....

Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
I will ask my friend about it and see what info he has to pass along!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2008, 04:23:11 PM »

Anything you have to share yet  ;D I am still searching for a healthy and non-expensive, bug free alternative to chlorine.  ;D anyone else have some suggestions?

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2008, 09:38:09 AM »

ANy word yet, we are about to purchase a pool and I just can't make up my mind...this is a big investment for us an dI would like some testimonies about what you have used to maintain pool naturally (ora as much as possible)

Thx!BuNCHES
SAndra

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2008, 09:45:44 AM »
I've looked into all this stuff for a number of reasons (one of them actually being keeping a pool clean) and found that the salt chlorinators are awesome! Voice of experience speaks. Really nice to swim in and quite effective. I didn't buy one, but swam in two pools that used them... liked them a lot. ebay "salt chlorinator" $150+

You just need to add salt to the pool water and the ionizer in the filter line... The ionizer temporarily ionizes the chloride molecule and creates chlorine... then it reverts to salt so there is never a lot of chlorine in the water.

As for ozonators, these look very promising too... (see other thread on "oxygen baths"). Here is a site that has some cheap ones: http://www.spaguts.com/Ozonators.aspx

--gabe

I called the number which that link led me to and they only sell parts for hot tubs...anyone else have good experiences with another company that sells ozonators?

SAndra
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 09:47:19 AM by natural »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2008, 11:03:48 AM »
Any word from your friend?  I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2008, 05:04:49 AM »

Me too..my kids are asking on a daily basis, and I just don't know what to invest in yet.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 05:09:42 AM by natural »

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2008, 03:00:31 AM »

Me too..my kids are asking on a daily basis, and I just don't know what to invest in yet.

Bump

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2008, 03:59:32 AM »
Hubby is not sure, but he estimated you'd need about 1 gal of salt per 10 gallons of water for 10% salinity.  He's no expert, just making an educated guess, but he thinks this would keep the skeeters and the moss/algae out unless you've got seawater algae in your yard.  ;D

We thought that water softener salt, although not as healthy as sea salt would most likely produce the same results.

MMMMMM...swimming in soft water is like swimming in a cloud. :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
Just wanted to throw my observations out there in case it helps anyone.  Our friends have a salt water pool, and I have noticed that often there will be lots of birds drinking and taking baths in the pool.  The pool water cascades from one level to another, and they stand on the ledge.  Its like a big bird bath to them.  I've also noticed stray/wild cats will come and get a drink.  I don't know how they can drink salt water, but they definitely do.  This also leaves a mess on the ledge of bird droppings, which I'm not real thrilled about.  But we also swim in the ocean, and who knows whats all in there!!  :P
  We are going to be taking care of the pool for them soon, so we will be learning how to do it.  I'll keep you posted.
mauimom

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2008, 10:51:48 AM »
--gabe

It's my understanding that this is true.

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2008, 02:52:24 AM »
Just wanted to throw my observations out there in case it helps anyone.  Our friends have a salt water pool, and I have noticed that often there will be lots of birds drinking and taking baths in the pool.  The pool water cascades from one level to another, and they stand on the ledge.  Its like a big bird bath to them.  I've also noticed stray/wild cats will come and get a drink.  I don't know how they can drink salt water, but they definitely do.  This also leaves a mess on the ledge of bird droppings, which I'm not real thrilled about.  But we also swim in the ocean, and who knows whats all in there!!  :P
  We are going to be taking care of the pool for them soon, so we will be learning how to do it.  I'll keep you posted.
mauimom

Hummm seems like a catch-22...chlorine is not safe for animals so they may stay out of the pool...oh the other hand, if chlorine is not safe for animals, it is prob not safe for us.

Ahhhh this is a bit frustrating, also  because it has not warmed up enough to even think about putting in the pool yet,,, :-[
I am open to any other suggestions.

One other element here, we have a water softner and my daughter's skin get irritated every once in a while (maybe when it cycles or something)...but she doesn't seem to mind the chlorine.

As much as I hate to say it we will probably will have to opt for chlorine???

Offline SamsGirl

• Proverbs 3:5&6
  • Adept
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2008, 06:35:39 AM »
just wondering if there is an answer yet.....or if someone else has been experimenting with it and the results!

thanks!
my earthly walk focuses on following Jesus, wife to Samuel, momma to Adela Grace and one more on the way

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2008, 09:21:07 AM »
just wondering if there is an answer yet.....or if someone else has been experimenting with it and the results!

thanks!

What are you wanting an answer to?  We are taking care of a salt-water pool for some friends, so I might be able to help.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30:17 AM »
Mercola has recommended Baquacil in the past.  We have used it in a small above-ground pool with good results.  I also added baking soda to adjust the pH, and we ran the filter a lot.  We also cleaned the filter pretty frequently with a strong jet of water (rather than replace it).

You have to get Baquacil at a pool store.  Kind of pricey, too.