Author Topic: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep  (Read 27683 times)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
Re: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck without using chemicals?  We have a hot tub that we haven't used yet because of the chemical issue.  We plan to fill it in 2 weeks and not use the heater so that the kids can cool off in it.  What should I do to keep the water healthy?  ~L

Hi petrimama,
We used to have an in ground pool in Ohio but our kids were allergic to the chlorine.  So we researched and decided to use the Bacquacil system.  The base is hydrogen peroxide along with some other things.  The first year it worked wonders.  The water was so crystal  clear and it also made it softer.  It also took care of the allergy in the kids.  The second year we used it with not so much success.  But I think we would try it again if we had the need for it.  It takes some learning on your part and it is more expensive than the chlorine.  Over here the new thing in pools is salt water pools.  I don't know much about it but the salt water pools I have seen are very clear without the strong chlorine smell. 
HTH
Mauimom

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 09:51:51 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck without using chemicals?  We have a hot tub that we haven't used yet because of the chemical issue.  We plan to fill it in 2 weeks and not use the heater so that the kids can cool off in it.  What should I do to keep the water healthy?  ~L

My hubby recently talked to someone who mentioned that they use salt in their pool. We want to try that this summer as hubby thought it made sense. I have no idea what kind, how much or how often they used it, but I'll ask hubby and let you know if we find out.

Offline Mom2FourBlessings

• Adept
  • East TN mountains are our backyard.
    • Kiser Ridge Farm
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but I know on the big 12lb bags of baking soda you can buy at sams they have directions for using it in pools and even tell you how much to add and such based on the water's ph levels and how much water you have..

HTH

Mom2FourBlessings
Daughter of God, helpmeet to Joshua, mommy to four so far.. :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
As far as kiddy pools I have a $5 book called Grapefruit Seed Extract. It gives amounts of GSE to use in pools but my book is packed & I can't look it up. I don't know if it would work but it might be worth trying- it is a potent anti bacterial & anti mold so it should prevent algae. Just an idea.

DH used to install & repair spas. (hot tubs) There is a product line called Eco One that has both a spa/hot tub line & a pool care line. DH has used the spa/hot tub line & really likes it. I have been in both spas that used the standard chemicals & the fumes made me sick & in spas treated with Eco One & they didn't bother me at all.

The spa/hot tub line is enzyme based & the pool line is copper ion based. With either one you do have to use shock occasionally but not near as often as with any other treatment system. I was just looking at the Eco One web site & they are coming out with a new shock that comes in packets for spas so you never have to touch the chemical that looks good. Since it's new DH doesn't have any experience with it but based on Eco One's philosophy it is probably less toxic than most shocks. It is supposed to be available on May 15, 2007.

When Eco One spa/hot tub line 1st came out the manufacture recommended using vinegar & baking soda to adjust the PH but the FDA made them change to "approved spa chemicals". DH has seen spas maintained this way & it did work but as a spa tech he cannot "officially" recommend it.

Here is a link for Eco One:

Eco One

One creative customer of DH's used several silver dollars in his filter compartment to replace the silver ions normally used in certain spa care systems. Again, as a spa tech DH can't officially recommend it but it did work. Ions are not used with Eco One but some spa care systems use them.     

Hi petrimama,
We used to have an in ground pool in Ohio but our kids were allergic to the chlorine.  So we researched and decided to use the Bacquacil system.  The base is hydrogen peroxide along with some other things.  The first year it worked wonders.  The water was so crystal  clear and it also made it softer.  It also took care of the allergy in the kids.  The second year we used it with not so much success.  But I think we would try it again if we had the need for it.  It takes some learning on your part and it is more expensive than the chlorine.  Over here the new thing in pools is salt water pools.  I don't know much about it but the salt water pools I have seen are very clear without the strong chlorine smell. 
HTH
Mauimom

I just asked DH & he said that when you heat hydrogen peroxide it breaks down the glue used on the plumbing fittings & breaks down the filter(s). Unless the spa/hot tub manufacturer specifically recommends hydrogen peroxide using it will void the warranty.

Petri Mama- if you are not going to use the heater then check with the manufacturer of what ever treatments you use to find out if you should use spa/hot tub chemicals or pool chemicals. Spa/hot tub chemicals & pool chemicals are designed to be used at different temperatures & that may effect which one you should use.

Just so everyone one knows, salt water systems require extra care & not all glues & filters used in spas/hot tubs & pools are compatible with it. Be sure to research before starting to use it. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 05:58:04 PM by herbalmom »

16goingon17

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
Hey, 16goingon17's younger sister Bethany here.

Well, we have a blowup 12' long, 30" deep pool. It was growing algae, so we let out the water but did not clean it until about 2 weeks later. When we did clean it and set it up we put baking soda in, AND IT WORKED!!! ;D  I would suggest it to clean the water and to use it instead of bleach  :o. Have a nice, cool summer!! 8) Thank you welltellme!

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »
Does anyone else have the amount of GSE:water for kiddie pools?

Hey, 16goingon17's younger sister Bethany here.

Well, we have a blowup 12' long, 30" deep pool. It was growing algae, so we let out the water but did not clean it until about 2 weeks later. When we did clean it and set it up we put baking soda in, AND IT WORKED!!! ;D  I would suggest it to clean the water and to use it instead of bleach  :o. Have a nice, cool summer!! 8) Thank you welltellme!

How much baking soda did you put for the amount of water?

16goingon17

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »

How much baking soda did you put for the amount of water?
[/quote]

We have a 15,000 gallon pool, and I add about 2 cups every week. We are still experimenting though.

Offline PreachersWife

• Learning
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »
Like mauimom, I have heard that a lot of people are now going to salt water systems in their pools.  Of course, if you currently have a chlorine system, a lot of things have to be changed out, and that can get pretty expensive.  But they say that the system pays for itself very quickly b/c it is so much cheaper to maintain...not to mention the health benefits!

Don't know exactly how that would relate to hot tubs, though.  ???  But whenever I get my "dream house" with a great big in-ground pool  ;D  I'll be looking into the salt water thing.  Until then, I guess maybe I'll try salt water in the kiddie pool...if we ever get it back out.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 08:44:07 AM »
Anybody know the amounts to use for GSE in pools?

What about salt water in kiddie pools? Would something like the Dead Sea Salts work?

Offline ttallman20

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 06:05:41 AM »
Any idea how to repell mosquito larvae in child's pool?  Our pool is pretty big (like 5X6), so it's really hard to dump it out every week, refill, wait for it to warm up, etc.       Is there a way to keep the water clean longer?  I do add about 3/4 cup of bleach, but they don't seem to mind that!  Thanks!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 02:26:35 AM »
Any idea how to repell mosquito larvae in child's pool?  Our pool is pretty big (like 5X6), so it's really hard to dump it out every week, refill, wait for it to warm up, etc.       Is there a way to keep the water clean longer?  I do add about 3/4 cup of bleach, but they don't seem to mind that!  Thanks!

I'd try covering it with a tarp or such before evening each day.   ~L

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:37 AM »
I recently swam in a salt water pool.
It was great! They said it's easier to maintain than chlorine and (I think)  chemical free.
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2007, 04:02:50 AM »
HELP us out! Somebody assist in info. on salt treatment (no harsh chemicals) in outdoor hot tub.  8) 
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2007, 04:24:34 AM »
I think you have to have a certain type of lining in the pool...or the salt will erode it.
Research it and let us know!  :)
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

cecac

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2007, 05:30:58 AM »
Hey Becky,

We just got a 30,000 gallon soft side pool.  I would like to try baking soda.  So, I guess I would put in 4 cups.

How's it going with yours?

Thanks,
Cara

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2007, 07:06:27 AM »
HELP us out! Somebody assist in info. on salt treatment (no harsh chemicals) in outdoor hot tub.  8) 
I did a quick search and found that the salt treatment for pools actually creates its own chlorine. I found this particular article to be a good summary of pool treatments:
http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/resources/content/may_jun07/chlorinemean
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2007, 07:12:05 AM »
Check out these cool sites for natural swimming pools/ponds:
http://www.totalhabitat.com/P&P.html
http://www.gartenart.co.uk/
http://www.swimming-teich.com/english/prinzip_private.html
The last site has a nice illustration where you can mouse over the individual components for greater detail.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »
It would be great to have a natural pool, but our house already had a standard one when we bought it.  I am not crazy about skimming it, but it does help to keep it covered and I don't stress if it isn't "perfect" as long as their isn't any bugs floating around and my dd's aren't picky.

As far as alternatives to chemicals, we put an ionizer on our pool about a month ago and so far so good.  I just have to shock with a gallon of bleach once a week.  The chlorine in the bleach isn't stabalized and so it evaporates out of the water in 24 hours.  I really shopped around and was able to find a nice one for 200.00.  It uses copper, zinc, and I believe nickel ions to clean the water.  And the electrode will need to be replaced every 3-4 years for 100.00.  Cheaper than many other options. 

Tammy

16goingon17

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
Hey Becky,

We just got a 30,000 gallon soft side pool.  I would like to try baking soda.  So, I guess I would put in 4 cups.

How's it going with yours?

Thanks,
Cara
Hey Cara,

I would say to add 4 cups of b/s, and to use a pool filter to clean the water. We get our pool water from our pond that has no chemical added, so that, I think, makes a difference. I would try 4 cups and if that is too much try 1/2  cup less. Also add the b/s every 5 days to a week, and if you don't want to buy a filter every 2 weeks, wash it out every week or so to clean out the debris.

We cleaned out our pool about 2 weeks ago and have not put in b/s or filtered it and it's growing algae already.

I hope it works out great for you!

Becky Rochelle's sister, Bethany

cecac

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:17 PM »
Thank you Becky,

We have well water, so I bet we can do the same thing as you are doing and hopefully come up with the same results.

We have been using chlorine pellets, just removing them when the kids swim.  I will have my son take them out tomorrow and put in the 4 cups of baking soda.  We may put the chlorine back in every so often for a day or so, just for upkeep.  I hope this works!!

Blessings,
Cara

16goingon17

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2007, 04:26:19 PM »
Thank you Becky
By the way, all the posts on this thread are by my little sister, Bethany.
Except this one, I'm Becky. :D

cecac

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2007, 01:52:21 AM »
Oh, I apologize.  I'm a bit dull sometimes, she hinted at that in an earlier post.

SO  thank you, Bethany!!

Cara

Offline Bethany Ann

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2007, 05:48:25 PM »
I will now be posting as Bethany Ann instead of using Becky Rochelle's account since I now am a WTM member. :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2007, 05:58:12 AM »
As a courtesy to the member who started this thread and those participating in the conversation, please attempt to stay on topic as much as possible.

If the conversation triggers a new subject of interest, please search the forum for a more appropriate thread for the discussion.

Nice to Meet You: Member Introductions

When one cannot be found, start a new one.

If you'd like to have a more personal conversation that would otherwise derail the topic, please take advantage of your ability as a forum member to send personal messages.

Thanks.

~hb
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:13:50 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Bethany Ann

• Learning
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Oops... sorry HB  :-[. I'll try to keep that talk to those threads.

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2007, 03:44:09 PM »
We were given a Jacuzzi for free if we would pick it up! So we did that! :P Are there any Hot Tub/ Jacuzzi owners "in the know" for treating the water more naturally with the baking soda/ etc...or what? Chlorine ugh! We are now needing to treat the almost 500 gallons of water in the Jacuzzi. Today, we got it set up, wired in, filled up and heating - hooray!!  :D         
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2007, 06:00:03 PM »
We were given a Jacuzzi for free if we would pick it up! So we did that! :P Are there any Hot Tub/ Jacuzzi owners "in the know" for treating the water more naturally with the baking soda/ etc...or what? Chlorine ugh! We are now needing to treat the almost 500 gallons of water in the Jacuzzi. Today, we got it set up, wired in, filled up and heating - hooray!!  :D

Read my post earlier in the thread. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »
Thank you so much Herbalmom! Somehow I flew past your post... :D
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 07:46:14 AM »
Thank you so much Herbalmom! Somehow I flew past your post... :D

Your welcome. Eco One is a good system for spas. I think you will be happy with it. It's what we are using if we get a spa & I am VERY chemically sensitive. Glad I could help. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 02:45:53 AM »
We are contemplating a pool for the kids this summer....I heard about a salt pump,,,anyone heard of this?

4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.