Author Topic: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep  (Read 27561 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:38:09 AM »
I bought a 5 ft plastic baby pool at a garage sale.  I'm getting ready to fill it up for the babies to play in.  I have in the past, used bleach to keep the algae and moss from gooing up the bottom of the pool, but I'm concerned about the chlorine causing more problems than it solves, so...

What else can I put in the water that will keep the green sludge from growing in the bottom of the pool so I don't have to put new water in every day?  (and how much would I need).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ALittleMore

• Adept
Re: Natural Alternatives for Swimming Pool Upkeep
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:57:43 AM »
Hydrogen Peroxide and Tea Tree.

;)

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »
We too need a good solution so would love to hear amounts and how often, etc.
~B

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
I bought a 5 ft plastic baby pool at a garage sale.  I'm getting ready to fill it up for the babies to play in.  I have in the past, used bleach to keep the algae and moss from gooing up the bottom of the pool, but I'm concerned about the chlorine causing more problems than it solves, so...

What else can I put in the water that will keep the green sludge from growing in the bottom of the pool so I don't have to put new water in every day?  (and how much would I need).

I am absolutely amazed that you just asked that question.  I have an easy set pool HA. Easy to set easy to keep clean NOT! It's like you need some sort of degree.  I just emptied mine all out.  12 across and 3 ft tall.  It was a beautiful bright green.  I have been told metals, phosphates....but after cleaning it I am convinced algae.  so Will peroxide and tea tree keep it clear and clean?  I dont want to have to do this again til it's time to put it away.  And chlorine atleast in my experience doesn't keep algae from growing.  :-\

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:11:50 AM »
Hmmmm....what about salt or vinegar, maybe ???

hee hee, my kids will be pickled.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 09:15:48 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:14:06 AM »

I am absolutely amazed that you just asked that question.  I have an easy set pool HA. Easy to set easy to keep clean NOT! It's like you need some sort of degree.  I just emptied mine all out.  12 across and 3 ft tall.  It was a beautiful bright green.  I have been told metals, phosphates....but after cleaning it I am convinced algae.  so Will peroxide and tea tree keep it clear and clean?  I dont want to have to do this again til it's time to put it away.  And chlorine atleast in my experience doesn't keep algae from growing.  :-\

According to google, peroxide won't work. 

35% Technical Grade Hydrogen Peroxide and Hot Tubs & Swimming Pools

Some dissolved substances, particularly iron and organics will use up the hydrogen peroxide rapidly making the treatment of large volume of water with H2O2 (swimming pools) cost prohibitive. This problem can be usually solved by installing additional ozone generator which works very well in conjunction with H2O2. However, vast majority of hot tub owners are dealing with volume of water in range of 500-800 gallons and as such, they will not experience problems usually related to swimming pool applications. If you are unsure of the mineral content of your water, try the hydrogen peroxide and test the concentration frequently. Hydrogen Peroxide will not control Algae in your hot tub. To reduce the possibility of algae contamination, keep the tub covered when it is not in use and add water only from a chlorinated water source. Should an Algae bloom occur shock with chlorine or an Algae control chemical recommended by your hot tub supplier. When Algae is under control return to using hydrogen peroxide...more
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 06:25:18 PM »
I did some searching and found that hydrochloric acid is used to kill algae.  Algae does not like acid, so I think I'm going to try some vinegar.  It's cool right now, but when it warms up again, I'll let you know how it goes.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to try alkaline (baking soda) instead.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 01:03:33 PM »
I crumbled.  I put chorline in the water because I found mosquitoe larvae in the pool - GROSS!  However, I was out there today and I noticed my daughter playing with a couple of green walnuts that fell of the tree in the pool.  It then occurred to me that many plants are poisoned by the chemicals found in the hulls and the actual tree/leaves.  I wonder if I just let a few walnuts float around in the pool if that would keep the algae from growing.  I don't think it will do anything to stop the mosiqutoes though.  I wish I could get some tansey and then maybe I'd just grow it all the way around the pool. 

Any thoughts?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:11:23 PM »
Did anyone find anything out on this? My husband battlling it now! Asked me if he could just pour straight bleach in there or vinegar or something!  He doesn't want to head out to walmart if he doesn't have to!  :D don't blame him.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »
Hey Kittyninja,
We use a chemical called barilla to keep the Ph neutral in our pool.  Algae loves our South American climate!  This is the only thing we have found to keep the algae at bay.  It is made of European saltwort or rather an impure sodium carbonate made from the ashes of the saltwort.  So, I don't know but I'm thinking this is better than bacteria infested algae ??? but then again..........maybe not ::)  Anyway, that is what the MAN uses in the pool and it keeps the water sparkling.  We have a big pool 20'X35' so every once in a while he also puts sulfuric acid and chlorine in--------OUCH!  But the skin and bacterial infections in a third world country can escalate SO fast because of the tremendous amount of dust and dirt in the air.  So, I have given my worries to God and my MAN keeps the pool nice and clean for the kiddos and I to play in together! 8)
Have a great day!
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 12:58:01 PM »
Thanks amazonmama2five!!
  And i just wanted to tell you that my mom and her family are from Chile so if you ever want to head a little west look up the Peroldos they could sure use some Jesus! ;) I think it's a different language over there though am i right?
Sandra

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 01:02:26 PM »
Did anyone find anything out on this? My husband battlling it now! Asked me if he could just pour straight bleach in there or vinegar or something!  He doesn't want to head out to walmart if he doesn't have to!  :D don't blame him.

When I said chlorine, I meant bleach.  I used about 1/2 cup for a medium size baby pool (about 12 inches deep and 3.5 feet across).
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 01:06:02 PM »
YES, Brasil is the only country in South America to speak Portuguese or Pork and Cheese as my kids call it. :D  I have always wanted to go to Chile----THEY GET SNOW!!!  Although when we do travel it is usually to the U.S. to visit my family and our supporting churches.  My In-laws and all of my husband's siblings are here. ;)  I married into a missionary family BIG TIME!  
Anyway, nice to be able to give a tip, and I really LIKE this forum.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2006, 01:12:05 PM »
rather an impure sodium carbonate made from the ashes of the saltwort.

Sodium carbonate is the same thing as the Arm & Hammer Washing Soda listed in the homemade detergent thread.  I wonder if this is safe for skin.  It's a water softener.

It doesn't appear so.  CLICK HERE., but it makes me wonder about the baking soda or maybe salt.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2006, 06:53:36 AM »
On the big box of baking soda that you buy in the laundry isle it says on the box ph in pools,so I would try www.arm&hammer.com they have other cleaning uses alsoon that site.
Also look at GSE as a possibility, it is more $$$ but at least it's not chemicals.
and I second vinegar.
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 06:17:54 AM »
Hey Girls!
I tried baking soda in the pool instead of barilla and IT WORKED!!!  We are using that now instead and I can tell a difference in that the family doesn't have red eye quite as bad.  As I said  before we have a rather large pool, so we use one pound once a week and it seems to be working fine!  Hope you all have a great day.
Lisa
My Intro
Visit our site!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 06:52:19 AM »
Hey Girls!
I tried baking soda in the pool instead of barilla and IT WORKED!!!  We are using that now instead and I can tell a difference in that the family doesn't have red eye quite as bad.  As I said  before we have a rather large pool, so we use one pound once a week and it seems to be working fine!  Hope you all have a great day.
Lisa

Whooopeee!  I'm excited now.  I can fix up the kiddie pool once more, but now it's a rainy week and we'll have to wait a bit longer.  Do you know if the baking soda will keep the mosquitos from laying eggs in the water?  Eeeeeeeew.  :P

Also, my kiddie pool is only about 50 gallons (guessing here), so I think maybe a cup or less ???  I do have a pH kit somewhere, what pH am I shooting for?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 07:45:12 AM »
ok i have a small kiddie pool for our big dog to drink from and cool off in. it grows algae in it even when we change the water out everyday. think it would be ok to add baking soda to it if he's drinking it? i mean i know it's edible but for a dog to ingest it? anyone know?

also i was told that putting vinegar in the dog water keeps mosquitoes away from it and him-don't know if you wanna dump gallons of vinegar in your pool though.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 11:16:40 AM »
ok i have a small kiddie pool for our big dog to drink from and cool off in. it grows algae in it even when we change the water out everyday. think it would be ok to add baking soda to it if he's drinking it? i mean i know it's edible but for a dog to ingest it? anyone know?

also i was told that putting vinegar in the dog water keeps mosquitoes away from it and him-don't know if you wanna dump gallons of vinegar in your pool though.

well if I put baking soda in it for the algae and vinegar in it for the mosquitos, they can play in the jacuzzi instead of the pool.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:49 AM »
 :D

Offline blessedby5

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 02:14:43 PM »
Check out poolforum.com or poolsolutions.com and check out the swimming pool tips.  It's not all natural pool care but it works and saves some money.  He recommends bleach, borax, and baking soda.  Bleach is the same thing they sell in the pool stores but not as strong.  borax will raise the ph and baking soda raises the alkalinity.  I've tried to get around using the bleach and just ended up spending lots of money on stuff that didn't work for me.  We have an 18,000 gallon pool so I'm not sure about the kiddie pools.  I took care of algae in the big pool with lots of bleach and keeping the pump running.

I will sing unto the Lord, because he hath dealt bountifully with me.  Psalm 13:6

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2006, 09:11:23 PM »
It's not all natural pool care but it works and saves some money.  He recommends bleach, borax, and baking soda.

Before I stopped using bleach in most of my cleaning, I found a recipe for bleach, borax and baking soda for cleaning appliances.  It works great for that!   
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
Supposedly the pH is supposed be at least 7.5.  Mine is over 8.  Baking soda won't help as far as I can tell.  My chlorine level coming out of the tap is also over the recommended for pools  :o unless my kit isn't working properly.  I find this hard to believe because I have a nose for chlorine and I can't smell it in my water, but I can in MIL's water.   :P and I can definately smell it in the public pool.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 04:43:44 AM »
I was reading out this lady's website about her chlorine free pool!  She  mentioned a conditioner she used (safe & Natural of course) to keep scum out of the pool.  Since we had this thread, I thought I would pass on the information!

Here is her article:
http://www.debraslist.com/athome/athome.php?id=30

and here is the link to where the conditioner is sold:
http://www.gobeyondorganic.com/kw/water/chlorinefreewater.html
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline catholicmom

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 05:09:04 PM »
I keep the same water in our pool all summer.  It's probably about a 250 gallon pool.  I use chlorine bleach every other day.  The sun makes it evaporate which is why you must keep adding it.  I use the pool test strips that are sold at wal mart.  I wait until my children are done swimming and then I add the bleach.  The next day when they are ready to swim some of the chlorine has already gone away. 

This is how much I add: glug, glug, glug :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 08:01:17 AM »
I keep the same water in our pool all summer.  It's probably about a 250 gallon pool.  I use chlorine bleach every other day.  The sun makes it evaporate which is why you must keep adding it.  I use the pool test strips that are sold at wal mart.  I wait until my children are done swimming and then I add the bleach.  The next day when they are ready to swim some of the chlorine has already gone away. 

This is how much I add: glug, glug, glug :)

This is what I have done in the past, but chlorine kills beneficial bacteria which live in and on the body, so I'm trying to avoid it.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 10:11:34 AM »
Well, I have good news and bad news sort of.  :D  I emailed the TKO people and they said if you have a big pool it wouldn't really be cost effective to use but that is would work and is safe.  She said if you have a kiddie pool a couple of oz. she did say it would affect the clarity.  (the stronger it is the whiter the water)  I did email her back and say I have a relatively small pool 1700 gal. but it does have the filter so I am waiting to see what she says. I guess it just depends how badly you don't want to use chlorine.  I did soak my filter in some b/c I can't find them new and I know there is some acid stuff my sister told me about that you can soak it in to keep from buying a new one so I figured why not the oil. Seemed to work okay. 

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »
k, well, she said that if you already use chemicals that she would remcommend continuing that b/c there is a reason they use them, but she said if you don't use anything for instance the kiddie pool that that sure wouldn't hurt.  She said even in one my size would be fine but she wouldn't know how much so.....for what it's worth I thought I would share. 

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 05:19:59 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck without using chemicals?  We have a hot tub that we haven't used yet because of the chemical issue.  We plan to fill it in 2 weeks and not use the heater so that the kids can cool off in it.  What should I do to keep the water healthy?  ~L

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 07:21:39 AM »
Hi,

We had an inground pool growing up, and we used chlorine for years. Unless you dump the water out after each use, you will have algae. Water will grow algae unless treated with chemicals. Even our pool, with pump and filter running would grow green stuff without the chlorine.You MIGHT, find that you could use GSE...but that would take a lot, and cost way more than chemicals. I have used it in animals water dishes, and it does cut down on the algae growth.
Happyhomemaker :)