Author Topic: Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 11946 times)

Offline dara

• Master
Re: Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2006, 09:00:59 AM »
I don't like to use fresh garlic on my kids because of the burn thing. I use garlic oil on their feet or chest instead of a poltice. (An onion poltice for a bad cough is good on their chests though, and more gentle than garlic.)

Here is the recipe from 10 Essential Herbs:  Mince 1/2 cup of garlic and add 1/2 cup olive oil. Let steep for 10 days (you can start using it after 1 hour). On day 10, strain the garlic solids out (you can cook with them if you want) and refridgerate the remaining oil. Good up to 6 months in the fridge. Warm gently before using.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2006, 10:38:56 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info, dara. That is one herb book I don't have, but sounds like I should get it. ~B

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 06:54:54 AM »
Fresh crushed Garlic is usually preferred since the Allicin molecule (created in the crushing) only has about a 5 minute life span. This is not to say that Garlic oil will not work... but it is better fresh as well.

We lightly crush a couple Garlic cloves, peal the skins off, then we put the pealed cloves on a paper towel. We fold the paper towel over the garlic and crush them with the bottom of a jar or a pan or something once they are in the paper towel. Then we run water as hot as it comes out of the tap into a cup and dip the paper towel with garlic in the water. Squeeze lightly, and apply directly to the chest, feet or back.

It can and will burn (as has been mentioned) so depending on the strength of the Garlic and sensitivity of the skin I leave it on for between 45 and 90 seconds.

I then "re-dip" the pad in hot water and re-apply to another surface... then I toss the pad in the trash.

Warning: take out the garbage! Old Garlic pads will make your house smell awful!

--gabe

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 08:14:38 AM »
How many times a day do you do this with your sick children? And do you continue to do it day after day until their symptoms disappear?

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »
I don't know a whole lot on the subject either, but my nine year old had a nasty nail infection about a month ago. I put some garlic and gauze on it and let him take it off when he complained that it was burning. The next day that infection was GONE! That stuff is incredible.

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 02:07:26 PM »
Any advice on how to soothe a garlic burn?  :-\  I reused a poultice on myself that I had just used on my daughter.  Guess the napkin tore.  I only held it there for a count of 30.  Both my neck and chest are red but no big blisters.  :'(  At least my daughters are fine.  I will use 2 napkins next time.
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2006, 09:17:36 AM »
Can you reuse a poultice? For instance, I made a mullein poultice with vinegar for my sons throat but can I warm it again and reuse it?  I did once but I dont' want to keep adding warm vinegar and if I can reuse it if I were to warm it in the microwave would that zap any benefit from it?  I am trying to desperately to get him well w/o a dr visit.  I think maybe we are.  He had no fever last time I checked and I THINK the tonsil has gone down some. sure wish I already had my tune up.

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 04:03:47 AM »
I just did my first poultice on my 2 daughters, (no. 3 will get it when she wakes up).. I've had it with colds and snotty noses! How often should I repeat this?

Offline Kymdenise

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 02:22:20 PM »
Bump (only becuase the question I asked was asked by someone else awhile ago with still no response..)

Offline MommabyHisgrace

• Adept
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2007, 03:43:54 PM »
I am not an expert on this, but personally I use the poultice for a few days after the symptoms disappear.  In the past I stopped when the symptoms did and then within a few weeks we'd be right back where we started.  Honestly, don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I'd rather be "safe than sorry"! :)

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2007, 04:05:30 AM »
I currently have 4 kids who I have been doing the garlic poutice on 3 times a day for, this will be my 3rd day.  They have had a cold for literally 5 weeks, deep congested lungs, probably a sinus infection (self-diagnosis).  One child has croup, had to bring him in to get a steriod shot.  He has down syndrome so he can go from fine to respiratory  stridor really fast - he just doesn't play by the rules  :D Anyways, my question is when can I see a considerable improvement with this?  How long do I do this before determining whether I should bring them to the dr.'s or not?   Is 3 times a day adequate?  I bought a bunch of fresh garlic and have food processed it wrapped it in paper towels put hot water on it, squeezed it out.  Held it on the chest and both feet for 90 seconds.  I don't make a big batch, I do it each time.    I do have a large onion on hand, but no hot water bottle? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 06:37:23 AM »
I currently have 4 kids who I have been doing the garlic poutice on 3 times a day for, this will be my 3rd day.  They have had a cold for literally 5 weeks, deep congested lungs, probably a sinus infection (self-diagnosis).  One child has croup, had to bring him in to get a steriod shot.  He has down syndrome so he can go from fine to respiratory  stridor really fast - he just doesn't play by the rules  :D Anyways, my question is when can I see a considerable improvement with this?  How long do I do this before determining whether I should bring them to the dr.'s or not?   Is 3 times a day adequate?  I bought a bunch of fresh garlic and have food processed it wrapped it in paper towels put hot water on it, squeezed it out.  Held it on the chest and both feet for 90 seconds.  I don't make a big batch, I do it each time.    I do have a large onion on hand, but no hot water bottle? 
Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
Sinus Infections: Causes & Cures
Fevers
Ear Aches & Infections: Causes & Cures
Plugged Ears: Remedies for Ear Congestion
Bronchitis
Croup
Whooping Cough/Pertussis: Diagnosis & Treatments
The Flu
GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
My favorite way to take garlic is....