Author Topic: Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 11909 times)

Offline still*learning

• Adept
Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:51:06 PM »
I am sure you can see the excitement in my subject!  ;D

I am a mom to two kids who get sick ALL the time! My husband and I have rationalized that it is genetics - we both had asthma and still have allergies and both were very sick ourselves when we were young.

The reason I am here is to try and buck this trend with our children and turn to natural health for answers since the traditional methods have not worked.

I came to this site via NGJ and have read Rebekah's many articles on the wonders of garlic but had never used garlic personally for medicinal reasons. My 9 month old son came down with a cold last week - runny nose and low grade fever. I made a garlic poultice for him and could not believe the difference within hours! The fever was gone and his mood was much improved. I did this three times a day for three days. By day two he just had a slight runny nose and day three it was completely gone! This is a record for us!

I know many here are garlic lovers but for those of you that are new to this don't hesitate like I did. What was I waiting for?!!

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
  • Isaiah 12:2
Re: Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 01:41:50 AM »
Can you use garlic for earaches?  My ( 2 year old)
 daughter said her ear hurt yesterday and I put some colloidal silver in it.  Someone let me know if I can use garlic from the store, I am planting it this year for the first time.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:38:35 AM »
Hello laurenvc,

Can I ask what you did with the poultice? Did you rub it on his chest? Put it on the feet? Just curious.
We have used garlic + olive oil very successfully in our kids' ears for years. It has knocked out many a earrache. What I like to do is use a small glass bowl, like a custard dish (can't think of the real name for it right now), put some olive oil in the bowl, and set that in a pan of warm water. Heat gently until the oil is just warm, not too hot. Then I take fresh garlic, mince it up as fine as I can and put it in the oil. Using the butt of the knife, I smash the garlic pieces in the oil to get out all the beneficial oils and juices from the garlic.

Now I know that I have read to strain the garlic out, but we don't. I just use an eyedropper to carefully pull up the oil and put it into the ear. Massage to release the bubbles and have the child lie there for about 15 min or so, then I put a wad of cotton in there. Good to go.

Your kids will smell like little Italians for a day or so, but hey, it sure beats a trip to the Dr. and antibiotics. I like to do this at least twice a day, especially before bedtime. Seems to work good overnight.

Hope this helps somebody!

Mama Sita
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:57:52 AM »
I second the garlic oil for an earache.  I've used that many times with my daughter and it worked so well!  Also, I've only used store-bought garlic as I don't have any homegrown.  I believe it works very well even though it is store-bought.  Garlic is a wonderful gift from God! ;D
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 02:59:31 AM »
hi SarahM--i have successfully used store bought garlic pressed into olive oil and strained, (after a very short time) warmed (i set the dish of oil in hot water for a few min.) i put a few drops in my baby's ear for a suspected infection and only did this for 2 days and no sign of it left!  he is my first baby never to have an antibiotic!   ;D  i have also done the poultice on him.  i followed rebeka's directions from the NGJ website.  we made it through the last two winters without setting foot in a dr. office!   ;D  Praise the Lord!  i count this as a great victory!   :D

just curious sarah, are you planting it now?  i failed to plant it last year, cuz i thought we had to plant it in the fall and then i forgot.  so i don't have any yet!  
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:00:33 AM »
I think I have finally found a use for the 26 bulbs of garlic for under $3 you can get at Sam's Club!!

Offline still*learning

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 03:02:31 AM »
I have not used for the ears but as you see many others have! I will be using though!

I made a poultice following these directions and put on his chest and feet.

Here is the link:

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=herb-lessons

click on the garlic one and I followed those directions!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 04:18:52 AM »
I know that the method mentioned is prooven but personally I hate the idea of putting garlic into the ear canal because it's so sore already that I'd hate to add to the pressure.  I got an ear infection as an adult and it made my heart break for the little ones!  They are so tough!!  Anyway, another way that works is to massage the outside area (behind & under the ear) with the oil for 10-15 minutes or so.  I think someone also said something about using a whole clove, but I haven't tried that one yet because with my luck my kids would shove it too far in!  The great thing about garlic is that no matter how you use it, it works because it is so able to penetrate the skin.  By the way, I also use store bought garlic - as long as it's freshly peeled it shouldn't matter much.       ~L

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 04:51:49 AM »
Another way I've used garlic for colds is to put the garlic/oil on their feet. After a thick application, I place a cloth (guaze) barrier and then the sock to hold it on. The feet are considered the 'second heart' and quickly absorb the garlic into the bloodstream. I also put an onion poultice on their chest (especially during naps) (the onsie works great to hold it in place!)  The combo is unbeatable... two days and the cold is gone, but I keep it up for an extra day just to be sure! My husband always teases me about the way they smell, :D but it sure beats being sick!!!
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 05:31:44 AM »
A note on garlic- because of how strongly they smell, herbs like garlic and lavender are automaticly grown without pestecides because they don't need them- the bugs stay away on their own. This is why they make good companion plants in the garden. Store bought garlic, to my knowledge, is not grown any differently than garlic from your garden.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 03:48:42 AM »
Yes, I am planted the garlic a week ago. I bought about 10 cloves and I saved 5 to plant in the fall.  I am so excited, I hope to have all kinds of it.  I would like to make garlic braids with it and use it for medicine.
Home, home on the range, where the deer and the cantaloupe play..... according to my 4 year old

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 06:45:11 AM »
Just a note- "they say" (in the moderate midwest and Eastern states) to plant garlic in the fall, let it over winter, and then harvest about June, July, or August the next year. I haven't done it myself yet, but I didn't want you to be discouraged if they were still very small when you go to harvest them this fall...

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 08:06:32 AM »
I made the garlic in the paper towel ( doubled) just like on the no greater joy site. I put it on my two year old feet and back and chest for a cold.  10 minutes later she said she had a boo boo on her foot. Don't know if is was burning or if she thought she had a boo boo because I had put the poultice on her foot. She seems ok now.  Would a burn show up later or should I go ahead and put aloe on it.  This is all new to me, can you tell.  She has a runny nose and I had tried the garlic drops in her ear a week ago and they worked great so I wanted to try this. I need advice.

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »
Hi.  I have done garlic poultices on the feet before and it never left a burn.  I think you are right in assuming she is saying that because you held the papertowel there.  I believe that there would at least be a red spot and heat if it was indeed burning.  If she complains later on an ice cube would not hurt.
Hope this has helped.
Lisa
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

Dewbear

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 08:30:28 AM »
Really potent (GOOD) garlic can very easily burn, & I have the arm to show for it, so please do take her complaint seriously.  I would watch for blistering, & the blisters can actually pop with an intense garlic-y oil.  I got a serious burn from a garlic poultice, & I now use them with care & definite layering between my skin & the garlic!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 08:47:38 AM »
I, too, have had the experience of a mild burn when using good, fresh garlic but when doing the very same application (sliced garlic bulb directly on skin -yeah, i learn the hard way sometimes  ::) ) with older garlic, no burning at all. So, I'm more cautious with fresh garlic...
~B

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:20:27 AM »
Okay, this joke's on me, but I once had a pimple coming on my nose, and I really didn't want it there, so I put a slice of fresh garlic on it to draw it out- which it did within 15 minutes; no more pimple! Instead I had a nice big blister on the end of my nose! It took just as long to look normal as the pimple would have!   

For kids, I make garlic oil (mince garlic and soak in olive oil an hour) and rub that on their feet and chest- much more gentle, and still effective.

Offline sarahmontgomery

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 10:19:17 AM »
Dara,
     So, I mince the garlic, add olive oil, wait an hour, strain or not?  How many times a day do you do this?  ??? Does this oil need to be refrigerated?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 03:02:59 PM »
...and how long is the oil "good"? When should I discard it, or will it have the same healing "power" until we've used it up?

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 05:45:56 AM »
Does anyone know if this will still be effective if the garlic is frozen? I am going to Sam's tonight and I was planning to buy the big bag of garlic. I thought I'd blend it in the food processor and then freeze in small freezer bags to take out whenever a poultice is needed. I was hoping this would not affect the antibacterial properties. My boys both have colds (in JUNE!) and I thought I'd try it out and freeze the extra. Also, any tricks to quickly peeling the garlic? I have a garlic press that does not require peeling but I always peel it anyway...peeling hundreds of garlic cloves to make poultices sounds like a nightmare!

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 05:50:25 AM »
I have a garlic press that does not require peeling but I always peel it anyway...peeling hundreds of garlic cloves to make poultices sounds like a nightmare!

If you don't need to peel it, why are you?  Just seemed kinda weird ;D
I'm smiling! :D

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 05:52:34 AM »
Something about all that peel left makes me feel like I am wasting the garlic...I always think there is some garlic left in there. So I peel it, and then what is left is all garlic and I just add it into what I am cooking. I don't know, I'm a wierdo! Something about peeling the garlic just makes me feel better!

As for the poultice though, I am not going to use the garlic press, I'm going to put it in the fod processor so it will have to be peeled.

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 05:54:17 AM »
I've seen a cool looking jimmy at T.J. Maxx called a garlic peeler (next time I see one, I'll get one) that looks like a silicone cylinder. You put the garlic in, roll it, and it takes the skin off....

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 05:56:53 AM »
Ah! I have seen those in a catalouge but not in a store. I'll check around...might stop at T. J. Maxx tonight...I'll be right by one...

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 05:58:24 AM »
very interesting!  I suppose there is a lot left over after you press it, but I guess when I'm cooking, I figure most of it went in, and I'm too lazy, and don't like the smell on my hands, so I just toss it (the skin and the left over garlic)!  ;D  

I'll have to look at one of those!  It's not always practical to press your garlic for cooking!:)
I'm smiling! :D

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »
You really don't need to buy a tool to peel garlic.  If you are going to chop it up any, just take the flat side of your knife put it on the clove and give it a whack with the heel of your hand. You can even whack it with a can of corn.  The clove will       and then the skin can be taken off easily.  I do a good bit of Italian cooking (since I am half Italian) and use a good bit of garlic.  That is the fastest way to do it.  If you want the clove to remain whole and peeled (like to stick in your ear) then you can use a silicone potholder or even that stuff they sell for opening jar lids and just fold it in half and put the garlic inside.  Then rub back and forth.  Don't press too hard or you will crush the clove.  The garlic will be peeled and the flat thing you used will be a lot easier to clean than the tube.  I bought the tube, tried it, and gave it away.  :P
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline MotherOfBlessings

• Adept
  • Blessed beyond what I deserve!
    • My Homestead Blog
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »
Also, I use a mortal and pestle to crush my garlic.  It is faster than all that chopping.
Wife to SSgt. Cole, former USMC, now USNG
Homeschooling Mommy of 8 Blessings from the Lord

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »
Ah...a jar opener! That's the ticket!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 10:58:36 AM »
Also, any tricks to quickly peeling the garlic? I have a garlic press that does not require peeling but I always peel it anyway...peeling hundreds of garlic cloves to make poultices sounds like a nightmare!

here's a neat little trick--you can just take your garlic press or the bottom of a glass or jar and whack the clove.  it sort of smashes a little and the skin falls off.  then you can put it in your press and smash it.  my press gives me more if i take the skin off first.  now everyone will think you are soooo smart!   ;) 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 05:45:07 AM »
 I was unclear about how to do the the garlic poultice (didn't read it thoroughly enough)  and I did on my two boys and now they have huge red blistered areas on their feet. I wrapped the garlic up in paper towels (a few layers) and put it in their socks and left it there for a while thinking it would be easier than holding it on their feet...HUGE MISTAKE! I'm wondering how long you can safely put a garlic poultice on the skin. I was reading the 90 second thing but how often do you repeat? I'm so confused about this now.