Author Topic: Interstitial Cystitis: Treatments  (Read 23362 times)

YoopreMama

Interstitial Cystitis: Treatments
« on: June 06, 2007, 03:07:24 AM »
I saw that there were a few posts on this condition of the bladder mixed throughout other discussions, but not a thread specifically devoted to it.

I know someone looking for help w/ this (female).  Anything I can pass along to her?   ???  Thanks in advance!  :)

YoopreMama

Re: Interstitial Cystitis: Treatments
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:44:15 PM »
Bump  :)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:38:36 PM »
Isnt that like a chronic inflammatory condition of the bladder which leads to very uncomfortable miserable bladder issues?

I would think herbs that help in decreasing  inflammation would help, I know there are ladies on here who would know which herbs to use for that that can be taken orally.

I almost thought I had a form of cyctitis because for years I had to pee all the time ins mall and large amounts and always had the urge to pee, bladder twitches and so on. It is miserable. But I was never DX with having it.

All I can say is since I have went on a no to extremely low dairy diet my bladder is so much better. Dairy was some how making my bladder go crazy.

I was having to pee at church 3-4 times every sunday.
before church, inbetween church, after church and some times during church. I was like that for years. but not anymore. I still pee more then the average person but at least  things have gotten a lot better.

MAybe your friend could try a dairy free diet for a few days to a week so see if it helps?

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »
 My stepmpm's sister has this and it was so debilitating for her.  Vitamin B shots have finally helped and I believe hypnosis was what helped the most  :-\
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 07:17:48 PM »
A woman from church has this.  Diagnosed by naturopath after many years of horrid problems: bladder inflamation and cysts, rashes and much more.

They found it to be food allergies.  She now can only eat something like 10 different foods.  I know she cannot eat black pepper but I'm not sure of the rest.

I will find her email in the church directory and see what she is willing to share. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »
I was diagnosed with IC a couple of years ago and it's extremely painful and very difficult to deal with.  Here's what I'm doing.  I am healing, but it is very slow.  Essentially, IC (and I believe most autoimmune disorders) is caused by a toxic body.  For immediate and daily pain relief I take a drug called Ultram (tramadol).  It is the only thing that eliminates the constant urge to go to the bathroom.  Everyone is different.  My bad time is from 7:00pm until morning.  When I was first diagnosed I was having to take 3 pain pills a day.  I am now down to 1.  On the medical side - she should refuse ALL tests that they want to do to her.  Bladder washing, cystoscopies, etc. will all cause further damage to the bladder.  I would highly recommend the book, To Wake In Tears.  It is the only IC book I found that talks about what a gal went through both medically and naturally before she healed her bladder. 

So on the medical front, I use the pain meds to treat my immediate need for pain relief. 

On the natural front here's what I do:

NO, NO, NO white flour or sugar.  Both aggravate the bladder.  No vitamin C, no B vitamins, no cranberry.  Everything that most people would say are good for a bladder, it's the total opposite with IC.  I use marshmellow root tea daily, twice a day some times.  Also, slippery elm bark mixed with the marshmellow tea.  Taking capsules of these things won't work.  The teas are soothing and healing, without doing too much at once.  Cleansing SLOWLY and GENTLY is the key to healing IC.  Doing otherwise will cause more damage.  I have been doing liver cleanses slowly using Unda Numbers and Guna Numbers from my naturapath.  I believe they can be found online.  I also use a chinese herbal formula daily that covers a lot of areas.  It has mucilage herbs, yeast fixing herbs, and things like that.  I have found t-tapp and body brushing a very good method of lymph drainage.  Usually I am in a lot of pain the first day after starting t-tapp if I've missed several days but then I get much better the days following that. 

I believe my IC was brought on my massive amounts of nutrasweet.  So, no artifical sweetners.  None.  I can use Agave Nectar with no trouble. 

Losing weight has also helped.  I still need/want to lose about 20 more pounds, but every little bit will help lessen the stress on the bladder. 

Since I've been at this for several years I did things in this order:

diet changes first for 6 months with the marshmellow and slippery elm teas

added chinese herbs and liver cleansing homeopathics after six months. 

drinking LOTS of water helps because it helps to cleanse the body. 

Avoid anything that will cause fast detoxing.  Slow detox is the key to not causing anymore damage. 

I believe IC can be healed naturally but it does take a lot of time and pain relief during that time is a must or one would go nuts!  I use Ultram because while it's a narcotic, if I go without it there is no physical addiction.  I rejoice if I can skip a day because of no pain! 

Oh, and just an FYI, stress and the menstrual cycle will make the pain worse during those times.

Hope this helps some.  There is very little out there about healing IC naturally.  She can check out http://www.algonot.com/ecom/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32 for some herbal stuff I took for awhile.  Also, the book I mentioned is a must read.  She healed herself naturally and gives specifics about how.  I will caution, she goes into some new agey stuff.  I just took the meat and spit out the bones.

And for those  who don't know what IC is - think of an egg.  Just inside the shell is a thin layer of "skin/coating."  The bladder is the same way.  With IC that thin protective layer begins sloughing off and not replacing itself.  What a person is left with is urine (which is hot and toxic) literally burning the bladder wall.  So the goal is to rebuild that lining by using mucilage type herbs. 

Patti

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 07:45:03 PM by patti »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 01:48:27 AM »
WOW!   :o  I didn't expect to hear much about this rarely heard of condition (at least by me).

Thank you so much ladies--esp. for your story, Patti!  I will be glad to pass this on to my friend.

God bless you for sharing what you all know/experience w/ this.  I could have googled it, for sure, but I had hope my ladies at WTM would have anecdotal evidence or good ideas for treating this.   :-*

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
Okay, this is what my friend from church replied:

Hi Jenny,

Send your friend to 3 awesomely helpful resources:

1.  www.ichelp.org   Read "About IC","Treatment Options", "Diet", "Related       
                              Diseases" and anything else she's interested in.

2.  www.ic-network.com   Go to "Site Map", "Patient Handbook", "Diet"   This is the better listing  of the diet between the two sites, but they both have great info.
Read all the other stuff to

3. Have her email or call me:  942-2323  I would love to help!

Also: Tell her not to be afraid of all meds.   Some are  really effective:
    One has been VERY helpful to both me and my daughter. That is the     antihistamine: hydroxyzine.  It really diminishes  the intensity of symptoms and has no side effects for either of us except to help us sleep better at night.
   Also, Prelief, an OTC tablet sold at Shopco (also Rite Aid, I think) is basically calcium and magnesium.  It helps take acid out of foods that cause symptoms.
    My daughter takes Elmiron and it has helped her symptoms over the long haul, but has had some side effects.

By far, the most effective and dramatic changes will probably come from following the right diet, but some meds can really help enhance the improvement
and diminish repercussions when you've blown it on the diet.

Anyway, please have her contact me.   

Sheryl

She is a wonderful lady who has a life ministry of serving/teaching the women of our church and beyond.  She often is the speaker at our women's retreat.

Offline willsfam

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 05:01:43 PM »
I have just been diagnosed with this after a hysterectomy, thanks for all the ideas.  I also found alot of information and a cookbook on the Interstitial Cystitis Assocoation web site.  Am interested to know more.  I have been told to take Claritin every day for the histimine in my body.  Also Prelief before meals, which is a calcium supplement and antacid?  Havent tried that yet.  On the Association web site they talk about Aloe capsules too. Liz

Offline oliveoil

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 04:33:17 AM »
I am thinking I have IC too and a yeast problem as well, here's what I found while looking into what I could eat while treating for yeast, thought I might share it here:

The role candida plays in chronic pain and disease is no exception. Yeast overgrowth disturbs your intestinal tract lining, allowing allergens and toxins into your circulation while your immune system becomes to weak to handle the influx. This combination is one of many variables that play a role in a diverse group of seemingly unrelated health problems not just vaginal yeast infections. These range from PMS, chronic fatigue syndrome, migraines, fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, and interstitial cystitis, just to name a few. 

so it seems there's a connection here, maybe this info will be helpful to others. And Patti and has been a huge help for me in my little journey as well, Thanks Patti! 

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
I was diagnosed by a urologist last week. She put me on meds to try to empty my bladder all the way because mine was holding 10 times the normal amount for a 22 year old. She told me stress causes it.

I also found out that patients like me, the first symptom is strange allergic reactions to tomatoes. I have to be on a very strict diet now.

The diet is working for all of the symptoms except for my bladder holding in so much urine. If somebody could tell me a natural way to heal that without any risks of miscarriages or hurting the baby if I get pregnant while on it, that would be great.

As for the other symptoms, here's the diet I'm on.This is Elmiron recommended. I'm still making some adjustments, but for the most part, it's working. If there's something on my diet that you do different and it works, please let me know.

http://www.orthoelmiron.com/orthoelmiron/livingwithic_diet.html

I'm still learning, too, so I would appreciate more tips, too, please.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
Well, I would take issue with some of their diet recommendations.  American cheese?  Please!  That's not even real food!  Eggs?  Your body needs that good fat!  After years of dealing with this and slowly beginning to heal my body here's what I'd suggest:

Listen to your body.  Foods that aggravate me may be fine for you.  Cheddar cheese doesn't bother me one bit.  I eat a diet free of anything white.  That means breads, rice, potatos, etc.  Whole grains, etc. are fine.  I use ONLY sourdough bread because it is fermented and is by far better in the bread department then anything.  In the beginning, I had to stay away from acidic foods and juices (oranges, etc).  Now, I have no trouble with them as I've healed to a certain extent.  Water.  TONS of water.  That will particularly help you with emptying since you're holding onto urine.  I don't have that problem.  I actually have pressure like I always have to go when there's nothing to go.  Cod liver oil.  One thing I found that helped tremendously was increasing my essential fatty acids.  They help to heal mucosal linings.  Marshmellow root tea is also a good healing thing to take. 

IC is not caused by stress.  It is caused by a toxic body.  Stress will worsen the symptoms but that is not the cause.  I would stay away from Elmiron if I were you.  Focus on doing good colon cleanses and cleaning up your diet.  You can heal IC naturally but you have to work at it.  Juicing lots of greens is an excellent way to go about it.  Also, I've just recently started chiropractic (the non-bone cracking type) and have had some good success with healing by putting things back in place so I would highly recommend 4-5 visits with a non-bone cracking chiro.  In previous posts I've posted a book that is good with things to do to heal.  Eat the meat and spit out the bones and her info is good.  She has some new agey stuff, just skip that.  But her other stuff is worth the read.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have.  I'm about 60% into healing if I had to guess.  I can go all but about 8hrs without pain medicine which is a huge jump for me.  I'm working on hurdling that last 8hrs. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline bluetou

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »
I was just wondering have you had succes with your natural path way of handling symptoms with IC.
I have been recently diagnosed and have gone to a natural path.
I REFUSE to take elmiron and detrol......
I want to try a natural route.
MY DIET has always been excellent, with no issues of eating any trigger foods.
It is so odd how IC has entered my life....
regardless....I am on UNDA (and saw you had this listed) has this worked for you ?_
any info would be appreciated.
thanks.
blue

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »
Hi Blue,

Sometimes we can still have a toxic body even if we eat a good diet.  Think environmental toxins, stuff you might be using on your hair, skin, etc.  So it's still possible to have a "toxic" body even if your diet is good.  I actually have to take pain pills to control the pressure I have.   I use that as my method of dealing with the pain while I'm using natural to heal my body from the inside out.  Success for me is when I'm pain pill free.  I currently use Ultram (tramadol).  I used the Unda numbers for healing.  Right now I'm taking LARGE doses of staphysagria (sp?) homeopathic and I'm having good success with pain control!  I can go until almost midnight now without pain medicine which is good for me!  Also, the pain doesn't get away from me like it used to.  My ND is looking to have a custom homeopathic of the staphysagria made for me because I require such a large dose for it to be effective.  I keep telling myself I only have to get to 7:00am and I'll be done with the pain pills.  Sounds funny, but when this started I was having to start taking them by 4:00 in the PM.  So I'm definately healing. 

I haven't had a ton of success with natural stuff helping the pain until I had begun to actually heal some.  Now it does help some but I still require pain medicine at night. 

IC presents differently for everyone so it's hard to say what would help you without knowing what your main symptom is.  For me, it's pressure (urge) to always have to urinate even when I'm empty (kind of like what it feels like to have a UTI).  For others, they have to go all the time.  Still others mainly have vulvar pain.  So I think what works for one may not work for another if their symptoms are different.  However, the same healing measures would work (ie. diet, undas, detoxing, etc).

I also just had one last thought.  My IC sort of came on out of nowhere too which was weird.  One day I had a UTI (never had one before then) and the next I had IC.  In my case I decided there may be something structural going on because I had just had a really difficult pregnancy and delivery and wondered if something got whacked out.  I finally started seeing a chiro and I'm seeing success with this as well!  So I think treating IC may have to be multi-faceted.  And do order the book "To Wake In Tears."  It is worth it and she has some good healing remedies to use. 

God bless,

patti

Offline laurajeanne

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 05:35:12 AM »
I'm so glad to have found this thread.  I've spent the last year struggling on and off with the constant urge to go to the bathroom, and have been on five rounds of antibiotics prescribed by my OBGYN. :P  The first episode I had lasted three months, and the second episode lasted about a month.  After the antibiotics didn't help, my doctor said it was either a latex allergy due to cond*ms or IC.  He told me to tell my husband to get a vasectomy and see if my symptoms went away ::).  My hubby isn't thrilled with the idea.  I don't want to get all the strange tests I've heard of to find out if it is IC, but how would I know, otherwise?  Is there a less invasive way to find out?   

Laura
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. - C.S. Lewis

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 12:36:54 PM »
Hi Laura,

Yes, you can find out without all the invasive tests.  First, they will cause further damage.  The easiest way is just process of elimination.  It sounds like you and I have the same type of IC.  Go buy some AZO from the pharmacy (where they sell UTI supplements, etc).  Take it when you have urgency.  If it helps, you have IC.  I did the same thing you did.  Tons of antibiotics before I figured it out.  Unfortunately, my little sister has it so she knew what to ask me about.  The next step is finding a doctor to prescribe ultram/tramadol to you while you treat yourself naturally.  Most doctors want a person to take Elmiron or the other drugs.  Ultram is what they used 15yrs ago for the pain.  It is a narcotic but it is the only non-addicting one there is.  I use it only as needed.  You may have to search for a doctor to help you with this one.  A D.O. is more natural oriented then an MD so you may have some success there.  Once you can get relief for the pressure you can go to work on healing your body.  I've been working on mine for 5yrs but I am about at the 60% healing point (maybe further).  I only have 8 more hours of the day I have to get through before I'll be ultram free.  It's been a long hard road but worth it to heal myself.  My sister has had IC for 20+ years and refuses to work on it, so you can have the rest of your life if your not willing to work at it.  Feel free to ask me any questions you need to.

hth

patt

Offline laurajeanne

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 05:46:51 AM »
Thank you, Patt!  It's so hard to find someone who understands what I'm experiencing, so I'm glad to know there are people out there who do.  My doctor did say that if the symptoms return he'd prescribe Elmiron, but I really want to avoid that if at all possible.  He honestly doesn't seem to have a lot of knowledge about IC.  What exactly does D.O. stand for?  It sounds like I need to go that route if that's what this is. 
I will definitely try the AZO when the symptoms return.  I have been symptom-free for about a month, and the Lord has really impressed upon me to be thankful for each good day.
I'll keep you posted.  Thanks again! :)

Laura
If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world. - C.S. Lewis

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:05:59 AM »
Laura,

A D.O. is a Doctor of Osteopathy.  They are medical doctors but tend to lean more towards the natural.  They spend a few years after medical school studying nutrition and health, etc.  When I went to my MD I told him I needed the ultram for symptom relief while I healed my body naturally.  He laughed and said that wouldn't work but at least he prescribed the ultram without batting an eyelash.   ::)  My doc here in Idaho is a DO and I LOVE him.  He's so natural bent that when I told him I was working on IC naturally he asked me what I was doing and what is working and what's not.  So, it does seem to be a more positive route.  As far as that goes, I think for everyone needing an MD that a D.O. would be a way to go for the more natural.  He delivers babies and is board certified in family practice also. 

I had another thought about pain relief.  You might try white willow bark for the pressure if/when it returns.  WWB did not work for me because the pain was too intense, but it might work for you.  Everyone is different.  If it doesn't you could always try the ultram. 

One thing you should consider - it might not be wise not to wait until symptoms return to get a prescription because it could be hard to find a doc that will prescribe and you may have to look around for one.  If you're proactive and have the prescription ahead of time at least you'll be able to get relief. But during these times of no pressure, make sure you are especially working on detoxing.  And don't be surprised if symptoms crop up while detoxing because it aggravates the bladder to detox.  But that is a good thing and you have to just push through it. 

patti

Offline laurajeanne

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 06:28:55 AM »
I've been looking at some of the websites recommended at the beginning of this thread, and one says that multivitamins should be avoided because they aggravate symptoms.  Is this really the case - should I stop my Supermoms? 

Offline teresab4

• Learning
    • Everyday is an Adventure
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »
I have found something that is almost magical for my IC - I take a glucosamine supplement - it's an anti - inflammatory!  duh - it works!

I also watch my diet.  I have been afraid to eat because I don't know what will cause a flare.  I lost alot of weight in the beginning.  I have found a good high protein meal replacement shake that is easy on my tummy and easy on my bladder - I have been able to gain a few pounds ( a good thing) and have more energy.

As for vitamins, the ones I take are 3 caplets per daily dose so I take one at each big meal.  Usually it is OK.

I also take Omega fish oil and Aloe Vera capsules.

Getting through the night was a big problem - that is where herbs have helped I take a combination of Valerian, Chamomile and Melatonin before bed.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 04:09:57 PM »
I've been looking at some of the websites recommended at the beginning of this thread, and one says that multivitamins should be avoided because they aggravate symptoms.  Is this really the case - should I stop my Supermoms? 

Only if they cause a problem for you.  If they don't, then you're fine.  One thing with IC is you really have to listen to your body.  If your fine with a food they say aggravates most people then you don't need to worry about it.  Before I started healing I had to avoid oranges, tomatoes, etc.  Basically foods that are really acidic.  Today, I can enjoy oranges and have no trouble.  I still have trouble with anything white but I count that a good thing!   ;D  I'm never tempted by them.

patti

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
I have found something that is almost magical for my IC - I take a glucosamine supplement - it's an anti - inflammatory!  duh - it works!

I also watch my diet.  I have been afraid to eat because I don't know what will cause a flare.  I lost alot of weight in the beginning.  I have found a good high protein meal replacement shake that is easy on my tummy and easy on my bladder - I have been able to gain a few pounds ( a good thing) and have more energy.

As for vitamins, the ones I take are 3 caplets per daily dose so I take one at each big meal.  Usually it is OK.

I also take Omega fish oil and Aloe Vera capsules.

Getting through the night was a big problem - that is where herbs have helped I take a combination of Valerian, Chamomile and Melatonin before bed.

Teresa,

Can you tell me what your main IC symptom is?  Is it pressure to go to the bathroom?  I would give anything to find something other then ultram to help me.  My worst time is also nighttime.  If I lay down the pressure is so bad I can't sleep and I'm up a hundred times feeling like I have to go to the bathroom when I don't. 

How do you do your combination of nighttime herbs?  Are they capsules?  How long before bed do you take them for them to work? 

I have taken aloe vera juice periodically but I am NOT faithful with it.  Does it help a lot?  I will start adding it to my drinks several times a day.  I do take fish oil but not as much during the summer. 

patti

Offline teresab4

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »
I take 3 500 mg Omega capsules and 3 Aloe Vera capsules at every big meal (3x a day).

The sleep herbs come in a capsule form, already mixed, I take one about 30 minutes before bed and then take another nighttime tablet that is supposed to work during the sleep cycle to help your body recover from the stresses of the day, I take that just before I turn off my lamp and lay down.

My sister is a tri athlete and some of these are things that she does for sore muscles and stress when she is really training hard for a race.

I am not sure how much the Aloe Vera works - It was something I found out about on an IC post.  I already have heard about the benefits of Omegas, I even give them to my dog for her skin and arthritis, she takes the glucosamine too.

Omegas and Aloe are hard to determine the true benefits, I have read the studies so I am sure there are long term benefits.  But I sure can tell the difference with the glucosamine and the nighttime stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
Can you tell me where you buy the nighttime herbs pre-mixed?  I'd like to get some and give them a try.  It can't hurt and if it gets me off of the pain medicine at night I'd be thrilled.

thanks,

patti

Offline teresab4

• Learning
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
The Valerian, Chamomile, Melatonin combo is called Zzz's, the other that helps the body recover from the stresses of the day is Nighttime Recovery.  Both of these are Advocare products.  I think that each product is good, but for my symptoms, the 2 together are best.  I started with Nighttime Recovery and it did work well to help me to stay asleep and feel better the next day, the Zzz's help my brain wind down so that I can fall asleep.

I buy them at a discount from my sister who has a home based business as an Advocare distributor.

You can get them online at www.advocare.com/0707882.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 04:49:41 PM »
Teresa,

What's your main IC symptoms?  Is it pressure, burning, vulvodena, etc?  Just curious.

patti

Offline teresab4

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
I was in denial for a long time before I finally realized that I had to follow the diet and especially stop going to Starbuck's every morning!  I do not take any prescription medications for my condition.

This is how things used to be before I started doing anything about it.

I had intense bladder urgency and pain (around a 7 on scale of 1-10, this level of pain fluctuates, sometimes 3, or 5) at night, about every 2 hours, sometimes every 3 hours and sometimes every 1 hour.  I felt pain in my bladder and a lot of pressure in my bladder only.   It would wake me up.

There has never been any leaking.  I have read not to hold the urine in. I once thought that holding it for a little while would stretch my bladder.

At night I would urinate, and then sometimes have to get back up and go again in 2-15 minutes and all I'd get is a trickle.  At night I would have difficulty starting the stream and then it starts and stops and comes out slowly.  I have to concentrate on relaxing, I can't just push it out.

I would have similar, yet very mild symptoms (1 on scale) in the daytime if I have eaten a food that is a bad food for us, example:  Coffee!! , chocolate, tomato.

Sometimes I have these same daytime symptoms once or twice a day and can't figure out what triggered them. I am starting to feel some very mild bone pain in my lower back and hip and pelvic area when I wake up. This may be due to my bed though, but it just started 2 weeks ago. It subsides after my walk with my dog in the AM and approximately 3-4 hours after getting out of bed.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
Thanks, Teresa.  I was curious about your symptoms because I wasn't sure glucosamine would work for me.  But my main symptom is pressure and it's severe.  I will start the glucosamine right away and see what happens.  For me the pressure gets so bad I can't sit down or lay down. I can only walk around or sit and rock back and forth.  And that doesn't relieve the pressure, just makes it so I don't scream for the moment.   The pain meds take the pressure away so I can sleep at night. 

I also have to watch what I eat.  So long as I stay away from sugar and anything white I do pretty well.  I will let you know if the glucosamine works for me.

patti

Offline teresab4

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 04:51:02 AM »
When we heard about the glucosamine, we literally slapped our heads and went "Duh" "an anti-inflammatory!"

My sister was at a product training and she asked Dr Kenneth Goldberg, a urologist who sits on the Sci/Med board for the supplement company,  what could help.

I noticed a difference within 48 - 72 hours!  And it is not a fluke, because when I run out, I can tell the difference and immediately order more.

By the way, here is some info about glucosamine and chondroitin:

"Chondroitin sulfate is a large macromolecule that must be broken down into glucosamine in order to be absorbed. As a consequence, there is no added benefit to using chondroitin as compared to glucosamine."

I am looking forward to hearing some good news about your results with glucosamine.

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »
Hey Patti. Yeah, i have a lot of questions ???.

My urologist said today that I don't have to go back unless the pain comes back. My cathater went better this time. I'm not holding the urine in anymore, but I'm still confused on the diet. I've been using the Elmiron diet (even though I'm not on any of the IC drugs, thank the Lord) because that's all I've had to go buy. I don't have the internet at home, either, so I only get a small amount of time to research. The diet they have me on seems to be working, but I'm getting really bad headaches from detoxing from caffeine, chocolate, MSGs, nitrates & nitrites.

Is there something I can take to detox and is there a better diet to go by? All my urologist said (sweet, but not very informative on natural healing ???) was to stay on an IC friendly diet and my case won't get worse. I'd appreciate any help I can get. I'm also going to check some local bookstores for that book you recommended. Thanks!

Allie