Author Topic: Help with strep throat/tonsilitis?  (Read 47798 times)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
Re: Help with strep throat/tonsilitis?
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2009, 09:22:29 AM »
UGH! I always use the tab bar and send my messages to soon (filler with typos, nonetheless  :-\.

Well, I am still giving him GSE to gargle and comfrey, hyssop, mullien tea to drink. the swelling has gone down considerably, but still has a ways to go. He is up and going now too which is a plus.....though I do think the others maybe falling prey too, but I will fight it faster and stronger with the others.

God bless.
Tennille

YoopreMama

« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
Eucalyptus oil, Echinacea and garlic seem to be the major helps...for a PG friend, isn't Echinacea not advised?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
Eucalyptus oil, Echinacea and garlic seem to be the major helps...for a PG friend, isn't Echinacea not advised?
I know many people feel comfortable with echinecea during pregnancy. You could check over here or ask if it hasn't already been answered. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,288.0.html

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »
I know many people feel comfortable with echinecea during pregnancy. You could check over here or ask if it hasn't already been answered. http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,288.0.html

I have always used it (echin.) while pg and nursing. I remember reading (long time back) that it's quite safe.

YoopreMama

« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2010, 04:57:57 PM »
Thank you, Ladies!  :-*

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2010, 04:41:18 PM »
Well, I think I have strep. Man, it's been forever since I've had this...not since I was a kid. My symptoms came on kinda suddenly one evening. Body aches, chills, fever, sore throat, head ache. It's been two days, and today I've felt great...my throat is still a little sore, more so at night. Well, I just checked it out in the mirror since my mom said Strep was going around, and my tongue is white, and I have a small white patch on each tonsil. IS it looks like strep to me. Anyway, I'm gonna go make some echinacia tea, rub on a bunch of eucalyptus oil, and gargle some garlic water. How many times a day do you think I should do that routine, and I was thinking I could just swallow the garlic water after I gargled it to get it in my body? Sound good? Oh, I'm nursing my 1 mo. old and I have a 2 yr. old. They don't seem to have any symptoms. Should I be concerned that they might get it?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 05:36:01 PM »
The 1 month old will get antibodies in your milk & likely won't get it. If the 2 y/o gets it youi can treat her just like with any other infection/illness.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
Here's something I posted on the rashes thread that applies to this thread as well:

Can you identify this rash on my son?

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/starlady
It looks like either measles or scarlatina to me, more like scarlatina, esp since he doesn't have the red eyes that usually goes with measles & you already suspected that he had strep throat. Scarlatina is basically a rash from a bad case of strep throat.

My oldest had scarlatina once when he was about 5. He hadn't been feeling well Friday & Sat morning when he woke up had this head to toe rash that looked like your DS's. At that time I didn't have much experience with rashes, the rash worried me esp since it hadn't followed the normal pattern for measles & he was/is a high histamine reactor. I thought maybe he was having some kind of severe allergic reaction so we took him to the ER.

The Dr took one look, checked his throat & said it was strep with a scarlatina rash. He explained that a scarlatina rash is just a bad rash from strep & a shot of penicillin would clear it up. This was when we still used reg antibiotics so we agreed. Sure enough, the strep test (this was almost 20 years ago- only the 3 day test was available) came back positive but by then he was over it anyways.

My brother (he's only 2 years older then my oldest) also had it as a teen. By then both my mom & I were using natural medicines. It wasn't diagnosed by a Dr but he had a high fever, cherry red throat & the same rash. She treated him with Echinacea, garlic, etc & he recovered quickly.

I don't use OTC meds much but just in case it's some kind of allergic rash, (like Kittyninja was talking about) a dose of Benadryl might be an idea. Benadryl is one of only 3-4 OTC meds we always keep in the house & that's because in the case of a severe allergic reaction it's VERY helpful & in a case like that you don't want to have to run to the store to get it.

HTH & that he's better soon. Blessings ~herbalmom  

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2010, 06:08:34 PM »
I thought I had posted this long ago- I was having problems posting & PMing at the time so I emailed it to Purewellspring instead & planed to post it later. I just realized that I never posted it. Megan, it should help you as well.

Thanks for the ideas! The two complicating factors in this case are 1) I'm pregnant, so probably no goldenseal and 2) dd is one (TODAY!!!) so no swallowing pills or gargling...hehe. But DH did run out to load up on garlic and she loves chicken broth so I'm going to try to make garlic tea with the broth to get it in her. Everytime I've ever made GOOT she breaks out terribly, so I'm going to try it again today, but I don't have high hopes.

She woke up today with a crazy itchy rash all over her front, up her neck and onto her face a little, so we're getting a little concerned that's for her it's turning into scarlet fever. From the little bit of reading I've done on scarlet fever, it still looks like something that clears up on its own, but I certainly want to be careful, so we may take her in today just to be safe. We can always try garlic a few more days before starting the antibiotic.

Anyone else had this turn into scarlet fever? What did you do?

DS had strep with scarlitina rash when he was 5. (he's 23 now) He had been a little under the weather but DIDN'T have a sore throat & then woke up on Saturday morning with a full body rash that wasn't right for measles. We used Drs a lot more then than we do now so we took him to the ER. The Dr took one look at him & said that he was positive that DS had strep, the rash was a scarlitina rash & that the quickest, easiest treatment was a penicillin shot right then.  We agreed & as it turned out, the strep test did come back positive & the Dr was right. If it was to happen now though I would treat it herbally & not go into the ER in the first place.

As far as treating strep w/scarlitina rash w/herbs, we have done that as well. My brother had strep w/the rash when he was a teen. He's only 2 years older than my oldest so this was less than 10 years ago- by then both my mom & I were using herbals full time.

At first she thought it was measles but wasn't sure b/c the rash hadn't followed the right pattern for measles. I lived in a different state so we were on the phone & I remembered DS & his scarlitina rash. My brother had had the sore throat, etc so we knew that it could be strep. I had her check & his throat was VERY red (my mom had very bad vision & she could see the red w/OUT her glasses) so we knew it was strep with a scarletina rash. She treated him with garlic & Echinacea & it cleared right up.

We use Super Echinacea tincture from Herb Pharm- (avail at HFS) it's potent & since Echinacea can vary so much in strength & quality once we found a good brand we stuck with it. Echinacea is one of those herbs that you get a much better medicinal in tincture form than as a tea. Problem is, tincture tastes much worse than tea also but at least you don't have to take as much.

I WOULDN'T try to put it on the throat for a 1 year old. We always just add it to a little water (shot glass) & drink it. We started using Echinacea when our youngest was 2-3 & I could get him to take it 'because I said so' but I haven't tried it with a 1 year old. We always use about 60-80 drops every couple of hours for a full sized adult. You can take her body weight & divide it into 150 (Clark's rule) to figure out the dose for her. 

DS had frequent ear infections when he was a baby & had ear tubes put in at 2. After that he ended up with a REALLY bad ear infection during a time when we had no medical insurance. I was just getting started with herbal treatments & was having a hard time figuring out what to give him. He was so miserable, hadn't been sleeping well at all & I was going through all the herbs I had on hand (which wasn't much at the time) just trying to figure out something to make him more comfortable. I ended up giving him some of Dr Chirstopher's Respiratory Syrup (comfrey, mullein, garlic & vegetable glycerine- this was before the warnings about taking comfrey internally) not expecting it to help much with the infection- since mullien is a mild narcotic I was just expecting it to help him sleep. Well, it turned out to be the perfect thing to treat the infection. Since he had ear tubes, the infection was oozing out of his ear so I was able to easily monitor what effect any treatment was having. ONE dose of the respiratory syrup (one ounce in juice if I remember correctly) stopped the oozing for over 20 hrs. Since it would make him very sleepy I was able to give him one dose a day at bedtime. It rapidly cleared up- it seemed totally gone in just a few days but I gave him a dose every night for a full week just to be sure.

So point being, you could probably give DD garlic maybe with mullien (mullien does help with throats as well as lungs although it's not it's primary use) in veg glycerin. Veg glycerin is sweet so you could use it instead of honey since she's young. 

As far as garlic in chicken broth, that's a great way as well. Here's how I would do it. Since DD likes garlic & you're making it as a medicine you can probably use one full head of garlic in only a quart or 2 of broth. Just bring the broth to a boil after adding the pureed garlic so the garlic isn't raw & too strong. Cool & serve.

When I want to get extra garlic into everyone & I'm making soup I take a bunch of it & puree it w/some water in a blender or w/a stick blender then pour into the soup. Quick, easy & I don't have to chop a pile of garlic. I usually use at least 1 head of garlic in an 8 qt. pot of soup.

Also, Myrrh is specific for pus filled infections, infected glands, mouth infections, throat infections, etc. A few moths later the same DS had a bad tonsillitis infection. He had 2 rounds of antibiotics (DH's wishes) & it hadn't done any good. The Dr prescribed round 3 & had said that if it didn't work they were going to remove his tonsils. That time I didn't have any Respiratory Syrup, there wasn't a health food store in the area, I didn't know about Echinacea yet but I did have Myrrh tincture & knew that it was a good infection fighter. I gave it to DS & the infection cleared right up. I wasn't at the follow up Drs appointment- DH took DS to it- but DH tells me that the Dr was totally surprised that the infection was gone- he obviously hadn't expected the antibiotics he prescribed to work & was expecting to be taking DS's tonsils out.         

As far as being preggo, you can take Myrrh & Echinacea. Also, I WOULDN'T try to give Goldenseal to a young child- it's VERY bitter.

Myrrh is the common replacement if you can't take goldenseal for any reason.  It's a resin so it's another one of the herbs that's MUCH more potent as a alcohol based tincture than in any other form although if you can't have alcohol you could take capsules. I have no idea how well it does as a glycerin based tincture. I know you're preggo but if it were me I would be using the alcohol based tincture b/c it's the most potent form. I used alcohol based tincture for DS & he was only 3 y/o at the time. IMO the alcohol in a tincture isn't enough to worry about & since myrrh is a resin you need alcohol to extract the most medicinal properties & be the most potent. Herb Pharm is a really good brand. So is Hrebs Etc.

I've posted about making a Myrrh tincture & why alcohol is the better tincture liquid.

Using Myrrh

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom 

Offline jesslynn

• Learning
« Reply #159 on: April 26, 2010, 04:25:10 AM »
Hi all so I am not finding a lot on line about this topic. We ended up taking my
2yr old to night time peds about a week ago because he had a sudden high fever
and a cough and wezzing sounds. the dr there said it was strep (all he did was
barely look in his mounth) and gave and antibiotic. We gave it to my son it was
a five day it helped the wezzing sound but the fever continued till yesterday. i
also kept giving him elderberry and probiotics.

so now i have had a sore throat for 3 days along with a runny nose but no fever
or anything else we dont have a primary for my husband and i because we havent
needed it since our old 1 stopped taking our insurance 2 years ago. the only
reason i am concerned is i just found out i was pregnant its very early (and
unexpected) so i havent been seen or even deiced who we are using as a midwife.
im don't know if is should find a primary and get seen in case its strep or wait
it out or what of he stuff i normally take when sick is ok to do now.

we havent needed a dr because normally we use herbs or vitamins and never reach
the point where we need to go i just dont know whats safe since am pregnant.
sorry this is long bit any advice would help.

thanks!

Jess

What so ever you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #160 on: April 26, 2010, 07:46:14 AM »
Jess,

Try making a garlic poultice and putting it right on your neck.  It's-gwen has written quite a bit about it on that thread.  I would do it daily, several times a day for 15-30 minutes at a time.  See if this doesn't take away any infection naturally.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
Hi all so I am not finding a lot on line about this topic. We ended up taking my
2yr old to night time peds about a week ago because he had a sudden high fever
and a cough and wezzing sounds. the dr there said it was strep (all he did was
barely look in his mounth) and gave and antibiotic. We gave it to my son it was
a five day it helped the wezzing sound but the fever continued till yesterday. i
also kept giving him elderberry and probiotics.

so now i have had a sore throat for 3 days along with a runny nose but no fever
or anything else we dont have a primary for my husband and i because we havent
needed it since our old 1 stopped taking our insurance 2 years ago. the only
reason i am concerned is i just found out i was pregnant its very early (and
unexpected) so i havent been seen or even deiced who we are using as a midwife.
im don't know if is should find a primary and get seen in case its strep or wait
it out or what of he stuff i normally take when sick is ok to do now.

we havent needed a dr because normally we use herbs or vitamins and never reach
the point where we need to go i just dont know whats safe since am pregnant.
sorry this is long bit any advice would help.

thanks!

Jess
Yup... garlic presseswould be perfect. 

And this is another favorite for us:
http://www.gwens-nest.com/natural-remedies/honey-lemon-cough-and-cold-remedy
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline createddaisy

• Adept
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2010, 05:29:26 PM »
I have used colloidal silver.  My it stopped my daughters pain
right away.  We use a product from Nature's Rite.
Super neti juice.  1/2 dropper in throat. Hold it there as long as you
can and swallow.  Every 1/2 hour to hour.  HTH

Offline momof6boys

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2010, 05:26:18 AM »
bump