Author Topic: Help with strep throat/tonsilitis?  (Read 46635 times)

Offline 1happygal

• Learning
Help with strep throat/tonsilitis?
« on: June 05, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »
As someone who has enjoyed reading the informative messages on this board, I knew that I could pose a reoccurring problem my 4 yo is having with the promise that I could get some positive feedback.

My daughter has had a low grade fever (not over 100 degrees), low appetite and swollen, puss-filled throat. She had strep about a month ago, and I feel this could lead in to that again.

I have been giving her an immune booster (thoughout the last 3.5 days), Tylenol or ibuprofen (mainly the first two days, fever is below 100 now, so nothing today). I gave her a garlic enema at the first sign of fever 3.5 days ago and it helped immensely. My daughter would only let me do it after that one time (I have given them to my 18 mo son many times in the past). I also did a garlic poultice once, garlic drops orally about four times and just rubbed garlic oil in the neck area, trying to "milk" the glands of any infection.

My question is... Am I not being consistent enough with one thing in treatment, or do I need to just wait it out with current treatment? How long should it last if I pinpoint the correct treatment? I had to take her to get an antibiotic the last time and do not want to go that route again. She is showing some signs of improvement today- lower fever and a small increase in appetite. I know this is quite long, but I really appreciate any input. I have just started studying about natural healing and get a little nervous when treating my kids, not growing up with any experience in my background.

God Bless!  :)

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Help with strep throat/tonsilitis?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 08:54:49 AM »
Hi there, I will see if I can give you some tips that have worked for me.

First off, the decrease in appetite...I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just make sure she has plenty of liquids, mainly water. I always tell my kids  "drink lots of water so you can pee the germs out"--they guzzle it.

A sick body is trying to put its energy to healing itself. Digesting food takes a lot of energy..you know the ol' saying "starve a fever and feed a cold" or is it the other way around? Anyway, I read an article put out by Dr. Richard Schultze which said it is actually better for the body to "starve" both. This can be a slight problem with giving them silver or other medicines that are to be taken with food. But it is for the best to let them only eat if they are hungry. What ever they do eat, make it count. Try to give them something with nutrients if possible---eventhough they may only want a popcycle---tell them to try to have a bit of apple, or something, first.

For glands, I use tea tree oil --I smear it on the outside of the throat and chest. If she will let you put some under her nose to breathe in a bit you could do that...You may want to dilute it with olive oil...I apply it straight though.

Now you thought your email was long  :-\

Hope these suggestions help. If she is getting better, that is a great sign. Remember, a fever is working for her...it is "burning" out the "germs" so let it take its course.

--Sister Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline 1happygal

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:58:42 AM »
Thank you for the advice, I will head out for some tea tree oil when my youngest wakes up from nap. Anything else I should look for? I know you mentioned silver... I have heard it mentioned in passing before, but not sure what it is intended for.

Thanks again!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:13:13 AM »
Silver is a natural antibiotic...I do not care for the colloidal silver...I have mentioned why on a post here before...just type in silver in the search spot on the home page here.

I am still learning how to provide the links but am sloooowwww at it.

I just posted something about garlic on the "rule of thumb for a cold" thread a bit ago, you could try taking garlic with the slippery elm and ginger I mentioned this there.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, maybe someone else will chime in with an idea before she is up from her nap  :)

sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
We're working on a couple cases of strep and echinacea is really doing the trick. I've heard echinacea will only work at the onset of a cold, not in the middle of one, but I read in Herbal Antibiotics that echinacea specifically fights strep bacteria. It makes my throat feel better as I'm drinking it. If only I could get my baby to drink some!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 01:49:43 AM »
I know to mention the word antibiotics on this webpage is like mentioning the name of the devil himself.  But I was wondering, is there any way of truly healing a major bacterial infection like strep without antibiotics?  I noticed there were a few people who posted in this thread with a few ideas, well how did it turn out?  I have a major sore throat right now and I have had it for 4 days.  It is not getting better, only worse.  The last time I remember having one so bad was many years ago and it was strep.  I was contimplating going to the doctor tomorrow, but dread it knowing that they will swab my throat and very possibly come back with the diagnosis of strep and then hand me a script for antibiotics.  Soooo, what do I do?  I have a baby that is going to have major surgery in two weeks.  I don't want her to get this, and I definitely don't want her to get stuck on antibiotics, she will be fed enough drugs.  It would be better if I took them and got it over with.  Any ideas?  Also, my son was complaining of a sore throat too.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 01:55:24 AM »
Also, I have been taking Immunebooster tincture with elderberries and I have been sucking down the EmergenC like crazy.  I have been making some herbel tea that healthybratt gave me a combo of thyme, catnip, and spearimint.  Warm fluids seem to help at least temporaily.  I have also had tons of sinus pressure and ear aches.  FYI   Oh, I have been taking garlic too, but not a lot.  The thought of swallowing it just seems unbearable, but I will try choking some down here in a little bit.
...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 05:17:47 AM »
Garlic, GSE (GSC), and Eucalyptus ARE antibiotics.  I've had luck with all three.  I also have tremendous luck with ginger in baths and tea.  Of course, just so you know, I don't get strep, but my kids do.  They also get ear infections which are bacterial as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 05:22:59 AM »
GSE or GSC ???  Sorry don't know that one.  Also, I have a question.  If antibiotics are bad because it kills all the gut flora etc. then why isn't garlic and the others also bad.  I get the impression that everyone around here eats enough garlic to ward off a pack of vampires, but how is that good for your gut?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 05:33:26 AM »
GSE or GSC ???  Sorry don't know that one.  Also, I have a question.  If antibiotics are bad because it kills all the gut flora etc. then why isn't garlic and the others also bad.  I get the impression that everyone around here eats enough garlic to ward off a pack of vampires, but how is that good for your gut?
Grapefruit Seed Extract/Grapefruit Seed Crush (beeyoutiful brand).

On the garlic - I don't know the answer to this.  It seems to be a broad spectrum antifungal/antibiotic and antiviral, but I don't know HOW it works.  I just know it does.  I DO eat enough garlic to keep the vampires away.  In this case, I guess I just know that it doesn't cause me any problems and it works.  Maybe when I have more time, I'll try to find out WHY and HOW it works.  Until then, maybe someone else can hop on here and tell us.

As far as the GSE and the GSC is concerned, there is some thoughts that it might be bad for gut flora.  I haven't been able to find alot of proof either way.  I have taken it, but not enough to be an expert.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »
Bump - I am starting to feel a little bit better.  The eucalyptus oil and the ginger tea are helping some. Thanks HB!  You're awesome!  I was also curious if there was any other imput on this.  Also is Grapefruit seed extract different from Grape seed extract?  I figure so, but I thought I would ask.

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 04:41:30 PM »
My son recently had strep. I tried all the natural things first. He didn't make much improvement and actually wound up having a touch of rheumatic fever. Kinda scary. He just had a sore throat. I never really used to give much thought when my kids complain of sore throat, but if they're persistent I will have them checked. He was put on antibiotics and I just gave him plenty of good live cultures the whole time and several days after. If I hadn't gone ahead and given him the med. he could have had permanent damage to his heart. Thankfully, the Lord wouldn't let me have any peace until I took him to be checked. IMO if the fever is persistent for several days and the sore throat persists, it would be wise to have it checked. Be aware of any joint pains or rashes. My son had hip pain and limped when he walked and it hurt for him to raise his arm. Since she recently had strep her immune system could also just be a little weakened. I don't mean to scare any one... I just thought I'd tell my recent experience with our first case of strep.
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline JAHKA

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 05:17:29 PM »
Wow that is scary. 
My daughter suffered from chronic strep throat about 2 years ago and my doctor suggested that before we had her tonsils pulled that we try to let it run it's coarse and treat it naturally.  I fed her lots of plain yogurt and made her smoothies with pineapple, yogurt and added echinaccea & goldenseal.  In a week her strep was gone and she has not had it since.   :)

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:13:46 AM »
BTW, after one afternoon and evening sucking up ginger tea and inhaling eucalyptus oil off a tissue and once in the bath, I am feeling a ton better today.  I have no sore throat.  I still have some sinus pressure, but I can tell they are draining which is causing me to cough some, but it is all good in the name of progress.  I would never have guessed that I feel this much better today.  I really was miserable yesterday and ready to go to the dr.  Again, thanks HB!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 07:18:13 PM »
BTW, after one afternoon and evening sucking up ginger tea and inhaling eucalyptus oil off a tissue and once in the bath, I am feeling a ton better today.  I have no sore throat.  I still have some sinus pressure, but I can tell they are draining which is causing me to cough some, but it is all good in the name of progress.  I would never have guessed that I feel this much better today.  I really was miserable yesterday and ready to go to the dr.  Again, thanks HB!
I'm glad you're feeling better.  Next time, start as soon as the symptoms begin to threaten.  You'll be glad you did.  I caught something and started scratching up in the throat last night.  Ate some raw garlic and extra C this morning and drank some thyme and echinacea tea for breakfast.  I'm not "over it", but I think I will be before it even gets started.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 11:22:53 AM »
My son recently had strep. I tried all the natural things first. He didn't make much improvement and actually wound up having a touch of rheumatic fever. Kinda scary. He just had a sore throat. I never really used to give much thought when my kids complain of sore throat, but if they're persistent I will have them checked. He was put on antibiotics and I just gave him plenty of good live cultures the whole time and several days after. If I hadn't gone ahead and given him the med. he could have had permanent damage to his heart. Thankfully, the Lord wouldn't let me have any peace until I took him to be checked. IMO if the fever is persistent for several days and the sore throat persists, it would be wise to have it checked.

I hopped on here because I am having a bad sore throat that kinda looks like strep, but I have no fever or joint pain. It started yesterday and only hurt on one side, then this morning my whole throat was swollen and sore. It has some white spots and pus pockets and my neck actually feels swollen too. Could it be strep even if I don't have a fever? Or what else could it be? Tonsilitis?

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33:48 AM »
I had the worst case of strep in my life about 10 years ago. I had no fever until after about a week, just really sore throat, very tired, and weak. (Just got out of college, no job, no insurance yet). So I put off going to the dr. until one weekend the fever hit hard, and my then fiance had to help me up the steps to my dad's house because I was too weak to do it myself! That was also when I discovered a severe allergy to penicillans and went into anphalactic shock in the middle of the night. It was not a great time! Anyway, all that to say, yes, you can have strep without a fever, for a little while.

VM

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
Should I go ahead and get a culture done just to be safe? And if it really is strep, are anitbiotics necesary?Can it be knocked out with garlic and echinacea?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »
Should I go ahead and get a culture done just to be safe? And if it really is strep, are anitbiotics necesary?Can it be knocked out with garlic and echinacea?
I would try Eucalyptus Oil.  Beka told me that it will kill strep and I use it on my kids for regular colds and sore throats as well.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 02:08:11 PM »
Thanks so much. Is the eucalyptus oil you're talking about the same thing as the eucalytus that is in those little bottles of essential oil that you buy at the health food store? Do you drink it or just breath it in?

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
Thanks so much. Is the eucalyptus oil you're talking about the same thing as the eucalytus that is in those little bottles of essential oil that you buy at the health food store? Do you drink it or just breath it in?

My son just had a really bad sore throat and I dabbed the Eucalyptus oil on his pillow to breathe it in. It is VERY toxic to take internally even the smallest amount!!! Use it on a rag or dab some spots on pillow at night. It also acts as a sedative so it helped him to sleep well. I also gave his tbs. of garlic and honey periodically througout the day and by the next morning, he said his throat didn't bother him!
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 03:10:54 PM »

DO NOT DRINK EUCALYPTUS OIL!!!!!!DO NOT DRINK EUCALYPTUS OIL!!!!!!

Ess. oils can kill you if ingested. Eucalyptus oil is used cut with a carrier oil (I use coconut) rubbed on the skin & straight in steam inhalation. You can use it in the medicine cup of a vaporizer. Echinacea works well- I use Herb Pharm brand & my mom & I have used it for strep with scarlatina (that is strep that bad enough to give you a scarlet fever type rash). Since it boosts the immune system, it will work no matter what's causing it. Once you do get a fever, DON"T lower it, fever fights the germs & boosts the immune system. There is a drink that contains vinegar, cayenne, honey, & hot water that's good for sore throats but I don't know the recipe. Gargling w/very warm salt water will help the sore throat. HTH~herbalmom

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 04:12:15 PM »
Is the eucalyptus oil safe to breath when nursing?

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 04:37:57 PM »
Is the eucalyptus oil safe to breath when nursing?

I've used while nursing, on babies-more highly diluted of course, & in the vaporizer when babies are around. I've never had any problem. ~herbalmom

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 07:15:18 AM »
So .........yesterday I was feeling like maybe I had strep throat so I took some of the suggestions on here (garlic, eucalyptus oil, vit c, ginger tea) and I feel a lot better. I have no fever (I didn't have one yesterday either..) and the sore throat feels better, not gone, but better. My question is, howlong to I keep up the treatment? With antibiotics, they tell you take them even when you start to feel better so all the bacteria can be killed. Does any one know how long this is for herbal stuff? Usually with antibiotics, they give you a 10 day supply.

My other question is, if I never started a fever and I'm feeling better after only one night, does it sound like maybeit wasn't strep?

THanks for your help everyone.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 07:23:29 AM »
I found out the hard way last time that you can reinfect yourself, which isn't something that would happen when you are on antibiotics for 10 days, but with natural cures that you only do till you feel better it can happen. So wash your pillowcase/sheets and anything else your own germs may be on and I've even heard to throw out your toothbrush and get a new one (seems like just hot water would disinfect it, though). I have read that antibiotics kill the strep right away but just the symptoms still last 9 days. You could probably just keep up the treatment a couple days and then stop if you are still feeling better. Good job treating yourself!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 06:29:37 AM »

DO NOT DRINK EUCALYPTUS OIL!!!!!!DO NOT DRINK EUCALYPTUS OIL!!!!!!

You can use it in the medicine cup of a vaporizer. Echinacea works well- I use Herb Pharm brand & my mom & I have used it for strep with scarlatina (that is strep that bad enough to give you a scarlet fever type rash).
It works well to inhale on a cloth or in the bathtub too.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 09:35:05 AM »
 Juliaofsunnyside said, "I've even heard to throw out your toothbrush and get a new one (seems like just hot water would disinfect it, though). "

You could also clean your toothbrush with Listerine.  I used to do that when my daughter was two and was constantly getting into the toothbrushes and doing wierd things with them. :P  I got tired of replacing toothbrushes for a family of six. (yes, I corrected her, she is just a little more hard headed than some and it took a few attempts before she was cured.)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »
I found out the hard way last time that you can reinfect yourself, which isn't something that would happen when you are on antibiotics for 10 days, but with natural cures that you only do till you feel better it can happen. So wash your pillowcase/sheets and anything else your own germs may be on and I've even heard to throw out your toothbrush and get a new one (seems like just hot water would disinfect it, though). I have read that antibiotics kill the strep right away but just the symptoms still last 9 days. You could probably just keep up the treatment a couple days and then stop if you are still feeling better. Good job treating yourself!

The health food store carries a product that contains ess. oils that disinfects your toothbrushes. It is basically a toothbrush bristle cover that has a pad in it that has ess. oils on it & the vapors do the disinfecting. I think they last for about 3 months. I haven't tried them but I have been thinking about doing something similar for our toothbrushes. ~herbalmom

Offline khix

• Master
  • Forever changed, forever Yours!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 04:01:56 AM »
My 9 yo daughter starting getting a sore throat Friday...come Friday evening, she was running a fever, and a sowllen tonsil, and puss pocket on it.  Over the weekend, she had a fever & it hurt to swallow & open her mouth wide, and turn her head a certain way.  Tonsil still the same.  By now, (Wednesday), she is no longer running a fever, but the tonsil is still a little swollen.  There's still a white area on it, but not as bad, and the other tonsil has a white area.  There are also white spots (sort of looks like a white head) under her tongue (one), on her gum (back behind the last molar), and two on her bottom lip (like maybe cold sores or mouth ulcers).  Also, there's a lot of white stuff on her tongue.  What could this be?  Strep or tonsilitis?  I wanted to post this is in the "diagnose me" thread, but couldn't find that thread.  Anything I can do for my daughter?  I haven't taken her to the doctor, so no antibiotics.  She's not keen on taking anything that tastes bad, so she hasn't had much garlic.  She's gargled & swished with salt water a few times - will that help?  She's drunk a little tea with honey here & there.  She's drinking lots of water, not eating much.  Oh, she's also been taking a gummy echinacea/vitamin c.  Any idea what this is & what I can do?  Thanks.
Save $5 on your first order at www.iHerb.com!  Use referral code HIC104.

www.campaignforliberty.com