I tried making this recipe this weekend. Here's what's happened so far
First I boiled the water and mixed everything. No problems.
The next day after it cooled it had "boogers" of soap floating in it. This means the soap was not mixed well and the proportions would be off if I tried to use it this way.
I did some more research and found some troubleshooting tips that said I should stir the soap frequently as it's cooling.
So, I put it back on the stove. I could only fit 4 out of the 5 gallons in my canning pot and I tried to scoop most of the "boogers" into the pot as well. I reheated and stirred until it was smooth and cloudy again and poured it back into the bucket with the remaining cold gallon and mixed. All is well again, except, I had to go to town and did not manage to get enough stirring in before it cooled completely.
So, I put it back on the stove, yet again...I stirred it about once an hour until I went to bed and then again this morning. It seems a good consistancy.
One more problem. My spoons were not long enough to stir the mix so I stole a scrap piece of lumber from hubby's garage (a piece of oak trim) and used this instead. I left it sitting in the mix in between stirrings to avoid a mess, but it seems the stick has turned my soap a dingy red/brown color - YIKES!
So, I am trying to decide whether to use it as is or throw it out and start all over with a SMALLER batch. (I don't know why I didn't cut the recipe in half in the first place - UGH!) I'm also considering making it more concentrated to improve the consistancy and save space. I'm thinking maybe half the water called for.
I also found another website
that had a recipe for powder using the same ingredients. I may try this one but the lady recommends a food processor and I don't have one - YET