Author Topic: Making [Filling] Your Own Capsules: How, When & Why  (Read 5129 times)

Offline mexmarr

• Master
Making [Filling] Your Own Capsules: How, When & Why
« on: May 30, 2006, 10:53:41 AM »
I want to buy some gel capsules.  I need to order over the internet, as I live in a small town.  My question is this, What is the difference between the "0" and the "00".  Which do you recommand?

Also, have any of you used a capsule machine?  Thanks

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Re: Making [Filling] Your Own Capsules: How, When & Why
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:24:03 AM »
The difference, from what I can tell, is the size.  I can't remember, but I believe that "O" is bigger.  Do you (or does anyone else) know of a good on-line source for capsules?

Thx
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 09:03:23 AM »
I thought that I had read that the 00 was bigger than the 0.  NOt sure either.  I read somewhere how many milligram that they hold, but unfortunately, that doesn't give me any idea of the actual size...

Offline Gabriel Anast

• Administrator
  • Master
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:36:24 AM »
I think the 0 (smaller) usually holds about 650 mgs and the 00 usually holds about 850 mgs... it all depends on the density of the powder.

Here is a link with pictures:

http://www.torpac.com/Reference/unlinked_size_chart.htm

--gabe

Offline healthnut

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:53 PM »
Anybody know where to buy a size 3 capsule? My health food store only carries 0.  Even someplace to order on-line would help.... ;)

Offline amazonmama2five

• Adept
    • Amazonmamasadventures
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:28:40 AM »
Hey All,
I don't buy much online (shipping is a killer to South America! :o )  but, I DO check a lot of stuff out.  ;)  Anyway,  <a href="http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi-bin/Main.pl?AID=079749&BID=30>Mountain Rose Herbs[/url] has gelcaps of both 0 and 00 sizes.
Lisa
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:11:46 PM by healthybratt »
He is no fool that gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.~Jim Elliot
My Intro
Visit our site!

njmama

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:00:31 AM »
www.atlanticspice.com has capsules & machine. Atlantic spice is for the east coast. I think San Francisco Herb Company is for the west coast. There is a link on the site if you are in the west. They have both 0 and 00.

www.urbanhomemaker.com also does

I have the capsule machine and like it very much!

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 08:51:39 AM »
This is probably a basic question.....but I'm sure many of you fill your own capsules?  I just got some empty capsules for the first time at the health food store to fill with spirulina.  I have had the spirulina sitting in my cabinet for so long, occasionally putting it in my smoothies, but I want to take it every day...so I thought this would be a good way to at least use up what I have before deciding what to do next.  Anyway....I found it very awkward to do and stopped after about 6.  My lovely children said, "OH, only 144 to go!!".  I saw something at the health food store that held the capsules, would that be easier?  I was trying to do it as economically as possible, so I didn't purchase that and thought I'd try it on my own.  But I have to ask...is there an easier way?  I feel like I'm wasting a lot and it is taking forever.  I'm willing to buy the holder if necessary, but I thought I would check here and see if there are any tricks of the trade that I am ignorant of.  Thanks!

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »
We fill capsules all the time and use a capsule machine that fills 50 at a time. It's not necessarily fast, but it is much better than doing it by hand. We filled Spirulina that way, and I definitely say that is the best way to take it. The machine is a Cap-M-Quik capsule filler. In our area, some people fill thousands at a time (to use personally) using these machines. Good luck!

Offline momofkings

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »
I am starting to fill some capusles for the first time, just using up some spirulina I have.  I also just started supplementing with milk thistle.  It is very expensive at the heatlh food store, and it dawned on me I could be filling my own for these too.  However, I am following a recommended dosage from Shonda Parker's Healthy Pregnancy book for the amount to take.  How do you assure you are getting enough/not too much when you fill the herbs yourself?  I am using the "00" size capsules.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:23:53 AM »
How do you put dried herbs into capsules? Or do you have to use powdered herbs? I have some alfalfa I want to put into capsules.  Would a coffee grinder work to grind it up fine?  or should I just make a tincture with it instead??
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 11:35:40 AM »
Bump!

I was thinking of doing the same thing with the coffee grinder for my Red Raspberry.  I am just not able to swallow it down as a tea. 

Does anybody else have any thoughts?

Missy

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 11:44:14 AM »
When placing a substance in a capsule, you need a capsule big enough to accommodate the bulk of your substance and/or a substance that is ground finely enough to fill the capsules.

So, the smaller bits you have your herb in, the more you will fit into a capsule, meaning the greater amount you will ingest per capsule.

If you have dried alfalfa leaf, I would think a quick turn in a mortar & pestle would do the trick as I'm not sure you'd want the potency of a powder. If I needed powder, I would use a VERY WELL CLEANED electric coffee grinder and just give it a couple of bursts.

Then again, the problem may be that of needing to acquire a capsule filler. Those can be gotten at very reasonable prices. You'll need to decide on the size of the capsule you'll want and then buy the corresponding capsule filler. BHS has recently started offering these as well as the empty capsules.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
I do this, I use a coffee grinder for herbs and just grind them to put in capsules.  I have a little tool that does the capping (not cap m quick, some other brand)  I bought the grinder second hand for .80.  I only use it for herbs.  I guess a mortor/pestle would work, but I guess I like it done quick and the grinder only takes a few seconds.

Offline jessicah

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 05:20:34 PM »
sorry if this is a dumb question, but why is it important to clean out your grinder thoroughly? I have a coffee grinder that I only used to grind sesame seeds and flax seed and cloves. 
thanks for the tips so far.
I bought a tray type thing and large capsules from the bulkherbstore
Jessicah

Let me share with you how I keep my family healthy!
www.jessicahannonjuiceplus.com

Juice Plus+ the next best thing to fruits and vegetables. It is not that fruits and vegeis are just good for you, its that they can save your life

Offline Hootie Hoo/the-beth

• Adept
    • The Beth Chronicles
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 05:23:13 PM »
Being new at all of this, I'm curious.  What kinds of herbs and other things would you put into a capsule?
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become." Pericles

Nickole

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2007, 04:57:51 PM »
I would pick the top one b/c it says:

"virtually indestructible with everyday use" 

Unless I am borrowing something, I am terribly rough with things  ::) (I just get impatient and want to do things quickly so I break things), so I get the virtually indestructable when I can.   ;)

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »
I have the cap m'quik and it is so simple my 3 year old makes capsules with me.  The only thing is, if you move the side parts at the wrong time you can have a big mess.  It doesn't look like the other machine had movable parts like that. 

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2007, 04:46:24 AM »
Would you buy a-

Cap M Quick '00' machine
www.herbco.com/herbal-supplies/Cap-M-Quick-00.php

or a

Capsule Machine
www.herbco.com/herbal-supplies/The-Capsule-Machine-00.php

and why?

I have the Cap M Quick, and have used it a lot.  I just got the Capsule Machine, I have just palyed around with it and did two capsules jsut to check it out.

I'd say they are both equally indestructable, so that is a non issue, imo.

The main beneft of the Cap M Quick is that you can do 50 at a time while the Capsule Machine only does 24.  BUT, with the Cap M Quick you have to manually put the top on each filled capsule, one at a time.  I hated that, and it was very tedius.  The capsule machine puts the tops on all of them at once in just a couple of seconds.  Way better option, and You could probably do 3 batches in the time that you do one with the Cap M Quick.  I think that I will like it way better!

Another benefit to the Capsule Machine is that it comes with a tamper (used to compress the herbs into the capsule, so it will hold more).  You have to buy it seperate with the Cap M Quick.  I used the Cap M Quick with and without the tamper, and I think that it is ESSENTIAL.

So, the capsule maker gets a much high vote, imo, but on the other hand, the Cap M Quick is much better than doing them by hand, and it works well and is good quality.  It is just more tedious than the capsule machine.

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 04:54:12 PM »
For those who cap, how do you "clean" the outside of your caps of residue powdered herbs so they don't taste like them? When I cap something with say, cayenne, in it, the capsules burn on the way down b/c of the powdery film on the outside of them. Maybe I just make too big of a mess when capping..  ???
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
I also capsule cayenne and have some left on the outside of the capsule. But not so much that it really bothers me. Sometimes I'll taste it in my mouth, but I swallow it down real quick.  I'm not any help...just to tell you that I don't clean them off. But I do try to keep the area clean and minimize the powder outside the bag, while I am making them.  But I think it may be impossible to keep them free of the powder.

Just brainstorming now...Maybe you could put them on the damp paper towel after they are made and then put another one on top.

Shanna

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2008, 03:44:30 AM »
bump. how to clean powder/herbs off filled capsules? I think I'll try rolling them in a dry washcloth. Only thing I could think of.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
My mom taught me how to make raspberry caps. She has me go through about a fist full of stuff and pick out all the big stems in the mix. Then she showed me how to use the coffee grinder on them--three blasts, take a few minutes break, then three blasts again, so as to not overheat the grinder. Then we used the BHS cap thingie (small), and stuffed the mixture in using the long thin part of an ink cap to push as much of the mixture in as we could. I found that you can put a little in the top cap too before snapping the capsule closed, but that is maybe a bit more effort than some might want to put into it. Raspberry takes a long time to make, but is worth it when you feel the results  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 03:18:17 PM by naturalgirl »

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 10:40:56 AM »
bump. how to clean powder/herbs off filled capsules? I think I'll try rolling them in a dry washcloth. Only thing I could think of.

That's what I do. It won't get 100% off but it will get most of it off. It means that you can still taste the cayenne a little but it saves money & it's probably better that you taste some of it anyway. That way your stomach knows what's on the way down. Digestion starts in the mouth & what you taste kick starts your stomach to be ready for what's comming.

Never use anything wet to clean off capsules- they will get sticky &/or dissolve. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 05:58:04 AM »
I have The Capsule Machine size 0 and it's working horribly.  About 7-10 capsules stick in the machine every time.  I also have the size 00 and it works much better.  Anyone have this problem with the size 0?  I'm wondering if I should buy a Cap-M-Quick for the size 0.  It's wasting time and herbs and frustrating me terribly!