† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Splenda effecting the thyroid  (Read 3407 times)

Offline mistyrenee22

• Learning
Splenda effecting the thyroid
« on: May 15, 2007, 03:01:02 AM »

Has anyone seen or read any articles regarding the effects of Splenda (and other artificial sweeteners) on the Thyroid?
It whispers...so listen!

Offline naturalmom

• Adept
Re: Splenda effecting the thyroid
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:30:36 AM »
if u go to dr. mercola's website he has a ton of stuff on Splenda aka sucralose
www.mercola.com
"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."  by Ronald Reagan
In God I Trust
My Intro

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:05:17 AM »
I haven't heard about the thyroid being effected per se, but have read and heard much about the evil's of splenda. Haven't checked out the mercola site YET but I do know my chiropractor said that it's only natural that these(chemical) sweetners are going to accumulate in the body because they are NOT natural.  Our bodies have no idea how to process these things.  Inadvertently I have discovered that sucralose accumulates in the thymus and effects  immunity.  I learned it accumulates in the gallbladder and liver and causes congestion.  Just to name a couple of things.  I have decided to become a sucralose slueth and try my hardest to get this out of my life and body!  (It says somewhere on this site that taking taurine will help get it out of the body) Unfortunatly I am a type 1 diabetic and have consumed this in small amounts since it was introduced, but I have to admit it hasn't been in a great amount because I noticed right away it raised my blood sugar even though it claims no carbs.HTH

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 06:50:11 AM »
Has anyone seen or read any articles regarding the effects of Splenda (and other artificial sweeteners) on the Thyroid?

I have not heard of Splenda doing anything to the thyroid as much as I have heard of it messing with your hemoglobin A1C....count (maybe it is hemoglobin A13...I can't remember)

The molecular breakdown of Splenda is basically this:  Splenda is regular white sugar, with three hydrogen molecules extracted and three chroline (yes, bleach) molecules injected.  This is why it is calorie free.  It's bleach in our systems!  The blood sugar levels do not go up but it does wreck havoc on the hemoglobin counts which should never be more than 3-5.  Splenda counts are usually up between 6-10, which is bad boogie for diabetics.

I actually stop people in the store who I see buying it and explain to them what they are consuming, especially elderly people who are sometimes a little more unaware of FDA tactics, etc... Most are thankful and are diabetics, not surprisingly having problems with their hemoglobin counts.

The only thing I have heard of interfering with the Thyroid is flouride.  Flouride actually attaches itself to the thyroid, thus blocking iodine from being able to be absorbed. I was told this by a compounding pharmacist who does not use flouride toothpaste and does selll flouride free toothpaste from NOW in his store.  He thinks we as a nation are sorely iodine deficient. 

A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:43:31 PM »
You could try searching this site for information-

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline mistyrenee22

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 03:14:51 PM »
First of all...LOVE this site!!!  Second, thanks so much!  I actually had a colleague stop at my desk as she noticed my yellow packet on my desk and told me that she had just heard about how it effects your thyroid.  She's supposed to find me the article and bring it to me along with a natural sweetener called stevia (I think).  Ever hear of it.  I did some searching online at work, but was limited.  I REALLY appreciate the information you have provided. 
It whispers...so listen!

Offline mistyrenee22

• Learning
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »
Thank you so much for the info.  This is so scary...I KNOW better than to put this stuff in my body...the things we will do to loose weight.  Thanks again so much! 
It whispers...so listen!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »

I have not heard of Splenda doing anything to the thyroid as much as I have heard of it messing with your hemoglobin A1C....count (maybe it is hemoglobin A13...I can't remember)

The only thing I have heard of interfering with the Thyroid is flouride.  Flouride actually attaches itself to the thyroid, thus blocking iodine from being able to be absorbed. I was told this by a compounding pharmacist who does not use flouride toothpaste and does selll flouride free toothpaste from NOW in his store.  He thinks we as a nation are sorely iodine deficient. 

Actually, fluoride is just one of at least 3 chemicals that interfere with iodine absorption in our tissues. Chlorine is another and so is bromine(commonly used as a dough conditioner in bread). All 3 of these chemicals displace iodine. The body needs iodine to process fats correctly. (Source: Cholesterol & Your Health, Tree of Light Publishing).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 01:20:09 AM by Mama Sita »
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline makingchanges

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 05:25:59 PM »
Yes, do not eat Splenda. My NP Dr. has had me on a hunt for Splenda in my diet. He said it is in everything because we Americans love sweet things without the calories. We want our cake and eat it too.  ;D We have found it in everything that is fruit sweetened. He said it makes it sweeter- fruit is not sweet enough for us Americans. We have found it in everything! health foods and unhealthy foods.

Taking Taurine helps get rid of the Chlorine. You can't take it forever because you will get out of balance. Everytime I take the Taurine I start feeling great. When I stop I start getting worse again. Manufactures DO NOT have to report the Splenda in food if it is not more than 40% of the formula which won't happen with it being 600 times sweeter than sugar.

The Splenda has effected my gallbladder. This in turned makes me exhausted. The chlorine blocks my Kreb Cycle which makes energy. My neck, back, and teeth etc. hurt a lot too. Splenda is evil stuff. I can FEEL the difference. If I could just find it. I'm suppose to make everything which is exhausting and just impossible. I think it may be in my prunes now. They are not fresh and they taste so good. Who knows. I love how I feel when I take the Taurine and Common Birch whcih is removing the chlorine from my gallbladder. I keep asking God to open up my eyes. Good luck.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 05:51:14 PM »
First of all...LOVE this site!!!  Second, thanks so much!  I actually had a colleague stop at my desk as she noticed my yellow packet on my desk and told me that she had just heard about how it effects your thyroid.  She's supposed to find me the article and bring it to me along with a natural sweetener called stevia (I think).  Ever hear of it.  I did some searching online at work, but was limited.  I REALLY appreciate the information you have provided. 

Stevia is a natural sweetner that comes from a plant.  It is safe.  I use it in my tea.  It comes in a liquid and a powdered form.   It isn't great for baking tho.

There are several threads on here about stevia.
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,5216.0.html
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 05:58:49 PM »

Actually, fluoride is just one of at least 3 chemicals that interfere with iodine absorption in our tissues. Chloride is another and so is bromine(commonly used as a dough conditioner in bread). All 3 of these chemicals displace iodine. (Source: Cholesterol & Your Health, Tree of Light Publishing).

Thank you for that!  I knew for sure of flouride, but my brain escaped me about the other two :)
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24:56 AM »
You're welcome. Thanks for mentioning that it messes up A1C count. Docs use this A1C test on diabetics to see if they've been faithful to their diabetic diet in the past few months (I think like the previous 4). Even though they have, I can see that Splenda can really mess things up for them. Hmmmm, I didn't know that! Can you tell me where you found this info? I'm very interested.....
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 07:46:30 AM »
Just my .02 here being a diabetic.  I'm thinking this could alter the hba1c because splenda RAISES MY BLOOD SUGAR, thus causing the sugar to attach to my blood cells and raising the hba1c on the 3 month check.  In other words, I not sure if mistyrenee meant it just causes a FALSE "ac1" reading or if it is causing a high reading(diabetic) because it actually is raising the blood sugar.  Which splenda claims not to do.  Kinda interesting,  I bought some of this about 5 or 6 years ago before the big "tastes like sugar b/c it's made from sugar campaign, and it listed carbohydrates on the box as 1 per package!   I think in my suspicious of everything mind, that they altered the carb listing so it would sell better and be able to compete with the other chemical poison, ie. aspartame.

Offline snickerdoodle

• Master
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 08:46:19 AM »
Please forgive my pregnant brain, but...  I vaugely remember reading an article several years ago about Splenda causing high levels of (I think) ammonia in peoples systems after several years of use that affected the thyroid in some way. 

There.  That was helpful huh?