Author Topic: Sitz Baths: Why, When & How  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Kansas Girl

• Adept
Sitz Baths: Why, When & How
« on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »
I am curious about sitz baths.  Does anyone on this forum take sitz baths???  What is the procedure to take a sitz bath?  Do you add herbs? What are the benefits? 
When I was pregnant and had hemorrhoids my doctor told me to take a sitz bath, when I asked her what that was she said it was just sitting in hot water.  Is that all there is to it??? 
-KG
having a baby" border="0

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Sitz Baths: Why, When & How
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 09:29:06 AM »
Personally, I have no idea ???

But I found this on the web.

A-Z Health Guide from WebMD

Sitz bath

A sitz bath is one in which the hips and buttocks are put in water. It is usually used to promote healing and symptom relief around the bottom, such as for hemorrhoids, or genitals, such as for pain following childbirth.

There are different types of sitz baths to choose from, many of which can be purchased at medical supply stores. A common type is a basin that fits on a toilet seat and is filled with water.

Hip Bath/Sitz Bath

Louis Kuhn is one of the the founders of hydrotherapy including the hip bath and the true sitz bath. These 2 styles of hydrotherapy are some of the most powerful healing methods ever used. It works on expelling stored mucous and toxins as well as retoning the nervous system quickly. This procedure is a must have in the tool belt of healing methods and can be used in almost all cases of aquiring better health..

"Louis Kuhne of Leipzig was impressed with the fact that diseases are all caused by morbid accumulations in the system, and on that theory he built up his system, which is substantially as follows:

Two steam baths weekly (15 to 30 minutes' duration), taken in a steam bath cabinet much like our present-day vapor cabinets.
    Then from one to three hip baths daily, except that in gynecological cases Sitz-baths are taken instead of hip baths. Temperature of water should be about 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

"Hip-baths" differ from "Sitz baths" in that the former are given with the patient sitting in water up to his iliac spines, whereas in the latter the patient sits on a stool, the seat of which is on a level with the surface of the water; the water then being lifted up and rubbed vigorously about her hips with a coarse linen cloth. Vigorous friction is used in either case, using the linen cloth. This bath is continued from 5 to 20 minutes. After the bath, the patient is warmed by exercise, or, if too weak, by being put to bed.

Louis Kuhne used this method for every disease, and people came to his sanitarium from many parts of the world. To the Naturopath who has the true pathology of disease well in mind it is very evident why this method should be applicable to all classes of diseases, and I personally regard Kuhne's system as among the most valuable of hydrotherapeutic methods."
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 10:51:04 AM »
When I had my first baby the hospital gave me a sitz bath kit. 

Basically it was a big shallow bowl that a 'wand' snapped into.  The bowl sat on the toilet and the wand was hooked up by a hose to the sink faucet so when you turned warm water on from the faucet and turned the handle on the wand, water would spray upward, (obviously you're sitting down while this is happening to gently cleanse and soothe a healing perineum or I guess in your case hemorrhoids). 

There were also cartridges of some kind of solution to insert into the wand so when the water sprayed out the solution was included in it, (I never did check it out what the ingredients were...I just needed relief for my painful stitches). 

Sorry for the VERY non-technical explanation....I have no idea where you get these....as I said they gave me mine at the hospital...I'm sure you could do something herbal....maybe there's a whole nother way to do an herbal sitz bath....this is my experience though.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Elbereth

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:08:39 PM »
You can get a sitz bath at Wal-Mart for like $8.00

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 04:23:10 PM »
I took comfrey and chamomile (tea) sitz baths after my firstborn, and it was very soothing! We just made tea, cooled it to room temp. (which felt best), and sitzed.
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 05:51:01 AM »
they gave me one at the hospital too, I loved it, soooo soothing and makes your poor butt feel so much happier! I just used warm water. but i am sure healing herbs would be awsome.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 03:21:49 AM »
I've searched and found posts that talk about herbal sitz baths for after birth but I didn't see recipes. Could some of you share a recipe or recommend a premixed one?

I would like to mix my own and save some money, but I'm about to order something from the Bulk Herb Store and I kinda wish they carried one so I could just add it to my order and be done with it (I'm 35 weeks and tired, in case you can't tell).

WR
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 03:25:04 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »
Bump
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 04:36:40 AM »
http://www.familyherbalremedies.com/sitz_bath_recipe.html
The herbs in Sari’s sitz bath recipe mix are:

• 2 oz. of rosemary and uva ursi,

• 1 oz. each of Chamomile, chickweed, marshmallow root, plantain, lavender flowers, and calendula,

• and then 2 oz. of sea salt.

In Childbearing Year, Susan Weed recommends using herbs like yarrow, rosemary, golden seal, oak bark, witch hazel, sea grate bark, and myrrh specifically for healing perineal tears.

She does caution that if you have stitches you should limit yourself to one sitz bath a day.

As I look at this list of herbs I see some that feel a bit astringent and powerful in their healing ability. These are herbs like yarrow, rosemary, and golden seal, and then there are the soothing, cooling herbs like chamomile, chickweed, marshmallow root, plantain, and calendula.

The soothing quality of the sitz bath is what I remember most – the relief and feeling of gentle herbal healing.

To prepare your sitz bath...

• Pour boiling water over four ounces of your herbal sitz bath blend.

• Let it sit and steep for at least four hours.

• Strain it into a bowl, or directly into your basin and then sit with your vaginal area in the tea for about 15 minutes.

Not only are the herbs healing, but this little bit of time for you can be cherished as well.

• Repeat several times a day if you do not have stitches, and enjoy the powerful healing of a simple herbal sitz bath!

Remember, you can make your own sitz bath recipe, or click on the link to the right.

Ultimately, it will be way cheaper to buy the herbs for your sitz bath recipe in bulk at Mountain Rose Herbs

I had one I loved...I'll try and find it.... :)

Favorite Postpartum Herbal Mixtures
Shepherd's purse
uva ursi
comfrey leaves and roots
sea salt
calendula flowers
lavender flowers
1 bulb fresh garlic
myrrh or ginger (optional)

and

I usually order the herb baths from Cascade; however, I found this "formula" in a magazine or journal. Forgot to write down source so I don't know where I read it. Anyway, here it is:

1/8-1/4 cup sea salt
1 ounce Uva Ursi
2 ounces Comfrey
1 ounce Shepherd's Purse
1 clove Garlic

There were other great tips, there, too, ("Comfort Measures for Postpartum Perineum"), as well as ways to prepare baths:

I found mine!

I think it's from cascade, too, but WishGarden Herbs from Boulder, CO is the actual supplier:

(5 baths worth) uva ursi leaves, yarrow flowers, plantain leaves, sage leaf, comfrey leaf, comfrey root, witch hazel leaf, sea salt (5 oz).

My midwife had another one, LOTS of garlic...I'll try and find out what it was....LOVED that, too.   :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:44:30 AM by Yooper »

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 12:45:14 PM »
It has been a little while, but I purchased mine from In His Hands (a family run company that sells home birthing supplies).  It was wonderful and I don't think it was very expensive.  Their prices seemed to be good.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 03:01:43 PM »
I just used comfrey, plantain, and minced garlic after my birth. My husband made a huge pot of strong tea with those herbs, and then poured it in the bath for me, adding more water while in there. I was probably in there an hour after my birth. It was very relaxing and soothing. I didn't have stitched, but I did tear a little, and it seemed to heal without a problem.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 01:21:19 PM »
Thanks ladies!
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »
Ok, I found plantain in my yard, do you think I should dry it or add it, fresh, to an herbal bath recipe?

I was thinking the other ingredients I would use would be comfrey, yarrow, sage, and Celtic sea salt (maybe some ginger root or garlic too). The only things I don't already have, or can't get quickly and easily, are the comfrey and yarrow so I want to order those soon.

Any opinions on this, or any other suggestions?

Thanks,
WR
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 05:41:31 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 04:00:50 AM »
Ok, I found plantain in my yard, do you think I should dry it or add it, fresh, to an herbal bath recipe?  I was thinking the other ingredients I would use would be comfrey, yarrow, sage, and Celtic sea salt (maybe some ginger root or garlic too). The only things I don't already have, or can't get quickly and easily, are the comfrey and yarrow so I want to order those soon.  Any opinions on this, or any other suggestions?  Thanks,
WR

You are persistent!  Good for you.  ;D

My after birth sitz baths had plantain leaves (dried) in mine.  Dried or fresh..hmmm... I think the dried is more potent, and by adding water to it you would activate it and could prepare in advance (drying it).  Fresh would get slimy? Require more steeping in hotter water to pull out it's medicinal properties?  I don't know...just my musings...all the other ingredients were in my bath! Sounds good!  The uva ursi and witchhazel leaf were the only other ingredients...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:48:35 AM by Yooper »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 11:36:39 AM »
OK, ladies. I would like to resurrect this topic, if I may :).

Years ago, when I had my babies at home, my midwife had me purchase a home birthing kit with all the supplies. In that kit was a small bag of herbs that was used to help soothe and heal that oh-so-tender area after birth. Well, I cannot remember what was all in there, but it worked so fantastically, and even used it on some very sore diaper rashes, too. Worked great!

So, does anybody have a recipe for an herbal sitz bath mixture specifically for after a birth? I would be grateful if somebody would have something I could mix up for a dear friend of mine. All I remember was that there was uva ursi, shepherd's purse, comfrey, and a bunch of other things. Do those sound right?

Thanks, ladies.
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 11:52:37 AM »
Copied this from the episiotomy care thread...I really think this combo of herbs and salt is great. Very soothing and no sting. HTH

I thought the Sitz afterbirth herbs from birthsupplies.com (email sorry I don't have the web address) helped me heal quickly. Rinse with an infusion of the herbs after every toilet use and a sitz bath as often as you like. The ing. are comfrey leaf, sage, rosemary,shepard's purse, uva ursi, lavendar, and sea salt. I also made my own little pads out of viva paper towels and witchhazel.

YoopreMama

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »
I've posted this somewhere else.... ???:

From WishGarden Herbs (Boulder, CO), "After-Birth Sitz Bath" (5 baths)
[in order of ingredients (maybe indicative of quantity?)]:

Uva ursi leaves, yarrow flowers, plantain leaves, sage leaf, comfrey leaf,  comfrey root, witch hazel leaf, & sea salt (5 oz).

It's not ground--chopped up.  Place 1/2 c or a generous handful into 1 qt. boiling water...simmer 5-10 minutes.  Strain & add water to sitz bath. Do not overdilute by adding to a full bathtub of water. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 04:00:32 PM by YooperMama »

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 03:49:37 PM »
Thank you boysmama and Yoopermama. Exactly what I was looking for ;). It didn't dawn on me to search for 'episiotomy.'

I am honored to be asked to attend an Amish family's homebirth as an assistant to the midwife.  I would like to bring some of this herbal mixture along to help afterward. Mostly, I am just really looking forward to seeing a beautiful birth!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 04:11:10 PM »
Herbal Sitz Bath Recipes or Recommendations

This has been merged with the current thread.  Thanks WR

WR
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:40:28 AM by healthybratt »
Who Needs God?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 09:02:35 AM »
Whiterock, could you re-do your link again? I could not get it to work. Thanks :)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 01:12:15 PM »
Ok, try it now.
WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »
Yup, got it now. Thanks.

I predict this will become a merged topic......... ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 04:39:44 AM »
Yup, got it now. Thanks.

I predict this will become a merged topic......... ;D
You win the prize.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline turtle mommy

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »
I was just wondering about using herbs in my sitz baths (baby due in Aug).  Thanks everyone for the great information!

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2008, 04:27:41 PM »
I have some slightly different directions for my upcoming herbal/sitz baths...I know my current blend has sea salt, uva ursi, comfrey and shepherd's purse:

Boil a large pot of water.  Lower heat and add the herbs.  Let it sit at least 30 minutes, but 1-2 hours is best.  Chop 1 whole bulb of fresh garlic (unpeeled) in 2 cups of water in the blender.  Strain the entire mixture of herbal bath and blended garlic into the tub.  A fine wire mesh sieve works well for this purpose.

"The water should be comfortably warm and hip level.  Lie back and swoosh the healing waters up into the birth canal.  10-20 minutes should suffice...you should find the bath very soothing, relaxing and rejuvenating (baby should be with you).  The herb bath will start the healing process of the cord stump and it may drop off as early as 3 days." 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 02:33:53 PM by Yooper »

YoopreMama

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 03:50:46 AM »
Bump for upcoming labors.  :)