Author Topic: Soy [ Soybeans ]: Health Risks and/or Benefits  (Read 59394 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Soy [ Soybeans ]: Health Risks and/or Benefits
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2009, 04:30:19 AM »
I was so excited when I went down the road and scooped up about 50 pounds of soybeans that missed the truck today.  My dad and husband are helping harvest. 
I wanted to do the roasted soybean (soynut) thing.  These beans are right from the field.  Are they as dangerous as storebought?

i don't know where you live, but here in Iowa, i see them spraying gobs of chemicals on to the soybean and corn feilds and would definitely not want to eat them.  i'm sure i'd feel the same if i saw the growing of the rest of my produce.  but they are heavily sprayed here.  FYI
You can smell the anhydrous too.  I don't know the effects of this stuff, but it smells like a litter box.  :-X
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Soy [ Soybeans ]: Health Risks and/or Benefits
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2009, 05:04:08 AM »
Does anyone know how to ferment edamanes (soy beans) in a way that they don't lose their texture or change the taste? My DH and I LOVE edemanes, but now we have stopped eating them because they are soybeans. We loved to eat the frozen ones just thawed in a bowl of warm water.... So good!

I know this is an old post, but properly/traditionally fermenting soy is a lengthy and complicated process that can take anywhere from 2 months to 2 years, depending on whether you are making natto or miso or soy sauce. But I don't think there is any way to ferment the bean and leave it a bean. It is ground and mixed with other things to remove toxins and help the ferment break it down into a more digestible, safe, food. And even then it was only used sparingly like a condiment.

WR
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:23:37 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!