Author Topic: 3 year old with fever. No other symptoms  (Read 3385 times)

Offline samsgal

• Learning
3 year old with fever. No other symptoms
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »
My three year old has a history of high fevers.  When she was just a little over 1 year she had went into convulsions from a high fever.  She has continued with them since.

A couple weeks ago she had a fever and cold, cough, etc.  Now she has a fever again (and I thought we were done for a while! :'()  This time it seems to be for no reason at all.  ??? We always give her Motrin now as they always go so high so fast (103 this morning - but 104+ at times). 

Does anyone have any ideas or similar experiences?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say!
Learnin' daily to live by faith... oh what a joy!!

Offline mommie

• Master
Re: 3 year old with fever. No other symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:44:00 AM »
ya know i posted something about this last week, I'm hoping you get more suggestions...cause I'm clueless with my son...he hasn't necessarily had the problem his whole life (he's 30 months) but just the last month...the first time it seemed like the flu although he had had a cold the week previous and had been no where wgere he could have caught it and no one else got it...but he threw up and had diahreah and hi fever 104.8 before i gave him tylenol. than 1 month later he came down with hi fever 105 than tylenol and no other real symptoms besides loose poops which he still has although the fever is gone...its hard for me to thin its his diet since this is a new thing and his eating habits haven't changed, so i'm wondering if its a food poisoning or parasite or something...i'm gonna have his bnlood done by a friend and see what we can find...if you find anything else out w/ yours keep us inforned....there must be something in her little body? or maybe that is just how she fight off sickness? I'm clueless with mine

Offline samsgal

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 11:53:19 AM »
Thanks for your reply, Chrissy Joy.  Has your son had his blood work done yet?

I'm just giving in and going to the dr.  Last night she woke up with a temp that was over 105.  (I think I'm kinda foggy because of the night we had ::).)  We gave her Motrin again and gave her another tepid bath.

So anyway, I called the pediatrician and asked his nurse what she thought.  Now I am bringing her in.  Thankfully the pediatrician is REALLY cool.  He let's the parents make the decisions for their own children - if you know what I mean?!!! ;)  It is such a blessing to get into him, especially at the last minute, He is the MOST popular of the three pediatricians in the office and it usually takes days to be able to get into him.  Huge answer to prayer!!!

I'll let you know if he says anything helpful.

Offline samsgal

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:30:10 PM »
Okay, so we went to our favorite pediatrician.  It was an ear-infection.  My husband checked again when we got home with our odoscope (sp?) Anyway, he could see the infection too.  So, an ear infection that doesn't hurt?  Well, I just wish mine would have been like that when I was a kid! :D  LOL!!!

So, yes she's on antibiotic.   :P  I'm just so glad to know what was going on with her!!!

BTW, for fevers over 103.5 they suggested we alternate between Tylenol and Motrin  every 3 hours.*

*Please ask your dr. if that is okay for your child!!

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »
very interesting....no we have it done tomorrow morning...an ear infection ... I wonder... will she eat when she has the high temp?

Offline samsgal

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »
She doesn't eat as much as usual.  But then it's hard to tell because I am extra fussy what she does eat when she is that bad off!  She ate really well this morning and is definitely doing better.  She slept all night last night and is improving quickly ;D

Let me know what the blood test shows!!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »
Chrissy Joy, You might think about getting an otoscope so you can check her ears yourself. We got one several years ago that includes tips for noses & a tongue depressor attachment at Walgreen's. I don't know the brand but it ran about $30- money well spent. I know that you are planning to move out of the country eventually so it would be a very good thing to take with you- personally I would take 2 in case 1 got lost or broken & extra bulbs. They usually use batteries which means that it would be easy to use anywhere. I think that every family should have one- it's so helpful to be able to monitor ear, nose & throat yourself. We use it to keep an eye on things when anyone is sick. Even the kids (12 & 14yrs) are learning how to use it. I  went on-line to show the kids pictures of what a normal eardrum & an infected eardrum looks like. Just thought that I would mention it. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 12:57:11 PM »
Thank you...I was wondering abuot that when Samsgal mentioned having one...I'll have to check our local walgreens...definately a good investment...Thanks for the idea, I was wondering where/ how much I could get one for.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 01:34:43 PM »
Walgreens just happened to be where I got mine & around $30 was what I paid several years ago. I'm sure that most pharmacies carry them & the price may be different. The way I see it, if your going to get one for ears pay the little bit extra & get the one that includes at least the nose tip- 1 of the scopes I have includes a tongue depressor attachment but that is optional. I'm not positive but I think I have seen them before where they do NOT have the magnifying lens- don't bother- you can't see enough in the ear without a magnifier to do any good. I've tried with just the penlight part when the kids misplaced the magnifier & it was an exercise in frustration.

I have 2 scopes- I have this one:

Notoco Earscope

that I picked up second hand & I have the one that I got several years ago from Walgreens that includes the nose tip & a tongue depressor tip. I don't know the brand of it though, it is packed somewhere in one of my boxes.   

Here's a link with a great picture of a good & an infected eardrum:

Easy Ear Scope

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 09:13:03 AM by herbalmom »

Offline samsgal

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 02:17:53 PM »
Our Otoscope is is a Piccolight F.O.  I'm not much more help than that though because we got ours at a discount from DH's mom who used to work for a hospital supply place.

Thanks to Herbalmom for the picture.  We've had our otoscope for a while now and not used it that much because we just weren't sure what to look for.  But to be able to figure these things out on our own - wonderful!  :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 02:44:47 PM »
Thanks to Herbalmom for the picture.  We've had our otoscope for a while now and not used it that much because we just weren't sure what to look for.  But to be able to figure these things out on our own - wonderful!  :)

Your welcome. When oldest DS was a baby & toddler he had A LOT of ear infections. I always paid attention when the would say "it looks good, white & shiny" or "mmm.. that one's red & dull" & then they would turn to me & say yep, he has an infection so when I found a scope I was able to figure it out but pictures helped SO much in teaching DH & the kids what to look for.

A good way of doing it is to get practice in when everything is normal so you know what to compare it to & learn what is normal for each person in the family.

BTW, just so everyone knows, Otitis Media which is the medical term means "ear inflammation" NOT "ear infection" like most people think. An ear is infected when there is infected gook behind it but it can get inflammed from allergies. Antibiotics will NOT help allergies & in fact will make Leaky Gut & allergies worse. In my DS's case, most of his were allergic reactions & all the antibiotics were unnecessary. Now the medical recommendation is to wait,  keep an eye on it & see if it will clear up without antibiotics anyways but at the time it was to give antibiotics at the 1st flush of pink. We found out that they would go away on their own once the allergic food left his system.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom