Author Topic: Hunza No Hunger Bread recipe??  (Read 5614 times)

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
Hunza No Hunger Bread recipe??
« on: April 15, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Does anyone happen to have the recipe that was from the Hunzas and is referred to as the "no hunger bread"?? I found places on the web advertising it but they want $7.

Thanks so much!
Keeper
Kathleen :)

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
Re: Hunza No Hunger Bread recipe??
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 10:50:41 AM »
Is the same bread that is talked about in Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures book? 

I think I searched for it on the web after I read the book, but didnt find it for FREE.  Sorry I am not much help.  It does sound good, doesnt it?

Kay
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:18:43 AM »
I have the almost exact recipe; let me see if I can dig it out.  My husband loves to fix this bread for an apetite suppresant.  Be back.....
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 01:58:34 PM »
Thanks!

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to it. Neat to hear it worked for someone!

Keeper :)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 05:09:24 AM »
I found this site with variations of the Hunza Bread recipe:
http://www.philkaplan.com/thefitnesstruth/update_11_3_01.htm

The little reading I have done seems to suggest that this is a nutrient and fiber dense bread that uses unrefined grains and no refined sugar. However, I couldn't get a good feel for whether or not this was a flat bread or a loaf.

Here are the recipes that are listed on the above link:

RECIPE 1
    2 cups of stone ground whole wheat flour or a mix of whole grain flours
    1/2 teaspoon iodized sea salt
    1/4 to 1 cup glacier milk (glacier milk is mineral rich water that flows from glaciers. The calcium carbonate content gives it a milky appearance) or . . . water

Blend flour and salts together.Stir in just enough water (glacier milk) to make a very stiff dough. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Cover with a moist paper towel and set aside for 15-30 minutes. Break dough into one inch balls and roll the balls into very thin flat circles. Bake for 10 minutes on a hot lightly oiled griddle over a low heat. Turn often during cooking.

As you can guess, this recipe comes with marketing material for colloidal minerals to create your own "glacial milk." It was given to me by an independent distributor (an issue I'll address in a future update) for Microhydrin.

RECIPE 2
    1 cup millet flour
    1 cup grated carrots
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon iodized salt
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 eggs

Combine flour, carrots, oil, honey, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly. Stir in 3/4 cup of boiling water. Beat the egg yolks and mix the beaten yolks with 2 tablespoons of cold water. Once the water and egg yolks are well mixed, add to the flour mixture. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites and bake at 325 for 35-45 minutes.

RECIPE 3
4 cups of water
3.5 (three & one half) to 4 pounds of natural buckwheat or millet flour
1.5 (one & one half) cups of canola oil
1.5 (one & one half) cups of natural unrefined sugar
16 ounces of honey
16 ounces of molasses
4 ounces of powdered soya milk (half cup)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder

You may also add apricots, raisins, chopped walnuts, almonds, sliced dates to the above ingredients. Mix ingredients. Grease and lightly flour cooking pan(s). Ideally use baking trays with about 1 inch high sides. Pour batter in pan(s) half an inch thick over the base. Bake at about 300 degrees farenheit (150 C.) for 1 hour. After cooking, dry the bread in the oven for two (2) hours at a very low heat - 90 degrees farenheit (50 C). After it is cooled tip out and cut into approx 2 inch x 2 inch squares. Store it wrapped in cloth in a container. You may need to repeat the baking depending on the size of your baking pan, and oven, until all the mixture has been used.

I haven't tried any of these recipes. I found another recipe that makes a type of loaf at this site offered for $2. So, my guess is that there are many recipes out there that offer a variation with similar results.
http://www.lowsodiumliving.com/hunza.htm

Has anyone tried this? What were your results?
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »
Interesting recipes. Little or no leavening! Seems like you could take a batter bread recipe - add healthy ingredients, substitute unhealthy ingredients, take out most of the leavening, and you'd have a really dense bread that kept you full for a while.

What's that elf bread they ate in Lord of the Rings? I'd like the recipe for that!

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 04:49:59 PM »
Thanks for all of the info and I agree with Julia of sunnyside...sounds like it can be made from several things to hold off hunger...and leave out the leavening...

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
I have run across one recipe that uses yeast and bread flour, but to my eye, it doesn't look very good.

I'm working on coming up with my own recipe that is gluten free, sugar free and soaked grain. I'll let you know how it turns out . . .

I've seen five methods recommended for using the bread:

Method 1
Eat 1 piece of bread every 4 hours during the 16 hours you are awake. Each piece is supposed to equal about 100 calories, so you would be eating 400 calories per day. No other food is consumed.

Method 2
Eat 2 pieces of bread every 4 hours for a total of 800 calories in one day. It should be difficult to hold this much of the filling bread.

Method 3
Eat 1 piece of bread for breakfast and 3 hours before your lunch. The third hour is when you will feel the most full after eating the bread.

Method 4
Eat 1 piece of bread 10 minutes before you eat a meal. This curbs your appetite and reduces the amount you consume during a meal.

Method 5
Eat the bread after low calorie meals that don't fill you up. This will round out the corners of your hunger and prevent overeating.

Method 6
Alternate methods 1-5

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 04:37:05 AM »
Here what we found.  My husband has used this recipe before.  It's something you have to get used to; but we really thought it helped hunger pains.

4 cups of water
3.5(three & one-half) to 4 pounds of buckwheat or millet flour
1.5 (one & one-half) cups of coconut oil
1.5 (one & one-half) cups of natural unrefined sugar
16 ounces of honey
4 ounces of powdered whey(one-half cup)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder (non-aluminium)

You can also add apricots, raisons, chopped walnuts, almonds, or sliced dates, whatever you prefer.

Mix all the ingredients.  Grease and lightly flour your cooking pans.  Ideally, use baking trays with 1-inch-high sides.  Pour batter into pans to a level of one-half an inch deep.  Bake at about 300 degrees Farenheit(150 C) for 1 hour.  After baking, dry the bread in the oven for two hours at a very low heat---90 degrees Farenheit(50 C).  After the bread has cooled, remove it from the baking pan and cut into approximately 2 inch X 2inch squares.  Store in wrapped in cloth in a container.

You may need to repeat the baking depending on the size of your baking pan and oven util all of the mixture has been baked.

* We  have left out whey and honey before and it turned out okay. It was just more dense.  Happing bread making.

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline SC

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 05:51:36 AM »
Here is my experimental recipe. It has a nice crunchy-chewy texture. The dried fruit is optional. Also, I think I will reduce the honey and maple syrup to 3/4 cups each. It isn't birthday cake sweet, but I think I could do with less of those two ingredients.

Soaked grain, gluten free Hunza
1 cups whey
3 cups filtered water
3 pounds fresh ground millet flour
(I weigh the seeds and then grind them in an electric coffee grinder. After grinding, the flour measures about 8 cups)

1 cup organic, sulfur free raisins
1 cup organic, pitted dates, chopped
1 cup organic, sulfur free dried cranberries
1 cups coconut oil
1 cups raw honey
1 cups grade B maple syrup
cup psyllium seed husk
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)

Combine whey, water and millet flour in large stainless steel or glass container. Blend well and cover. Let stand overnight in a warm space (6 to 8 hours). I place mine in the oven with the door ajar and the light on leaving it closed would be too warm.

The next day, remove the bowl from the oven. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add remaining ingredients to the millet flour mixture. Mix well. The batter will be fairly liquid. Lightly oil pans that have at least 1 inch sides. Place parchment paper on the bottom. I use two cookie pans. Place batter in pans 1/2 inch thick. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour. Turn oven off without opening. Leave the oven light on and allow to sit in the oven, undisturbed for 2 more hours.

Once cooled, cut the bread into 2 x 2 inch squares. Wrap the bread in cloth and place in sealed containers to be stored in the refrigerator. Makes about 60 squares.

I'm munching on mine now. It's like a really dense, sort of grainy, coffee cake.

Offline keeperathome77

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 01:54:04 PM »
Thank you SC and mamaoffour for the recipes...and the methods on how to use the bread!

Keeper :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:55:03 PM »
Above Rubies:

MILLET HUNZA BREAD

1 cup millet flour (grind the millet in what grinder or coffee grinder)

1 cup grated carrots

1 Tbs. honey

1 Tbs. sea salt I think this may supposed to be 1 teaspoon.  Our was too salty

2 Tbs. oil (coconut oil, red palm oil or olive oil)

2 eggs

Combine in bowl flour, carrots, oil, honey and salt.

Mix well, and then stir in cup boiling hot water into the mixture.

Beat egg yolks well, adding 2 Tbs. cold water, continue to beat and add to mixture.

Beat egg whites stiffly and fold in.

Bake in hot oiled pan a 350 for 40 minutes.

You can make sweet bread by adding raisins, dates, apricots or chopped walnuts and almonds. Or you can make savory bread by adding your favorite spices.

We had it plain and it was good--soft, like a cornbread, but too salty (and I like salt).  I suspect the measurements could be off. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:42:20 AM by Yooper »