Author Topic: Is Coconut Oil used solid or melted?  (Read 6171 times)

Offline firecattx

• Adept
Is Coconut Oil used solid or melted?
« on: April 13, 2007, 06:30:52 PM »
I have read the 10 pages of info on coconut oil and my head is swimming!  My question is, how do you use coconut oil if it is a solid?  If I want to use a couple Tbs a day as a supplement do I have to melt it first or can I scoop out a Tbs and add it to a smoothie etc.  Also, if I am using it in a recipe do I just measure it as a solid or do I have to melt it first.  If I have to melt it, what is the best way to do this? Thanks!

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
Re: Is Coconut Oil used solid or melted?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 07:04:07 PM »
i usually measure it as a "solid"  :)  haven't used it in smoothies yet. 8)
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 12:28:15 AM »
It can be used both ways.   Below 70 degrees as a solid, and above as a liquid. 
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline papercraftr

• The Callis Family
  • Adept
  • Eden & Baby Hope
    • The Home Grown Family
TIPs for melting/sharing/using COCONUT OIL
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:53:09 AM »
I have read the 10 pages of info on coconut oil and my head is swimming!  My question is, how do you use coconut oil if it is a solid?  If I want to use a couple Tbs a day as a supplement do I have to melt it first or can I scoop out a Tbs and add it to a smoothie etc.  Also, if I am using it in a recipe do I just measure it as a solid or do I have to melt it first.  If I have to melt it, what is the best way to do this? Thanks!

You can either melt or use solid in recipes or taking internally the ratio is 1:1 solid or liquid. 

I usually ingest LIQUID coconut oil by the spoonful followed by something to drink.  The kind I use is really light in flavor and substance so it's just the mental thought of getting past eating a spoonful of oil.  I've tried spooning it solid, but again, it's mentally the thought of eating oil in chunks is 'hard to swallow.' ;) 

SMOOTHIES:  When using it in smoothies, I use it melted and wait to pour it into the smoothie when there's a downward funnel of fluid the blender.  This insures that the coconut oil is evenly distributed and not in chunks when finished.

TO MELT your coconut oil.  Melting point of coconut oil is 76-deg.  Upon skin contact, it melts immediately (body temp 98-deg).  If you need to warm a larger quantity into a liquid DO NOT MICROWAVE.  I usually melt mine in a smaller container (jar, cup bowl) in a bath of HOT tap water.  You can also used boiled water if you need it faster. 

I have customers that have shared the 5-gallon pails (more cost effective) with friends/family and put the pail in a bathtub of hot water or near the warmed wood stove overnight to melt the HUGE quantities [watch that the pail doesn't melt near a very hot wood stove].  They'll then pour off into smaller containers for sharing (quart jars or 1-gallon pails).

I used to have a pilot light on my old Wedgewood stove and I'd keep a jar on there to have liquid always on hand.  Now that we live in colder climate, I usually have to warm up my squeeze bottle (generic condiment bottle from Smart N Final) in a cup.  That way I have it quickly at hand and only need to warm up a little at a time.

Hope this helps . . . :)
Charity
(coconut oil consumer for 5 years)

:*``*::*``*::*``*::*``*:

Brian, Charity
Jimella, Eden, Philip, David, Mark, Abigail,
Meorah, Merry, Titus & Hope CALLIS
www.TheHomeGrownFamily.com
Coconut/Palm Oil | ERGO baby carriers | Grain Mills | BOSCH | Natural Products
Toll Free 1 877 841 2861

Offline Janacat

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 05:37:29 AM »
The coconut oil I use say that the jar will last about 3 years. I have Tropical Traditions. I use for my skin. It will soften and may "melt" on it's own, but that is okay. I found several testimonies on www.coconutdiet.com.