Author Topic: Perineal [Vaginal] Tearing from Childbirth: Healing & Pain Relief  (Read 35303 times)

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
Re: Perineal [Vaginal] Tearing from Childbirth: Healing & Pain Relief
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2007, 05:12:34 AM »
Four days postpartum I started hurting from my tear down through my thighs.  The next day I thought I had the flu.  I had a fever and was freezing cold.  All through the night I soaked my sheets from sweating and then was cold again.  My tear isn't feeling right and the lochia is almost a yellow in color.  I think I have an infection.  I have plantain, comfry, garlic and coloidal silver on hand.  What should I use?

I'm sorry! I don't have any helpful thoughts but will be praying for you! Did you use a midwife/OB/Gyn? Maybe this is one of those times to call the doc...Just my opinion. Hopefully, someone else will see this and chime in too!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2007, 05:40:22 AM »
I think I would take an epson salt bath and then add a comfrey poultice to speed healing.I would also add goot at other times like all night long.

Em

Offline wyomama3

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2007, 06:03:36 AM »
With my second I tore north, south, east and west, they used yards of suture and a catheter.  After coming home I felt the soreness getting worse.  Around 10 days I asked my dh to take a look  :-[, something was not right.  He watched them stitch me up and new what the fresh wound looked like.  When he checked at home he said, 'honey, we need to go to the doctor".  I am so glad I had him look because my sutures were not dissolving like they should have and were infected.  Yes, they were painful to have removed, but I felt MUCH better in a few days. 
BTW- even months later I would find small pieces of suture when I wiped.

Offline Livelovely

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 09:55:38 AM »
Well, my midwide said that the repair looks great and that my body just got bamboozled by something from just getting over being sick, having my husband out of town then having a baby and I was a little low on the immunity stick.  She did say to use my confry salve to speed things up and to go take a nap so that's what I'm going to do.  Thaks all!
Mama, is your name Honey or just Mama?

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2007, 04:34:00 PM »
Just some thoughts...:)

I had some tearing/trauma from my 10 # baby...The Golden Salve was awesome..specifically recommended for perineal healing from the 1cascade company for home birth supplies.  I did herbal sitz baths (which I thought helped) and those ice pack/maxi pads for 24-48 hours for swelling (which I don't know that I'd use again...I have new ideas on swelling being a good thing for healing).

As far as preventative measures, my midwife said that soap really dries out vaginal tissue, and recommended mild cleansers for that (or see "Skipping the Soap" thread).  :)  She also said that poor eaters really tear (tissue is made of what we eat)...she sees that time and time again, AND if they have legs spread a la hospital stirrups position...

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »
so I just had my 3rd and had a very slight tear on the perinium...we opted not to glue or stitch it...I  sat tight for the first week, but hubby is back  to work and I'm  having to do a few things around the house. The tear does not look any better than when I saw my midwife at week 1. The skin is healing but its not healing back together. After my 2nd I had a slight tear as well that never healed back together...I'm worried that a few more babies and I might just have one big hole here... :) My midwife promises me this one will fuse back together but I'm just wondering how...anyone have experience with a tear that wasn't glued or stitched healing back together after 2 1/2 weeks...it seem like if it hasn't fused back yet, its not going to...am I missing something? :)

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
so I just had my 3rd and had a very slight tear on the perinium...we opted not to glue or stitch it...I  sat tight for the first week, but hubby is back  to work and I'm  having to do a few things around the house. The tear does not look any better than when I saw my midwife at week 1. The skin is healing but its not healing back together. After my 2nd I had a slight tear as well that never healed back together...I'm worried that a few more babies and I might just have one big hole here... :) My midwife promises me this one will fuse back together but I'm just wondering how...anyone have experience with a tear that wasn't glued or stitched healing back together after 2 1/2 weeks...it seem like if it hasn't fused back yet, its not going to...am I missing something? :)
It will fuse together, it may just heal funny. Probably the sides of the tear did not match up properly and the edges of the tear are still jagged. Just guessing, I wasn't there. ;) No, you won't just have a hole there.
With our last live birth I tore and we used comfrey poultices in gauze and comfrey for perineal rinsing. I would say they were 2nd degree tears and this healed them shut in 1-2 days. It is important to not continue the poultice after the tear begins to heal. I had a client who kept on doing it and it actually ended up holding the tears open. She ended up with them healing eith jagged edges, that's why I'm guessing, from what you've described, that's what's going on with you. Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »
Ok - so this is really difficult for me to talk about, but I'm really at a loss for what I can do... I hope some of you mommies out there can help.

I had a 2nd degree tear when I had the baby 7 weeks ago. The doctor said, "no intercourse for 6 weeks", so I obeyed his orders. Truthfully, it took almost the full 6 weeks for my stitching to heal. So now, he says, "You have the green light." The problem is, I've got some scar tissue there and he said it might take months to fully heal. After shoving an 8 lb. + baby through my birth canal, I really never imagined that this area would be too tight, but it is! DH doesn't fit anymore and when we try I can't help but cry in pain. It's as though the scar tissue area no longer stretches the way it used to. Any recommendations? I am going to try something like a perineal massage on the area, but am not sure what else we can do, and poor husband has been waiting for a VERY long time already!

Help!?!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 01:57:27 PM »
Just take it easy and I think Having him do the P.massage would help the best.

I have been there/It is awful. :'(  Time and persistence will do it.It has been just over 2 yrs and I am still sore at times.But nothing like before.Your body will just need to get better accustomed to it again.

Em

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 02:25:05 PM »
I don't have any personal experience in this area but but I have read that aloe vera helps heal scar tissue. You can drink the juice (or take pills) and it can be used to douche. Might be worth a try. Hope you heal soon!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
llaaalllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I would use Vitamin e for the perineal stretching since it is good for scar tissue. I would also recommend the coconut oil for a lube...\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:56:49 AM by mykidsmama »

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
I was just looking into some herbs w/ breastfeeding today and I thought I read NOT to take aloe internally when breastfeeding...I was thinking of drinking some juice in hopes of it helping heal my tear, but  was glad I hadn't when I read that...so look into that one...it might have just been that site...I don't know if its really bad or not...just a thought.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
It will fuse together, it may just heal funny. Probably the sides of the tear did not match up properly and the edges of the tear are still jagged. Just guessing, I wasn't there. ;) No, you won't just have a hole there.
With our last live birth I tore and we used comfrey poultices in gauze and comfrey for perineal rinsing. I would say they were 2nd degree tears and this healed them shut in 1-2 days. It is important to not continue the poultice after the tear begins to heal. I had a client who kept on doing it and it actually ended up holding the tears open. She ended up with them healing eith jagged edges, that's why I'm guessing, from what you've described, that's what's going on with you. Amy

i didn't see it but they said it was a really smooth tear and it sat together really nice ??? how would I do a comfrey poultice and how often...it has already begun to  heal ... and the skin is healing on both sides of the tear just not together ... does that make sense? I did comfrey baths ??

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 05:28:55 PM »
Some preventative measures for perenial tears are a nourishing diet for tissue integrity and strength (whole grains, nuts and seeds which contain a high amount of natural vitamin E, good nutrition prior to and during pregnancy, consider what germ oil supplementation if tissue integrity is in question. Do not overdo vitamin E supplementation though...it can cause a placenta to implant too deeply into the uterine wall.), perenial massage and not blasting baby out (when you feel the ring of fire that means tissues are stretching and take that as a cue to gently push baby's head out!). Also, certain pushing positions are better than others for minimizing tears. The side lying position brings about a slower birth and the fewest perenial tears. With my first I HAD to squat though because I would have been pushing for way more than an hour otherwise!

If mom gets a tear:

Comfrey Rinse. 1 ounce of comfrey leaves, 1 ounce of Echinachea, 1 pinch of golden seal. Bring the above herbs to a slow boil in one quart of water. Turn off heat and let steep one hour. Store in refrigerator and use as a perenial rinse with each bathroom visit. Can be used as an herbal compress by soaking sterile gauze and applying to the lacerated or stitched area.

Lavender baths. 5-7 drops in 8 inches of warm water for a week to ten days for 20 minutes for healing for a sore perenial area.

Light therapy. Sit with bottom up in the sunlight for 15 to 30 minutes several times daily. You can use a 40 to 60 watt light bulb held one foot from the bottom for 10-15 minutes for similar results.

Keep knees together. It's really important to stay in a reclining or semi-reclining position with knees together until healing of perineal tissue is underway.

Kegels (before and after birth) to hold up and support mom's internal structures and can help hold together any tissue that has torn until healing can occur.

Sources: Naturally Healthy Pregnancy by Shonda Parker, Birthing From Within, and The Birth Book.

I have never torn but have had a tender and sore perenium though. I like to do a healing herb bath soon after birth, the lavendar baths and to use a pernial wash of water with a few drops of tea tree oil instead of wiping for the first few days or so pp.  I'd like to have some comfrey on hand for this birth just in case I tear too. A mom mentioned in this thread that she tore with her fourth? birth. I would have never guessed! I figured when you've birthed 3 without a tear that your probably gonna be just fine. I'm about to have my fourth :).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:09:49 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline newmamapjp

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »
For anyone still searching. I tore pretty minor with my baby. He's my first and I just had him about 2 months ago. I put Eden Salve on my pad before I put it on. Putting it in my pad helped heal my tear quickly, lessen my swelling, and it helped with the pain A LOT!!! And overall it felt good to have the smooth oils touching me instead of the inside of the scratchy pad. I was healed within a week! I also did kegels and rinsed with just warm water every time I went to the bathroom with a spray bottle. I also noticed when I couldn't use my Eden Salve a couple of times I was very sore! My midwife also liked the way I healed. Hope this will help someone.

Offline joy b

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2009, 06:09:23 PM »
This may sound crazy but I am not sure if I really tore or not.  Things look different, but I don't really hurt much.  Something changed and my husband and I were wondering if part of my hymen was still intact and tore.   ???  Have any of you had experience with that?  After the birth, I asked if I tore and the midwife and my mom (who was helping) didn't think so.  It feels more like it did after our wedding night.  :-\ 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »
If you're not having pain with regular daily activities, then you more than likely didn't tear.  But your birth canal is/was still traumatized...sort of like perforated, or stretched where it will need to heal.  It's normal, and created to undergo that sort of strain and then heal back.  Give yourself time to heal up.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
Comfrey poultices, a perineum rinse infusion with comfrey, and comfrey salve are all wonderful for perineal healing after childbirth! It's my #1 herb for tears or general perineal soothing and healing.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:55:46 PM by boysmama »

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
I have also been told guava leaf is great for this. Make a tea out of it and use it as a wash.

It is also great for hemorrhoids.