Author Topic: papaya may lead to infertility?  (Read 6918 times)

Offline panmamma

• Adept
    • Buy toys and Help our children's home build.....
papaya may lead to infertility?
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:24:28 AM »
ok, I know that sounds crazy, but google it.....but my question is......how much would one have to take?
My ob/gyn here said he had a friend whose wife was from the phillippines. She was having a terribel time getting preggo with #2 and had a few miscarriages as well. My dr told her to stop her  daily intake of papaya as the enzymes weaken or do something to keep one from getting pregnant anyway. She did and sure enough she got pregnant.
now, oh wise women in welltellmeland.......opinions? I ask cause I have started having papaya in my smoothie in the AM, not alot mind you, but have decided not every day. We want to try for #4 next month..at least start......... ;D
Deana in Taiwan
married 11 wonderful years to Luke
mommy to 4 bilingual blessings
our websites: www.mlchome.org  
www.blessedtoys.com/members/mlchome/
www.homeschoolblogger.com/panshrmu

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
Re: papaya may lead to infertility?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 09:05:26 AM »
I have not ever heard that before. My question is how much was the lady taking? I just can't see someone not getting prego from a little papaya.... interesting.

I didn't realize it was you until I saw your homeschoolblogger address! LOL
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:12:13 AM »
i read about this somewhere...i thought it was the guy though...i would be interested in natural birthcontrol papaya info...i will see what i can find

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »
Yes, papaya does affect fertility and DOES cause miscarriage.  Hawaiians have used it traditionally to induce abortions.  Not sure how much, but mostly unripe and/or the seeds- which are used in differenht ways but daily/common meals in Hawaii and the Phillipines.  I too am pregnant and eat fresh papaya, ripe, but not in abundance and not daily.  I haven't had any ill effects that I know of.  I will be increasing it more at the end to help get things going if need be.

Side note, it is also high in latex content- so be careful handling/eating if you are sensitive. :)

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »
Wow, I had never heard of that before.  I ate so much papaya when I was prego with my first son.  He is still alive!

Offline Mrs. Davis

• Mrs. Davis
  • Adept
    • New Life Birth Services
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 11:23:32 AM »
Women in Pakistan, India and Sri Lanka and other parts of the world have long used papaya as a folk remedy for contraception and abortion. Medical research in animals has confirmed the contraceptive and abortifacient capability of papaya, and also found that papaya seeds have contraceptive effects in adult male langur monkeys, possibly in adult male humans as well.  Unripe papaya is especially effective, in large amounts or high doses. Papaya is not teratogenic and will not cause miscarriage in small, ripe amounts. Phytochemicals in papaya may suppress the effects of progesterone.

I found this on Wikipedia.  I also read the same thing at other sites.  Seeing that it suppresses the effects of progesterone would make sense as to why women wouldn't get pregnant.  It would appear that it would make the lining of the uterus unable to handle a fertilized egg.  I am thinking that once the egg is implanted it would be ok. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:26:00 AM by Mrs. Davis »

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:08:25 PM »
  I too am pregnant and eat fresh papaya, ripe, but not in abundance and not daily.  I haven't had any ill effects that I know of.  I will be increasing it more at the end to help get things going if need be.

Great idea.  And I bet it tastes better than castor oil!   ;)
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline panmamma

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 03:56:06 PM »
so then it's the seeds or unripe papaya? hmmmmmm!! interesting, very interesting..........so eating my ripened papaya in my smoothie won't cause any difficulties then.....
Deana in Taiwan

Offline panmamma

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
I have not ever heard that before. My question is how much was the lady taking? I just can't see someone not getting prego from a little papaya.... interesting.

I didn't realize it was you until I saw your homeschoolblogger address! LOL

yup it's me!! thanks for being the first one to answer the pineapple question....I'll share the results next week, waiting to see if anyone else answers.....thanks for reading my blog!! sometimes I wonder if I am just writing to myself (wel, my dad reads it I know)
Deana in Taiwan