Author Topic: Yeast and Hormone Connection?  (Read 3984 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Yeast and Hormone Connection?
« on: March 22, 2007, 06:34:13 PM »
A friend of mine asked the following question. Has anybody experienced these symptoms and if so - what was the cause?

A couple months ago I think I had a yeast infection.  I wasn't sure b/c I have never had one before. I didn't go the Dr. either.  It wasn't terribly itchy as some ladies I asked had said, but it did itch on and off.  I never did anything and it really doesn't bother me except once in awhile it will be overly sensitive "down there"  Now my question is this...  Can an untreated yeast infection cause your hormones to go haywire???  I was always very regular and now I am NOT! I am getting my period every 21-25 days. My breasts are sore, like when you are first pregnant (which I am NOT) and I bleed longer than normal, or spot rather.  I was talking to Mom and she suggested I contact you.

She later mentioned that her last period lasted 16 days. She is around 30 years old.

Thanks for any insight,

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: Yeast and Hormone Connection?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 07:03:49 PM »
A friend of mine asked the following question. Has anybody experienced these symptoms and if so - what was the cause?

A couple months ago I think I had a yeast infection.  I wasn't sure b/c I have never had one before. I didn't go the Dr. either.  It wasn't terribly itchy as some ladies I asked had said, but it did itch on and off.  I never did anything and it really doesn't bother me except once in awhile it will be overly sensitive "down there"  Now my question is this...  Can an untreated yeast infection cause your hormones to go haywire???  I was always very regular and now I am NOT! I am getting my period every 21-25 days. My breasts are sore, like when you are first pregnant (which I am NOT) and I bleed longer than normal, or spot rather.  I was talking to Mom and she suggested I contact you.

She later mentioned that her last period lasted 16 days. She is around 30 years old.

Thanks for any insight,

Rebekah

It sounds like she could have a yeast overgrowth not just a vaginal yeast infection. I have a bad yeast/fungus overgrowth & my hormones are messed up. I get uncomfortable "down there" & dry but don't have much itching, only once in a while, & not the intense,"yeast infection" itch. I've had the yeast/fungus overgrowth most of my life but I have only had the typical intense itch thing 1-3 times my entire life & I'm 40.

Anyway, yeast, fungus, mycotoxins, (toxins from yeast, mold & fungus) & antibiotics (which are mycotoxins, BTW) all can mess up your hormones. Once they get a foothold in the body, they will actually manipulate your hormones to the way they prefer it to help them thrive & grow.

To find out more about this check out the web site Know the Cause & Doug Kaufmann's books. Here's a link for Know the Cause:

Know the Cause

Read the articles on the site. I wish his site gave more info but the basic idea is that yeast, (MANY types, not just Candida) fungus, mycotoxins (toxins from molds & fungus- antibiotics are actually mycotoxins) antibiotics, molds, etc cause MANY diseases & illnesses, many more than most people realize. He has the documentation & he explains it in a way that makes sense. I've known about yeast for over 20 years but only found out about the mycotoxin & fungus parts for the last 1 1/2years or so & it really has proven to be a BIG part of the puzzle on restoring my health. 

Have your friend check the yeast & hormone threads also.

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline mishy

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 01:37:45 AM »

Thanks for any insight,

Rebekah

Some of this is the same as what I was experiencing.  I didn't have any vaginal problems, but my breast and under my armpits are sometime sore (never had that before), my periods were off- same as she described, but not lasting 16 days! There were normal length, but heavy and closer together.
My conclusion:  my body is falling apart now that I turned 30.  haha.  Just kidding.
The Bone Ami was the "magic" that got my period back on track.  I now have the regular 30 or so days and it is back to my regular flow. 
Sometimes my breast, armpits are still sore and I still suffer from a mild headache before I start my period and I still have pain in the middle of my body that the doc couldn't figure out.

So, there is my story if it helps any..... and if anyone has anything to offer for me!
I am going to read up on the yeast connection herbalmom listed. 

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:39:00 AM »
So, there is my story if it helps any..... and if anyone has anything to offer for me!
I am going to read up on the yeast connection herbalmom listed. 

Reminds me of some posts of SC's in the Hormone Imbalance (Estrogen Dominance) thread.

Basically, you can have Hormone Imbalance for a while...but it doesn't begin showing up (for some) until 30s. Then, your symptoms get more extreme as you age.

Just a thought. I'd check it out
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3764.msg26946.html#msg26946
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 04:51:46 AM »
Based on your symptoms, I would guess that you may have developed a fibroid cyst (extra bleeding, spotting, etc).  These are the symptoms I was having and I had an ultrasound done when the doc discovered the cyst. 

I think candida overgrowth (yeast) can be a contributor to this condition in the first place, but the vaginal itching may not be yeast at all.  I had the same thing every month during day 6-15 of my period.  I treated for yeast and this helped with the discomfort, but the symptoms returned every month on the cycle.  I also never got severe symtpoms (burning, itching, discolored skin) that often accompanies a yeast infection.  I was talking to my SIL and we got to thinking that maybe this burning/itching could be some sort of pH imbalance due to the fibroid.

I wouldn't rule out candida entirely, it may very well be a factor, but it may not be your only problem.  Progesteron therapy seems to be effective at treating cysts and many other hormone imbalances, but if you do have candida, the progesteron can be converted into sugar by the candida, making your original condition worse.  For more info on how to decide your best course of action, read these threads and look at the related symptoms.

If you have yeast, I would treat that first and then procede with any hormone treatment, but that's JMO.  :)

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?

Estrogen Dominance & Other Hormone Imbances: Causes & Cures

My favorite herb book!!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 05:04:30 AM »
Thanks, ladies,
I just realized I probably should have posted my original email response to her as well. I was unsure though because of the sore breasts and long periods. hb's almost identical experience seems to be the answer. What did you do to get rid of the cyst, hb - if you did get rid of it? Was it by following the anti-yeast plan you listed below?

Thanks again,

Rebekah

As far as your health goes, my first inclination is to say the hormone problems existed further back than you were aware of. Elevated Estrogen levels can lead to Yeast infections because Estrogen hinders the flushing of sugars from your body, and yeast grows on sugar.

I'd like to copy and paste your question on WellTellMe.com forum (minus your name) and see if any of the women there have experienced your symptoms, and what they did for it. It's likely you'll get a good answer there. You can post it yourself if you want, or I will if you don't mind.

My first guess at how to treat yourself would be two fold:

Simultaneously go on a Yeast and sugar free diet, while taking a probiotic and an anti-yeast supplement for a month. Beeyoutiful.com sells Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up, or you can just go to your local healthfood store and ask them for something.

Secondly, I recommend taking Evening Primrose oil for your hormone balance. It straightens out  female problems wonderfully! You can also get that at Beeyoutiful.com - or buy it at your healthfood store. You can also ask for a hormone balance herbal blend. But I recommend Evening Primrose the most.

Try to drink enough water and get exercize every day - this balances your Progesterone and Estrogen levels. Also avoid meats with hormones - almost anything that is not specific labeled "hormone free" and also avoid soy products, and foods with soy in them. Soy spikes the Estrogen levels like no other food.

Rebekah
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 11:33:28 AM »
What did you do to get rid of the cyst, hb - if you did get rid of it? Was it by following the anti-yeast plan you listed below?

I started treating yeast and leaky gut in 04/06.  It didn't occur to me until just this moment, that my cyst related symptoms (bleeding for 15 days each month) didn't start until this same time.  I'm guessing the purging of toxins maybe kicked this into gear.  Anyway, I thought the irritation from the cysts was related to yeast dieoff and continued to treat for yeast.  After 6 months of repeating patterns, I realized there was something else going on and had a trans-vaginal ultrasound done.  They discovered the cyst around 09/06.  The doctor decided not to treat it and then I decided to research it further and decided on homemade wild yam cream for treatment.  The very first month I started using the cream, my cycles shortened to 5 days instead of 15 and I no longer had the irritation that I was getting every month.  Since, (the last 7 months), I've only had one day of odd spotting and I use the progesterone every day (when I remember)  For a couple of months, I didn't use it during my cycle but decided for me, it might be better to continue through my cycle.  As soon as the budget allows, I intend to get another ultrasound, but for now, I have to rely on my symptoms (or lack of) to tell me what's going on.  During this treatment, I have also eliminated as many sources of unfermented soy from my diet as possible.  Soy is reputed to mimic estrogen in the body and contribute to estrogen dominance.

If a person has yeast, it would be most prudent to treat for candida BEFORE going on progesterone therapy.  Two reasons - Candida and Leaky Gut could (and very likely is) one of the primary contributing factors to hormonal imbalance AND progesterone feeds candida and could ultimately make the condition worse or cause it to cycle without forward progress.

One other thing of importance.  Due to major skin itching problems, I discovered that I should stop using products containing SLS.  This was my first major health related discovery.  So I eliminated detergents from my home long before I treated for yeast.  Later during further research, it came to my attention that SLS is a xeno estrogen (mimics estrogen) and therefore can contribute to estrogen dominance which in many cases is another major contributing factor in fibroid cyst development.

I think if I were your friend and I had fibroids, I would go for broke.  Eliminate SLS first, treat for Candida next, then add progesterone therapy next.  All the while attempting to eliminate as many estrogen mimics from the diet as possible - especially unfermented soy products.  This is obviously not something to be accomplished overnight.  From start to finish (discovery of SLS to present) has been about 15 months (or more) and it took me nearly 10 years to figure out where to even start. 

~hth

My favorite herb book!!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 12:18:15 PM »
Okay Ladies, maybe you can help me out.  In spite of all the threads I have been reading, this is the first time I have heard anything that came close to what I am dealing with:

I have always had mild periods with little or no PMS, etc.  They were like clockwork -- 28 day cycles, 7 days long.  After my third child, they are still regular, some water retention, but not much, no PMS.  But now my cycles are 22-24 days long and last 9-10 days.  Yuk!  I recently started taking Supermom, TT, YA and Bone Ami.  We are eating healthy (most of the time ::))  Oh, I am 37 with no weight or health issues.  Also, after the birth of my third child, I bled for about 4 months.  I took Vitex and Alfalfa and it eventually stopped.  For awhile, if I stopped taking the Vitex, I would start bleeding again.  I never have been "right" since.  Any thoughts?  Is this yeast and hormone imbalance? Cysts?  My husband has even suggested that I start taking birth control (and he is usually against doctors methods for dealing with things) to try to shorten the periods.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline EyesOfTheBeholder

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 03:58:46 PM »
Hey Healthy,

Please forgive my ignorance ???
but what is SLS?

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »
Hey Healthy,

Please forgive my ignorance ???
but what is SLS?

Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS)
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:08:51 PM »
bump.
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.  -- Albert Einstein

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 05:18:43 PM »
then I decided to research it further and decided on homemade wild yam cream for treatment.
Hi HB.  Can you tell me how you made the wild yam cream and where do you get wild yam?  Thanks.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
How would you know if you had a hormone imbalance?  What is the test?  Also, what are the symptoms of a cyst?  I am trying to self-diagnose and would love more info.  ???

Offline EyesOfTheBeholder

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »
I also have had some "weird" changes in my body since I turned 30... I am 32 now.

I started gaining weight last year. About 15 lbs. I've always been a small person. 5'2'' 115lbs. (my normal weight) I weigh 127 now.

I have also been VERY irritable about 1 week prior to my period. I retain water. I am very tired. I crave sweets. All this until I start....

I have 3 children 11yr old and 4yr old and 2 yr old.

I have an appointment to see my GYN next month. What kind of "tests" should I ask him to run to check and see if I have a hormonal imbalance?

Thanks Ladies  ;)
Mary

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 02:54:57 PM »
What is the test?   I am trying to self-diagnose and would love more info.  ???

The most accurate way I know of for testing hormones is a saliva test.  It is unlikely your doctor will do it as most do not believe in them (most naturapaths will).  You can purchase your own at www.salivatest.com.  If you only want to know about female hormones you can do the 2 tube test for $150.  If you are concerned you may have adrenal gland burnout you can do the 4 tube test for $245.  The results come with explanations enough that you could come back here and figure out what to do next without really having to see a doctor.  My only caveat to that would be if you need hormone supplementation.  But you can always start with the saliva test and then go from there.  Any blood tests your doctor offers for estrogen, testosterone, progesterone, etc. will not be accurate because they only measure unbound hormone in the blood stream, not what your body is actually taking up and using.  You WILL need your doctor to run a thyroid antibody test, TSH, and Free T3 and Free T4 test.  Although the ranges you'll get back for "normal" won't be correct, you'll know what you're numbers are and most folks here can fill in the blanks with what they "should" be. 

HTH

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 04:39:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The price is pretty steep for me right now, so I will have to hold off on ordering.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »
then I decided to research it further and decided on homemade wild yam cream for treatment.
Hi HB.  Can you tell me how you made the wild yam cream and where do you get wild yam?  Thanks.
Homemade Wild Yam Cream

I got my wild yam root at bulkherbstore.com
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 07:06:05 PM »
Thanks for the info.  The price is pretty steep for me right now, so I will have to hold off on ordering.
Look at your symptoms.  If you have symptoms of hormone imbalance, it's a pretty good sign that you have a problem.  Also consider that it's been determined by many researchers that a large percentage of all Americans suffer from estrogen dominance due to cultural norms in diet and hygiene products.  Oral contraceptives, hormone injected meats, soy products (unfermented) and SLS (detergent found in shampoo, soft soap, toothpaste, etc) are all estrogen mimics and contribute to hormone imbalance.  Candida overgrowth (most common cause is antibiotics) is also a major player in hormone imbalance.  Candida converts available progesterone into sugar and depletes your progesterone levels further contributing to estrogen dominiance.  If you have the symptoms, treatment is in order.  If you treat naturally with diet alterations and eliminations of toxic products, what have you got to lose but an unhealthy lifestyle??  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »
Thank you, HB.  I started Supermoms, and then added YA and TT about two weeks ago.  My skin is much better, but my last period was still way too long (it is also very light).  How long does it normally take for hormones to stabilize?  Also, I am trying to eliminate chemicals in my beauty products.  I now use 100% mineral make-up, and I make my own soap, but the shampoo, conditioner and deodorant have been tougher to let go...  :-\sigh....  I recently bought NT and am starting to implement that in my cooking and we are brewing Kombucha.  Should I still do the Wild Yam Cream?  I'm kinda scared to mess with hormones :-[

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 11:30:27 AM »
One of our daughters and at least thirty other women I've worked with in nearly 30 years have helped ovarian cysts disappear within two to three months with the same quantity of SSKI. Again, make sure to monitor your thyroid function!

It's very likely that SSKI helps eliminate fibrocystic breast disease and ovarian cysts at least partly through it's interaction with estrogens….which brings us to another important use for SSKI (and other forms of iodine such as "Lugol's solution" and "di-atomic iodine"). All of these forms of iodine help your body to metabolize estrone (a slightly carcinogenic human estrogen) and 16-alpha-hydroxyestrone (a much more dangerous metabolite of human estrogen) into estriol, an "anti-carcinogenic" or at worst "neutral" form of human estrogen. I've reviewed literally hundreds of hormone tests in over 26 years which have proven this point. This testing and treatment usually requires the help of a physician skilled and knowledgeable in nutritional and natural medicine, who can also help with monitoring thyroid function. (See "Resources", page 8).

Didn't know if this would be of any help to any of you with cysts or not.  I was researching other things and found it on this site.  http://www.tahoma-clinic.com/iodide.shtml
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
Look at your symptoms.  If you have symptoms of hormone imbalance, it's a pretty good sign that you have a problem.  [/quote]

I am looking everywhere for a list of the symptoms of hormone imbalance.  Can anyone direct me?  Thank you!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 05:26:29 PM »
Look at your symptoms.  If you have symptoms of hormone imbalance, it's a pretty good sign that you have a problem. 

I am looking everywhere for a list of the symptoms of hormone imbalance.  Can anyone direct me?  Thank you!!

Estrogen Dominance & Other Hormone Imbances: Causes & Cures

Read the whole thread but esp. post #23 by SC. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 06:07:22 PM »
Thank you for the link!!  Apparently I am okay ;D  I have none of the symptoms listed.  My only beef is short cycles with long, light, symptom free periods.  Maybe all the other healthy things I am doing will shorten them in time.  Here's hoping....

Offline shesaidthis

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »
Also consider that it's been determined by many researchers that a large percentage of all Americans suffer from estrogen dominance due to cultural norms in diet and hygiene products.  Oral contraceptives, hormone injected meats, soy products (unfermented) and SLS (detergent found in shampoo, soft soap, toothpaste, etc) are all estrogen mimics and contribute to hormone imbalance.... 

...If you treat naturally with diet alterations and eliminations of toxic products, what have you got to lose but an unhealthy lifestyle??  ;D

I read through all the threads and decided to eliminate the shampoo.  I tried the soap and ACV, but my wavy hair got really big and fluffy, so I decided to try the Curly Girl method mentioned in the taking care of curly hair thread.  Wow!! Now my wavy hair is curly and I have eliminated SLS.  How cool is that? ;D  Thanks, HB!!