Author Topic: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures  (Read 59725 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
In LGS [Leaky Gut Syndrome], the epithelium on the villi of the small intestine becomes inflamed and irritated, which allows metabolic and microbial toxins of the small intestines to flood into the blood stream. This event compromises the liver, the lymphatic system, and the immune response including the endocrine system. It is often the primary cause of the following common conditions: asthma, food allergies, chronic sinusitis, eczema, urticaria, migraine, irritable bowel, fungal disorders, fibromyalgia, and inflammatory joint disorders including rheumatoid arthritis. It also contributes to PMS, uterine fibroid, and breast fibroid.

Leaky Gut Syndrome is often the real basis for chronic fatigue syndrome and pediatric immune deficiencies. Leaky Gut Syndrome is reaching epidemic proportions within the population. As a disease entity, it has not been discussed in classical or modern TCM literature. In fact, taking a strictly classical Chinese medicine approach to LGS is often ineffective or only partially effective, because the disease is not addressed in all of its complexity...

If there is a history of antibiotics (two episodes within a lifetime is enough to set up Leaky Gut Syndrome; yearly doses of antibiotics will guarantee it), assume there is Candida. You will need to give anti-Candida medicines and advise a special diet. Diet therapy alone will not eradicate high levels of Candida, but certain foods will sabotage successful therapy: sugars, yeasts, refined white flour products (bread, pasta, pastry), vinegar, fermented products including miso, canned fruit juice, and dried fruit. Fresh fruit may or may not be a problem, depending on the severity.

Secondly, assume there are food allergies. If any food allergy is allowed to persist, the intestinal wall will remain inflamed and toxic absorption will continue. Without testing, the best you can do is avoid completely the common allergenic foods: dairy (milk, cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter), gluten grains (wheat, rye, oats, spelt, barley); eggs; corn (including popcorn, corn syrup, corn oil); and beans (especially soy, lentil and kidney; soy includes tofu, miso, and tamari). Other foods that commonly test as allergenic are almonds, peanuts, and garlic. The most common of the allergenic foods are dairy, gluten grains, and eggs. Be careful of these ingredients in packaged foods or foods prepared in restaurants.

A non-allergenic diet can be obtained by eating meat, chicken, fish, vegetables, potatoes, rice, millet, and fruits. Many patients feel that certain foods are allergenic because of reactive symptoms. We have to distinguish sensitivity from allergy. A food that might cause sensitivity, like tomatoes or oranges, causes discomfort because of an imbalance of digestive acids and enzymes. Real allergies cause damage to the intestinal lining by initiating an inflammatory reaction, and ironically, are usually without any perceived reaction...more

Dangers of uncontrolled candida growth
When Candida growth becomes uncontrolled the following happens: First, fungal metabolites and/or toxins interfere with the functioning of nutrient-uptake and their transfer into the bloodstream. Then the fungus grows long stringy structures (rhizoids) that can penetrate the upper cell layer of the intestinal wall causing symptoms very similar to those of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Leaky Gut Syndrome
Over time, the rhizoids can penetrate the gut wall and make it inflamed and porous causing Leaky Gut Syndrome. The damage to the gut from candida comes both from impaired biochemical processes in cells of the intestinal lining and the physical damage caused by the spread of the rhizoids. In the next step the rhizoids break down the barrier between the intestine and the circulatory system in which case candida can enter the bloodstream and spread throughout the body (Systemic candida). Candida can invade virtually any organ or part of the body where the defenses (physical and immunological) are weakened.

Leaky Gut Syndrome is thought to be the underlying cause of bowel disorders and very likely the stage of candidiasis that contributes substantially to food intolerances, environmental sensitivities, allergies and asthma. ...more

Leaky gut syndrome has been theoretically suspected as a major factor in a wide range of food and chemical sensitivities, arthritis, asthma, headaches, digestive problems of varying seriousness and chronic fatigue. It was quickly linked to many of the problems experienced in patients with severe Candida albicans overgrowths, since it was known that Candida, in its fungal form, can put down 'roots' into the gut wall, allowing comparatively large molecules to pass through into the bloodstream.
     Whether these are food molecules, bacteria or chemical toxins, the result would be the same: an immune response by the body, an attack by antibodies and the start of a cycle of immune response, inflammation and antibody-antigen reactions...more

If you have food intolerances to foods that should be healthy for you, you'll need to stop eating these until the leaky gut has healed to keep your body from working too hard to cleanse, heal and fight allergies.  For an extensive menu and how-to guide for a food elimination diet, I would recommend Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder

Then recommended treatment includes killing off parasites, harmful bacteria and most important Candida.  This can be done effectively by eliminating sugars and refined grains in the diet and using Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up or some similar products. 

Once the body is rid of the harmful microbial agents and recolonized with beneficial bacteria, the healing can begin; however, leaky gut is holes in the mucousal lining of the intestines and this also needs to be taken care of with dietary changes.

Your diet needs to be low in simple and refined sugars and high in proteins and essential fatty acids.  For more information on how to change your diet, I recommend The Maker's Diet and/or Nourishing Traditions.

For a step by step breakdown of what to do about Candida and/or Leaky Gut, read the following link:  I Think I Have Leaky Gut and/or Candida:  What Now?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 02:43:15 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Leaky Gut Syndrome: Signs, Symptoms & Cures
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:14:30 PM »
Leaky Gut Syndrome is often the primary cause of the following common conditions: liver disfunction, abdominal pain, muscle and joint pain, autism, ADHD and other behavioral disorders, accelerated aging, migraines, confusion, poor concentration, foggieness, poor memory, mood swings, nervousness, agressive behavior, anxiety, eye disorders,  endocrine disorders including, urinary tract infections, incontinence, and bedwetting; digestive disorders including:  obesity, constipation, bloating, gas, malnutrition, and irritable bowel syndrome; skin disorders (usually a result of food allergens) such as acne, rosacea, hives, dermatitis (atopic eczema), and psoriasis; female disorders including PMS, recurring vaginal infections, uterine fibroid, breast fibroid, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), and endometriosis;  and autoimmune disorders including:  osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, multiple sclerosis, Raynaud's disease (numbness in toes and fingers), lupus, fibromyalgia, diabetes, cancer, pediactric immune defficiencies, HIV positive, Reiter's syndrome, celiac desease, Crohn's disease, endotoxaemia, alopecia areata, vitiligo, Addison's disease, Celiac disease and vasculitis.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 05:47:35 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:31:59 AM »
Hi healthybratt,

Wow, that's a lot of information--where did you get your quotes? I am very familiar with all the problems of Candida. There is a good book called 'The Yeast Connection' by Dr. William Crook, MD. It is very eye opening and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about the problems candida overgrowth can cause, including infertility!

Funny part is, most of the medical community does not take this yeast thing seriously, and if they do, they are quick to prescribe a drug called nystatin. Candida can be controlled with diet and we used a product called ThreeLac, however, it so expensive, we could only afford one, maybe 2 boxes of the stuff. I am very eager to try Tummy Tune-Up and Yeast ASsassin, especially for DH. He gets an awful red rash in the summer (itchy) and this past winter, had that fungal thing going under his big toenails.  :P Yuck. But, I have to say that the ThreeLac did wipe it out....AND he feels so much better. He's not draggin' around so tired all the time. Candida will do that to you , too.

Just curious as to where you got all that good info.
Thanks,
Lisa
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 08:48:30 AM »
Mama Sita,

GOOGLE.  I only quoted a couple of sites.  If you click on "more" at the end of the quote, it will take you to the site I quoted. 

Type in "Leaky Gut" in Google and you will find tons of info.  If you have a specific illness in mind while researching, such as "lupus", then type in "Leaky Gut Lupus" and you will still get bunches of hits.

I've read The Yeast Connection.  I liked it too.  I first read "Unraveling the Mysteries of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder".  This book is phenomenal and it recommended The Yeast Connection.  I've read many other books on the subject as well as multitudes of research on the internet.  Doctors don't believe in this "muck".  Mine doesn't anyway, but he wouldn't give me Nystatin when I asked for it, he gave Lamisil instead.  It wasn't until much later, I found the Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up and boy I'm glad I did.  After treating with this and a 4 day fast, I feel like a new person.  My digestion is moving right along and I'm losing weight at a steady pace.  I'm tired, but not from lack of health, but because I feel so good, I'm trying to conquer the world in a day.  I just weeded around my entire house yesterday.  A truckload of weeds and grass all by myself - getting ready to plant my herbs.   :o
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 09:06:01 AM »
WOW!! I've got extra weeds at my house, too! If you run out of weeds to pull, just come on over!
So, did you do the Lemonade Fast? I am gearing up to do that one, but I'm chicken because of the cayenne.  ::)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 08:27:35 AM »
WOW!! I've got extra weeds at my house, too! If you run out of weeds to pull, just come on over!
So, did you do the Lemonade Fast? I am gearing up to do that one, but I'm chicken because of the cayenne.  ::)

The cayenne did not taste as bad as it sounds.  Just make sure to stir and keep in motion right before drinking to make sure it stays mixed and goes down smooth.  I posted the results of my fast in the Master Cleanse thread.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:07:36 AM »
My research has turned up evidence that supports Liver Cleansing as a good measure to take in order to help reverse the symptoms of LGS.

BASICALLY what I'm finding is that most of the recommended cures and cleanses on this board all come back to healing and maintaining a healthy GI tract.  If you don't have a healthy gut everything else falls apart.  Treating symptoms will do no good if you don't get to the root cause of it all.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:51:42 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »
My research also supports the use of L. Glutamine either in natural form or supplements to help restore the mucousal lining of the intestines.

Nutrition

For many people, eating a proper diet lessens leaky gut symptoms. Because large meals can cause cramping and diarrhea in those with leaky gut syndrome, eating smaller meals more often or eating smaller portions may help to ease symptoms. Since food allergies can worsen symptoms, try to avoid allergenic foods such as dairy products, gluten grains (wheat, barley, oats, and rye), nuts, chocolate, and coffee. The following may help reduce symptoms of leaky gut syndrome by promoting overall gastrointestinal health:

* Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms of leaky gut syndrome such as constipation and gas. In order to improve tolerance, it is best to start with 5 grams per day and increase to 25-30 grams per day.
    * Healthy bacteria (probiotics), such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium infantis, can help restore proper gut ecology and function.
    * Vitamins C, vitamin E, and the carotenoids provide antioxidant support, which is necessary for overall cell health.
    * Zinc and vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) support healing mechanisms of the gut.
    * L-glutamine is a major source of nourishment for the rapid replication of healthy cells that line the small intestine. L-glutamine may also protect against damage from NSAIDs.

Herbs

Herbs such as Echinacea (Echinacea purpurea, E. angustifolia), burdock (Arctium lappa), slippery elm (Ulmus rubra, U. fulva), licorice root (Glycyrrhiza glabra), ginger root (Zingiber officinale), and goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) may offer relief for those suffering from leaky gut syndrome...more

L-Glutamine
The typical dietary intake of L-glutamine is 5 to 10 grams daily. Most dietary L-glutamine comes from animal and plant proteins. Small amounts of free L-glutamine are found in vegetable juices and fermented foods, such as miso and yogurt...

Supplemental L-glutamine may have immunomodulatory, anticatabolic/anabolic and gastrointestinal mucosal-protective actions. It may also have antioxidant activity...

Supplemental L-glutamine's possible immunomodulatory role may be accounted for in a number of ways. L-glutamine appears to play a major role in protecting the integrity of the gastrointestinal tract and, in particular, the large intestine. ...more

Hmmmm....HB's having a BrainStorm...

You think maybe this is why the Atkins diet works as well as it does??  Low carbs means no sugars to feed candida and high protein which contributes to the healing of the intestines.  The only thing missing from this diet is good fats.  I've never read Atkin's book, but Protein Power never gets into the in's and out's of good vs bad fats.  Put the pieces altogether and you get a healthy body.   :o
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 02:52:51 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Bev

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 04:26:28 PM »
HB can you take yeast assasin or tummy tune up while nursing. I am eight months pregnant right now so I want to wait until I have the baby to start.

Bev

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
HB can you take yeast assasin or tummy tune up while nursing. I am eight months pregnant right now so I want to wait until I have the baby to start.

Bev

Tummy Tuneup is okay, but Yeast Assassin is not okay.  Black Walnut is not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers or small children.  If you slowly cut back on your sugar intake until you are not eating any starches, sugars or refined flours this will help to fight candida without the help of supplements.  I only recommend you do it slowly so that your babies do not suffer the ill effects of sudden die-off symptoms and detox.  The Tummy Tune-up will help to speed up the process and to repopulate the lining of the intestines to prevent a further uprising of candida in the future.  It's also good for the babies to prevent them from getting candida through the breast milk and pregnancy.  This will make your babies less likely to develop LGS, candida and food intolerances in the future and also the other symptoms listed above that come as a result of candida overgrowth, such as thrush, eczema, dermititis, etc.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline stevia mama

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »
If you slowly cut back on your sugar intake until you are not eating any starches, sugars or refined flours this will help to fight candida without the help of supplements.

Hi HB,

I was wondering if you recommend not eating bananas as they are starchy??  I'm so bummed if I have to give them up!  They've been so good lately and I use them a lot in smoothies! :'(

BTW, you sure know a lot of stuff!  Thanks for all the good info. you provide on this site.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 08:17:03 PM by stevia mama aka Stacy »
As my middle daughter and I walked into a rather smelly public bathroom she said in a sing songy voice, "I smell something I like to eat. . .eggs!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2006, 06:22:32 AM »
I was wondering if you recommend not eating bananas as they are starchy??  I'm so bummed if I have to give them up!  They've been so good lately and I use them a lot in smoothies! :'(

Okay, here's my take on this.  I read the book "Protein Power" many years ago before I learned anything about Leaky Gut and/or Candida problems.  This diet works for so very many people and I was amazed at the information I gleaned from this book; however, as I came to learn more about yeast and LGS and all the other problems associated with these I was able to realize that there is a component missing from this diet - healthy fats.  Aside from this, Protein Power and Dr. Atkins have the crucial component down.  Lower the carbs NOT the fats.  Soooo I use Protein Power as a guide when trying to decide what to eat.  A carbohydrate is defined as:  "Sugars and starches that are the most efficient source of food energy. Stored in the muscle and liver as glycogen and in the blood as glucose."  Based on this definition, anything that has carbs feeds yeast.  Protein Power recommends for dieters a 25-30 carbs/day menu.  For most people, this contributes to a great amount of weight loss, high energy levels and overall better health.  This tells me, that they are unknowingly controlling their candida levels; thereby improving digestion, raising metabolism and thereby losing weight and becoming more healthy in general.  I think it's almost impossible to eliminate all sugars from the diet completely, BUT if you use the Protein Power, or Atkins diet as a guide, you can keep track and monitor your sugar intake and observe the results.  This is the way I monitor my sugars & starches on foods that I'm not sure about.  If you think this might work for you, check the thread  Foods to Eat While Fighting Yeast...and BTW, bananas are right at the top of the list of high carb fruits, sitting at 21.2 carbs per banana vs. say a cucumber which only has 1.8 carbs.  If you can count your carbs and eliminate the majority of them in your diet, you might be able to allow yourself one banana each day based on the above diet plan, but at least this way you can decide which carbs you really want to eat and which ones you don't. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 06:25:53 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline shawnaincov

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 11:08:22 AM »

Tummy Tuneup is okay, but Yeast Assassin is not okay.  Black Walnut is not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers or small children.

How small is small?  At what age can they start YA?  My 7 yr old can swallow a pill(so can my 41/2 yr old).  They have both taken the TT.  Just wondering?

Shawna :-*
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 04:51:59 PM by shawnaincov »

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 05:17:44 AM »
Leaky Gut Syndrome is often the primary cause of the following common conditions:... Raynaud's disease (numbness in toes and fingers)...

I had no idea that leaky gut was a common cause of Raynaud's. I had never considered that as an issue since I had cut out sugars last year and took an anti-fungal medication last year in the spring. I'm pretty sure I have the yeast under control. I've never had any digestive issues, food allergies, or other leaky gut symptoms (except I would say that I do have a chronic fatigue issue), but maybe I need to look into that. So can you get rid of the yeast and still have leaky gut? I knew I had a yeast problem in the past. As a teenager, my dr. put me on antibiotics for acne if you can believe that. Of course I didn't know any better then. It would take something really bad for me to touch an antibiotic these days. So I knew I had a yeast problem, which is why I went without sugar for quite a while. Now I'm still refined sugar-free, but do use a fair amount of honey and a small amount of Rapadura now and then.

I will read some more about this (I know there's more here than just this thread). I know I've read the other leaky gut threads in the past, but I'll check them out again. Thanks again for your input! It is so much appreciated.  :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 08:34:37 AM »
Thanks!  ;D

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 04:52:05 PM »
Has anyone tried butter oil for leaky gut? I was at a Weston Price meeting, where someone was selling butter oil (expensive!), and the label says it is particularly useful for healing the "leaks" in leaky gut. It's expensive, but if it makes a big difference in healing your gut, it might be worth it for someone. I'm going to try it. You're supposed to take it with cod liver oil.

Offline joyofthelord

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 07:57:32 AM »
Please help me with this!!  I've been reading & reading, I'm so overwhelmed. This leaky gut thing is all new to me, but I think it describes my husband.  He always has abdominal bloating, very low on energy, etc.  But how do I know?  Also, do I need to give him the yeast assassin and tummy tune-up or just tummy tune-up?  I want to help him feel better, can you guys give help me get started on this for him so I know what to order?    I'm just wondering, how do I know if it's yeast, or if he needs to only be on the tummy tune-up.  I want to do the jungle juice for him also, but I thought I would try this for a couple weeks first.  Am I on the right track?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 08:12:38 AM »
But how do I know?

Take the Yeast Test

If he has yeast, then I would be as aggressive with it as your budget will allow.  It's a very difficult beast to conquer, but with perserverence it can be done.  I would definately follow every one of the steps I listed in the previous post.  If your budget won't allow for it, then the Tummy Tune-up would be the priority over the Yeast Assassin.  My husband and I are taking both along with omega 3s and glutamine to heal the gut.  I also throw lots of raw garlic and some aloe vera juice in the mix as they are both anti-fungals.  They are not as strong as the Yeast Assassin, but every little bit will help.  I also started making my own yogurt (tried kefir didn't like it) and kombucha, both very good cultured foods which are rich sources of natural probiotics. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 10:43:22 AM »
But how do I know?

Take the Yeast Test

I would definately follow every one of the steps I listed in the previous post.  If your budget won't allow for it, then the Tummy Tune-up would be the priority over the Yeast Assassin. 

What post are you refering to...the original post of this thread?  I, too, am wondering where to begin.  DH & I aren't specifially ill, we just know we aren't up to optimal health.  We haven't done any of the cleanses or taken any of the pills recommeded on this site, and are just barely begining the healthy eating encouraged here.  DH has finally taken a slight interest & I'm reading here daily to educate myself so I can educate him...
I just don't know where to begin.  Should we just jump right in and start taking TT.  My young boys take a probiotic prescribed by their chiro. 
Sorry, didn't mean to ramble...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 04:43:54 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pastorswife2B

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2006, 04:40:24 PM »
Ok here's my situation  ???.  My FIL (an MD) went to a nuetritionist because of his Arthritis who diagnosed him with Leaky Gut and tested him for food sensativities.  He has lived by this advice for about 4 years now (before I was added to this family) and has seen DRASTIC improvements in the way he feels.  HOWEVER I have never heard him talk about having received any information on healing his leaky gut and they are coming down for a visit starting tomorrow afternoon.  Even though he is an MD he is open to the 'natural' way of things and knows my background in this area and we have had some open discussions on this.

So I am seeking some advice on how to broach with him that I have found some info on healing a leaky gut and wondered if you gals had any thoughts on what the most important step would be to take (I don't want to overwhelm him and lose his ear).  He is much more open to the healthy eating side of things than to the herb side of things, but right now my instincts are to try and see if he would be interested in trying to rid himself of candida.  He already takes a fish oil supplement which I believe contains the nutrients for healthy mucus lining.

I would appriciate some advice on what you guys think is important to try and remedy his situation.  He is such a wonderful grandfather to our boys and only 52 yo and already has a hard time playing with him because he hurts so badly  :'(

-Heather

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 06:06:14 PM »
It wasn't until much later, I found the Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up and boy I'm glad I did.  After treating with this and a 4 day fast, I feel like a new person. 
healthybratt: so am I understanding right, that you are doing this to treat and HEAL leaky gut?  These 2 products get rid of the yeast, right? But do they heal the leaky gut, if damage has been done?   And if so ~ how long does that take???  I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before; I tend to 'chase rabbits' on this site and read for hours without finding out exactly what I'm looking for! :-\ :-[

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2006, 07:31:17 PM »
It wasn't until much later, I found the Yeast Assassin and Tummy Tune-Up and boy I'm glad I did.  After treating with this and a 4 day fast, I feel like a new person. 
healthybratt: so am I understanding right, that you are doing this to treat and HEAL leaky gut?  These 2 products get rid of the yeast, right? But do they heal the leaky gut, if damage has been done?   And if so ~ how long does that take???  I'm sorry if this has already been discussed before; I tend to 'chase rabbits' on this site and read for hours without finding out exactly what I'm looking for! :-\ :-[
It's the first step.  Before you can heal it, you have to get the yeasty critters out.  Once you've succeeded with the cleansing of the little boogers, the healing can begin.  Everything I've read suggests that good nutrition (obvious) and supplements of omega 3s (I prefer cod liver oil) and glutamine (an amino acid for the gut).  I'm currently doing all of these things in addition to taking the YA and TT.  Also avoid any foods that have created intolerances as these will just aggravate the situation.  Don't reintroduce these foods until much later if and when the leaky gut heals.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Texas Girl.

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2006, 09:33:30 PM »
Wow.....I love my carbs!!!  And bacon!  And caffeine!  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the info.  I'll just go feel sorry for myself now for the diet I"m going to have to endure! ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 08:39:44 AM »
Wow.....I love my carbs!!!  And bacon!  And caffeine!  UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thanks for the info.  I'll just go feel sorry for myself now for the diet I"m going to have to endure! ;)
You can still eat bacon, but cured bacon does have some sugar in it, so you'll want to make sure and cut your sugars somewhere else to compensate.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline new2herbs

• Learning
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2006, 03:32:58 AM »
My 1 year old son had 16 food allergies and horrible excema to the point of bleeding and open wounds.  We had all of our natural food friends tell us that he had leaky gut and yeast problems.  We tried everything they told us to fix these problems with no help.  After 6 months we finally had him scoped to see what the inside of his stomach, colon, and intestines looked like.  There was no yeast and no sign of a leaky gut.  We took the scope pictures to our naturopathy who agreed with the DR. that he did not see any yeast inside our son.  I really wanted their to be a gut problem to prove the DRs wrong and validate all my personal research and home remedies, but this was not the case for us.

PMESguy

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2006, 03:31:49 PM »
Ok here's my situation  ???.  My FIL (an MD) went to a nuetritionist because of his Arthritis who diagnosed him with Leaky Gut and tested him for food sensativities.  He has lived by this advice for about 4 years now (before I was added to this family) and has seen DRASTIC improvements in the way he feels.  HOWEVER I have never heard him talk about having received any information on healing his leaky gut and they are coming down for a visit starting tomorrow afternoon.  Even though he is an MD he is open to the 'natural' way of things and knows my background in this area and we have had some open discussions on this.

So I am seeking some advice on how to broach with him that I have found some info on healing a leaky gut and wondered if you gals had any thoughts on what the most important step would be to take (I don't want to overwhelm him and lose his ear).  He is much more open to the healthy eating side of things than to the herb side of things, but right now my instincts are to try and see if he would be interested in trying to rid himself of candida.  He already takes a fish oil supplement which I believe contains the nutrients for healthy mucus lining.

I would appriciate some advice on what you guys think is important to try and remedy his situation.  He is such a wonderful grandfather to our boys and only 52 yo and already has a hard time playing with him because he hurts so badly  :'(

-Heather

The primary cause of leaky gut is stress! Mental and emotional stressors are highly damaging to the immune system. Your first line of defense is an immunoglobulin called secritory IgA. 80% off it is found on the lining of the instinal track. Under periods of stress that number is drastically reducted. Since many people show an exaggerated stress response brought on by  not enought sleep, dehydration, not enough sun exposure, poor quality food, etc...the list goes on and on...it would be to his advantage to build health/vitality/immunity back up by addressing these fundamental factors.

Since he has artritis, it would be IMPERITIVE for him to understand the role of anti-inflammatories and his system. Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil can really help, but they can only do so much. What's absolutely critical to understand is how bad NSAIDS (non-steriodal anti-infammatory drugs) are on the gut. In fact, they are #2 on the list for the all time bad things for your gut. Every time you take aspirin, for example, you loose 15-20 ml of blood. The risk of hemorrhagic stroke goes up 4 times with the use of these drugs. They are like a double edge sward: you get the pain relief, but you cause a number of other  problems in the process. Good article here: http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/5/anti_inflammatories.htm

I give you this advice because I help people heal their guts for a living. If your FIL makes a commitment to determining the causitive factors that are driving his symptoms and then takes the necessary actions to implement a healing strategy, he can expect to heal his gut in about 6 months. For me personally, I took me a good 9 months at age 27 to get to the point where I had no more symptoms. So at his age....given his abilty to regenerate...it might take longer.

What is the cause of a leaky gut? Is a leaky gut a disease? Or is it a symptom of dis-ease on the human orgainsm....a living, breathing, mental, emotional, physical, and spriitual being. If you identify the major causes then you can forget about a remedy...you will have a solution!! :D

Offline ginimom3

• Learning
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2006, 08:16:59 AM »
I've also heard vaccinations can cause leaky gut.  Do you think that is true?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2006, 08:41:48 AM »
I've also heard vaccinations can cause leaky gut.  Do you think that is true?
Absolutely.
  My favorite herb book!!