Author Topic: What I use peppermint oil for..  (Read 6784 times)

Offline Mamatutu

• Learning
What I use peppermint oil for..
« on: May 18, 2006, 03:46:04 AM »
Tea tree and peppermint are my all time favorites.  Here's what I use peppermint for (off hand!):

When someone has a bruise, (like my two year falling and getting a knot on his head) I put a drop right on the spot. Relieves pain and reduces swelling ... QUICKLY!

When someone has a tummy ache, I put a couple drops in a glass of water and have them drink it. (aids with digestion)

When air freshener is needed, I keep a water bottle with a few drops of oil in it ~ Refreshing!

When we need to use the vaporizer, I add a few drops ~ helps with congestion.

For as quickly as I go through it, I know there are more uses I can't think of! It smells delightful and works wonders!

~Stacey
Stacey ~ Privileged to be the wife and helpmeet of my darling Daniel and devoted mama to four precious babes~ Micah Daniel (2/7/04), Rebekah Hope (9/8/05), and Eliahna Pearl (6/9/07), and TBA November 2008.

Offline FaithAcre

• Learning
    • Faith Acre Farmgoods
Re: What I use peppermint oil for..
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 05:45:54 AM »
I use a couple drops in homemade tooth powder.  Gives the baking soda & myrrh concoction a minty taste. 

I put a few drops in the water in a vaporizer when my littlies have a cold.  That way I dont have to use that gooey vicks vaporub stuff that my littlies always want to finger paint with!! 

I've added it to olive oil for a refreshing, cooling foot rub oil. 
~Tara~
Happy Helpmeet to Kev
Merry Mama to the little ladies

Faith Acre Farmgoods
See my website for the most moisturizing soap you can find: Goat Milk Soap!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »
I've added it to olive oil for a refreshing, cooling foot rub oil. 

That sounds like a great idea.  My old favorite foot lotion I used to get at the dollar store had lemon and peppermint in it.  It was so soothing right after a bath especially.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaketler

• Adept
  • Jumping on the bed is fun!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:00:51 AM »
Is peppermint a fungus killer or have any special properties?
Did you know that I am SUPER MOM?

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:18:22 PM »
We use it in baths in the summer b/c it cools us off so quickly...you could put some drops on a wet wash cloth, too, and wipe your face and feet off to cool off quickly.   8)

I'm told it's good for headaches, too, so we apply it to our headaches.  Good for massage oil, too (like the feet).

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:30:35 PM »
In addition to many of the above mentioned uses for peppermint oil I also like to :

---put a few drops of peppermint oil in my belly button   :o  when Im having digestive troubles/pains/cramps and other digestive tract sickness. It works great and works fast.

It is my all time favorite herbal oil.

Offline naturalmom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 05:23:59 PM »
also if u have a garden u take like a yogurt container and buried it near your plants
and put 4 drops of peppermint essential oil in it and it keeps the cats from
peeing and poopooing in your garden area
also if u have ant hills put 2 drops right on the hill and the ants make mad escapes
as they hate peppermint; also u can put it by the door leading into your house to keep the ants from coming in
if i have a backache i have my youngest put drops of it on my back and rub it in
and it really makes my aches go away and it feels cool and tingly
"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under."  by Ronald Reagan
In God I Trust
My Intro

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 04:26:02 AM »
In addition to many of the above mentioned uses for peppermint oil I also like to :

---put a few drops of peppermint oil in my belly button   :o  when Im having digestive troubles/pains/cramps and other digestive tract sickness. It works great and works fast.

It is my all time favorite herbal oil.

That's what my midwife told me to do!  I tried it and it does work.  She said I could even try it on my infant for gas pains.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline farmmom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 05:04:50 AM »
Does anybody have any suggestions on the type of peppermint oil they are using, and where they purchase it.  I am using Melaleuca aka tea tree oil now and would like to get some good peppermint.  I know I can get it from my co-op but that would be at least 3 more months.  Thanks for any help.
' When through firey trials thy pathway shall lie My Grace all sufficient shall be thy supply the flame shall not hurt thee I only design thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.'

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 05:16:07 AM »
I get all my essential oils from thecatalog.com. They carry all NOW brand stuff. They have very reasonably priced Pure eo's with no additives. They have free shipping over 49 and have great bee products (propolis, pollen) great acidophilus (gr8tdophilus is just about the same as ttu) and their special 2 vitamins are just like SMs. So it is VERY easy to place a 49 order and walk away with VERY reasonably priced QUALITY products.

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
I get all my essential oils from thecatalog.com. They carry all NOW brand stuff. They have very reasonably priced Pure eo's with no additives. They have free shipping over 49 and have great bee products (propolis, pollen) great acidophilus (gr8tdophilus is just about the same as ttu) and their special 2 vitamins are just like SMs. So it is VERY easy to place a 49 order and walk away with VERY reasonably priced QUALITY products.

thanks for sharing chrissyjoy!
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 08:14:37 AM »
Does anybody have any suggestions on the type of peppermint oil they are using, and where they purchase it.  I am using Melaleuca aka tea tree oil now and would like to get some good peppermint.  I know I can get it from my co-op but that would be at least 3 more months.  Thanks for any help.

morethanalive on the side of this page has it. And free shipping over $25!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 11:37:50 AM »

GNC stores carry it, I think it's the NOW brand.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 11:42:03 AM »

why is there's 25 bucks? is it bigger then the 7 dollar NOW brand i get? or is it better!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »
I like the NOW brand and it is more affordable.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 12:04:26 PM »

why is there's 25 bucks? is it bigger then the 7 dollar NOW brand i get? or is it better!!

I don't know anything about it, but I found this quote on morethanalive: Not all essential oils are the same. This is not like other brands of peppermint essential oil that you may find at health food stores. This is therapeutic-grade which is more effective and suitable for internal use.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
see i believe nows are therapeutic grade as well ?? I would have to go check my bottle...but i think more than alives is young living which supposedly is the best...not worth the extra money to me though.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »
oh ok i asked the HFS lady if the one i bought was ok to take internally...really just to make toothpaste and to drop into some water when feeling yucky.she said yes a few drops here and there but if they put that it can be taken internally on the label it would be a whole nuther set of legalites to deal with...i'm guessing FDA?
 anyways, my friend got some of the Young Living one so i will check hers out.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 01:32:31 PM »
see some of my NOWs say NOT FOR INTERNAL use and some don't say anything about it at all....Hmmm....

YoopreMama

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 02:59:23 AM »
One thing I wouldn't recommend is using any EO in the dark!   :o  ::)  :-[

A couple of nights ago, I was itchy by an incision, which is prone to eczema.  I "knew" I had tea tree oil on the head board, so I reached for it w/o turning on the light and went to apply it.  In my sleepiness, I did note that the TTO didn't smell quite the same.   ::)

So, I eventually figured out that I had applied Peppermint EO to my skin.  And I was surprised to see that it had helped clear the skin and reduce itching. 

Anyone else use it on skin this way (intentionally, of course)?   ;) ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 04:57:17 AM »
So, I eventually figured out that I had applied Peppermint EO to my skin.  And I was surprised to see that it had helped clear the skin and reduce itching. 

Anyone else use it on skin this way (intentionally, of course)?   ;) ;D
Yes, it works fairly well on certain itches.  Haven't tried it on bites yet, but of course TTO works just fine for that anyway.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 05:06:29 AM »
A nurse practitioner we worked with in our son's pancreas surgery/recovery recommended peppermint EO for nausea.  This is her story:

"My friend died of cancer a few years ago.  Early on, she used on drop of peppermint oil under the tongue to relieve nausea.  I use that now for my nausea I get from Ulcerative Colitis & exercise.  It's a common alternative in pediatric oncology."

We did not have any luck with it here -but we believe our son's vomiting was not normal nausea but something completely different.  But, it might be something others would try.  I would recommend a tiny bit on a finger tip and then try it on yourself before giving it to a child so you can describe to them the 'crisp minty sensation that doesn't hurt but is really strong'.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:18 AM »
When ever I my kids have a stuffed up nose.. I put PO on thier chests.  This helps them sleep and breath better.. I always dulite mine with olive oil.  I put olive oil in my hand and ONE drop of oil then rub on chest.  It smells very strong but won't burn thier skin this way..
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 02:48:41 AM »
Can peppermint oil be used in food, like for flavoring candy?

I go through those little bottles of peppermint extract like you wouldn't believe, and I am looking for an alternitive.

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 06:29:45 AM »
I actually first bought pepermint oil to make candy with then learned of the other uses. so yes, It can be used for food.  YUM you just have to share. ;)
Jenny
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 11:27:44 AM »
Can peppermint oil be used in food, like for flavoring candy?

I go through those little bottles of peppermint extract like you wouldn't believe, and I am looking for an alternitive.
Make your own.

Extracts & Flavorings
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 12:28:08 PM »
I just bought some peppermint oil..the NOW brand. I rubbed a little on my temples because i had a headache and it kinda burned for a while. It didn't leave any red marks but i just wondered if its safe to put it on without diluting it first. How about putting a few drops in tea or under my tongue. Is that safe? I'm nursing so i wanted to make sure. Is there anything else this oil does that isn't mentioned on this thread. I'm trying to learn as much as i can.
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »
Can I ask you if your headache went away? i've heard that people have used it for migraines and it worked instantly. I was just wondering cos i was going to by the NOW brand but the one's others have used have been more expensive.
kittyninjA

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »
I just bought some peppermint oil..the NOW brand. I rubbed a little on my temples because i had a headache and it kinda burned for a while. It didn't leave any red marks but i just wondered if its safe to put it on without diluting it first. How about putting a few drops in tea or under my tongue. Is that safe? I'm nursing so i wanted to make sure. Is there anything else this oil does that isn't mentioned on this thread. I'm trying to learn as much as i can.

I use the NOW brand of peppermint oil because it is the cheapest I have come upon.

I have rubbed it on my skin for sinus headpains and on the lower back for sciatic nerve pains, and put it in my belly button for digestive troubles without diluting it and it has not done me any harm. I have also mixed a drop or 2 in with a small glass of water and drank if for digestive troubles.  If it was me I would be afraid to put some under my tongue for fear of it burning the mucus membranes in there because it does kind of burn a bit when it comes in contact with those soft tissues.

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 02:01:33 PM »
I did notice a change in my headache. it wasn't a migraine though. After sniffing it i noticed it would get better but i had to sniff it every 10 or so minutes. I think mine was from hunger and it did go away after a little while.

What kind of digestive problems does it work for? I'm constipated a lot. Would it help that?
Thanks for answering my question about deluting. ;)
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4