† † † † † † †

Author Topic: breastfeeding  (Read 37865 times)

Offline seeker

• Adept
Re: breastfeeding
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 03:54:34 AM »
Does anyone have a link to info on what the normal age is for various things -- like "normal" weight gain, when they should be holding their head up, when they should start cooing, rolling over, etc.?

Thanks,
WR

I like this site:

http://www.dbpeds.org/milestones.html

HTH

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 04:11:37 AM »
Does anyone have a link to info on what the normal age is for various things -- like "normal" weight gain, when they should be holding their head up, when they should start cooing, rolling over, etc.?

Thanks,
WR

Here's a site that was very helpful to me when my daughter was born. http://kellymom.com/
It is more natural minded, although they are for vaccines. But everything else was pretty good! HTH
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 04:34:15 AM »

Here's a site that was very helpful to me when my daughter was born. http://kellymom.com/
It is more natural minded, although they are for vaccines. But everything else was pretty good! HTH

I love kellymom.com! That site helped me so much when I was having trouble nursing my 4th. 

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 07:26:16 AM »

He's right around 9# and was 8.5 when he was born.  Hopefully someone can tell me if this is a good weight gain for his age? 

IMO, newborns (after the 1st week) should be gaining 1/2-1 ounce a day (BTW, that is about 1/2 a pound a week).
If this wasn't happening I would suspect something and try to fix it.
If you suspect your breat milk....make sure the baby is getting the "cream" fatty stuff. It comes at the end of a feeding....after all the watery/sugaring stuff is gone.

Also, the medical community has a goal of: Twice the Birth Weight at 6 months.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:12:05 PM by KristenA »
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 05:03:10 PM »
ok the poll on the top of this page puzzles me every time am i issing something or is it a glitch in the system?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2007, 05:59:15 AM »
ok the poll on the top of this page puzzles me every time am i issing something or is it a glitch in the system?

You're not the only one. ;)
Waiting for an explanation...

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »
Does anyone know how long it takes for a certain food to get in to the breastmilk?  Like if I eat garlic at dinner, how long until the baby can taste it?
(Okay, lets be honest, I'm talking about chocolate.)

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2007, 05:34:52 PM »
It only takes about an hour for garlic cloves taste and smell to get into your milk!!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2007, 02:35:41 AM »
Does anyone know how long it takes for a certain food to get in to the breastmilk?  Like if I eat garlic at dinner, how long until the baby can taste it?

I  just asked my dr this on my last visit. He said that the variables are so vast that it would be hard to say. I can see what he means...what else did you eat with it, how clean is you system, how much garlic (chocolate) idid you consume, etc.
I wanted to know because I was trying to figure out if my son was reacting to strawberries (and chocolate) that I was eating. Still don't know. But it does make sense that I would have to consider my son's body as well as mine.

I think trial and error would maybe help a little ???
Sandra
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2007, 03:42:37 AM »

Very few foods bothered my crew, but when they did, it was generally 12 to 24 hours later that I noticed a problem. 
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2007, 03:45:55 AM »
He said that the variables are so vast that it would be hard to say.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

sounds like a really complex answer for "Um, I don't know"

Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2007, 11:54:50 AM »

Not sure about food but I've heard that alcohol enters the breastmilk about 3-5 hours later.
I would guess that food would be about 5-10 hours later.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 05:53:03 AM »
He said that the variables are so vast that it would be hard to say.
:D :D :D :D :D :D

sounds like a really complex answer for "Um, I don't know"

He said that too so I appreciated his honesty.  :)
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2007, 12:41:32 PM »
I have noticed a fairly consistent "reaction" if I eat something that puts a babies tummy out of sorts at about 20-24 hours after I eat the offending foods.
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2007, 04:04:44 AM »
I have a question that seems rather unusual, but I hope somebody here might be able to help me out. I am nursing my 4month old ds, and I just recently noticed that he is nursing more on the left side than right.  It seems like I have less milk on the right side because when I put him on, he fidgets and squirms and comes off and on, and I'm not feeling very "full" on that side either. The left side seems to always feel full, though.  ??? 

I have always nursed him on one side per feeding.  If I remember right, I think he preferred the left side when he was newborn.
Anyone know what could be going on? I'm afraid I might lose my supply on the right.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:33:25 AM by Jaena »

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 04:11:18 AM »
I have a question that seems rather unusual, but I hope somebody here might be able to help me out. I am nursing my 4month old ds, and I just recently noticed that he is nursing more on the left side than right.  It seems like I have less milk on the right side because when I put him on, he fidgets and squirms and comes off and on, and I'm not feeling very "full" on that side either. The left side seems to always feel full, though.  ??? 

I have always nursed him on one side per feeding.  If I remember right, I think he preferred the left side when he was newborn.
Anyone know what could be going on? I'm afraid I might lose my supply on the right, and noticed this morning that I was starting to get a lopsided look.  :o  Yeah, I want to get this figured out!

He might be getting big enough to nurse him from both sides per feeding.  You might try nursing him starting with the left side, then switching to the right.  At the next feeding, start on the right and switch to the left.  That way he will be getting enough per feeding and help increase your milk on your right side.
Does this make sense?
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mineó
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2007, 04:38:56 AM »
I have two boys, and they both preferred one side over the other when they were newborns. I nursed one side each feeding, and they eventually took to the other side, but now I am very lopsided. One side is a cup or cup and a half size bigger. I will be weaning my 17 month old next month, so am curious to see if I shrink back down to the same size. (I hope!!!)

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »
I have a question. My baby is 7 months, and I haven't started her on solids yet. She only nurses about 4 times a day. She's very chubby though, so I know she's eating enough.  :) I'm just wondering if I should be giving her water. She doesn't seem to have many wet diapers. I know with newborns you don't need to give them water, but what about older babies. My other 3, by now I had them on food and juice by now, but they all weaned themselves pretty early. And I really want to make it to at least a year this time. So should I give her a little water, or just try and nurse more often? Thanks  :)
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
I'm not a LLL leader or anything... but I'd recommend breastfeeding more often to increase the fluid intake.  Afterall, breastfeeding is the best food for babies. 

I have three little ones.   I nursed the first for a year, the second for 15 months and the third is 14 months already with no end in sight... I'm really enjoying it at this point.  It's such a bonding experience.

Good luck.  You're doing a great thing for your baby.  :D Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:51:03 PM by shekinah »

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2007, 03:23:10 PM »
I would try some water and see how much she drinks.  If she drinks a lot, maybe she is thirsty.  If she doesn't, maybe she just doesn't need to wet a lot of diapers.  People are different; babies are different.  Some grownups drink more water than others, and some "wet" more than others. . . . Why wouldn't babies?

Offline seosinger

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2007, 06:45:39 AM »
Has anyone ever had any issues with your milk letting down?  My friend is struggling to nurse her 7 month old.  She says that he gets frustrated b/c it takes for her milk to let down. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Living and loving life abundantly in Christ!

Offline seosinger

• Learning
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2007, 07:06:19 AM »
Has anyone ever had any issues with your milk letting down?  My friend is struggling to nurse her 7 month old.  She says that he gets frustrated b/c it takes for her milk to let down. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bump!!!
Living and loving life abundantly in Christ!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
I know someone who was able to let down better while they were drinking.  She always took a cup or 2 of water with her and that seemed to be helpful...  No medical reason why that I can think of but I know it worked for her.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2007, 08:52:18 AM »
Has He started nursing more?When my kids started to nurse more they got frustrated for a couple days waiting for my supply to build up to meet their needs.

Em

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2007, 09:00:27 AM »
Would you describe her as a tense or relaxed person?  I've found that tension can cause problems with breastfeeding.
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2007, 11:28:43 AM »
I would follow the advice given in the previous posts - especially the relaxing part - and also get her to boost her milk supply.  Fenugreek and other herbs work really well for this.  There's a lot of information on boosting milk supply on another thread.
Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2007, 05:29:24 AM »

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2004.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
I know someone who was able to let down better while they were drinking.  She always took a cup or 2 of water with her and that seemed to be helpful...  No medical reason why that I can think of but I know it worked for her.

Sarah K

I second this! It helps me so much, esp. when stressed or away form home.

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2007, 07:09:46 PM »
Hey I was just sent this by my MIL and it was very encouraging.  The pain I'm experiencing this time is unlike anything I've ever felt in breastfeeding, and it's getting worse, not better, every time he nurses.  Anyway, check this out:  101 reasons to breastfeed 
http://www.notmilk.com/101.html
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline RB

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2007, 03:18:12 AM »
Hey I was just sent this by my MIL and it was very encouraging.  The pain I'm experiencing this time is unlike anything I've ever felt in breastfeeding, and it's getting worse, not better, every time he nurses.  Anyway, check this out:  101 reasons to breastfeed 
http://www.notmilk.com/101.html

Helpmeetmom,
Sorry, to hear you are having a painful experience breastfeeding !     You probably already know this information ,   but maybe you will find something helpful. 
                                                   Blessing's,
                                                      RB

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sore.html

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/heal.html
Whatsoever things are lovely ...think on these things.  Phil. 4:8