Author Topic: Child's sinus infection still here after 5 rounds of antibiotics - HELP  (Read 7255 times)

Offline krifflard

• Wide Eyed
I have a five year old son.  He has been on 5 rounds of antibiotics for sinus infections.  The infection has never gone away and he has now been sick for 7 months.  I am desperate!  I have him on Vit C (1000 mg) and zinc twice a day and acidophilus.  But nothing is helping.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
How bad is it, what are his symptoms? I would have him eat lots of garlic, drink tons of water, and try having him use x-clear every 10-20 minutes or so. If you do a search, someone posted a recipe for it a while back or you can buy it at the halth food store. I would take him off the anti-biotics too. Especially if it's not working, it's proably doing more harm than good at this point. I get sinus infections anytime I get the slightest cold. It just goes right into my sinuses. If I use the x-clear right away, I won't get one. He may even have a dairy allergy. I know I do, I don't ever buy dairy products (excpet goat and sheep products because those are so similar to human breastmilk that it is usually accepted by our systems) Once I got off of dairy I don't get them as often. I used to get horrible debilitating sinus headaches. Haven't had one since. Hope that's helpful to you!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline krifflard

• Wide Eyed
Thanks! He has a chronic stuffy nose, post nasal drip cough and occasional low grade fevers.  His face is tender to touch. I also have him on saline nose sprays 3 times a day but they don't seem to be helping either.  He has been off the last round of antibiotics for a little over a month now.  A nutritionist says that maybe it has turned to a fungal infection in the sinus cavity - hence the acidiphilus.  I will try to get garlic into him - not an easy feat. Maybe if I try to grind the pills and hide them in his sandwich :)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
I used to get sinus infections all the time, several times a year that would last for weeks at a time.  Antibiotics rarely worked and when I used them, I invariably got some kind of yeast infection. 

My kids also used to suffer from whatever virus I happened to catch.  Ear infections that antibiotics would never touch, colds, sinus infections, etc.

Since, I become more aware of candida/yeast and how it affects the immune system and changed our diet accordingly, these pesky little illness only come once or twice a year and now rarely last more than a week.  The symptoms are also much less severe.  If I get a sinus infection, it means I might have to blow my nose a few extra times and maybe get a little scratch in the throat that some regular home rememdies will usually alleviate.  In the past, nothing worked - sinus sprays, antihistamines, pseudoephidrine, etc. 

I would recommend that you research candida and look for other possible indicators that you and your kids may be affected by yeast and treat accordingly. 

In the meantime, there are a few links with ideas on how to treat the symptoms and boost the immune system to help it do it's job.

Sinus Infections: Causes & Cures
GOOT - Garlic Oil Ointment [Treatment]
Garlic Poultice: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
My favorite way to take garlic is....

Boosting Your Immune System:  Avoiding Illness

Candida / Yeast: Symptoms & Cures
Treating Children for Candida/Yeast
Candida Cleanse Without Supplements
Foods to Eat While Taking Yeast Assassin [or Other Antifungals]
Natural Antifungals
Die-Off from Candida/Yeast: Causes, Effects, Risks & Reduction
Leaky Gut:  The Cause of it All?
I Think I Have Candida and/or Leaky Gut:  What Now?

My favorite herb book!!

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
If it were me, I wouldn't use the regular store bought nasal sprays. They are addictive and are filled with junky chemicals. The x-clear is a little more expensive but if you make it your self (it's very easy to make) it won't cost nearly as much per batch. I know I have the recipe....here it is
1 cup spring or purified water
a scant 1/4 t unrefined sea salt
2 1/2 t xylitol
4 drops grap fruit seed extract
mix this together until all is dissolved.
I just bought some of the junky nasal spray, emptied it out, rinsed it out good and filled it with the x clear. the xylitol is a natural sweetener, you can find it at the health food store. You should be able to find the grape fruit seed extract in a health food store too. Beeyoutiful carries it also I belive. I would definatly follow hb advice about treating for candida, especially if he's been on antibiotics for this long. He's a likely candidate. Hope he gets better soon!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/

Offline hodgy

• Adept
I definitely understand where you're coming from.  My 8 yr old developed a sinus infecton that wouldn't go away even after 5 rounds of anitbiotics.  That was last spring(March).  The ENT I ended up taking him to was about to put him on one of the "last resort,  heavy hitter anitbiotics" and I was terrified.  I had already wore him and myself out with all the natural methods.  I mean I tried EVERYTHING.  When I finally talked my husband into letting me take him to a chiropractor that uses cranial sacral adjustment/manipulation.  I didn't use the "heavy hitter" it still sits in my fridge.  After approximately 3 weeks or (3 adjustments), he has not had a single infection/allergy problem since.  He did also give him homepathic MSG spray to detox him of that.  He also suggested I give him flax seed oil,  magnesium,  vitamin C, and of course acidophilus, to give his body what he needed to work properly.  I try to offer a healthy diet but it seems there is always an occasion to interupt the balance. Even Sunday school (you know candy for behaving!)  Anyway,  this has been an answer to desperate prayer.  My son had even developed tics as  a result either of the infection or antibiotics. I've read varying opinions about that.  But they disappeared too. I hope this information helps, or maybe you can find someone that does cranialsacral manipulation.   

Offline Rene

• Adept
  • Crucified with Christ! :)
I definitely understand where you're coming from.  My 8 yr old developed a sinus infecton that wouldn't go away even after 5 rounds of anitbiotics.....I finally talked my husband into letting me take him to a chiropractor that uses cranial sacral adjustment/manipulation.  I didn't use the "heavy hitter" it still sits in my fridge.  After approximately 3 weeks or (3 adjustments), he has not had a single infection/allergy problem since.     
I have a friend who has 11 children - they all go to the chiro weekly for adjustments.  She said she has taken in kids with slight ear infections, or sniffles, and they walk out all cleared up.
(
  )
 (
__
\_/o   Rene' Helpmeet to Billy - 13  years!! Homeschooling Momma to Anna - 12, Melissa - 9, and Holly - 7

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Yeast is probably the underling cause so be sure to check out the links that HB posted. The Mayo clinic stated in 1999 that most chronic sinus infections are caused by fungus (yeast) NOT bacteria. If that's the case w/your son the antibiotics are only making it worse in the long run. I would use Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice. You could give him the drops or the pills. The drops cost less to use because you use less but they taste   :P& are strong. I think I could have gotten my kids to take it at 5 (don't know for sure- I started using it when the youngest was about 11) but we have always used the because I'm the mom, I said so & you need this approach to medicine so I don't get much argument out of them even on nasty tasting stuff. Anyway 2 drops of the extra strength under the tongue & a child's sinuses  start clearing a few mins later. I have given it to a child as young as 18 m. It is antibacterial, antifungal, & antiviral so it works whatever is causing the illness. Here's some threads that will help:

Help with lung infection
Bronchitis
oil of oregano, safe for children??
Oregano Oil Recommendation
"Brew"/Power Tonic
Cold, Cough, Phlegm, Congestion & Sore Throat Remedies
Ultra 3 Immune 

You will find more on Oreganol if you just enter Oreganol into the search. As far as the Super Tonic I haven't used it yet although I plan to make it. Judging by the ingredients, a few drops would do wonders for clearing a child's sinuses. For a child, I think I would mix it into a spoon of honey. You may not even need something like Super Tonic if you use Oreganol. The last cold my 12 y/o DS had he took 4-6 drops of Oreganol under the tongue several times a day & was over it in 2 days & it never went beyond a head cold.

Here's a thread w/lots of ways to clear stuffed up sinuses:

Wet Ears: Fluid, Plugged, Swimmers: Remedies & Pain Relief

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Edired b/c the original Plugged Ears thread I had linked to was later merged into another thread so I fixed the link.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 11:23:41 PM by herbalmom »

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
collodial silver. said it before i'll say it again. :) right up the ol sniffer and BAM. it's expensive i know but i have used for so many things for my little ones and it doesn't burn or have a bad taste or anything.
  i FELT it working on my horrific sinus infection and i hadn't felt anything thing else even come close to touching it.

by the way, regular store bought saline spray is safe right?

Offline krifflard

• Wide Eyed
I have the collodial silver spray now and have given him 1 spray/day for the last 2 days.  I have read so many scary things about it (as well as good) that I am hesitant to give him more.  What should his dosage be?

I am also now giving him the GOOT up the nose and on the soles of his feet and putting garlic in his meals once a day along with about 4 billion parts acidiphilus to help combat the yeast.  I agree that the infection can't be bacterial - otherwise 5 rounds of antibiotics would surely have killed it.

I think his sinuses are starting to drain a bit cause he is blowing his nose a little and he is complaining that his stomach is hurting a little(from the drainage I am hoping).  I was going to make the xclear but I am afraid of any reaction with the colloidal silver and/or overkill?  But if I should do that as well, how many times a day is safe?  Sorry for the questions but I am new to this.  I am used to buying drug store stuff and just following directions.  Thanks for everyone's input - I really appreciate it!

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
Re: Child's sinus infection still here after 5 rounds of antibiotics - HELP
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 04:46:17 AM »
My sister has sinus issues, and she recently tried hot water with some vinegar in it...on the stove...breathed in the steam. Said it was a miracle. Other than that I would keep it simple...coloidal silver, plus vitamins, plus tons of garlic....sounds like a good regimine.

Offline hodgy

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 04:09:19 AM »
The cranial sacral therapy/adjustment also helps the body clear of yeast supposedly.  I also felt my son had to have yeast issues after so many anitbiotics .( even though I was supp. probiotics)  I felt like I was running in circles and am so grateful to have been guided to this form of therapy.

JoyInHim

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 07:54:13 AM »
We had this same cycle of sinus infection - antibiotic - sinus infection.

This season, I decided that I would not treat sinus infection with antibiotics.  The first infection was several weeks long, but he hasn't had one since.  When he gets a stuffy or runny nose, I kick into high gear.  Steamy baths daily with tea tree oil, tea tree oil in humidifiers in the fam. & bedroom he is in.  Keep the nose clear (saline rinse in the tub).  Every morning, after clearing out the nose (no problem in a steamy bath), we blow it every 5 or 10 min. several times (during breakfast).  Then, I give him 1/4 teas. sage mixed in a bit of honey.  I do this every 3 or 4 hours to keep his nose clear (and keep the tea tree steam 'on' the sinuses.)

This has worked fantastic, and has given my son time to restore his 'good' bacs.  We also do not use anti-bacterial soaps or products in our home and avoid the rest room soaps (with antibi.)  They kill the good bac. as well as the bad.

Don't be afraid of green.  My MD said that the color is irrelavant - it is a large quantity of mucus that indicates infection.  Like any other infection, you want to clear it out and treat it.

The acidopholis is great.  Good health to your son : )

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 05:16:03 AM »
I have a 13-month-old daughter who has pretty much kept a runny nose since she was quite young (newborn).  She's the youngest of five children and they will get runny noses that resolves quickly.  Hers last and last and last.  Get the picture?  It will start out clear and then turns to green within two days and stays green and just pours for days and days.  Only a couple of times has it resolved on its own.  She's been breast-fed exclusively and I just now started introducing a small amount of whole milk so I don't think it's milk allergy.  She didn't start eating solids till she was 11 months old--cereal with fruit and veggies for hte first month and now she's eating the same foods we eat (all healthy stuff).  Again, I don't think it's food allergy as she's had the snot since she was very small but just now starting eating food and drinking whole milk.  I do not take my kids to the doctor for runny noses unless it just drags on and on...like a month.  I'm new to this "natural" stuff so I admit she's been on antibiotics two different times.  The last time, the kind they gave her tore up her gut and bottom big-time so I told the doctor already "never again!"  Both times, the antibiotic did clear her up, which makes me think it was a "secondary bacterial infection."  Hence the antibiotics.  She also does not sleep through the night as long as she's got the snotty nose.  She sleeps through the night while on the antibiotics and until the snot comes back.  I'm up all the time with her as a result!  So that tells me it is affecting her sleep and often her daytime naps.

My question...if it's environmental allergies (mold, dust), what can I give her to combat that?  What can I do to boost her immune system if she's just very susceptible to viruses and can't fight them off?  If the antibiotics have weakened her immune system (yeast), what can I do for a 13-month-old?  I completely agree with the chiropractor thing but our insurance doesn't pay well for that and we can't afford it or I'd take all my kids at the first sign on illness.  Any help would be appreciated as I'm tired of what we have come to call "Snot Fest '07."

Offline zmama

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
Emily Jean--She only gets a few sips of milk maybe every couple of days as I'm still nursing her most of the time and want to introduce it slowly.  I've just read the book Understanding the Mysteries of Autism and PDD and wonder if milk is really necessary anyway.  Just can't find an alternative we can afford or that doesn't contain soy.  I did try taking milk out of her diet for a week or two wtih no changes.  Can a baby/toddler have these symptoms from the milk/dairy that I ingest?

HB--thanks for the links!  Very helpful!  I have read some of them but must not have seen the ones that applied to children.  Thanks again!

Offline mercy

• Thankful to be His and his.
  • Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
Amen, and YES to everything HealthyBratt said.  I too used to have chronic drainage and sinus infections till I got off dairy (milk is a mucous-maker; you certainly don't need more of that while you have a sinus infection!)  But the reason I am so sensitive to dairy is because of an ongoing problem with candida, which produced a leaky gut, which resulted in milk sensitivities.

As for what you can do right now, I agree that you should get the Xclear.  It is far better than just saline, though it does have some saline in it.  It also has xylitol and GSE (grapefruit seed extract), which is antibacterial and antifungal.  And definitely do the garlic. Garlic is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral.  Don't waste time with garlic pills; fresh garlic is far more potent.  He can have it in the form of goot applied inside and outside the nose, or garlic poultices.  To get it in him, make garlic tea (one crushed garlic clove in as much water as you want to swallow, sweetened with a little honey--for kids and husbands with an aversion to garlic, I use about a tablespoon or two of water.  It's more concentrated, but they are done in one swallow.) 

Last fall a year ago I had a sinus infection that lasted seven months.  The first symptom was a very tender spot on the bridge of my nose.  It felt like a bruise, but there was no discoloration.  I went to the doc and got put on antibiotics.  Then the heavy drainage started.  I couldn't breathe through my nose at all and felt like I was choking on the drainage in my throat.  Five rounds of antibiotics later, I still had it and just as bad.  I decided to stop the antibiotics--they weren't helping, and I felt they were probably wreaking havoc with my gut, kidneys and liver.  But what to do?  That's when I read Rebekah Anast's (Beeyoutiful Girl) article in No Greater Joy on how to make garlic tea.  I didn't think it would cure me, but I hoped it might help me feel better, at least till I figured out what else to try.  I drank the first dose in the morning and by the end of the day, I felt better.  By the third day, I could breathe through my nose some of the time.  By the seventh day I was symptom free.  I kept taking it for another week though, since I had the infection sooo long.  I wanted to make sure it was really gone.  And it was!  And that was only with garlic tea.  I didn't even know about Xclear or goot back then! 
I hope your little one will be feeling much better soon.  We will be praying for him, and you too.
Psalm 73:25 Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.

Offline kcs79sun

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 08:20:58 AM »
For any infection with kids, I recommend probiotics.  They are basically the opposite of antibiotics.  Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria leaving you more susceptible to another infection so if you are ever on antibiotics, you need to take probiotics after.  Garden of Life is a good probiotic brand, although it's expensive.  There are a ton out there and it can be overwhelming so ask around (most need refrigeration).  Also, a good chiropractor can really help infections.  Most people think they just help the back but if you find a good one (I emphasize good one that you hear is good through word of mouth), they treat everything naturally and look at the whole body.  I take my kids every week and we haven't had any major sicknesses since.  For more info on probiotics, read The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin.  He is all about natural healing and he is a doctor who doesn't do drugs, etc.  Great read.