Author Topic: Harsh shampoo in baby's eyes  (Read 5168 times)

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
Harsh shampoo in baby's eyes
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
Last night my 5 month old got some Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo in her eyes during a bath (her doctor recommended it for cradle cap). I rinsed her eyes out as much as I could but, they are still red and teary this morning.(I soaked a wash cloth with fresh water and tilted her head back and squeezed it out onto her face a few times....not exactly a "proper irrigation"......) Does she need to be seen by the doctor right away, or can I wait till tommorrow when she has her appt.? I was getting nervous if there might be some crazy chemicals in the shampoo that could burn her eyes or something. she is not crying or anything, but her eyes look irritated. Should I try to rinse them out again? Thanks for any help.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Harsh shampoo in baby's eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:19:08 AM »
I don't know if you should see a doc or not, but if you have any plain saline around (for contacts) it helps to irrigate/soothe better than tap water. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 08:30:12 AM »
Thanks, I never thought of saline, what about saline nose drops? Are they the same thing?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 08:53:44 AM »
Thanks, I never thought of saline, what about saline nose drops? Are they the same thing?
I don't know.  I use plain saline solution for contact lenses.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 09:35:10 AM »
I agree w/the saline conact solution. I haven't worn contacts for years but I always keep a bottle around for washing things out of the eyes. Be sure that you get a sensitive eyes formula.  Reg. saline eye solutions can contain  THIMARISOL (sp?). It is a mercury compound, it's used as a preservative, & it can be very irritating to the eyes. Sensitive eyes formulas don't contain it. She  won't like it but probally the best way to rinse her eyes it to lay her on her back on some towels, hold her eye open, & repeatedly flood her eye w/the saline.   

As far as the cradle cap, Head & Shoulders contains antifungals which is probally why the Dr said to use it. You could add a few drops of GSE to reg. baby shampoo & get an antifungal shampoo without all the chemicals in Head & Shoulders. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Mothers Medicine Cabinet

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 04:41:05 PM »
 I hope your baby is okay? There is a complete line of children's products called KIDScents which has NO chemicals, NO artificial dyes, and NO harmful ingredients. That I have been using since the birth of my son (7 months ago) and we love it. It's pure and so safe you evn eat it.

It's formulated with therapeutic-grade essential oils in it to brings elements of nutrients, enzymes, vitamins, minerals, antibodies, and antifungal, antibacterial, anti-infectious, antiseptic, and immune-stimulating properties to the body.

You can order Kidscents from this link https://www2.youngliving.com/signup/?sponsorid=859729&enrollerid=859729

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:07:27 AM by Mothers Medicine Cabinet »

Offline Naomismama

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 11:53:14 PM »
your poor baby! i hope she is better! i don't have much advice for what to do about her eyes but i know for my daughter i never used any shampoo or soap on her head unless she gets somthing real sticky in her hair and then i might use a little kirks castille soap on that spot. otherwise i just squirt a little natural ecosaver dishsoap in her bath water and dont use any kind of soaps directly on her skin and she is always very clean and smells fine! when she was little and had cradle cap, i would wait until she was asleep to take care of it. i'd lay her head on my lap and rub some olive oil or coconut oil on her head. then i would use one of her baby hair brushes and brush her head back with a little pressure (from her forehead to the back of her head) and all those scales from the cradle cap (she had it pretty bad) would actually just brush right off! Once I did it, it came back only one time and it was fine after that. maybe that would be a good natural alternative for you! HTH and your baby is feeling better!
Check out my yahoo group, (or PM me) for info on my baby slings!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/santinasslings/