Author Topic: Kombucha: Health Benefits  (Read 21293 times)

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
Re: Kombucha: Health Benefits
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 05:34:40 AM »
Has anyone ever tried "pressing" the mother/baby?

I have been reading a book, Kombucha The Miracle Fungus, by Harald Tietze and he mentions that some people when traveling will press the fungus for Kombucha extract and take these drops with them.  This gives you a highly concentrated form of the effective parts normally found in the beverage.  You then put about 15 to 20 drops in water.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 09:39:11 AM »
bump
For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »
We've never tried this, but it sounds interesting. We have that book- which page does it mention this?

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
We've never tried this, but it sounds interesting. We have that book- which page does it mention this?

page 35, titled, Kombucha - pressed extract for diabetics and on travels.....

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 06:01:50 PM »

Got that in my book too by Gunther w. Frank.  It is supposed to be more concentrated and contain things other than the regular beverage since it is actually a liquid made from squeezing the living daylights out of a scoby.  Haven't done it myself, but G.W. Frank recommends using a garlic press and muslin.  He says it's very labor intensive and that is is usually made with a pharmeceutical press and sold commercially in Europe in some places.

Sounds slimy to me.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 01:55:19 AM »

Got that in my book too by Gunther w. Frank.  It is supposed to be more concentrated and contain things other than the regular beverage since it is actually a liquid made from squeezing the living daylights out of a scoby.  Haven't done it myself, but G.W. Frank recommends using a garlic press and muslin.  He says it's very labor intensive and that is is usually made with a pharmeceutical press and sold commercially in Europe in some places.

Sounds slimy to me.

Sarah K

my book didn't really give any details about "how to", had thought about the garlic press - good to know - it might be therapeutic to squeeze the living daylights out of a scoby ;D  We are going on a 10 day vaca soon, so I'm gonna try it, I'll let you'all know how it goes and if it gives the same benefits.......any more ideas or info ?

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 09:58:42 AM »

My sister came for a visit and I had her try Kombucha and also gave her a couple SCOBY's. She started making it when she arrived home and now is drinking some every day.

Usually she cannot eat fat in about any form without getting sick. Also, her stomach often hurts for no apparent reason.She told me this morning that she thinks Kombucha is taking care of her stomach problems. WOW! These have been a problem for quite some time. She had only been drinking it for about a week.
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2007, 02:17:03 AM »
A lot of times people have gallbladder problems when they can't eat fat without trouble.  They just can't properly digest and metabolize fat.  That is good to know that the bucha can help with that, too!
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline NotLuckyButBlessed

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 05:51:08 AM »
I agree. I think the probs with fat are probably her gallbladder. She also had these mysterious stomach aches.Could still be related to her gallbladder or ???

Somewhere online I read that different ph's help with different ailments. Interesting. I will have to try to find where it was. It was when I was searching to try to find out what the proper ph for bucha is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:21:25 AM by NotLuckyButBlessed »
View my blog at www.ButIHadATiara.blogspot.com
(private, request an invite by messaging me:)

"Sometimes we fear that fighting for what is right will kill us. Then it occurs to us that to stand by and do nothing out of self-preservation is to be dead already". ~ Beth Moore

Mom to treasured XXXXYX

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 08:15:01 AM »
We have been drinking Kombucha regularly for about 7 months.  We have not had any health benefits that I can think of except one that's pretty exciting for my food budget.  We buy almost no pop at all anymore.  We have gone from two or three 2-liter bottles a week to one bottle that lasts our family of 12 (11 drinkers) for a month.  That's less sugar, less artificial stuff, less $$, less trips to town, and more.  We like something carbonated with foods like burgers, pizza, sandwiches and chips.  Bucha fits the bill very nicely. 

So, if there are no other benefits than that - I'm still satisfied.

Sarah K

JoyInHim

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2007, 08:35:59 AM »
Forgive me if anyone posted this...boy, I searched 'kombucha' here and am rather overwhelmed, lol!

Today I was drinking some and wondering how many calories were in a glass, and how it might play with weight loss, etc.  I came up with this (from a product site) and thought others might want a look:

Contents: Kombucha from organic oolong tea, organic cane sugar, organic lemon flavor.

Serving size 8.5 fl oz. (252 ml)
One serving per bottle
Calories – 60
Total Fat 0g - 0% DV
Sodium 0mg – 0% DV
Total Carb. 16.25g - 6% DV
Sugars 8g
Protein 0g

Offline InEverything

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2007, 11:21:54 AM »
Would anyone be interested in doing a brief comparison of the health benefits of Kombucha versus apple cider vinegar?  They seem to be similar, but Kombucha just tastes a lot better!  I was interested in knowing which was more beneficial to digestion and the liver.
Thank you in advance!
"in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thes. 5:18

Offline Amey

• Adept
    • Amey's Blog
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2007, 03:52:11 PM »
Just wanted to post my kombucha testimonial  ;)

I developed a patch of eczema on the palm of my right hand last year in August. I've tried many many things to get rid of it including diet changes, supplements, constantly wearing gloves, etc. The only thing that seemed to help (unfortunately) was the steroid cream my dr. prescribed. But since I started drinking kombucha in May, I've only had to use the cream a few times (I haven't used it at all in the last month). You can't even tell where the eczema used to be. I'm just thrilled to pieces.

JoyInHim

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2007, 07:36:44 AM »
*Gulp*

Call me a skeptic...but yeah, I have a very difficult time believing K. can do ALL that, lol.  Cure grey hair, now, too? 

Personally, we've been making it for some time here, and drink it in -faith- that we are aiding the digestion and helping the immune system somewhat. 

I honestly have absolutely NO way to prove this.

On the other hand, a good strong cup of camomile or catnip tea definitely helps me relax and have a good night sleep.  THAT I can vouch for.....but the jury is still out for Kumbucha.    It's fermented tea.   ;)

Those of you who have been using Kombacha, do you have any benefits from using this tea?  There are a lot of claims on the internet.  It seems to cure almost everything from gray hair to obesity to cancer. 

Any testimonies?  I would love to learn more, especially how it may be helping any of you.

I just started my first batch, and am very excited to try it!  ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
Hasn't done anything for my grey hair unless making more of it counts. :-\
  My favorite herb book!!

JoyInHim

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 07:59:49 AM »
Your family might like homemade ginger ale, then, too.  Other than being really low in sugar (compared to pop), ginger is excellent especially when someone is ill.  We like it with our Pizza.  It is easier than Kombucha to make - I make it with just a pinch of yeast, and that makes it supper fizzy.  If you rather not have the yeast, just serve it half/half with tonic water.

Just google for the recipe.  : )  N.T. has one, but I don't care for it (uses goat whey instead of yeast).

We have been drinking Kombucha regularly for about 7 months.  We have not had any health benefits that I can think of except one that's pretty exciting for my food budget.  We buy almost no pop at all anymore.  We have gone from two or three 2-liter bottles a week to one bottle that lasts our family of 12 (11 drinkers) for a month.  That's less sugar, less artificial stuff, less $$, less trips to town, and more.  We like something carbonated with foods like burgers, pizza, sandwiches and chips.  Bucha fits the bill very nicely. 

So, if there are no other benefits than that - I'm still satisfied.

Sarah K

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 09:00:17 AM »
*Gulp*

Call me a skeptic...but yeah, I have a very difficult time believing K. can do ALL that, lol.  Cure grey hair, now, too? 

Personally, we've been making it for some time here, and drink it in -faith- that we are aiding the digestion and helping the immune system somewhat. 

I honestly have absolutely NO way to prove this.

On the other hand, a good strong cup of camomile or catnip tea definitely helps me relax and have a good night sleep.  THAT I can vouch for.....but the jury is still out for Kumbucha.    It's fermented tea.   ;)

I think Kombucha is like any other supplement or super food we take. Depending on your body's needs you will or will not be able to notice any benefits. For instance, when I take Supermom I really don't feel any different than when I don't take it. My husband takes Superdad and notices his hair and nails grow faster. The responses to Kombucha are different for everyone. Or maybe its something else they are taking, eating, or doing differently and they give bucha the credit. ;D :-\
Just my 2 cents.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 11:34:31 AM »
And here I was thinking it was the kids!  :P ::) ;D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2007, 06:13:29 PM »

I had a grey hair AFTER drinking Kombucha. hmmm.....
Think the Kombucha gave me the grey hair? (so far it has been one)  :D
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2007, 06:23:17 PM »
I had a grey hair AFTER drinking Kombucha. hmmm.....
Think the Kombucha gave me the grey hair? (so far it has been one)  :D
ONLY ONE?! Hmmm  >:( Well, I'll just have to let that one go . . . :-X
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
ONLY ONE?! Hmmm  >:( Well, I'll just have to let that one go . . . :-X

It was quite the traumatic experience SC!!!

Later that week my husband was looking at our honey moon pictures and commented on how much older I look. I told him he looked the same (and meant it)!!

He decided the reason I look (ah-hem MUCH) older is because I was a teenager when we were on our honeymoon.

Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2007, 03:26:19 PM »
Hey! I was wondering if you would have an extra scoby on hand to share.  I have done quite a bit of reading about kombucha, but have not as yet been able to obtain one.   I tried the Kombucha Exchange three times and finally got a response, but my dh wasn't thrilled with me sending our physical address to some stranger I had emailed once.  Also, could you send me your 5 gal. recipe and tell me the brand or store where you get your organic tea?  (Wasn't it you that said you used organic tea bc of the fluoride in regular tea?  I have been on WellTellMe a number of times and read lots, so if that wasn't you . . .  sorry!) 

I chose you to reply to cuz we have four boys (no girls) and you drink kombucha! 
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2007, 04:50:17 PM »
Hey! I was wondering if you would have an extra scoby on hand to share.  I have done quite a bit of reading about kombucha, but have not as yet been able to obtain one.   I tried the Kombucha Exchange three times and finally got a response, but my dh wasn't thrilled with me sending our physical address to some stranger I had emailed once.  Also, could you send me your 5 gal. recipe and tell me the brand or store where you get your organic tea?  (Wasn't it you that said you used organic tea bc of the fluoride in regular tea?  I have been on WellTellMe a number of times and read lots, so if that wasn't you . . .  sorry!) 

I chose you to reply to cuz we have four boys (no girls) and you drink kombucha! 

Welcome, biecmom! Who were you meaning this post to be addressed to? You didn't mention a name, but referred to "you" a few times.  If you want to quote someone, you can click on the "reply with quote" link and then its obvious who you mean. Don't feel bad. Its OK to mess up on here when learning. ;)

Offline biecmom

• Learning
  • "Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2007, 05:39:44 AM »
This subject sure caught my eye! Our family has been brewing Kombucha for several months now and can hardly keep up with the demand even though we brew 5 gallons at a time!  ;D All our kids love it and it is so refreshing after working outside. We, too would have lots of extra mushrooms if anyone wants one.

For info I'll quote from Nourishing Traditions: "...the Kombucha "mushroom" (which is actually a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) acts on sugar and tea to produce not only acetic and lactic acid but also small amounts of a potent detoxifying substance, glucuronic acid. Normally this organic acid is produced by the liver in sufficient quantities to neutralize toxins in the body- whether these are naturally produced toxins or poisons ingested in food and water. However, when liver function becomes overloaded, and when the body must deal with a superabundance of toxins from the environment-certainly the case with most of us today- additional glucuronic acid taken in the form of kombucha is said to be a powerful aid to the body's natural cleansing process, a boost to the immune system and a proven prophylactic against cancer and other degenerative diseases.

More importantly,kombucha is the cure for a hot day- it tastes delicious and refreshing. A fizzy, dark colored, energizing beverage, at the same time acidic and slightly sweet, this gift to the world from the Ural mountain region of Russia qualifies as the soft drink of the twenty-first century, the answer to the scourge of cola drinks that now wreaks havoc with the health of Western populations."

~B
Hey, lotsaboys! Thanks for the info and your patience. Do you have a scoby available? And would you pass along your 5 gal. recipe?
"Do the next thing" - Elisabeth Elliot

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2007, 06:28:20 AM »
We do our 5 gallons in 5 different 1 gal. cans. So its like doing a regular batch 5 times. :D This is our recipe:
15qt. water (or 4 gal, 1 qt.) bring to boil
5 C. sugar  Add to water and simmer til dissolved
Put in 20 tea bags (organic black tea)
Steep til lukewarm/room temp.
Pour into jars that have the scoby and 1/2 c. starter bucha

You can use less water for the boiling part and then add cold water to cool it down faster if you want.

We usually leave ours brew for 14 days. Then bottle and sit at room temp. for about 3 days before refrigerating. It depends on how sweet it still tastes when we bottle it as to how long we leave it sit out. If its already quite vinegary we refrig. it sooner and if sweet leave it sit out longer.

Hope this makes sense! :)

Offline ConsummoAmorNonBellum

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2007, 12:20:39 PM »
Anyone know if it does anything for IBS symptoms?

I've been drinking it regularly for a couple of weeks now, and I think it might have had some influence on my nastyugly daily IBS attacks. But as you can tell from all the italics, I can't be sure.

Has anyone lost weight on it? And if so, what is it in the 'booch that makes you lose weight?

What else has it been good for, that you folks here have personally experienced?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:30:43 PM by ConsummoAmorNonBellum »
"I will show love to the people...I will free them from their enemies—not with weapons and armies or horses and charioteers, but by my power as the Lord their God.”
Hosea 1:7

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2007, 12:22:52 PM »
This subject sure caught my eye! Our family has been brewing Kombucha for several months now and can hardly keep up with the demand even though we brew 5 gallons at a time!  ;D All our kids love it and it is so refreshing after working outside. We, too would have lots of extra mushrooms if anyone wants one.

For info I'll quote from Nourishing Traditions: "...the Kombucha "mushroom" (which is actually a symbiotic colony of yeast and bacteria) acts on sugar and tea to produce not only acetic and lactic acid but also small amounts of a potent detoxifying substance, glucuronic acid. Normally this organic acid is produced by the liver in sufficient quantities to neutralize toxins in the body- whether these are naturally produced toxins or poisons ingested in food and water. However, when liver function becomes overloaded, and when the body must deal with a superabundance of toxins from the environment-certainly the case with most of us today- additional glucuronic acid taken in the form of kombucha is said to be a powerful aid to the body's natural cleansing process, a boost to the immune system and a proven prophylactic against cancer and other degenerative diseases.

More importantly,kombucha is the cure for a hot day- it tastes delicious and refreshing. A fizzy, dark colored, energizing beverage, at the same time acidic and slightly sweet, this gift to the world from the Ural mountain region of Russia qualifies as the soft drink of the twenty-first century, the answer to the scourge of cola drinks that now wreaks havoc with the health of Western populations."

~B
Hey, lotsaboys! Thanks for the info and your patience. Do you have a scoby available? And would you pass along your 5 gal. recipe?

biecmom, did you get my pm about a SCOBY?

cecac

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2008, 05:24:56 AM »
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kombucha-tea/AN01658

Any thoughts on this?

I am hoping for some cheap B Vitamins going on for my family 5-6 days per week.  And some extra bacteria going on (although we get kefir too).

I'm not sure whether to consider this stuff that healthy or not, and there is a "dark side"  ;D to bucha, too.

I'll still make it, my family likes it, but I guess I'm hoping that there are some real benefits here.

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kombucha-tea/AN01658

Any thoughts on this?

I have read the article.  These are my thoughts after reading it and the information about the author.

The author is a registered dietitian & her area of practice is premature infant nutrition and related patient education. 

The author states a brief description of the brewing process and then notes that there is no direct evidence documented via human trial to indicate health benefits from drinking kombucha.  These points make sense to me and seem to be correct from the reading I have done up to this point.  I don't know of any double blind testing or any such thing with human subjects and I personally am certain such a study would not be printed in JAMA.

The rest of her article discusses the safety of drinking kombucha.  Her examples of the risks appear to be related to contamination. 

Her conclusion is to avoid Kombucha because there are no definitive studies reported to quantify risks or benefits.  She seems to conclude this based on contamination risks & incomplete documentation.

Because contamination is a risk, I guard against it and watch carefully for it.  I personally am not looking for any more documentation than the results I see in my own family.

cecac

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2008, 02:08:34 PM »
Thank you SarahK--I am going to go ahead and keep making it also, and perhaps I may see some improvements.  I have seen references on this thread to allergies.  We are finding a few of us that have a possible wheat allergy.  Perhaps this would be good to help along with the wheat free diet we are about to go on. :o ::) ::) 

In your reading, has there been much corroboration as concerns the b vitamin claims? 

Cara