Author Topic: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work  (Read 51791 times)

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
Re: Kombucha Variations: Teas & Flavors That Do & Don't Work
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2006, 06:09:33 AM »
No problem, this is interesting to me too, and we are refining the kombucha studies.  :)  I never liked teas with oil in them anyway, so I don't usually buy them. But I do love herbal teas. So it was just luck on my part. But I've been brewing for 8 months successfully, so I'm sure herbal teas are good to use!

-Rebekah

PS: I'd love to hear what kind of flavors and teas other ladies try and how the brews turn out!
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 06:14:50 AM »
I'm curious to know if the herbal teas would retain their original benefits after being cultured?

For instance, would red rasp leaf still be good for mother's milk, hormone problems and tummy aches?  Would catnip still make you sleepy?  Would peppermint still taste good and soothe and upset tummy(peppermint might not work because of oils ???).  Does ginger still help with motion sickness and build the immune system?

I've actually made the ginger stuff and it upsets my stomach, whereas the ginger tea made on the stove soothes a tummy ache, but this is just my experience.  Noone else in the house has complained of a tummy ache after drinking it.  Hubby said, he actually thought it helped a clogged sinus.

Also how, do you know which herbs have oils and which ones don't?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 06:16:25 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline leslieincali

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2006, 09:20:00 AM »
Ya'll have been chatty while I was sleeping. I always mess up the quote feature so I'll just try to remember all the questions/ comments.

1. My celestail seasoning box also lists natural flavorings with (contains soy lecithin) in parenthesis like that

2. I did use the top filter

3. I had washed the jar on the bottom shelf of the dishwasher before using. It had housed raw milk before that. I will try to rinse with boiling water next time.

4. I did throw the whole thing away.

5. It developed a translucent scum on the top with one big mold spot.

I will try again!!

Nickole

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2006, 04:49:37 PM »
I'm curious to know if the herbal teas would retain their original benefits after being cultured?

For instance, would red rasp leaf still be good for mother's milk, hormone problems and tummy aches? Would catnip still make you sleepy? Would peppermint still taste good and soothe and upset tummy(peppermint might not work because of oils ???). Does ginger still help with motion sickness and build the immune system?

I've actually made the ginger stuff and it upsets my stomach, whereas the ginger tea made on the stove soothes a tummy ache, but this is just my experience. Noone else in the house has complained of a tummy ache after drinking it. Hubby said, he actually thought it helped a clogged sinus.

Also how, do you know which herbs have oils and which ones don't?

HB, I just came across some things the other day in my book The Kombucha Phenomenon by Betsy Pryor and Sanford Holst.  They say using any herbal teas to brew destroys the health properties of the tea, as well as using decaf tea (almost no caffiene is left at the end of the brewing process anyway).  Says the babies will look good but just be yeast patties.  ANYONE KNOW HOW YOU CAN TELL IF IT'S JUST A YEAST PATTIE???? "You may as well be drinking a soda pop," it says.  Recommends using only green or black tea to brew but adding herbal teas afterward to taste, mixing it with the k-tea.       

The book also recommends not mixing the k-tea with strong juice to flavor, but dilute only with water to desired taste.  Says the juice MAY interfere with the healthful qualities.

Not sure if all this is right, but I just make straight, boring kombucha and drink it straight.  I thought to experiment with flavors but now I'm not sure.  Any thoughts anyone?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2006, 06:13:12 PM »
Not sure if all this is right, but I just make straight, boring kombucha and drink it straight.  I thought to experiment with flavors but now I'm not sure.  Any thoughts anyone?
Me too, except I throw some ginger kombucha into the mix and keep it handy for cold season.  The ginger is healthy, good for tummy aches and sinuses and it's kinda like drinking gingerale except it tastes better.
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2006, 06:16:53 PM »
Not sure if all this is right, but I just make straight, boring kombucha and drink it straight. I thought to experiment with flavors but now I'm not sure. Any thoughts anyone?
Me too, except I throw some ginger kombucha into the mix and keep it handy for cold season. The ginger is healthy, good for tummy aches and sinuses and it's kinda like drinking gingerale except it tastes better.

Same here - I do the ginger tip sometimes, which is very tasty. That's it though.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 09:57:12 AM »
I added some freshly chopped ginger to my Kombucha brew after a few days, and I am not sure if I have done it correctly.  It does not sink to the bottom, it just floats.  It is floating on top of the new scoby.  Is this what it is suppose to do?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 10:23:39 AM »
I added some freshly chopped ginger to my Kombucha brew after a few days, and I am not sure if I have done it correctly.  It does not sink to the bottom, it just floats.  It is floating on top of the new scoby.  Is this what it is suppose to do?
Mine does.  Sometimes it even sticks between the mother and the baby.  It won't hurt anything.  You just might have to take a little extra effort to peel the slices or chunks off when you harvest.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2006, 05:02:40 AM »
Thanks Healthy in OH :) I just read from that Gunther guy that the yeast in Kombucha actually helps fight the bad yeast in the gut. So, if it doesn't contain the baker's or brewer's that he's allergic to, it would be great for him to drink b/c we are in the process of healing up his gut and getting rid of bad yeast. Yay! :D I'll probably go ahead and give it a try. Now I just have to be careful what flavor I make it b/c he is allergic to raspberry, mango, cinnamon and his brother is allergic to strawberries. AH!! DH bought lemon zinger for me last night so we'll try that first. ;)

Thanks for the prayers Nickole!

I've never made Kombucha but from what I've read on this thread you have to use reg. tea because it needs to have caffeine. Lemon Zinger doesn't have reg. tea in it so I don't think it will work.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
hi all!  i am going to be trying my first batch soon, and was planning on trying beka's first from the beeyoutiful newsletter.  before i do, would you girls tell me which varieties your kids like best??  i would really like them to drink it!  thanks!  c.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2006, 05:29:17 PM »
hi all! i am going to be trying my first batch soon, and was planning on trying beka's first from the beeyoutiful newsletter. before i do, would you girls tell me which varieties your kids like best?? i would really like them to drink it! thanks! c.

We like the plain Kombucha made from black tea (bulkherbstore.com) and white sugar the best. I tried adding ginger the last batch I made and I really didn't care for the taste. However, I did let that batch go a little too long (14 days) and it was strongly vinegary tasting. So If you are just starting out, i'd just make the plain k. It's deliciously mild fizzy punch tasting. Definitely do a taste test at 10 days. Sometime it takes 10, sometimes 14. It all depends on the weather, the strength of the culture (mother/baby), & the amount of starter K you add (a couple tablespoons or a 1/2 c.) I've found a couple T. works good for me.  I do plan on experimenting further with ginger, and other flavored teas & will post back about all the exciting new concoctions I discover  ;D
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
Reply #346 on: December 30, 2006, 09:22:30 PM by fivewittletids
hi all! i am going to be trying my first batch soon, and was planning on trying beka's first from the beeyoutiful newsletter. before i do, would you girls tell me which varieties your kids like best?? i would really like them to drink it! thanks! c.

We really LOVE peach! Our favorite is Bigelow's Green Tea with Peach. Our Kombucha tastes like peach juice (as to flavor). Yum!

(I don't buy it online, but this is what it is: http://www.bigelowtea.com/shop/details.cfm?si=1&sc=3&pi=00130)
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »
Reply #346 on: December 30, 2006, 09:22:30 PM by fivewittletids

We really LOVE peach! Our favorite is Bigelow's Green Tea with Peach. Our Kombucha tastes like peach juice (as to flavor). Yum!

(I don't buy it online, but this is what it is: http://www.bigelowtea.com/shop/details.cfm?si=1&sc=3&pi=00130)

thanks for sharing!  i have seen this and will look to purchase some!   :D 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:37 AM »
Want a new twist?  ;D  Try a Kombucha Smoothie! :o  :D
Blend Kombucha with frozen fruit, my kids LOVED it. ;D
 We just did Frozen peaches and berry flavored Kombucha. YUMMY!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
hi all!  i am just getting ready to start my kombucha, and looking for the Celestial Seasoning's tea mentioned in the beeyoutiful newsletter.  has anyone else used it?  i found one online called Wild Berry Zinger, is this it???  thanks!

http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/zingers/wild-berry.html

Offline chopchop

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2007, 11:29:57 AM »
hi all!  i am just getting ready to start my kombucha, and looking for the Celestial Seasoning's tea mentioned in the beeyoutiful newsletter.  has anyone else used it?  i found one online called Wild Berry Zinger, is this it???  thanks!

Thats it!  :) I also like the Rasberry Zinger, that is what I am using at the moment, and we love peach.  Experiment and find your own favorite.  Have fun! ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »

Thats it! :) I also like the Rasberry Zinger, that is what I am using at the moment. Experiment and find your own favorite. Have fun! ;D

thanks very much!!!

Offline Clementine

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2007, 08:31:10 PM »
Please forgive me if any of this has been asked before.  I just couldn't read through all 13 pages.  Mother is near the bottom of the 1 gallon jar. ( :o) From what I have read, this is ok?  Also, I added ginger, but does it have to be fresh?  I just threw in some ginger root.  Will that work?  And how long is the mother good for, and do you just toss it when it is used up?
"I waited patiently on the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry." Psalm 40:1

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2007, 09:51:51 PM »
Please forgive me if any of this has been asked before.  I just couldn't read through all 13 pages.  Mother is near the bottom of the 1 gallon jar. ( :o) From what I have read, this is ok?  Also, I added ginger, but does it have to be fresh?  I just threw in some ginger root.  Will that work?  And how long is the mother good for, and do you just toss it when it is used up?

Don't blame you about the 13 pages... whew!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

Newbie Alert - I have only made 3 batches - Veterans, please correct me if I am wrong!!!
My mother did fine even though she was at or near the bottom. 
I have heard of people using fresh and dried ground ginger with simular results - but just like always, fresh gives a  ;) fresher ;) flavor.
From the reading I have done here and on other sites and according to the woman who gave me my first mother, it can just keep going.  As long as you keep it in glass with the proper sugar/tea mixture to nourish it, it should stay vital and make babies with each new batch. 
I'm not sure I will keep mine forever because, eventually, I will just have too many kombuchas!  ;D
Anyway, I hope this answered your questions and that any of the veterans on this forum will correct me if I am mistaken.
God bless,
mom24boys

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 08:29:28 AM »
I just harvested my second batch in a row using peach flavored green tea.  Both times the baby was paper thin.  Every time I use black tea the baby is nice & thick.  I did everything the same except kind of tea.  I am making the cranberry kombucha recipe today & noticed that she says on that site not to use green tea if you are wanting to produce babies for others because they turn out more wimpy.  Does this mean that there aren't as many beneficial properties in the kombucha made with green tea?  Just curious.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »
Okay, this may be a really stupid idea  :-\ but I was thinking..... if the scoby eats sugar and ferments the tea, thus making "kombucha" then would it make wine if you put it in grape juice?  What do you think would happen if you put a scoby in a gallon of grape juice and let it sit for awhile?  Just curious......  ::) ::) ???

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 03:25:03 PM »
Okay, this may be a really stupid idea :-\ but I was thinking..... if the scoby eats sugar and ferments the tea, thus making "kombucha" then would it make wine if you put it in grape juice? What do you think would happen if you put a scoby in a gallon of grape juice and let it sit for awhile? Just curious...... ::) ::) ???

abbilynn

I am not sure about the scoby, but you can use kefir grains to make like an alcoholic beverage.  It would be called kefir d'uva.  Here is a thread if you are interested:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1107.0.html

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
Hey, I might try that.  So far we've done lemon zinger flavor (it was okay, and not fizzy at all), and raspberry (really yummy and slightly fizzy).  I have one raspberry and one blueberry going right now.  The first time we went 10 days, one cup sugar and it was too sour.  So then we went seven days, one cup sugar and it seemed tastier b/c it was sweeter.  But the babies weren't very thick.  So.... next time I'm going to try the 1 1/2 cups sugar and 10 days or more and see how it turns out.  Do you sit yours on the counter to make them fizzy and then strain again to get the junk out that developed?

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!

earthymomof2

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 04:32:30 PM »
I like to put a slice or two of fresh ginger in the container that I'm storing the finished kombucha in.  I feel I don't want to "taint" the mushroom by adding the ginger prior to brewing, so I do this intead.  The finished kombucha takes on a nice gingery flavor this way. 

I've noticed my cultures are getting a little weaker.  I like mine to just barely taste sweet---more on the sour side, so I think I will need to let it go a few more days from now on.

On a side note, the kombucha-america.com site is up again.

And to bzymom, that is exciting!  I only discovered recently that you don't actually have to have a "starter" or a mushroom to get a batch going, but you can use just the tea and a new mushroom will form.  Amazing stuff!!!

Sarah (the newbie)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:36:22 PM by earthymomof2 »

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2007, 02:52:38 AM »
So, back to the original question a few weeks back:  What kind do you like best? 

We like a gallon water, 3 bags green tea, 2 bags Bigelow Blueberry Harvest, 1 1/3 cup sugar.   9 day brew time & 5+ day bottled time.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline linemansgirl

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2007, 03:08:17 AM »

So, back to the original question a few weeks back:  What kind do you like best? 

We like 1 gallon water, 5 Bigelow peach flavored green tea bags, 1 cup sugar, about 1/4 c. starter &  brew time of about 8 days.  Very peachy & yummy!  ;D  I have also added ginger to this which we really enjoyed too.
And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.    Galatians 6:9

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2007, 05:06:37 AM »
How do you know exactly if the flavored tea has oils in it?  Will it say "oil?"  I just bought some and the ingredients are:  honeybush, natural peach and apricot flavors with other natural flavors, dried honey, linden, and vanilla bean.  Is this okay?

abbilynn

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 06:44:59 AM »
hi guys!  i am on my second batch of ginger kombucha and was wondering if anyone puts the ginger "in" something while it's floating in the jar?  i didn't like having to pick it all off the scoby when i harvested it.  i thought of putting it in a coffee filter today, but would it detox it?  it is just a reg. bleached one.  same question with a white t shirt.  does anyone have a tried a true method of "hanging" the ginger in the jar?  thanks!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 09:12:45 AM »
hi all!  i am going to be trying my first batch soon, and was planning on trying beka's first from the beeyoutiful newsletter.  before i do, would you girls tell me which varieties your kids like best??  i would really like them to drink it!  thanks!  c.
Our fav. is the mandarin orange spice (Celestial Seasonings) and bl. tea. We also like lemon, peach, rasp., and berry zinger (all CS brand) flavors for variety. We haven't liked the green tea bases as well as the black...

Hey fivewittletids  :D you posted just a few seconds ahead of me ;D ;D

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 09:42:58 AM »
Our fav. is the mandarin orange spice (Celestial Seasonings) and bl. tea. We also like lemon, peach, rasp., and berry zinger (all CS brand) flavors for variety. We haven't liked the green tea bases as well as the black...

Hey fivewittletids  :D you posted just a few seconds ahead of me ;D ;D

the one i did was green tea with peach, but i also used 3 black tea bags.  it's really good, very light and refreshing.  i look forward to trying some of your varieties, thanks!  i think i have mand orange in my pantry!   :D