Author Topic: propolis and milk supply  (Read 2562 times)

Offline mommie

• Master
propolis and milk supply
« on: January 26, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »
It seems like my milk is low on days I take bee propolis...anyone notice anything liek this?

Offline YummyChicken

• Learning
Re: propolis and milk supply
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:17:38 AM »
Oh yey, i found something i was looking for too, but looks like no one wrote back to you. I had my dad buy me a sore throat spray called Echinacea Propolis from Herb Pharm, I used it Sunday and Monday, and yea, after that, my milk has been really low. Is it really from the propolis? Should i not use it at all then? Im scarred my milk wont come back, the last two nights, my baby has been really fussy, and my breasts really soft, so i dont think there was much milk in there. Anyone else know anything to this?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:06:34 AM »
O.kay so I'm on baby #3 now and I'm taking propolis but not like in excessive amounts and my milk seems to be fine (and btw w/ the last one last time when I posted that it didn't dry up) so maybe just lighten up on a bit, drink extra water ??? I think it will be ok thoguh...my kiddies are sick and my sis is getting ready to have a baby though so I'm getting ready to up my propolis dose...I'll let you know how it goes.. :) I nurse on demand though night and day she sleeps w/ me...this last week I've been taking it in other vits like elderzincpropolis tabs and haven't noticed a problem just started the straight propolis again today so we'll see...

Offline YummyChicken

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 11:11:02 AM »
oh ok, thats great! I hope then everything will be ok! I dont know, my milk went away with my first baby at 6 months, and im scarred if this time it will go away much sooner? I just got scared after i took that propolis spray and my milk started to decrease..but thanks for the info!

Offline Homeschool_Newbie

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 02:44:17 PM »
Does anyone have anymore info. on this? I am hoping to take something mild ( to boost my immune system) next month when I fly........I am nursing a 3 month old, and don't want to lose my milk supply.
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 07:39:37 PM »
I have definatlely noticed a decrease when I take it. BUT I have found after starting to take Red Raspberry leaf caps to try to balance my hormones that RRL greatly increases supply (I know its in Mama's milk tea, but didn't realize the RRL alone would do it!) So now if I am taking during the day I make sure I take one cap of the RRL in the morning. I do NOT take it at night though cause it seems to really increase my supply and I struggle w/ breast infections so I don't want overflow at night when she is SUPPOSE to be sleeping. Also if you are flying will you be more or less likely to nurse? I would experiement w/ the RRL. I hate it when I take it on a day when I will be out a lot and she will be distracted and not nursing as much (although on planes I nurse a lot for their ears) than I have full boobs all day...did I make any sense or just ramble endlessly ?

Offline Mrs. JDT

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 04:36:04 AM »
BUT I have found after starting to take Red Raspberry leaf caps to try to balance my hormones that RRL greatly increases supply (I know its in Mama's milk tea, but didn't realize the RRL alone would do it!)

Chrissyjoy- what kind of RRL caps do you take? Do you make them yourself?

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »
I have Nature's Way RRl certified 480 mg

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 12:59:41 PM »
Red Raspberry leaf caps to try to balance my hormones that RRL greatly increases supply (I know its in Mama's milk tea, but didn't realize the RRL alone would do it!)

Interesting. Thank you, ChrissyJoy..........
Blessed wife and mom of 5, going on 6 great kiddos... with more babies I can't wait to meet in heaven.

Offline stebs7

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 07:04:56 AM »
For me Kombucha greatly increased my milk supply - maybe drink a bunch of it before you have to fly???  By the way, I drink up to a quart some days so it is not a problem to drink alot - I drank Kombucha nearly everyday (and always alot because I love it) with my last 3 babies (of course they are 15, 12 and 8 so no longer babies!  )

You can eat really well before going as well such as spinach, beets, liver :) (yum), buckwheat groats, apples.

I seemed to have little milk when traveling also so had to make sure to have lots of good food (like car traveling across the country). 

You can special order meals on the plane - it gets you your meal first (often 20 minutes before others get theirs!).  I like ordering Indian or Asia food - so when they come looking for me they look at me and back at their list and ask if I am so and so, I said yes, that's me - because I don't look Indian or Asian! :)
Drink lots of water on the plane - even when you are not breastfeeding - you get easily dehydrated on planes (I have been on over 100 planes so have a little experience:)  long before I was a missionary (22 years), I was a travel agent so got lots of free trips - that was a great bonus - but I was young and stupid and went to Las Vegas 15 times when I should have been going to many more wonderful places!  How I wish sometimes that I could do my life over again, this time the right way - but I guess all my mistakes are food for God to use as I help others!

Oy, znowu pisalam za duzo i nie na temat - dostanie klapsa za to :)

That means, oh no, again, I wrote too much off topic...... :)

Propolis - one of my favorite natural remedies :)  My bee keeper saves me all of his raw propolis for the whole year - but he is 81 and now his daughter is taking over his bee hives and she doesn't have time to collect the propolis..........sad.........:(

Blessings, Nancy in Poland

• Adept
  • The best of summer...
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 01:22:38 PM »
Nancy! ( loved your post :))  What type of kombucha do you drink? I have tryed the " trilogy".......could barely get it down! Maybe I could find a health food store and drink kombucha and take propolis on my vacation?

Offline stebs7

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
Nancy! ( loved your post :))  What type of kombucha do you drink? I have tryed the " trilogy".......could barely get it down! Maybe I could find a health food store and drink kombucha and take propolis on my vacation?

Hi newbie :

I have no idea what the trilogy is!  I have always taken my Kombucha straight :)  Except the times we have made it with Birch leaves - which are really the only other thing other than black (or they say green) tea leaves that it should be brewed with.  It is helpful for cancer with the Birch leaves.

I just made a batch tonight  so that my kids can drink it while we are in England next week.  I make 10 litres per week - and that is gone in 3 days  - I need to get another 10 litre crock and make it 2 x per week to have enough for our family - although mainly there is 3 of us that drink the most.

I have seen the Kombucha they sell in stores - but to me that is like selling milk in stores - not the same as when it comes straight from the crock!

I just looked up at the subject  Re: propolis and milk supply!  guess this should be on the Kombucha thread - you want to get me in trouble :) ?

Let me know if this helps or not at all :)

Blessings, Nancy in Poland (I strained 30 liters of apple cider  for making vinegar tonight - pouring the crushed apples that had been in crocks for 8 -9 days into net bags and squeezing and squeezing and squeezing.  I think I will make apple juice with my Champion juicer next time and see if that will make the same kind!)  I am always pleased when I have done something big like that - feel productive!  Something accomplished - not just dishes to do or food to be cooked  - though I don't mind doing those, its just that it has to be done each day - ACV is just once a year!