Author Topic: Grunt  (Read 2462 times)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
Grunt
« on: January 23, 2007, 07:53:42 PM »
ok i'm  throwing this one out there. this is tough to explain but my 2yr old daughter always grunts when she is doing something. i mean not grunting as a form of communication but like everything she does is taking alot of effort. whether it be get her dollies outta bed, putting her socks on, getting in her booster seat...EVERYTHING.  i don't know if this outta habit now but she has done it since she was a wee thing...as long as i can remember. i get frustrated sometimes-i dunno why. but just right now i was trying to get her and her bro to sleep and she is tossing and turning and fixing her blanket and grunting the entire time!!  come to think of it even drinking and eating is LOUD with her. like she can't breath at the same time.
  anyone else ever hear of this? i guess it's no big deal-some grunting is associated with asthma but i don't think that's the case here. it's just like she has to take LOUD extra breaths to do anything.  Well i can't complain to much since me being  7 months pregnant everything seems to be an extra effort for me too.  :)
  anyways, i just thought i'd throw this one out since people ask me why she does that all the time.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Grunt
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 05:21:19 AM »
My kids have some annoying habits like this, but when I stop and think about it, I realize they picked them up from me or daddy.  It's just so common for us to make a sound or roll our eyes and we don't realize that we do it until we see our kids mimic our behavior.   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 05:44:07 AM »
Kittyninja,

Since I can't be there to see/hear what is happening, my rule of thumb is to go with the parent's gut instinct. If it is something that seems outside of the normal range to you, then it is a problem.

I would check for things like excess mucus production. She is too young to tell you that she is congested. And if that is her constant state, it may feel 'normal' to her. But clues to it are lots of saliva production and loud breathing as well as the noises she is making. Also making noise during eating would be a clue. My little guy had lots of fluid behind his ears that made swallowing a painful experience. If you aren't seeing a runny nose, that doesn't mean there isn't any congestion. If the mucus is very thick, it can be stuck deep in the sinus cavity and leave just a small passageway for breathing.

I would recommend lots of fluids -- maybe some marshmallow tea -- and eliminating mucus producing foods from her diet. Monitor her response, and you'll know if you are on the right track. The dietary changes should reduce the amount of mucus. The marshmallow (the herb, not the candy) tea will help her get rid of the mucus. Lots of fluids will help thin the mucus. HTH
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 06:16:04 AM »
NURSING!!! she always grunted while nursing! She was the loudest little thing! she would also stop breathing and turn blue and i would have to give her a few smacks in the back to get her going. It all seems respiratory, i'm sitting here listening to her grunting while she is playing legos with her bro.  :D
   i know my son got the humming while eating thing from his dad-his mom used to threaten him if he hummed anywhere else!!
 i don't mind it so much now because i realized he only hums when he is
REALLY enjoying his food!!
   if it is just habit now no biggie, my hubby brought it up last night and we got curious. 

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 06:30:35 AM »
Maybe she's going to be a tennis star.  Those girls grunt every time they hit the ball.  Heeeeeeyaaah!   :D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 06:36:09 AM »
Sounds like she formed a habit and it is developing into a "semi-normal" tic.  :D  My daughter has had different noises on and off.  Surprisingly, they have almost completely disappeared from the addition of raw milk in the diet.  But sounds like she just likes the "comforting" sound of her body making the noise.  It seems more annoying than it is detrimental to their health.   You could always check out this thread to find any similar things:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1428.0.html

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 06:44:42 AM »
I also think it is a habit/comfort thing.  My older son always grunted when he nursed and EVERYONE stared at me like, "Good grief lady, don't you ever feed that kid?!"  You said she's 2, is she speaking well otherwise?
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 06:47:13 AM »
The additional information about breathing/respiratory problems makes me lean further in the direction of congestion. Again, if a parent raises a red flag, I take it more seriously than just a habit. God didn't give mama those instincts for nothing.

In addition to eliminating mucus producing foods, giving her lots of fluids, and something to cut the congestion, I might consider having her oxygen levels checked. Her development will suffer over time if her oxygen levels are down.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:01 PM »
I also think it is a habit/comfort thing.  My older son always grunted when he nursed and EVERYONE stared at me like, "Good grief lady, don't you ever feed
that kid?!"  You said she's 2, is she speaking well otherwise?
  she speaks as well as a 2 yr old can :D! she doesn't use  the grunts caveman style like for a form of communication.  it's basically just doing ANYTHING! last night she was hanging onto daddy's back during prayer and gruntin in his ear the whole time. that's when he asked "why does she do that all the time??"

Maybe she's going to be a tennis star.  Those girls grunt every time they hit the ball.  Heeeeeeyaaah!   Cheesy

she's pretty athletic so maybe amazon tennis star is right up her path? ;D :-\
The additional information about breathing/respiratory problems makes me lean further in the direction of congestion. Again, if a parent raises a red flag, I take it more seriously than just a habit. God didn't give mama those instincts for nothing.

In addition to eliminating mucus producing foods, giving her lots of fluids, and something to cut the congestion, I might consider having her oxygen levels checked. Her development will suffer over time if her oxygen levels are down.

anyways, i would off and on pay attention to it and she breathes hard through her nose..like she is always congested. i've thought about o2 levels also, so i might just do that ,SC, and get it checked/ruled out.

thanks ladies, i can pass on the helpiness to hubby also!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:40:57 AM »
ok i started this thread because of my daughter who still grunts some but not as obvious...or maybe i just got use to it. well now my 5 week old has been gruntin since the day i brought him home. sometimes he sounds like a goat too. i think i am on a farm...gruntin pigs and baaaaing.
 anyways, he does it ALLLL night!! in his sleep and not. he doesn't really cry-i often just wake up to his louder more desperate grunts and see him trying to nurse on his blankie...
    i have flipped him onto his tummy for naps and guess what?!?! no more grunts...just when he is trying to wake up. breathing related?

he is still congested deep in there. i dunno- i guess we'll just see- noone has ever heard a baby sound like this before. sometimes it is so bad my hubby has to get up and sleep somewhere else.
    he does make cooing sounds and he does cry so i am not worried about communication skills.
  anyways, just throwing this out their again just cos i thought it was funny!
   if any one else's newborn sounds like LAAAAAMMMMBBBERRRTTTT or a wild boar let me know.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:31:32 PM »
This post is over 2 years old, but I just wanted to share that I think I have made a discovery to why she grunts. I believe it is an allergy- perhaps dairy not sure. I have just started noticing more her doing it and thinking about what she ate it always coincides with dairy! The only other things that point to an allergy are fishy breath and shiners- perhaps her behavior also.
   Her baby sister does the same thing and she is also congested which I am treating as a dairy allergy but I am not certain yet- I have been off dairy 99.99999% (forgot not to lick the whipped cream bowl after i made some for my mom- oh and some icecream cake for her bday!) Anyways- I may post this in the allergy thread. Anyone else out there notice this in their little ones?
kn

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I missed this thread before. You're probably right about the dairy allergy. Read Dr Lendon Smith's books. (most libraries have them) He talks a lot about kids that cluck, clear their throat, etc from allergy causing mucus to hang in the back of the throat like rubber bands- can't see it but it's always irritating them so they try to clear it & the result is funny noises.

He talks a lot about low blood sugar as well which is something I know that you have had issues with DD with before also.

Feed Your Kids Right is probably the best one to start with

http://www.amazon.com/Feed-Your-Right-Lendon-Smith/dp/0440127068

Even if you don't use the diet he recommends, his books have lots of good info that apply to your situation.   

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
This is one thread I have never seen.   ::)  :D

I think there's something to noisy babies and allergies..curious to hear more...

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »
well you ladies were missin out!!Sheesh it's been here for almost 3 years!! Must have been before you loved me  :'(  :D!!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
We were at a seminar on allergies given by Dr. Lendon Smith when our oldest was around 3 or 4 yrs old.  Dr. Smith was elaborating on the appearance of a child with food allergies when he looked straight at our son, pointed to him, and said, "There's the kind of child I mean."   :o

Yesterday I was listening to this 'child', now grown, on a CD he sent me of a sermon he preached.  I noticed that he still has the characteristic soft grunt and sniff that means he's had dairy or sugar. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 03:32:35 PM »
Can I use the excuse that I joined WTM the month before before the thread started & didn't know my way around yet?  ;) ;)

J/K 

I wish I had noticed a lot sooner, I'm sure you would have loved to have the info before this.

Ladyhen, my oldest DS is 23 & even today he 'clucks', has allergy shiners, pale skin, etc- Dr Smith would have said the same about him, I'm sure.

The ADDICTIVE part of the allergy is what gets my whole family when it comes to staying away from all allergenic foods.  ::) ::) It took me months after I decided to quit to actually give up Pespi. Even now I've only been off it for 2 weeks but I already feel better now that the withdrawal headaches are gone.