Yes
6 (26.1%)
No
15 (65.2%)
I don't know
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 06, 2007, 06:32:46 PM

Author Topic: Herpes  (Read 21259 times)

Asthedeer1

Re: Herpes
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »
LOL that is why I said PM me but hey it does'nt embaress me I just was'nt sure if I should mention sexual things.  Now we all know! 

Rebecca :)

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2007, 07:10:01 PM »
[quote author=KristenA link=topic=5007.msg52745#msg52745

But, this thread IS kind of graphic for unmarried folks. Maybe we should put a warning on this since this forum is also used by the kiddies.

[/quote]
I was just looking at the adorable baby in your pic and thinking what an unlikely topic for her to be a part of! ;)
LKS

Asthedeer1

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »
For unmarried folks, I would think it would be better to find out sooner than later.  I think a lot of married people go into marriage not knowing much on these topics because no one took the time to tell them or thought they were too young to understand.  This was my experience.  As for the children I agree, I did'nt know children read the forum.  Their parents should take the time to explain things such as this to them.  I want my children to find out from me not the world. 

Rebecca :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2007, 08:15:39 AM »
Okay, Kristen is correct when she says that Herpes WARTS are different than HPV WARTS.  I asked my gynecologist two weeks ago and I asked the same way:  "Are herpes warts the same thing as genital warts"?  She said yes, but then said: "Do you mean genital or HPV"?  Well, I never thought to differentiate between HPV and genital, but supposedly I said genital while thinking HPV in my head.  Must have been the confusion.  So, with that out of the way.

Apparently, my recent infection was not HPV afterall, but a herpes breakout.  I was so excited! LOL!  I can work with herpes, but HPV could lead to cancer.  So, here is the weird part, I was never diagnosed with herpes in my life.  Hubby was a virgin and never kissed a girl, but always struggled with cold sores.  In fact, the week of the breakout(when I say breakout there was only 1) everyone in the house had a virus.  WEIRD!!  So, that is how I got it.

Must say that GOOT made it go away in a day!
Also, had a negative HPV pap, so looks like the Lord still healed me, afterall.  I love Him!!  ;D

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »
Well I have these blisters on my hands and I can't figure out what they are but I've been wondering if it's related to herpes.  I've never had a cold sore, but I'm wondering if you can have warts in some places and not others?  Like only fever blisters, or only warts you know where, or only blisters on my hands?  These are not warts in the sense of just put some Compound W on them; they're not cylinders.  They are blisters.  Just trying to put a name on this.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 09:32:44 AM »

Must say that GOOT made it go away in a day!
Also, had a negative HPV pap, so looks like the Lord still healed me, afterall.  I love Him!!  ;D

Thats so cool. Like my 6 year old says " God rocks dont He mom?"

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »
Hey BJ is that a cheese grater in your picture?

And do you think goot on my hands might help my blisters?

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2007, 09:37:13 AM »
Hey BJ is that a cheese grater in your picture?

And do you think goot on my hands might help my blisters?

I think an herb for healing would work well.
Garlic oi, echinacea, plantain....anything that is great for healing.

But, if it is some sort of fungal infection, the GOOT probably won't help.
I would start with some sort of dead sea salt rub.

I reading ABC Herbal right now.
uhh... that is THE BEST book. I started with all these complicated herb books. I wish I would have read this first.
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:13 AM »
Okay.  Thanks so much.  I've tried tea tree oil and hyro-cortisone.  Neither helped.  Let me know if you come across something.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2007, 11:38:15 AM »
Yep it was a cheese grader. My friend was being silly and sent it to me as a joke.      :D

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
New article and cooresponding video by Doctor Mercola, on the differences between canker or cold sores and herpes: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/14/Are-Cold-Sores-Really-Herpes-Heres-the-Truth.aspx

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2010, 06:15:31 AM »
Updating with more information about remedies for genital HSV2.  Homemade salve works great at healing bumps. I made one this summer with half EVOO and OEVCO.  Placed comfrey, St. John's wort, plantain, calendula, lavender, and aloe vera.
Any other salve:  Miracle or Eden would work.

There is conflicting information about the cross contaminating of HSV1(cold sores) and HSV2(genital).
Herpes can be found with a blood test. I have always tested negative for it in the past, but can't quite figure out why and how I have outbreaks 3-4x a year?  Like I said before, hubby has reoccurring cold sores every now and then, and had plantar warts in the past. But never had intercourse before me. ??  So, the only obvious way that I contracted something is if my husband is a carrier for HSV1.
Weird.
Also, my outbreaks always occur WITH my menstrual cycle. Haven't figured out how or why that is, yet?

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2010, 06:20:31 PM »
So, I just ran across this thread today.  I was diagnosed with genital herpes when my first child was about a year old.  I have never been with anyone but my husband, and he doesn't have symptoms so, ???????

The outbreak was horribly painful.  I can't imagine getting another.  Thankfully, I've never experienced it again.  I did have shingles several times as a child and once as an adult...not sure if that's related.  I've had 3 children vaginally since my first (and only) outbreak.  They were all born without complications from the virus.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:20 AM »
Maybe this is the wrong place to put this, but my children get sores or there face around there mouth. Cold sores or herpes sores, whatever they are.  Anyway,  I read in a book (can't remember what at the moment)  and they have a recipe for a salve using sweet violet leaves and sage leaves with olive oil and bees wax.  I made it and it works really well.  It dried the sores out really fast and they didn't spread.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:57:34 AM by SarahLaRae »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2010, 08:22:51 AM »
I did have shingles several times as a child and once as an adult...not sure if that's related. 

Yes, it is.
 It would help explain how in the world I got mine!  Except the fact that I've never had shingles or any other type of viral infection?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:45 AM »
Can shingles cause genital herpes?  My SIL is now fighting shingles on her face.  She is retarded so I'm concerned if this can be spread via touching other areas of her body.  Do we need to caution her on this?????
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
I did have shingles several times as a child and once as an adult...not sure if that's related. 

Yes, it is.
 It would help explain how in the world I got mine!  Except the fact that I've never had shingles or any other type of viral infection?

Isn't shingles caused by the chicken pox virus? 
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »

Yes, it is.

Isn't shingles caused by the chicken pox virus? 

Yes.  That's why I'm trying to figure this out because if someone were to touch open sores and not wash their hands (like my retarded SIL), could she transfer it to her geni*als?   :P :-X
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »
Thought I'd post this. If it was already posted, just delete this post.
http://www.raysahelian.com/prunellavulgaris.html

Prunella Vulgaris by Ray Sahelian, M.D.

Prunella vulgaris is one of the Chinese herbs used in Asia. Prunella vulgaris L. (Labiatae) is a perennial plant known as 'self-heal' in Western herbal medicine.

Prunella vulgaris composition
Rosmarinic acid and triterpenoid are some of the substances found in prunella.

Benefit of Prunella Vulgaris
According to some laboratory studies, prunella has many potential benefits, including anti-microbial, anti-viral, and anti-oxidant properties.  Prunella may have activity against herpes simplex virus which could be of benefit in oral herpes and genital herpes. However, human studies are lacking therefore not much more can be said about the clinical uses of a prunella vulgaris supplement.

Prunella vulgaris Research Update
Immune modulatory effects of Prunella vulgaris L.
Int J Mol Med. 2005 Mar;15(3):491-6.
Prunella vulgaris has a wide array of biological effects exhibiting numerous therapeutic potentials. Its anti-microbial effects including anti-viral and anti-bacterial effects are, presently, receiving increasing attention. While its anti-viral effects are attributed mainly to the inhibition of virus replication, the biological mechanisms of its anti-bacterial effects or actions remain unknown. In view of the fact that polysaccharides isolated from medicinal herbs often function as biological response modifier of body immunity, we hypothesized that the anti-microbial effect of polysaccharides isolated from Prunella vulgaris is probably also mediated via immune modulation. We have isolated four polysaccharides containing fractions from Prunella vulgaris, one of the fractions, PV2, could markedly stimulate the production of superoxide and nitrite representing nitric oxide from murine macrophage RAW264.7 and brain macrophage BV2 cells. The amount of nitrite and superoxide produced after PV2 stimulation was as high as that seen in stimulation using bacterial endotoxin lipopolysaccharide (LPS), and this stimulatory response is dose-dependent. In addition to monocyte/macrophage, PV2 also stimulated the proliferation of splenocytes. In this study, we have shown that the polysaccharides isolated from Prunella vulgaris have marked immune stimulatory effects, which may bring about the anti-microbial effects of Prunella vulgaris.

A polysaccharide fraction from medicinal herb Prunella vulgaris downregulates the expression of herpes simplex virus antigen in Vero cells.
J Ethnopharmacol. 2004 Jul;93(1):63-8.
Herpes simplex viruses are pathogenic. With the emergence of drug-resistant strains of Herpes simplex virus, new antiviral agents, especially those with different modes of action, are urgently needed. Prunella vulgaris L. (Labiatae), a perennial plant commonly found in China and Europe, has long been used as a folk medicine to cure ailments. In this study, a polysaccharide fraction was prepared from Prunella vulgaris, and its effects on the expressions of Herpes simplex virus-1 and Herpes simplex virus-2 antigens in their host Vero cells were investigated with flow cytometry. The Herpes simplex virus antigen increased time-dependently in the infected cells, and Prunella vulgaris reduced its expression. The effective concentrations of Prunella vulgaris with 50% reductions of the Herpes simplex virus-1 and Herpes simplex virus-2 antigens were 20.6 and 20.1 microg/ml, respectively. The novelty of Prunella vulgaris is that it also reduces the antigen expression of acyclovir-resistant strain of Herpes simplex virus-1. After incubations with 25-100 microg/ml of Prunella vulgaris the Herpes simplex virus antigen-positive cells were reduced by 24.8-92.6%, respectively, showing that this polysaccharide fraction has a different mode of anti-Herpes simplex virus action from acyclovir. Results from this study show that Prunella vulgaris is effective against both the Herpes simplex virus-1 and Herpes simplex virus-2 infections, and flow cytometry offers a quantitative and highly reproducible anti-Herpes simplex virus drug-susceptibility assay.

Phenolics-rich extracts from Silybum marianum and Prunella vulgaris reduce a high-sucrose diet induced oxidative stress in hereditary hypertriglyceridemic rats.
Pharmacol Res. 2004 Aug;50(2):123-30.
The study tested the effects of phenolics-rich extracts from the plants Silybum marianum (silymarin) and Prunella vulgaris on blood and liver antioxidant status and lipoprotein metabolism. These results indicate that silymarin and Prunella vulgaris improve antioxidant status in blood and liver and positively affect plasma lipoprotein profile in an experimental model of dietary induced hypertriglyceridemia.

Biological activities of Prunella vulgaris extract.
Phytother Res. 2003 Nov;17(9):1082-7.
The organic fraction (OF; 25.7% w/w of rosmarinic acid) of Prunella vulgaris (total extract) was found to exhibit the following: scavenging activity on diphenylpicrylhydrazyl radical (DPPH), inhibition of in vitro human LDL Cu(II)-mediated oxidation, protection of rat mitochondria and rat hepatocytes exposed to either tert-butyl hydroperoxide, or to Cu(II) and Fe(III) ions. OF also showed a potential to inhibit rat erythrocyte haemolysis and it reduced the production of LTB(4) in bovine PMNL generated by the 5-lipoxygenase pathway. Other observations included antiproliferative effects against HaCaT cells and mouse epidermal fibroblasts and a moderate OF antimicrobial activity on gram-positive bacteria. Rosmarinic, caffeic and 3-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)lactic acids exhibited less potent activity than the plant extract in all bioassays. The antioxidative, antimicrobial, together with antiviral effects offer good prospects for the medicinal applications of Prunella vulgaris.

Identification of inhibitors of the HIV-1 gp41 six-helix bundle formation from extracts of Chinese medicinal herbs Prunella vulgaris and Rhizoma cibotte.
Life Sci. 2002 Aug 30;71(15):1779-91.
An increasing portion of patients with HIV infection and/or AIDS cannot use currently FDA-approved anti-HIV drugs, including the reverse transcriptase and protease inhibitors, due to the adverse effects and the emergence of drug resistance. Thus, it is essential to develop new anti-HIV agents with a target different from the HIV reverse transcriptase and protease. Using a conformation-specific monoclonal antibody NC-1, we previously established a high throughput screening assay for identification of small molecular organic compounds that disrupt the HIV-1 gp41 six-helix bundle formation, a critical step of membrane fusion between the HIV and the target cell. In the present study, we used this assay to screen for inhibitors of the gp41 six-helix bundle formation from aqueous extracts of nine Chinese medicinal herbs with antiviral activity. We found that the extracts of two herbs, Prunella vulgaris and Rhizoma cibotte, showed potent inhibitory activity. The inhibitory activity of these two herb extracts significantly decreased after they were passed through polyamide resin mini-columns, which are able to bind polyphenols including tannin, an HIV-1 inhibitor with multiple mechanisms of action. The bound polyphenols were eluted from the polyamide columns and also showed potent inhibitory activity on the gp41 six-helix bundle formation. Tannin purchased from different commercial sources inhibited the gp41 six-helix bundle formation in a manner similar to the polyphenols isolated from the herb extracts. These results suggest that tannin may be one of major inhibitors of the HIV-1 gp41 six-helix bundle formation in the herb extracts and that tannin may inhibit HIV-1 entry by disrupting the gp41 six-helix bundle formation.

Inhibition of immediate-type allergic reactions by Prunella vulgaris in a murine model.
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2001 Aug;23(3):423-35.
We studied the effect of aqueous extract of Prunella vulgaris (Labiatae) on immediate-type allergic reactions. Prunella vulgaris (0.005 to 1 g/kg) dose-dependently inhibited systemic anaphylactic shock induced by compound 48/ 80 in rats. When Prunella vulgaris was given as pretreatment, at concentrations ranging from 0.005 to 1 g/kg, the serum histamine levels induced by compound 48/ 80 were reduced in a dose-dependent manner. Prunella vulgaris (0.001 to 1 g/kg) inhibited the passive cutaneous anaphylaxis activated by anti-dinitrophenyl (DNP) IgE antibody dose dependently. Prunella vulgaris also inhibited the histamine release induced by compound 48/80 or anti-DNP IgE from the rat peritoneal mast cells (RPMC). The level of cyclic AMP in RPMC, when Prunella vulgaris was added, significantly increased, compared with that of normal control. Moreover, Prunella vulgaris (0.01 and 0.1 mg/ml) had a significant inhibitory effect on anti-DNP IgE-mediated tumor necrosis factor-alpha production from RPMC. These results indicate that Prunella vulgaris inhibits immediate-type allergic reactions in rats.

Anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory triterpenes from the herb of Prunella vulgaris.
Planta Med. 2000 May;66(4):358-60.
The activity-guided fractionation of the extract of the herb of Prunella vulgaris (Labiatae) led to the isolation of four triterpenes, i.e., betulinic acid, ursolic acid, 2 alpha,3 alpha-dihydroxyurs-12-en-28-oic acid, and 2 alpha-hydroxyursolic acid. One of these compounds, 2 alpha,3 alpha-dihydroxyursolic acid, demonstrated significant inhibition on the release of beta-hexosaminidase from the cultured RBL-2H3 cells in a dose-dependent manner; the IC50 value was calculated to be 57 microM. When the isolated compounds were tested for their effects on the production of nitric oxide from cultured murine macrophages, RAW 264.7 cells, ursolic acid and 2 alpha-hydroxyursolic acid exhibited strong inhibitory activities (IC50 values, 17 and 27 microM, respectively).

Prunella vulgaris Questions
Q. Can prunella vulgaris herb be used the same day as dhea hormone?
   A. Probably, but caution is advised with the use of dhea hormone.

Q. I understand that prunella vulgaris herb is readily available for purchase. What would be a suggestion way for  application?
   A. We don't have much clinical experience using prunella vulgaris so we don't know the ideal dosage, form of ingestion or extract potency to use.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:50 AM »
Can shingles cause genital herpes?  My SIL is now fighting shingles on her face.  She is retarded so I'm concerned if this can be spread via touching other areas of her body.  Do we need to caution her on this?????

I wouldn't think so.

http://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/virol/herpes.htm
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
So...I had another blood test last month and everything came back negative!  ???
Still don't understand what is going on. All the symptoms and pics match, but it is showing I don't have it.
I've recently tried spraying the area with a colloidal silver spray and it takes away the pain for a short amount of time.
They are still healing within 24-36 hours, naturally. That's still quicker than using lidocaine or other prescription drugs that were offered to me.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
HIO, I believe a blood test is for detecting antibodies.  A scrape and culture of cells from a lesion would be another way to find out what the infection is from.  (ouch)

Burt's Bees Diaper Ointment is great for pain relief for any scrape, wound, sore, or other owie.  Apply thickly and cover with a little piece of tissue or band-aid, depending on location.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:55:18 AM by DHW »

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2010, 02:11:26 PM »
This has been very interesting reading! I learn so much on here.

Just wanted to throw in: I had my first cold sore at 41 and was struck at how similar it was to impetigo I had had as a child (I remember it vividly: honey crusted, long lasting, etc) but doc said cold sore. When you read about the two they sound very similar although impetigo generally does not recurr like cold sores.

I started to get what I thought was going to be another cold sore shortly after the first one but I managed to get rid of it in 24 hours. So not sure what it was.

In my reading I was surprised to find a lot of conditions as being herpes virus "related".

Also, if you have contact dermatitis (a form of eczema from being allergic to something) you should not get near a cold sore or the shedding skin from an active cold sore. It can lead to a skin condition, that can be fatal.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2010, 06:42:55 AM »
Some treatments from Robert J. Rowen (Second Opinion Newsletter):

* Lysine (1,000 mg, three times a day)
* Ozone and/or UV blood treatments can speed healing, not a permanent cure
* 3% peroxide then DMSO applied topically to the back/neck/spinal area where the virus hides and remains dormant in the nerves
* Topical Sovereign Silver might also speed recovery
* Cold Sore Inhibitor (www.coldsore-inhibitor.com). It costs about $130
* Cold laser - LazrPulsR Systems 888-696-6532 for more information
* Carnivora brand of Venus flytrap

From Jonathan V. Wright:
* Allergy-free diet - very important to be tested for food allergies
* No peanuts and no nuts - high in L-arginine which promotes the growth of herpes viruse
* Lysine: 2 grams, twice a day, between meals (or at least not with any protein, to ensure optimum absorption).

* Vitamin C: 2 grams, four times a day. Vitamin C helps fight off infections of all types.

* Selenium: Selenium inhibits the ability of all “herpes-family” viruses to reproduce. Sodium selenite, 250 micrograms twice daily is the most economical. Selenomethionine may be better absorbed, though. Look for the 200 microgram size, and use one, three times daily. (Be careful not to go beyond the recommended dosages, as selenium can be toxic at levels of 1,800-2,000 micrograms or more daily.)

* Lithium: Decades ago, a few people overdosed on lithium, so potentially toxic quantities are available only by presciption. However, low quantities available over-the-counter are helpful, since lithium slows down the formation of the viral capsid (the “envelope” containing the viral nuclear material).   Take one 5-milligram tablet three times daily. (Note: If high-dose toxicity ever occurs, it is reversable with essential fatty acids and vitamin E. As a precaution, take one tablespoonful of flaxseed oil and 400 units of vitamin E.)

* Zinc: If deficient,  supplement with 30 milligrams of zinc picolinate twice daily. Zinc boosts the infection-fighting capability of the immune system.

* Vitamin A: 50,000 units. Vitamin A is very important in fighting viral infections.

*  multiple vitamin and mineral

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:15:28 AM by DHW »

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »
Kerry Bone, herbalist, recommends echinacea and St. John's Wort to treat herpes.  Use a liquid preparation containing both herbs to apply to active lesions, and also take the herbs orally in capsules or tinctures.

He also recommends Earl Grey tea, steeped and cooled to apply as a compress.  Do not reuse the compress.  The compress may be the tea bag or the usual compress items: folded paper towel, large cotton ball, a folded cloth , etc.  Disposable is probably best.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:35:42 PM by DHW »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:40 AM »
Kerry Bone, herbalist, recommends echinacea and St. John's Wort to treat herpes. 

That makes sense why my salve works so well. It contains echinacea and St. John's wort!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2011, 05:52:23 AM »
Although herbal treatments were taking away the herpes breakouts quicker than any other medicine out there, it didn't keep it from returning. Blisters were lasting a few days, which medically is extremely short, but still painful for those couple days.
mykidsmom shared some homeopathic tablets with me about oh....six months ago, and I haven't had a breakout since!!!
http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=S93S3
No matter what the directions say, just take four small tablets and place under the tongue. I did this months ago and haven't had a break out since, as I had been suffering with them just about every menstrual cycle.
It doesn't seem to be working as quickly with my husband's cold sore breakouts, as it is for genital herpes. So, keep that in mind.