Yes
6 (26.1%)
No
15 (65.2%)
I don't know
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: February 06, 2007, 06:32:46 PM

Author Topic: Herpes  (Read 18759 times)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Re: Herpes
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2007, 10:15:46 AM »
Some sexually transmitted HPVs, such as types 6 and 11, can cause genital warts. However, most HPV types that infect the genitals tend not to cause noticeable symptoms. Persistent infection with a subset of about a dozen so-called "high-risk" sexually transmitted HPVs, including types 16 and 18, can lead to the development of cancer of the cervix. HPV infection is a necessary factor in the development of nearly all cases of cervical cancer

Yeah, I think this is only talking about HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) NOT Herpes (herpes simplex virus- HSV).
I have read advertisments for the HPV vaccine and it mentions different strains of the HPV virus.
For example, only certain strains (i.e. 1, 6, 22, whatever....) of HPV can lead to cancer (according to Merck).

So, from the small amount of I have read, I think that HPV (warts) and HSV (herpes) are different things.

However, the only reading I have done about HPV is in-conjuction to the vaccine issue. And, the only reading I have done about Herpes has to do with Mono and Bells Palsy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:24:05 AM by KristenA »
Check out my Blog and Weekly Podcast at http://www.simplykristen.com

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:07 AM »
You know... I think hormone crazy teenagers (and unmarried folks) should read this thread.
I know many people that think the only bad consequences of sex are AIDS or pregnancy.

Show them that sex (condoms do not protect against the following) can lead to sores, cancer, warts, all kinds of Herpes complications......and that most sexually active people (with mulitple partners) have these things.
The statistics are astounding.

God's plan is always good.

Parents, keep your teens educated and busy with GOOD activities. Or, their brains will wander....and then their bodies might.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:23:20 PM by KristenA »

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 10:50:12 AM »
  I think it is possible to kiss someone with mouth herpes  and not get it. Though I don't recommend it unless the someone is your DH as it was with me. He had cold sores from quite often, and we kiss allot!though I tried to avoid kissing him when he had one and we were married for about 7 yrs before I got it :( 
  Now I don't know if I had it in a dormant stage or not. I doupt it because I got pretty sick the first time I got them in my mouth, on my lips my gums were so sore I could hardly eat :(  This was over a year ago and I only had one once since! so I don't even realize that I have it, but I know I do.
  bY the way since improving his diet and taking supplements he hardly ever gets one anymore :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »
You know... I think hormone crazy teenagers (and unmarried folks) should read this thread.
I know many people that think the only bad consequences of sex are AIDS or pregnancy.

Show them that sex (condoms do not protect against the following) can lead to sores, cancer, warts, all kinds of Herpes complications......and that most sexually active people (with mulitple partners) have these things.
The statistics are astounding.

I agree. They act like Herpes is not really a big deal but they don't tell you everything. How many people know that if a baby contracts genital ( GENITAL TYPE 2 NOT cold sores) Herpes from it's mother it has a 50% chance of dying & of the 50% that survive 50% of them will have brain damage? I had to watch someone go through the heartbreak of her baby dying at 2 weeks old because she had a STD that she never knew she had. Her first outbreak happened WHILE the baby was dying! This was over 20 yrs ago before Herpes started making the news, so maybe the survival rate is better now & maybe they test for it now but you can have it even if you haven't had an outbreak & NO test is 100% reliable. A C-section will protect the baby because the baby contracts Herpes through the birth canal, just like most STD's. She had another baby after this one & originally the Drs. told her that they were going to do vag. exams weekly for the last month to check for outbreak & if she wasn't broke out they would have her deliver vaginally! She has NEVER broken out vaginally, she breaks out on her arm, finger or leg! I want to point out here that although she doesn't break out vaginally what she has isTYPE 2 GENITAL NOT cold sores (type 1).  Her sores have been cultured & PROVEN to be type 2. She was dealing w/military Drs. & frequently w/them you have no recourse but she FOUGHT them over this & told them there was NO WAY she was going to deliver that baby vaginally. In the end, she had to get the 1st babies death cert. & PROVE to them that he had died from Herpes. In that state, at that time, the death certs said that someone died of ______, due to ______, caused by _____ & under "caused by" the death cert. said Herpes so they FINALLY agreed to a C-sec. That baby was born by C-sec & was fine & they may do it differently now but what mother should have to go through all that? My guess is that with everyone trying to be so PC nowadays that if it happened today the death cert would not even say Herpes & then what would she have done? OK, time to get off my soap box. ;) Just my .02 Blessings ~herbalmom,   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 02:59:14 PM by herbalmom »

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
Ok...so you are saying that if you have herpes even if it's not genital you can endanger your baby? That's terrifying. I only had one outbreak, on the upper half of my body 16 years ago. I've had two babies vaginally, and I'm currently pregnant. I'm not really worried, because I feel peace about it but I had never, ever heard of that being a concern...this stuff is really, really complicated!

Also...is it considered a STD if you didn't get it through sexual contact?

Speaking of teaching teens about STDs, we had the most AWESOME Christian lady who would come to our health classes at my public high school. She came armed with a grotesque slide show of STD symptoms and shirts and stickers that said "I'm worth waiting for." She was my HERO.

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
Ok...so you are saying that if you have herpes even if it's not genital you can endanger your baby? That's terrifying. I only had one outbreak, on the upper half of my body 16 years ago. I've had two babies vaginally, and I'm currently pregnant. I'm not really worried, because I feel peace about it but I had never, ever heard of that being a concern...this stuff is really, really complicated!

Genital Herpes-TYPE 2 CAN endanger a baby. TYPE 1 (cold sores) CANNOT.

The person I was talking about has TYPE 2 Herpes. Normally, type 2 breaks out in the genitals, for some reason she breaks out on arm, leg, or finger, usually her leg which is unusual but the sores have been cultured & TYPE 2 - GENITAL is what she has. I'm sorry if I scared you unnecessarily. I will go back & clarify my post. Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »
Speaking of teaching teens about STDs, we had the most AWESOME Christian lady who would come to our health classes at my public high school. She came armed with a grotesque slide show of STD symptoms and shirts and stickers that said "I'm worth waiting for." She was my HERO.

wow! katie that is awesome!!!  rebecca st. james was recently doing the SHE tour and we got a great shirt there that said "waiting for my holy hunk!"  gotta love the revolution that is happening.  we never saw anything like that when i was in high school.  i graduated in 89.  
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 03:02:33 PM »

As far as herpes goes, unless CMV counts, no one in our family has it that we know of?  I think I am just confused from all this information :-\

Great, now I am the "herpes" expert!  ::) :D

From the research that I have done, cytomegalovirus is a strain of the herpes virus.  Your Dad probably contracted it from his mother via the birth canal.  He does still have this virus in him, but it is dormant if he does not show signs.  Not too confusing anymore?!

Thanks, HIO. Is it possible to kiss someone who has herpes without getting it?

Also, don't forget that bell's palsy is also a symptom of herpes. I have a friend who gets that when she gets run down. She can't control the muscles in her face. It goes away after a few weeks.

Are you asking me if it is possible to contract "genital" herpes from kissing, or just the cold sores?  I am not a doctor, but I would say that you will not contract gential herpes from kissing.  You CAN contract herpes 1 from kissing, but you don't necessarily have to.  My hubby was a virgin, didn't even kiss a girl, either.  He had suffered from cold sores and plantar warts ALL the time.  He had such a weakened immune system before I got a hold of him!  :D
But since we have been married, I have never had a cold sore.  I think I may have had ONE in my entire life.  So, it seems as if one person is strong in one strain may be weak in another.  Just me guessing.

So, from the small amount of I have read, I think that HPV (warts) and HSV (herpes) are different things.

Kristen, from the research that you have done are you saying that HPV and Herpes(genital warts) BOTH cause warts, but a different kind?  Because I have read on the net and in my PFNH book that Herpes causes genital warts and HPV causes gential warts.  Do you think they are two different kinds of warts?  This is getting interesting!

MORALE OF THE STORY:  SLEEP WITH YOUR SPOUSE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Protection will NOT protect you!!!  A condom does not cover ALL of a man's genitalia.  HPV can lie on the parts that a condom does not cover.  Do not be fooled!!! 

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Kristen, from the research that you have done are you saying that HPV and Herpes(genital warts) BOTH cause warts, but a different kind?  Because I have read on the net and in my PFNH book that Herpes causes genital warts and HPV causes gential warts.  Do you think they are two different kinds of warts?  This is getting interesting!

I think only HPV causes HPV warts.

I suppose a form of Herpes (there are SO many) could cause warts........ but I believe the vast majority of gential warts are from HPV, NOT a form of Herpes.

All this info comes from general reading I have done about health and from my messed up Sex-Ed classes in public High school.  :P :P
Conclusion: I'm not an expert
Speaking of public HS,  a bio teacher told our class that you could gets Warts in your throat and mouth from certain sexual behavior. THAT lecture my friends has stuck with me all these years.
Another moral: HOME SCHOOL YOUR CHILDREN
LOL

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2007, 04:33:51 PM »
HEALTHYINOHIO--

Thankyou for honestly and openly sharing your story and research. It is very interresting. I always enjoy hearing/reading others life experiences. I have learned from such testimonies many times.

Isn't it nice to have Jesus? Jesus is so great. I always think of the word FREEDOM when I want to describe Jesus.

I used to be a hyper active kid until MONO hit me at age 12. Also puberty hit me at age 12 as well. But I dout puberty makes ppl weak forever.   But I'm sure its the MONO that made me forever weak.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
Does this mean you're going to do a lecture on it at the WTM gathering?   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

PMESguy

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
Does this mean you're going to do a lecture on it at the WTM gathering?   ;D

That and she might be getting some interesting pictures in her PM box soon!!! :D

Thanks again for your time and research on the topic HIO.

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2007, 09:25:01 AM »
Just a couple of thoughts:

Type 1 and 2 are both so prevalent that many doctors do not bother to distinguish between them.  The lesions tend to appear and reappear at the site of the initial exposure.  Type 1 used to almost always appear as a cold sore (oral herpes).  Type 2 used to appear virtually always on genitalia (genital herpes).  However, NOW it is not unusual for Type 1 lesions to appear on genitalia and Type 2 to appear on the lips, nose or face (due to oral s*x, but also to auto-innoculation).

This means you can contract genital herpes from kissing, if your kissing partner has Type 2 lesions on the part you are kissing.  It would look like a cold sore (Type 1) on your mouth, but lab work would identify it as Type 2 (genital herpes).

Auto-innoculation occurs when a person re-infects herself by transferring the virus from an active lesion to another area of her body.  The most susceptible areas are broken skin or mucus membranes, but lesions can occur ANYWHERE.

An unborn baby is at greatest risk when the pregnant mother is experiencing the PRIMARY (first-time) shedding of the virus.  If the lesion is internal she may not realize what is happening.  Furthermore, I have read that the virus can shed without a discernible lesion.  Subsequent lesions and shedding tend to be less, so the risk to the baby is less.  Anti-viral herbs and supplements can go a long way toward protecting mother and baby.  A knowledgeable midwife could recommend several.  An OB/GYN would prescribe Acyclovir.

Remember this is a virus and viruses can remain viable on any surface, wet or dry,  much longer than bacteria can, so good hygiene (not sharing drinking glasses, disinfecting toothbrushes, not touching lesions, handwashing, hot, soapy water, etc.) is essential.  GSE is a powerful disinfectant for treating lesions and general cleaning.

Lysine is a very helpful amino acid for suppressing outbreaks of Type 1 or Type 2 sores, but it is not a cure. 

Dr. Stephanie Cave (an integrative physician in Baton Rouge) said that heavy metals make the body more susceptible to all kinds of nasties: viruses, cancers, yeast.  You won't wipe those out until you get the metals out.  So frequent herpes outbreaks signals 1) a suppressed immune system, 2) stress, and 3) very probably metals contamination.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »

That and she might be getting some interesting pictures in her PM box soon!!! :D

Uh.....no, thanks, everyone!   ;D

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
Of course, this discussion brings up the question: "How do you know who 'has' something?"

There are many, many people who are exposed to different viruses without suffering ill effects. Their immune system defends them from the little invaders. Do we say they haven't contracted the sickness because they never got ill? Do we say that they recovered from the sickness when they aren't even aware that their immune system protected them? Do we define 'having' something as suffering from the ill effects or as having developed the proper antibodies to prevent symptoms or as having never been exposed to the virus?

Sound outlandish? Read about Typhoid Mary here.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »

Whoa.... So, she got all those people sick by transferring bacterium from her feces.... to their food?

Did cooks back then not wash their hands? I guess not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_fever
A person may become an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever, suffering no symptoms, but capable of infecting others. According to the Centers for Disease Control approximately 5% of people who contract typhoid continue to carry the disease after they recover.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007, 03:12:29 AM »

Whoa.... So, she got all those people sick by transferring bacterium from her feces.... to their food?

Did cooks back then not wash their hands? I guess not.

A person may become an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever, suffering no symptoms, but capable of infecting others. According to the Centers for Disease Control approximately 5% of people who contract typhoid continue to carry the disease after they recover.

I don't doubt that she washed her hands. I believe that the virus was transferred from saliva droplets that came from either tasting the food, coughing, sneezing, etc. It wasn't like there was a soap shortage or something, and she was working in places that had indoor plumming, so she had access to running water.  :-\
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2007, 04:46:14 AM »
I don't doubt that she washed her hands. I believe that the virus was transferred from saliva droplets that came from either tasting the food, coughing, sneezing, etc. It wasn't like there was a soap shortage or something, and she was working in places that had indoor plumming, so she had access to running water.  :-\

I just got the feces info from here:

Flying insects feeding on feces may occasionally transfer the bacteria through poor hygiene habits and public sanitation conditions. Public education campaigns encouraging people to wash their hands after toileting and before handling food are an important component in controlling spread of the disease. According to statistics from the United States Center for Disease Control, the chlorination of drinking water has led to dramatic decreases in the transmission of typhoid fever in the U.S..

I actually had never heard of Typhoid Mary.
Thanks for telling us about her SC!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2007, 07:47:45 AM »
More Herpes stuff:

Roseola too! Wow
Introduction
Roseola is a generally mild infection that usually affects children between 6 months and 3 years of age, though it occasionally affects adults. It's extremely common so common, in fact, that most children have been infected by roseola by the time they enter kindergarten.

Two common strains of the herpes virus cause roseola. The condition typically causes several days of fever, followed by a rash.

Some children develop only a very mild case of roseola and never show any clear indication of illness, while others experience the full range of signs and symptoms. The infection can occur at any time of the year.

Roseola typically isn't serious. Rarely, complications from a very high fever can result. Treatment of roseola includes bed rest, fluids and medications to reduce fever.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452

This is funny b/c I got a extremely mild sore on my tongue...noticeable for about 1/2 a day when my daughter symptoms of a possible Roseola virus started.
Chicken or the egg? LOL

PMESguy

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 05:59:41 AM »
600+ views and only 13 votes???  :(

If you have something to discuss on the topic of Herpes, please fell free to add. Otherwise, let's try to keep this on topic. Thanks!  8)

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 07:55:18 AM »
Okay, I am ready to share all for the benefits of someone who may read this later.  I was very sexually promiscuos as an unsaved teenager.  I contracted HPV(which is the virus that causes genital warts-herpes).  When I found out that I had it I was saved for one week and pregnant.  I felt that God would and had healed me for it remained dormant for 10-12 years.  But only recently did I have an outbreak.  ...

As far as HPV(or genital herpes), you can contract it and never show signs or symptoms. One out of five people(over the age of 12) have this.  I don't believe that you can contract this by any other way but sexually, or by birth, if your mother had it.  Unmanaged HPV can lead to cervical cancer, as most of us have already researched under the HPV thread, but it doesn't mean that a woman with herpes will get cervical cancer.  But if you are diagnosed with cervical cancer, then you definately had the herpes virus.  ... 

Whew!!  I think that just about covered it for awhile!  ::)
HIO,
Thank you for your post.  This is great information for many women. 

I hope I am not overstepping any bounds here, but would you want to elaborate on your "outbreak" symptoms and what you have been doing or will do to help get it under control.  It would be of great help to many.  If you would want to PM me some info that would be great or if you would rather me ask questions in PM let me know.  And of course, if you would rather me to just "buzz off" just let me know that.  Thanks.

I didn't know how to move this quote over to the HPV thread, so if you know how and want to I will look there also. 

And I am also wondering about not getting a clear picture if HPV is actually Herpes or not.  I was told by my doctor that it is not.  And I have found the same conclusions in other research I have done.

Thanks,           Missi 

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 08:43:40 AM »
ok, so could someone clarify?  IS herpes the same as HPV (genital warts) or not????
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

kaira

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »
Hello All,
This is the first time I actually had a chance to open this thread... I marked yes on the poll because 1. I had mono and my first cold sore about a month before I was engaged.  I was horribly sick and that awful coldsore was just... awful.  It left a scar on my lip that I notice (probably no on else does).  I have since only had on e or two other cold sores on my lip - in the same place.  When I was a kid my dad used to get cold sores.  He traveled all the time, lots of stress and fatigue.  I just remember he wouldn't kiss me because he was afraid I would get it.  I am cetain my husband doesn't have it so kissing him should not have been the culprit - but we were sure doing alot of kissing back then.  I can be thankful that I never contracted anything in my "pre-saved" days as I certainly didn't live as I should.  This is an interesting topic. 

JoyInHim

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2007, 10:14:14 AM »
Thanks for the testimony....good advice!

PMESguy

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2007, 02:12:29 PM »

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
ok, so could someone clarify?  IS herpes the same as HPV (genital warts) or not????

Not according to everything I've read.

HPV is Human Papilloma Virus
HSV = Herpes Simplex Virus

There are a lot of viruses in the Herpes family (i.e. Chicken Pox, Mono, Roseola, HSV type 1, HSV type 2, Shingles, etc).
However I do not believe science has claimed that HPV is part of the herpes family.

Asthedeer1

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
Here are some products to help relieve or get rid of herpes all together.  I have not tried the products but plan to in the future. http://www.universalsupplements.com/index2.asp  I have had herpes simplex 1 since I was about 10, I got it from giving my sister a kiss while she had a cold sore on her mouth, (I did'nt know anything I was 10).  I now break out 2-3 times a year and it is very embaressing.  I am sure my husband and children all carry it, they have not had a break out yet but many people carry it and don't know it.  You can also give your spouse herpes type 2 if you carry type 1, if you want to know more about that pm me. 

Rebecca :)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »
You can also give your spouse herpes type 2 if you carry type 1, if you want to know more about that pm me. 

From what I've heard, this can happen if you have a coldsore and, umm, it somehow   ;) comes into contact with the your spouses genitalia. But I wondered if that was true because the way I heard about it was something like... "Hey, it happened to my collage roommate's sister's best friend's brother." LOL.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline LKS

• Master
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:11 AM »
[date=1169773353]
[quote
Speaking of public HS,  a bio teacher told our class that you could gets Warts in your throat and mouth from certain sexual behavior. THAT lecture my friends has stuck with me all these years.
Another moral: HOME SCHOOL YOUR CHILDREN
LOL
[/quote]

ROTFL  ;D ;D ;D ;D  No make that crying! Good moral Kristen!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2007, 08:45:11 AM »
You can also give your spouse herpes type 2 if you carry type 1, if you want to know more about that pm me. 

From what I've heard, this can happen if you have a coldsore and, umm, it somehow   ;) comes into contact with the your spouses genitalia. But I wondered if that was true because the way I heard about it was something like... "Hey, it happened to my collage roommate's sister's best friend's brother." LOL.

WR

This is a quote from What Your Mothe Never Told You About S-E-X by Hilda Hutcherson, M.D.
BTW, I DO NOT recommend the book. I may actually throw it out this week.

Anways, here's the quote:
Herpes is a common sexually transmitted infection caused by the herpes virus (HSV). One in five Americans adults have been infected with genital herpes. Two type of herpes virus can cause infection of your genitals: herpes virus type 1 and herpes virus type 2. Herpes type 1 most commonly infects your mouth but can be transmitted to your genitals through oral sex. You can also infect your own genitals by touching them after touching a fresh cold sore on your lip. Herpes type 2 more commonly affect the genitals, bt it can also be transmitted to your mouth during oral sex. Genital infections with herpes type 1 tend to be milder and don't recur as often as infections with type 2.

SO, type 1 and type 2 are not specific to areas. They are a different virus. Type 1 can infect your genitals (though it is milder apparently) and type 2 can infect your mouth. Though, that is not the "natural" discourse of the virus.

This is good for MARRIED couples to know... especially those who have a healthy sex life.  ;D
In other words: be careful when you have a cold sore in your mouth.  :P

But, this thread IS kind of graphic for unmarried folks. Maybe we should put a warning on this since this forum is also used by the kiddies.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:49:43 AM by KristenA »