Author Topic: How do I "puff" grain?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
How do I "puff" grain?
« on: January 14, 2007, 06:47:29 PM »
I am a fan of puffed wheat, puffed kamut, and puffed rice... or Kashi 7 whole grains puffed cold cereal and I'm wondering how to make it myself.  If I bake my grain in the oven then it roasts, like granola, but under what conditions does it puff?  Is it like popcorn?  Could I put some in my Whirley-pop?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: How do I "puff" grain?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:27:30 PM »
I am a fan of puffed wheat, puffed kamut, and puffed rice... or Kashi 7 whole grains puffed cold cereal and I'm wondering how to make it myself.  If I bake my grain in the oven then it roasts, like granola, but under what conditions does it puff?  Is it like popcorn?  Could I put some in my Whirley-pop?  Sorry if this is a dumb question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffed_grain
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
Re: How do I "puff" grain?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:25:32 PM »
I don't think it's a dumb question. The people on WTM make everything else so why not puffed grains? We used to use puffed grain cereals a lot & I used to wish I could make it myself. Later I got to looking at the price/nutrition ratio of cold cereals in general & puffed cereals in particular & they just don't seem to be worth the price so we rarely buy them anymore. DH does keep cereal at work to eat while he's there. I had heard somewhere that rats fed puffed grains die but I don't know if it's true.

Amaranth can be popped like popcorn & used as a cereal so maybe that would be an option. If your popcorn popper doesn't have little openings that the amaranth can blow into (voice of experience ::)) then you should be able to use it to pop amaranth, otherwise you can pop it on top of the stove. If you like popped amaranth it should save you some $ over the puffed cereals & the nutrition will be better. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom