Author Topic: Essential Oils in a nebulizer?  (Read 15796 times)

freshisbest

Essential Oils in a nebulizer?
« on: January 11, 2007, 12:52:02 PM »
I had a nebulizer in the cabinet, never used, and yesterday pulled it out and used it on the coughing 4 yr old. Wow! Only about a teaspoon or so of water and used it about 5 minutes (she couldn't stand the mask) but it seemed to really make a difference. I read a thread about inhaling eucalyptus and did someone mention tea tree oil ? I know you can't ingest them, but could you use a drop ( mixed in water?) in the nebulizer?

Offline Randi

• Wide Eyed
Re: Essential Oils in a nebulizer?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 01:07:07 PM »
I don't know if you could use it in the nebulizer...but I have a 7 year old with occassional asthma symptoms ( as an allergic reaction).  I have Boiled water in a teapot...then poured it into a bowl with drops of tea tree oil and he "breathes in" the steam...sometimes with a towel over his head and sometimes just sitting next to it...i have a tendency to "over do" the oil and it can be too strong to be too close to it then...this seems to help
Randi-mother of 3 boys

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 10:08:39 AM »
Does anyone know about putting collodial silver in a nebulizer? my friend has one and my kids have a bad cough and she said i can bring them over to do it and it will help them. she does it on her kids for colds and asthma.

i am not exactly sure what the negative is on nebulizing since i guess i don't really know how it works.

anyways any ideas?

freshisbest

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 05:52:41 AM »
I DID try tea tree oil in the nebulizer. Turned to cement and it burned the sinuses...so I'd nix that one.

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 07:04:20 AM »
I have successfully used eucalyptus oil in a nebulizer for my children.  I just add a drop or two to the water and have them breathe in.  Works wonders!
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
What can I put in my breathing machine/nebulizer for my kids congestion? Would I mix it with saline or water?

Offline StephTallent

• Adept
    • Beeyoutiful
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 05:43:46 AM »
If you are talking about a traditional medical nebulizer like they use with asthmatics in hospitals with the plastic cups and parts please do NOT use Eucalyptus oil with it.  It will break down the plastic even when diluted.

The best nebulizer for essential oils we have found is not the medical ones but the metal figure 8 nebulizers that are made so that only metal and glass touch the essential oils.  Plastics are just too vulnerable to too many different kinds of oils IMHO to risk using a plastic nebulizer.  There is also one available on the market that is basically a cool mist humidifier created to be used with essential oils.  They use ceramic bowl with an extremely fast moving metal piece (impervious to the essential oils) instead of plastic parts as well.
Do not become so focused on where you are, and the destination you forget from whence you came. Concentrate not on what is to be attained so that you forget to extend encouragement, love and help to those behind.

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
I had a nebulizer in the cabinet, never used, and yesterday pulled it out and used it on the coughing 4 yr old. Wow! Only about a teaspoon or so of water and used it about 5 minutes (she couldn't stand the mask) but it seemed to really make a difference. I read a thread about inhaling eucalyptus and did someone mention tea tree oil ? I know you can't ingest them, but could you use a drop ( mixed in water?) in the nebulizer?

you only used water in it and it helped?  I have sick, coughing kids and I might try this since I have water and a nebulizer.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
I was told by a pediatrician not to use water, but plain saline is fine.  (The kind for sinuses like Little Noses brand; not the kind for contacts.)  I do this often, and I also frequently add 1-3 drops Eucalyptus oil to the saline.  Everyone I know who has tried it has had success.    ~L

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »
So, does anyone use euc. oil in their breathing machine? I have a breathing machine that we use for albuterol/pulmicort but I would love to use euc. oil etc. before resorting to the medicine. Someone mentioned that EO's would harm the machine. Has anyone experienced this?

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »
So, does anyone use euc. oil in their breathing machine? I have a breathing machine that we use for albuterol/pulmicort but I would love to use euc. oil etc. before resorting to the medicine. Someone mentioned that EO's would harm the machine. Has anyone experienced this?
I tried Euc. Oil in our nebulizer a few months ago.  I think the treatment helped my little guy, but when I was cleaning up afterward, I did notice that the plastic medicine cup portion of the nebulizer seemed that the plastic had been changed/eaten away at.
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
Where can I buy a nebulizer made for essential oils (not plastic)??

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:09 AM »
When the plastic was eaten away, did you use the oil straight?  I always mix a few drops into an ounce or so of saline and after dozens of treatments I have never experience that problem.  ~L

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
Thanks, I have little noses and nebulizer.  I'll try it on a kid or two.  I wish I had the eucalyptus oil.  I'd try it because the little plastic cup in mine is disposable (and I have extras).  Replacement ones are not expensive or hard to get. 

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:43:25 PM »
When the plastic was eaten away, did you use the oil straight?  I always mix a few drops into an ounce or so of saline and after dozens of treatments I have never experience that problem.  ~L

I tried it mixed with water and it still ate away at the plastic cup part(after just one try) . I was desperate and had extras so I tried it -- I won't again thopugh :o