Author Topic: Fenugreek Pros & Cons  (Read 13400 times)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
Fenugreek Pros & Cons
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:27:06 AM »
Okay, I am nursing my 9 month old and taking 2 @ 610 mg capsules of fenugreek every day to help me keep up my milk supply.  I've read the cons of fenugreek (causing miscarriage, estrogen dominance) and the pros (regulating metabolism, glucose levels, increased lactation benefits) and I'm wondering if the pros outweigh the cons.

I know this is probably a personal thing.  But we are using neem for contraception (my cycle has not returned) and even though we are not trying to get pregnant, I really don't want to cause bleeding which leads to miscarriage.  However, even though I drink lots of water the fenugreek really helps me with maintaining my milk supply.  I know that a lot of research I've done on the web also says that because fenugreek mimics hormones, there is an issue with estrogen dominance so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks!
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

YoopreMama

Re: Fenugreek Pros & Cons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 07:26:50 AM »
I'm looking forward to hearing more about fenugreek.  I found some in my herb collection and wonder why I have it.   ???  Maybe it was nursing related, too.

Thanks for starting the topic!   ;)

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:35:23 AM »
Fenugreek has been until recently a miracle herb for me.

When I was nursing my last baby I took it to help increase the milk supply. It did not work for me in that area. But later on I found out one can take extra amounts of it and it is soposed to help increase the milk.

It does not help my sugar levels  either:(

But for a while it did greatly lower my cholesterol alot and put it back into normal range. Infact my doc was so suprised that they put fenugreek into their data base to be studied .

I just found out 2 weeks ago it no longer helps my cholesterol stay normal. Its not working for me anymore in any aear that I know of. But when it did work it worked great for the cholesterol.

I did not know it worked like a hormone and  acted like estrogen dominance. Thats interresting. When I had a uterus I never noticed fenugreek causing any bleeding troubles. I already had issues in that area years before I ever knew about fenugreek.  Its weird how differant everyones body is. What helps one seems to not help another.

Ill be interrested in reading other peoples responses to this post since I have taken fenugreek for a long time.
 Thanks for making this thread  :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »
My Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs didn't address the hormone question, and my Reader's Digest Home Handbook of Herbs had this to say:

Its seed contains not only mucilage but also diosgenin, which is important in the synthesis of oral contraceptives and sex hormone treatments. Its leaves contain coumarin (blood pressure medication?), which gives them a sweet hay scent when dried.  Archaeological evidence suggests that the Egyptians valued fenugreek for eating, healing, and embalming.  The Greeks & Romans, too enjoyed the seed as food & medicine. 

Our mystery herb of the week!  I bet we'll find out more here soon... ;)

In fact, I'll modify this now:

http://www.vitaminstuff.com/herbs-fenugreek.html:

Indian Ayurvedic and traditional Chinese medicine recommend fenugreek to treat arthritis and bronchitis, induce labor, improve digestion, and maintain a healthy metabolism. Fenugreek also has a long history of use for treatment of reproductive disorders in women.

Recent studies have shown that fenugreek helps lower blood glucose levels, and may be an effective treatment for both type 1 and 2 diabetes.

Fenugreek seeds contain diosgenin, a phytoestrogen compound that seems to mimic the effects of the hormone estrogen. Fenugreek has been used for many years as a form of natural hormone replacement therapy for menopausal women. The diosgenin in fenugreek is thought to help increase libido lessening the effects of hot flashes and hormone-induced mood fluctuations; however, fenugreek is also traditionally used to promote weight gain and stimulate breast growth. In fact, fenugreek is often used as an active ingredient in natural breast enlargement supplements, and fenugreek sprouts are said to be particularly effective for breast enlargement.

Today many herbalists recommend fenugreek to help promote the healing of wounds, rashes, and boils. Recent studies have shown fenugreek to be an anti-inflammatory, which supports its traditional use as a treatment for sore throat, arthritis, and wound healing. Commission E, a group that evaluates the safety and efficacy of herbs for the German government, approves fenugreek for treatment of inflammation, loss of appetite, and gastritis. Fenugreek seeds contain a lot of mucilage, which helps sooth gastrointestinal inflammation by coating the lining of the stomach and intestine.

and from http://www.airgreen.co.jp/fenugreek/index_e.html:

Traditionally, fenugreek has been used in folk medicine for tonic, nutrition, appetizer, and antifebrile. Especially in India and the Near and Middle East, they have the custom that women in the lactation period eat fenugreek because fenugreek is thought to increase their milk. Recently, in Europe and America, many women eat them as health food to enlarge their breasts. Because it is said that steroid saponin contained in fenugreek testa is a precursor of female hormone and it is turned into female hormone in the body that enlarges breast and increases milk.

It has been confirmed by animal experiments and clinical tests on humans that ingesting the food compounded fenugreek gum powder certainly lowers the level of sugar in the blood for the past few years. Moreover, it has been proved that fenugreek seeds lowers the level of cholesterol and fat in the blood and restrains biosynthesis of cholesterol in the liver.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 10:58:17 AM by YooperMama »

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 11:18:36 AM »
Yep, those were the first 2 sites I went to, as well.  More to come from me...

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »
From Purdue University Horticulture Dept:

Diosgenin, a steroid sapogenin found in fenugreek but currently isolated from Dioscorea species, is the starting compound for over 60% of the total steroid production by the pharmaceutical industry.

The maple aroma and flavor of fenugreek has led to its use in many baked goods, chutneys, confections, and imitation maple syrup. For culinary purposes, seeds are ground and used in curries. Young seedlings and other portions of fresh plant material are eaten as vegetables. The plant is quite nutritious, being high in proteins, ascorbic acid, niacin, and potassium. Fenugreek is also used as a livestock feed.

As a medicinal plant, fenugreek has traditionally been considered a carminative, demulcent, expectorant, laxative, and stomachic. The plant has also been employed against bronchitis, fevers, sore throats, wounds swollen glands, skin irritations, diabetes, ulcers, and in the treatment of cancer (14.1-17). Fenugreek has been used to promote lactation and as an aphrodisiac. Fenugreek seeds have been used as an oral insulin substitute, and seed extracts have been reported to lower blood glucose levels in laboratory animals.

Here is some good info:

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/8513/31402/347265.html?d=dmtContent

So having read all that is said about how it is used for steroids and how it mimics estrogen, and having read about estrogen dominance from this site, it is of concern that I am taking 1220 mg a day... or maybe I'd have to take some great amount like 4000 mg a day to have unwanted side affects. 

However, I took accutane for acne for 6 weeks in 1997 and since then I have had elevated triglyceride levels.  And I did test positive for gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy, which makes me more likely to develop type 2 diabetes later in life (if this test was accurate; I have reason to believe it was a falsely high). 

Of course I currently have no problems, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so does anyone know of any long term problems associated with taking fenugreek regularly?  So far, I have only found information on the benefits.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 12:13:01 PM by ShabbyChic »

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:10:11 PM »
Well, if anyone's overdosed on Fenugreek, it's been me :D :D :D But~ I'm still around and healthy so I guess there's no harm to it. The only side effect I've had is gagging once in awhile on the tea :P

I've done some research on it and understand people do take it long term with no effects at all. I've been taking it almost two months now and I'm feeling pretty good ;D
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »
Okay I just got some fenugreek seeds from Bulk Herb Store and I need to grind them, put them in the capsules, and then what?  How many and how much do I take a day?  It doesn't sound like you can OD on this, but how much is too much?

Offline hjm

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »
I used fenugreek to increase milk supply.  It helped for a few months.  I ground my seeds in a small coffee grinder and then put them in "00" capsules.  I started out by taking 1 capsule every meal.  I increased when my milk supply slowed.  I did not seem to have estrogen dominance problems.  Aside from smelling like maple all the time I didn't notice any side affects.
hjm

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:57 AM »
Okay.  Thanks.  I'll do that.

Offline Wife, Mom, Teacher

• Learning
    • Wife, Mom, Teacher
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 09:00:43 AM »
Howdy!  I have been taking encourage on and off (more on than off) while nursing my last 2 or 3 kids (that would be since 2001).  I have noticed no bad side effects. 
One thing that I'm wondering, though....what can you take to DRY UP milk supply?  It isn't that I have such an overabundance, but when I have weened a child, my meager supply doesn't seem to want to go away!  ??? I had it linger almost a year at one point (then got pregnant again).  I am nursing my last baby now and planning on weening in April.  I'm sure the same thing will happen again.  Any ideas?  I've heard of taking lots of sage, but last time I drank sage tea a bit and it didn't seem to help.

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »
Here is what I've found:I was drinking a lot of MmT when my ds was born  and pumping like crazy, but my supply would not increase, what did work was straight up fenugreek in capsule form from the Health Food store at least 500 Mg Taken like this:
1  three times a day for 2 days
2  three times a day for 2 days
3 three times a day for 2 days
continue up to 5 three times a day for 2 days.  When you decide to not be on it anymore, you can't just quit taking it.  you have to go back...if you are up to 5 three times a day, then you have to go down to:
4 three times a day for 2 days
3 three times a day for 2 days...etc

I don't know what I would have done if I didn't know about fenugreek.  It is a main ingredient in Mother's milk tea as ya'll prob know.  You prob already know this info too, but I can't say enough about it.  Also my midwife and also a lactation consultant told me that you see the results of nursing in 24 hours.  For example, you take a lot of MMT or start fenugreek tonight, whatever you're doing to try to increase lactation, then you will see the results this time tomorrow night.  I always think in terms of how today will affect tomorrow at this time, or if I'm having trouble with supply I trace it back to what I did this time yesterday.
      I also found and was told by those in the know that you must get your rest, and it is absolutely the best to get it at night.  I forget the exact reason, there was a lot of info to learn in a short crazy time when we were going through this, but the sleeping at night is very important info. 
     I really hope this helps someone.  I'm still on fenugreek, and my son is almost 4 months old.  When I take less than 3 three times a day, my supply drops a lot.  We don't know why it's been like this, this time.  With my first, I made so much I didn't know what to do with it all.  Anyway, hth!

Now I'm kind of worried, because if it mimics estrogen, and I'm nursing a boy..... I don't know what else to do , though, I was almost dry and fenugreek literally saved me from going dry.  I still start to go dry if I don't take it 3-4 three times a day.  What does anyone out there think? 
     Also to dry up milk--Sage.  Sage will work, I don't know the exact rules --dosage per day, but I took sage capsules to dry up with my first boy and wow it worked  wonders.  Wisdom passed down from my mother.  Hope that helps, and yikes, if anyone knows anything about the negative affects of fenugreek on nursing a baby, please please let me know.  I've noticed more bowel movements with him, and it's been a little green lately, but that's all.  Thank you all
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 03:13:31 AM »
The quality of your vitamins makes a huge difference too.  I initially bought some fenugreek from GNC to hold me over until my bulk herb store fenugreek seeds arrived.  I had to take a lot of them throughout the day to notice any change in my milk.

When the fenugreek seeds arrived I ground them in my grain mill and then used the cap 'em quick to make my own.  I thought nothing of it and took the same quantity of pills I had been taking from GNC and I was FLOORED at how much more potent they were.  I had enough milk for at least 2 babies.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 06:07:00 AM »
I'll bet that is at least partly because the quality deteriorates rapidly after grinding. So if you buy something in capsule off the shelf, it may have been there for several years, but fresh ground is way better.

I take milk thistle seeds, grind them and store them in amber glass in the fridge.
Also, you can save time and money by skipping the capsules. Just stir the herb into applesauce and eat it.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
I decided to try some Fenugreek tea while nursing my third baby (I usually had plenty of milk, so I don't remember exactly why I felt compelled to try!)  I don't recall if it increased my supply, but I DO remember smelling like an Indian bazaar!  I quit for the smell alone.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 05:50:26 AM »
Totally agree with this!

I had bought some fenugreek capsules just to try them out - they seemed to work ok, but I had to take a million of them to get any benefit.

I ordered Fenugreek seeds from the bulk herb store (link at the top of this page) and found that they are MUCH more potent, and considerably cheaper!

Also, like prairiechild said, I just skip the capsule thing.

I put 2 tablespoons of the seeds into a teacup, cover with double the water to soak overnight.  Next day, I just scoop out a few spoonsfull at every meal and eat them till they're gone.  Not very gross and easier than grinding and capping.  You could also cover the soaked seeds with water in a saucepan and heat it up real hot, (not boiling), strain through a paper towel and drink the tea. 

And WAAAAYYYY more potent than health food store pills, in my experience.

Fenugreek definitely helps my milk supply.  I have read that it will also help stabilize blood sugars but I cannot support it myself.

Only con I've noticed is that your urine and sweat will smell like maple syrup.  I read that fenugreek is used for manufacturing artificial maple syrup.

Though it's kinda weird, it's slightly better than your urine and sweat smelling like urine and sweat . . .  and you do get a real hankerin' for pancakes . . . . . .

The quality of your vitamins makes a huge difference too.  I initially bought some fenugreek from GNC to hold me over until my bulk herb store fenugreek seeds arrived.  I had to take a lot of them throughout the day to notice any change in my milk.

When the fenugreek seeds arrived I ground them in my grain mill and then used the cap 'em quick to make my own.  I thought nothing of it and took the same quantity of pills I had been taking from GNC and I was FLOORED at how much more potent they were.  I had enough milk for at least 2 babies.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:06:19 AM by Gigi »

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 11:05:14 AM »
Shabbychic---What would be the sign in a baby of hormonal dominance??   I would think of maybe a girl having discharge or enlarged breasts which can happen sometimes w/o fenugreek.  For a boy, I don't know...........

I really feel like the benefits of breastfeeding would still be so much better.   Also, how could fenugreek be harmful if in countries like India it is used regularly as a spice??

I do have some questions for you all.........I took fenugreek w/ my last baby and it helped so much.   Now I am due with baby # 4 in 1 week.

Can I start on 1 capsule a day before I have the baby??

Also, since I have had my last baby (5 years) I have developed irritable bowel syndrome.   I know fenugreek is a laxative, have any of yous using fenugreek noticed a difference in bm's??  :-[   

Offline plnkmomma

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 03:05:21 AM »
With my first I was a milk cow. With my second I still produced as much milk but he came to us as a 10 lb. and he would eat for 45 min and then 15 min later be hungry again and would nurse for another 45 min So I looked on here a found out about Fenugreek. I take the health food store kinds they helped a lot the only thing I noticed with him is that it would constipate him if I took too much at one time. He also smells sweet all the time. Just my thoughts on what happened with me
Celia

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 04:21:56 AM »
just jane,  I would NOT start the fenugreek until after you milk comes in and you are no longer engorged.

Starting it before/during engorgement causes an unnecessary amount of milk to be produced and baby can hardly drain the bre@sts, which could easily lead to mastitis. Does that make sense?  After your initial engorgement, I would allow a few days to stabilize and then start.  It takes no longer than 24 hours for the fenugreek to affect milk supply, so there really is no need to build it up in your system.

Also, I have not noticed any effect on my bowels, for what it's worth.

HTH

I do have some questions for you all.........I took fenugreek w/ my last baby and it helped so much.   Now I am due with baby # 4 in 1 week.

Can I start on 1 capsule a day before I have the baby??

Also, since I have had my last baby (5 years) I have developed irritable bowel syndrome.   I know fenugreek is a laxative, have any of yous using fenugreek noticed a difference in bm's??  :-[   

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »
Thanks---The last 2 times I have had a baby, I NEVER got engorged!   At the time I thought it was neat only to really battle milk supply quite soon. 

This time I feel more "equipped" as I have a ADVENT ISIS breast pump and I will start the fenugreek before my milk supply it too low.   So if I do get engorged (I will see it as a good sign) I will pump some.   

Thanks for the advice, I don't think I will take any or much fenugreek now. 
I will try 1-2 capsules a day right after the birth or a couple days later and see how it goes.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
So, if I'm taking Fenugreek for milk supply issues and fenugreek lowers blood sugar - would that make me crave sugars or carbs so much more?

I had been taking two Tablespoons of coconut oil in a smoothie every morning during my pregnancy and my cravings for chocolate and carbs were completely GONE!!  I can't even tell you how huge that is for me!  I gained very little weight until the very end of the pregnancy.  I figured that since I lose weight while nursing anyway, I'd really be able to shed some pounds between that and the coconut oil.

WRONG!  My cravings are back with a vengence and I lost about 20 pounds between delivery and the first few days postpartum - and that's it!  I cannot tell you how disappointed I've been about it.

Then, (I really do have a point about fenugreek!!) I was researching fenugreek in trying to get a better quality dose when I noticed this info about the low blood sugar AND that they give it to people with poor appetite - definitely NOT me!!!  :)  Could I be working against myself with fenugreek on one side and the coconut oil on the other?

The fenugreek helps my milk supply so much I'm quite sure I will not be able to stop taking it - maybe I can replace it with some other milk enhancer?  I'm really frustrated with my "fat"ness - I hate the way I look but I really want to breastfeed - can I have the best of both?

Anyone think the fenugreek is related to my weight or am I just having to work harder with this now-32 year old baby and baby #4?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
  • "It starts when you sink in his arms and ends with
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 02:21:16 AM »
So, if I'm taking Fenugreek for milk supply issues and fenugreek lowers blood sugar - would that make me crave sugars or carbs so much more?

I had been taking two Tablespoons of coconut oil in a smoothie every morning during my pregnancy and my cravings for chocolate and carbs were completely GONE!!  I can't even tell you how huge that is for me!  I gained very little weight until the very end of the pregnancy.  I figured that since I lose weight while nursing anyway, I'd really be able to shed some pounds between that and the coconut oil.

WRONG!  My cravings are back with a vengence and I lost about 20 pounds between delivery and the first few days postpartum - and that's it!  I cannot tell you how disappointed I've been about it.

Then, (I really do have a point about fenugreek!!) I was researching fenugreek in trying to get a better quality dose when I noticed this info about the low blood sugar AND that they give it to people with poor appetite - definitely NOT me!!!  :)  Could I be working against myself with fenugreek on one side and the coconut oil on the other?

The fenugreek helps my milk supply so much I'm quite sure I will not be able to stop taking it - maybe I can replace it with some other milk enhancer?  I'm really frustrated with my "fat"ness - I hate the way I look but I really want to breastfeed - can I have the best of both?

Anyone think the fenugreek is related to my weight or am I just having to work harder with this now-32 year old baby and baby #4?

I haven't read any research, but your thinking makes sense to me.  If  the fenugreek is lowering your blood sugar then you are going to want/have to eat to bring blood sugars back up.  I have read the fenugreek has been used along with other herbs to help rebuild the organs that control blood sugar in type 2 diabetics.
As for your milk issue.  Have you tried alfalfa sprouts?  My mom always ate a lot of leafy greens and alfalfa sprouts when she needed a boost with her milk supply.  After a while I think she just kind of kept them in her diet while nursing.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 04:02:56 AM »

Oh my goodness!   This is so so me!  My babe is 4 months and I cannot shed a pound, am craving sweets and food and I take fenugreek.  However, I am not going to quite taking it because it is the only thing that helps with my milk supply.  I guess I will need to lose my baby fat later.   Interesting.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:08 AM »
Bump...

Regarding Fenugreek and milk supply... I just bought some Fenugreek yesterday because I had read that it's good for allergies.  The lady at the herb store (not my usual, I'm out of town right now) told me a story about someone she knew who'd just adopted a baby that was 2 days old and she took Fenugreek and nursed him even though she didn't give birth :o!!!  This sounds hokey to me, but, I've seen things before that I never would have believed without seeing them.....  Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of such a thing? 
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
Bump...

Regarding Fenugreek and milk supply... I just bought some Fenugreek yesterday because I had read that it's good for allergies.  The lady at the herb store (not my usual, I'm out of town right now) told me a story about someone she knew who'd just adopted a baby that was 2 days old and she took Fenugreek and nursed him even though she didn't give birth :o!!!  This sounds hokey to me, but, I've seen things before that I never would have believed without seeing them.....  Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of such a thing? 
As long as you've got the working parts you can nurse a baby successfully whether you've given birth or not.  You need something to jump start the hormones and this would be where the fenugreek could come into play, but the sucking action of the baby also encourages and maintains the milk supply once it is started.

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
Hey, I take the herb milk thistle for milk production. The reason I prefer MT is because it is a powerful liver cleanser. A clean liver= healthy hormone production and balance, no morning sickness, bright white eyes, toxemia prevention, and more. You have to make sure the milk thistle is standarized with 80% silymarin. I take it all the time acturally, except right before and after birth because of engorgement issues.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 04:16:05 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline ridgerunner

• Master
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
Bump...

As long as you've got the working parts you can nurse a baby successfully whether you've given birth or not.  You need something to jump start the hormones and this would be where the fenugreek could come into play, but the sucking action of the baby also encourages and maintains the milk supply once it is started.

Wow, I had no idea...
"If these walls came tumbling down and fell so hard to make us lose our faith, from what's left you'd figure it out and still make lemonade taste like a sunny day.  Stay American" (DMB)