Author Topic: Dental Cavities [Caries]: How to Fix [Heal] my Teeth Naturally  (Read 82902 times)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
Re: Dental Cavities [Caries]: How to Fix [Heal] my Teeth Naturally
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »
Dark spots on teeth can be caused by low magnesium & calcuim intake.
Here is a great thread on tooth discoloration/spotting:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,14852.msg139237.html#msg139237

Tooth health/strength is determined largely by diet, so if the teeth are softer or spotted looking, I'd try using cal/mag supplements to strengthen the mineral content of the teeth as well as doing the Xylitol to battle bad bacterias.
Dr. Ellie of Xellies claims that by using the system that she develops, you can rid your mouth of bad bacterias within weeks...just be sure to do the research first.  Xylitol can give you a 'cleanse' if you use too much at first...your tummy has to get used to it to id it as a 'food'.

I have been using periobrite toothpaste, and we like it a lot.  It has Xylitol as well as other bacteriacidal ingredients.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline k3joy

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
This is probably not new to many of you, but I read where GSE(grapefruit seed extract) is good for removing plaque & fighting bacteria.  I tried it & it's working great!  My teeth feel squeeky clean & are brighter, too.  You only need a few drops each time you brush.  GSE is very bitter, but I didn't find it horrible. ;)

On a side note,  I use it to clean my fresh fruits & veges.  And cleaning kitchen countertops.  It can also be used for water purification.  The list goes on & on.

Hope someone finds this useful!  :)

Blessings,
Kat

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:39 AM »
Does anyone have more insight on the balance between cavities being caused by poor diet vs. bacteria? I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now; we've been working on healing my husband's teeth for over a year now. We eat an unbelievably low amount of sugar compared to the average American family. There is virtually NO white sugar used in our house. I try to keep our carb levels reasonably low (not a steady diet of potatoes and bread, although we do eat brown rice frequently, out of necessity), and we normally eat one dessert a week. That dessert will be made with Rapadura or raw honey (a dessert that KEEPS the honey raw). We drink raw milk and have raw cream. We eat a lot of eggs, although we rarely have access to pastured ones, so they're normally just the store-bought fake ones.  ::) We eat butter, and occasionally have kefir. We do not drink juice. We brush our teeth regularly, although the brand of toothpaste changes from time to time (sometimes fairly natural ingredients, sometimes nasty Crest junk).

Even though we do not eat a "strict" Weston Price diet (such as soaking all of our grains first and eating tons of organ meats), I still feel like I am ALWAYS in the kitchen working on food. We have a tight budget, and I simply cannot afford to buy grass-fed beef and organ meats, etc. Our splurge is the raw milk and cream, which I was REALLY hoping would help our teeth.

And now, after over a year on this diet, which has gradually gotten better and better (more organic produce, less processed everything), my husband has a tooth that has a large cavity.  >:( >:( >:( We've been on raw milk for about six months now, and while I realize that is not milk that is coming from the "rapidly growing grass" that Weston Price prescribes, shouldn't it be good for something? Also, my husband has been taking the high-vitamin-high-price butter oil most of the past year. He does not take it three times a day, ever. But he does take it, and lately, he has consistently been taking it twice a day, which is the most that's going to happen. (Has anybody tasted that stuff? It's NASTY!) I had a rough time accepting that he has a cavity at first, because of course, I was disappointed that what we're doing doesn't seem to be working. However, because the tooth is a wisdom tooth that doesn't have room, and is partially buried in the back of his head, he can't brush it all. So I at least comforted myself with the fact that perhaps it's more prone to decay because of the unique situation.

What's REALLY got me down, though, is that my child, who is about a year and a half old, suddenly has very... thin looking teeth, is the best way I can describe it. In the past, his teeth have looked GREAT, very white, very "solid" looking. And today I noticed what looks like it might be a little brown spot on one tooth, but he won't let me get a good look in his mouth. I weaned him less than a month ago, for a variety of reasons. I've been putting him to bed at night with a bottle of raw milk, (please do NOT scold... you have no clue how little sleep I survive on, and it was the only way), which of course I will no longer be doing.

But... really? ONE MONTH of a bottle at bedtime, and his teeth are falling apart? I'm mad!

I grew up with regular old toothpaste, no butter oil (or butter!) and pasteurized milk while I was little (raw goat's milk from the age of 6-13 or so). I have zero cavities. I NEVER had problems with my teeth while I was growing up, and it certainly wasn't because of my excellent diet. No, we didn't drink pop for the most part, but we certainly ingested our fair share of homemade white bread, margarine, Cool Whip  :-X, and random desserts.

This is clearly not all about diet. We all know somebody who eats whatever they want, and have no cavities (or very few), and someone else who has a mouth that is just falling apart, even though they don't seem to eat any worse than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong: I believe diet plays a huge role. But my friends who are giving their children processed cereals (DAILY!), fruit snacks, juice boxes and white bread aren't having any problem with their children's teeth. And they didn't eat an ideal diet while pregnant, either, OR while breastfeeding (if they even chose to breastfeed). Does it make me a little confused that their formula-fed baby's teeth are fine, and my child's teeth are deteriorating? Yeah.

This frustrating link really started making me second-guess what we're doing. It was an interview with a guy who has written a book about curing tooth decay.

"I asked Rami what he thinks is the most important thing to do to prevent tooth decay. He said we must limit anti-nutrients. Anti-nutrients such as phytic acid or oxalic acid are found in raw seeds, beans, nuts, grains and vegetables.

Soaking and sprouting nuts, seeds, legumes and grains will reduce phytic acid but not very much only somewhere between 10-30%. So even if you are carefully germinating (sprouting) and soaking and using sourdough and other methods to ferment your grains and soaking your beans, they still do contain the anti-nutrients which block mineral absorption and chelate them from the body. It is therefore important to eat nutrient-dense foods but also to limit foods that contain anti-nutrients, even if they are properly prepared.

Rami stressed that it is extremely important to reduce anti-nutients in the diet. Even anti-nutrients in vegetables. Vegetables need to be cooked or properly fermented.

He said that just 25 mg of phytic acid will block 50% of your iron intake. Phytic acid also blocks zinc, copper and other minerals.

Rami said, the more grains, nuts and seeds you eat, the more careful you have to be. He also said that you need the enzyme, phytase, in order to take out phytate. Nuts, beans and seeds have little or no phytase. Oats, as well, have no phytase. This is why it is recommended to add a little freshly ground whole wheat flour to oats when soaking overnight. You must have phytase in order to break down phytates
."

The post goes on to state that oats are not fit to eat, seeds are the worst when it comes to phytic acid content, coconut flour (which we would have considered good, because it's low-carb) is a big source of phytic acid, and chocolate, coffee, and tea shouldn't be consumed if you're fighting tooth decay. He also says that Vitamin C blocks the effects of phytic acid. I'm wondering... if this is true, at what point do we decide that we're deficient in Vitamin C, instead of soaking, sprouting and eliminating EVERYTHING? And how close do you need to consume foods containing Vitamin C along with the phytic-acid laden foods? Or do you just need to have enough Vitamin C in your system?

So... no oats. No coffee. No tea. No nuts. No seeds. No coconut flour. No sugar. No grains (goodbye, rice). No beans. No raw veggies? Instead, according to him, we should be eating tons of grass-fed liver (currently, my only source of healthy livers is almost $7 a pound for beef, and almost $11 a pound for chicken; totally can't do this money-wise) and oh! another great superfood for your teeth is salmon caviar (as long as it's wild-caught and mercury-free). This will only cost me $28 for 6 ounces.

It starts seeming ridiculous. Like, maybe the problem isn't the food - maybe it's ME. The question is, how do I fix me (or my family) so that we can eat food like normal people again?

Or is it not the food at all? Is it bacteria? Is it genetics? Is it a lack of good balance in the gut, so we can't absorb nutrients? I could even understand if it was just my husband; he has mercury fillings, grew up on a steady diet of sugar, and has only really changed his diet in the last couple of years.

But my child? After a year and half of life (during which they have had breastmilk and the healthiest food I can manage), their teeth are going bad?

If it is bacteria-based, then why don't I have a mouthful of cavities? I kiss my husband all the time.   ;D Seems like I should have caught some of those cavity-germs by now.

SIGH. I'm rambling out loud here, because I can't figure out which direction to go on this one. I'm tempted to just throw in the towel and QUIT, but that doesn't fix anything. Even if I just go the conventional route and have my child's cavity filled, that doesn't mean this is over. It certainly doesn't guarantee that another one won't just pop up and we do this all over again.

So... now that I've written a book here, any ideas?  :)

ETA: Hmmm... another thought: Removing Candida to Control Cavities?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:42:32 AM by Jade »
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 11:54:54 AM »
I feel your pain Jade.  It seems that each 'camp' has their cure all combination (diet/supplements/etc.), and if you aren't doing things *EXACTLY* the prescribed way, then there are no guarantees, and all bets are off.  IMO, I toss out anything that doesn't make sense in light of how ancient peoples were able to process and prepare foods.  It's not supposed to be rocket science...God made food to be good, and if you are eating a varied diet, and getting foods that are closest to what God made, then you are doing much more than most folks!  

It sounds like you're doing a GREAT job of ammending your family's diet to be more nutritious...don't give it up.  

I'll give you my take on the tooth decay thing:
It's bacterial.  That's the only thing that possibly makes sense with all of the variables in play for people who have no cavities and eat McJunk all day.  My Grandfather died in his 60's without ever getting one cavity.  He lived in a house full of people who at the same things, and they all had cavities.  In fact, he'd eat bowls of sugary cereal and make milkshakes and orange frosty's at night right before bed.  (A man after my own sugar-lovin' heart.)

The mouth, like the gut, is a breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria and even pre-digestive enzymes.  The bacteria that like to eat the enamel off your teeth find some mouths/body chemistry much more appealing than others.  Which is why you can smooch your hubby and he still has a unique mouth chemistry to yours.  I've done a bit of reading on this topic, as it relates to using Xylitol dental products (anti-bacterial and alkalanizing) and it can be found here:
Cavities caused by bacteria?

I don't think you have to go to the extremes of using a multiplicty of rinses, etc.  There are more natural ways to achieve what Dr. Ellie is suggesting..but the principals of these ideas are sound: neutralize the saliva, knock out the bacteria, and the teeth will re-mineralize on their own.  A great diet is only going to help this process.

I recently saw a suggestion about using a dental probiotic, which I hadn't researched, but it may be something to look into.  FWIW, we have been using a very affordable natural (& decent tasting) toothpaste called Periobrite, which is Xylitol sweetened.  Now also makes mints and gums that are great and pretty affordable.  

Back teeth are the most affected, and the bacteria eventually work their way down deep in the gums and become anarobic (don't need oxygen to live).  Plaque is the waste product of these types of bacteria.  Flossing will remove plaque, but you're not actually fixing the problem with dealing with the bacteria as the root issue.

As far as your son's teeth...
Lotsaboys has had good experience with this, and has found a solution for it.  Start reading here. and down to reply # 29.  She felt like it was a calcium/magnesium deficiency, and her issues (same as your sons) were reversible.

HTH!  Don't lose ♥!  :-*
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 12:26:20 PM by hi_itsgwen »
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Jade,
This might help. The last time I went to the dentist ( a no mercury type) I asked the hygeniest why my teeth were becoming more and more translucent (not brown) looking at the ends with two whiter marks visible in the front teeth. She said that is actually the way healthy teeth are supposed to look. It has to do with the fluid exchange in a tooth that is more "alive".
The solid white look is not the best. She was telling me that the wealthier class from that town will come in there and pay LOTS  :o  of money  to achieve the translucent look when 10 yrs ago it was the brilliant white that was in. It's in now to be healthy and they want the healthy teeth look instead of the artificial white.

We eat much as you describe your diet. You didn't say if it was goat milk or cow. We use goat milk. Various reasons, but I do believe it is easier to digest and absorb. We don't eat liver, even the organic grassfed ones and we could because we butcher our own. We eat pastured beef and venison when we can, which isn't every day. Most of our grains and seeds we soak and sprout because they feel better in our tummies that way. I think that if the seed can sprout, than alot of the antinutrients have been dealt with. Most of them are there to preserve the life in the seed until it gets the proper moisture and temperature to grow. We use a decent cod liver oil during the winter, not the WAPF high vitamin recommendation.
My husband's teeth are sensitive if he doesn't get enough goat milk yogurt. When we are low on dairy he takes the knock off brand of citrical and some magnesium and it corrects the sensitivity within a day.

What was interesting to me was that over 18 months, the last year of which , I rarely brushed my teeth, I had almost no plaque. My dental health was excellent. I do floss 3-4x a week because of the odd spaces in my mouth from dental work and then rinse with plain water after that.

Anyway, I think that dental health depends on whole body health and balance which in turn depends on MORE than just the foods you eat although that is a good portion of it. Our bodies are, after all a recombination of the things we ingest, breath, or absorb. There are other factors that determine whether good ingredients actually get arranged the right way for healthy cells.
I'm a little intrigued that you brought this up today of all days.  :o I'm researching xylitol because of another thread, and of course alot of that topic revolves around dental health. Hopefully more later....

Offline luvbnamommy2

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »
Hi, we use Xylitol and homeopathic cell salts for bones & teeth. My DS at 18 mos was diagnosed with extremely severe ECC. If an operating rm had been immediately available then he'd probably be pretty well toothless now. BUT fortunately for him and me the earliest they could work him in was nearly a year a way!

The ped dentist offered us no encouragement, nothing we could do; just keep a close watch on my little kiddo's teeth. But my mom started internet searching, and yes she came on Weston Price's site, but we're vegetarians. Also, diet and nutrition take time to show results and time was something we didn't have.

She discovered Xylitol. Read every bit of the research done and was being done, etc. etc.!!! www.zellies.com, www.epicdental.com, www.xlear.com, etc..

She also searched for things to strengthen bones and teeth; liquid calcium, etc.. he wouldn't open his mouth, then she discovered homeopathic cell salts.

So we bought the stuff, and the rest is history! My DS remains cavity-free. He is almost 5. The dentist says his teeth are strong and healthy, even though 3 of the upper front ones have reminders of their 'rotting' days [1 is a stub and the other 2 have small chips in them].

The cell salts we use in a maintenance dose are:

Calcium Phos 6X - bone health, gives solidity to bones and assists in building strong teeth.

Calcium Fluor 6X - assists with improving enamel of teeth and strengthening bones.

Magnesium Phos 6X - bone development & quick pain relief associated with toothaches.

Silica 6X - assists in building strong connective tissue to support deficient assimilation.

We also use THE recommended amount of Xylitol daily, 6 to 10 grams. Right now he gets gum from SPRY [the fruit flavor, tastes like Juicy Fruit] and B-Fresh Bubble gum [this one is the most expensive]. Candy from Zellies and Emerald Forest. His toothpaste is TOOTHBUILDER by Squile. And SPRY "RAIN" which is a mouth spray. The cell salts come from www.elixirs.com, www.1-800homeopathy.com. Or if I can find them in a local health food store; I've even gotten them - all the products - off of www.amazon.com.

I know some of you think Xylitol products are too expensive, but my DS was scheduled for $3400 worth of dental work; these products have come no where near that amount of money plus I have peace of mind. In the end my DS had 1 tooth extracted [he broke the root and it abcsessed] and 1 tooth filled [a large cavity]. Less than $200.

I have only good things to say about Xylitol and Cell Salts and teeth.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2010, 06:28:37 AM »
Does anyone have more insight on the balance between cavities being caused by poor diet vs. bacteria?
What about your toothpaste?  I believe fluoride causes tooth decay.  I don't use anything but water on my teeth.  My grandmother never used fluoride and she died with all of her teeth.  Everyone else in my family (mom, dad, grandma (other side), grandpa, aunt) used fluoride and they all now have false teeth, crowns, root canals, etc.  My MIL has all her teeth and no decay and her diet has always been amazing and toothpaste was a non-entity for the first 20 years of her life (poor and lived in Korea).  I have a better diet than hubby and he uses fluoride rinse and toothpaste and his teeth are in pretty bad shape.  My kids eat good and barely remember to brush or floss.  None of them have or have ever had a cavity one.  No white or dark spots.  Fantastic teeth.  My daughter has some issues with jaw shape (minor) but I suspect that was due to poor nutrition in her earliest years.

NOTE:  Hubby had great teeth when he lived at home (with his mother) but over the years they have gone bad.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:33:44 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
Hey Jade,
I completely hear you on your out-loud ramblings! The healthy teeth thing can be very frustrating, and we have gone mostly the same route as you--even bought the book by Ramiel Nagel, studied it thoroughly, put it into practice, but we are still getting cavities (a few, but not too many).

My conclusion (opinion) is this: Much of teeth health is inherited from your mother and even your grandmother! Just a few generations ago, most of our grandparents ate whole, organic, healthful foods with little to no processing. These foods would be full of vitamins, but mostly MINERALS, which are mostly missing in our modern day diets. Teeth and bone formation in the womb are incredibly dependent on the mineral resources available at the time. So, prevention of cavities actually starts in the womb (source: Weston Price website).

I don't disagree that bacteria definitely has a part. However, if the teeth are weak and un-mineralized from the beginning, then the bacteria will have its way. Hardened, mineralized teeth can easily resist bacteria and its by-products.....(still my opinion, here)

We've come up with a concoction here at our house to help with remineralization of teeth. It's a topical powder that I really believe is helping. I make it out of equal parts of baking soda (good stuff), cal/mag powder, celtic salt and diatamaceous earth. I patterned it after Tooth Soap's Tooth Brightener product. Of course, the best mineralization of teeth is done internally, but we are doing what we can on the outside of our teeth, too.

So, although a great diet certainly has its benefits NOW, the best benefits are when a pregnant mother eats whole, nourishing food for her baby.  :)
"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »
Yes, yes, yes, Mamacita!  Also, from what I've read, there is a strong connection between the ph of the mouth/saliva and whether or not the teeth can re-mineralize.  An acidic ph doesn't allow them to remineralize, but a neutral ph does.  The baking soda is a ph neutralizer! 

Junky modern diets usually have so much sweet stuff in them, that the saliva stays in an acidic state most of the time, and don't allow the teeth to remineralize *even if there are adequate minerals present*.  (Think about how often average kids are fed sweets as snacks, juice, and then sweet things at the end of a meal...constant acidic input.)

So that's a big part of where products like Xylitol are used, to promote a neutral ph in the mouth, where bacteria can't survive.  That's when you'll start seeing improvement in the health of the teeth, as they are able to utilize those healthy minerals and become strong!  At least, that's what I've gathered from my reading and such.

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »

The cell salts we use in a maintenance dose are:

Calcium Phos 6X - bone health, gives solidity to bones and assists in building strong teeth.

Calcium Fluor 6X - assists with improving enamel of teeth and strengthening bones.

Magnesium Phos 6X - bone development & quick pain relief associated with toothaches.

Silica 6X - assists in building strong connective tissue to support deficient assimilation.

I have only good things to say about Xylitol and Cell Salts and teeth.

what is the amount of these cell salts for a maintenance dose?
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Pr 3:6

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 02:46:16 AM »
Thanks so much for the all the helpful replies! I have quite a few thoughts on this; but not enough time to hash them all out. However, here's a new twist that's taking the whole thing to the next level: I'm getting a cavity. Yep, never had one 'til now, and now I have a tooth that's just... fading away, and it's getting quite sensitive. I can see where a bunch of enamel is just GONE. This is frustrating, to say the least.

As far as the fluoride thing is concerned, we have used healthy non-fluoride toothpaste in the past, but we've been using just water (most of the time) to brush our teeth for the last few months. Occasionally a small tube of "normal" toothpaste will cycle it's way through our house, but it's rare. And, when I was growing up, I used fluoride toothpaste all the time. No cavities. Now, I'm eating healthier than I ever have, NOT using fluoride toothpaste, and my teeth look thin, I have several that are sensitive off and on, and now one of them is deteriorating rapidly. What gives??

Since I'm not liking the way this is going, I'm mulling over possible causes. CAN it be something in the water? Too much of a certain kind of mineral? We have hard, very hard well water. Is it possible I've finally caught the dreaded "cavitity germs" from my hubby?  :) I've ordered xylitol toothpaste and mouthwash for our family, as well as homeopathic cell salts. I'm honestly not convinced yet that xylitol is safe, but then again, neither are root canals, and we DON'T want to go there.

Another thought: I'm suspecting food allergies for myself and my children. If I am allergic to say, milk, then do I get any of the nutrition from it when I drink it? (paging mykidsmom!  ;D) Am I actually doing my body more harm than good to drink raw milk IF I'm allergic to it?

Mouth probiotics: I found one brand (Garden of Life) that carried them. This seems a bit weird to me (to have to buy good bacteria for your mouth), but if you could re-establish a healthy balance in your mouth, then it would be worth it. Anybody tried these?

Candida causing cavities: still need to read up more on this, but I'm looking into it. I included the link in my last post.

Now that we no longer eat processed foods, is it possible we're lacking the vitamins and minerals that they were fortified/enriched with? I never would have believed that before, but I'm starting to question a lot of things now...

Here's one that I'm intrigued by: each tooth reflects the health of a certain part of the body, and I started wondering if maybe my TEETH aren't really the problem. So I started digging around, and found this line that clicked with what I was wondering: "just as a tooth can effect the associated organ....the organ's health can also effect the tooth." Aha! Now THAT would make sense to me. Now I just need a tooth chart that shows which teeth are related to which parts of the body... here's one!

This guy gives a nice overview that highlights different reasons for tooth decay:

In order for dental decay to happen, three things are necessary: 1) germs, 2) germ food, and 3) teeth. The key to preventing the decay process is not to allow these three items to be present at the same time. The mouth is the dirtiest place in your body, and even though you might be a fanatic flosser, there will still be germs. Mechanical removal of germs is not the entire answer to decay, and loosing the teeth is what we are trying to avoid. Therefore, the real the issue, the one where you can have the highest degree of control, is your nutrition. Germs do have a preference of meals....refined sugars (sucrose), and since germs can't order out, they eat what we give them to eat. So it would seem pretty simple to just not eat refined sugars, right? Well, it is estimated that the average American eats 150 lbs. of refined sugar per year, and since I probably eat about 10lbs. of sugar a year, someone is eating my extra 140 lbs. of sugar!

It's still not this simple. More than 1/6 of the calories in an average American diet derives from sucrose, however only about 20% of the 150 lbs of sugar consumed per person is purchased in it's straight form for home use.....for coffee, baking, cereal, etc. The other 80% is hidden in foods,soft drinks, etc.....even disguised as other brand names. However, the germs that decay your teeth couldn't care less about what it is called!

It's still not that simple. Decay is also a systemic disease, as just as a tooth can effect the associated organ....the organ's health can also effect the tooth. In addition, the ph of the body has major effects effects on the calcium / phosporous ratios and proper calcium metabolism. The end result is still the same....deterioration of the mouth and another systemic interference field for the associated energy meridian pathways. For information on nutrition and dental disease, check the references listed at the end of this article.

One more quick thought: boysmama, very interesting that your dentist said that about your teeth becoming more translucent. Mine look very much the same way as you described. However, I don't find that the overall health of my teeth is better than it used to be, so it's hard for me to accept that they're supposed to look that way.

One thing I AM deciding for sure and certain: tooth decay is caused by SOOO much more than sugar. It's a major factor, especially when you over-indulge, but it's far from the only one.

Off to go try to figure out how in the world to read that tooth chart...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:54:53 AM by Jade »
"I walk without flinching through the burning cathedral of the summer.  My bank of wild grass is majestic and full of music.  It is a fire that solitude presses against my lips."  ~Violette Leduc

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 01:12:30 PM »
Am I actually doing my body more harm than good to drink raw milk IF I'm allergic to it?
Yes, but culturing dairy changes it drastically and by healing the digestive system in general it is quite likely you can reverse these allergies.

Something else... here

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Since I started soaking my grains and reducing my phytic acid intake a couple of years ago, I have not had a single cavity. After frequent cavities and two root canals this is such a blessing! (To learn more about how phytic acid causes tooth decay, please read this post: Do Bread & Cereal Cause Cavities? Reversing Dental Decay with Food)

from http://www.cheeseslave.com/2009/05/04/healthy-soaked-oatmeal-cookies/
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Yep, I've followed Cheeseslave's progress - and was encouraged to hear that it seems to be working for her. But we've pretty much banned cereal all together, and eat breads in moderation or not at all. I tried a soaked biscuit recipe, and it was such a dismal failure that I've preferred to go without. Recently tried a soaked granola, and had the same results. :P

I'm sure it's a matter of finding the right recipe, and trial and error... but it is very frustrating to be starting back at the "beginning" again. My husband used to think I was a good cook.  ;D Eating healthier was definitely my idea, and while he's been a good sport and was willing to make changes to improve his health, there is only so far he's going to go in this direction. My constant challenge is to make food that is outstandingly good, and somehow make it healthy, too. Trying to make Dorie Greenspan meet Sally Fallon isn't the easiest task.  ::)

I do make an effort to soak oats, when we eat them; and rice, because it's easy and doesn't turn out weird.  :) We do use cow's milk, but my little guy seemed to have issues with goat's milk (I know, that's weird!). I also make kefir and my children drink this. I do sometimes, but seem to have issues with dairy altogether. My husband will not be consuming any anytime soon.  :)

Since my first post in this thread, I've eased up on pretty much everything. We still eat healthy sugars, and in moderation, but I'm making more bread-stuff, and I actually made a non-soaked granola for breakfast. I decided that if we're trying this hard, and our teeth are falling apart, then something isn't working here. Realistically, MOST of the people I know do not soak anything or put any effort into their diet whatsoever; and it's not like their teeth are getting new cavities all the time. It's a rare thing, and they eat sweets more like every day!

Truthfully, I'm worn out. If the only thing I had to do was cook like this, I could, but my life is much too full at this point. I realize other people do this all the time, but I'm realizing my limitations. I have had a new twist in my life recently that has taken my "busy-ness" to the next level, and so I'm changing strategies.

I intend to put more emphasis on finding "real" meats and eggs, have started using PerioBrite toothpaste and mouthwash, and my husband will be taking white oak bark from here on out. It's cheap, cheap, cheap and has a remineralizing effect. Matt Wood mentions a dentist who uses it to hold cavities at bay; that works for me. I don't necessarily plan to invest in more butter oil when it runs out. After a year of use, I can't say it's worked wonders for us. I'm not opposed to adding it to our plan, but the cost is prohibitive, to say the least, and I'd rather spend that money on healthy organs meats or something. I also plan to get some camu camu powder or some other source of vitamin C, and have hubby take that everytime he eats unsoaked grains. If it's true that Vitamin C blocks the effect of phytic acid, then that's my do-able compromise for right now.

Our first raw cream from rapidly growing grass will become available very soon; I will be making butter with that, but have to admit I don't exactly "believe" in it like I would have used to.  :(

Still investigating the homeopathic cell salts. I'm taking them... cautiously. I'm the guinea pig around here.  ;D

The next step is trying to determine/heal food allergies that might be causing problems. And that's going to have to wait a bit. So in the meantime, bring on the white oak bark and Vitamin C. We're gonna live like normal people and eat some bread.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 09:34:09 AM by Jade »

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 08:05:51 AM »
Jade, I have such sympathy for your situation,  how frustrating!  Genetic factors play a part, but I am really interested in epigenetics, and I don't believe that you are just stuck once a genetic weakness starts causing problems.  I really hope you find something to heal this and it sounds like diet is really only one factor and there is something else you haven't discovered yet.  I would guess getting your water tested might be a good idea.   ???  Just as one possible help,  you might try Vita-Myr toothpaste.  I have used it before with great success in stopping my tooth decay.  I just realized that I can order online (don't ask me why I was so dense about that for so long), I don't have to hope that a health food store has it.  Amazon even carries it!  I've only ever used the toothpaste, not the mouthwash, but it was really helpful at reducing sensitivity and stopping decay, and my teeth felt very, very clean.  It's not the cheapest things in the world, but for $10 it might be worth the benefits.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2010, 10:29:29 AM »
Great! Someone else who's interested in epigenetics. I'd love to hear what you have to say over here...
Epigenetics

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2010, 07:08:29 AM »
Thanks, born-an-okie! I really appreciate your kind words and advice. I wouldn't mind getting our water tested, but... for what? What would I be looking for? Heavy metals? Strange mineral balances? We had it tested for lead once, but I have no idea what the mineral values are or anything.

The situation is escalating rapidly. I mean, like, so rapidly it's unreal. I now have probably ten cavities. I'm not exactly sure what counts as a "real" cavity (never having had one before), but I can see all of these spots on my teeth that are like a slight dent where the enamel is wearing away. They're sensitive, and they've just appeared out of nowhere. It is the most bizarre thing. I went to bed one night, woke up the next morning, and a major hole had appeared in my tooth. Like a sinkhole, as if my body had just sucked part of the tooth right away. It's not brown, but it is sensitive, and part of my tooth is gone! It's crazy, and more than a little frustrating.

The night before the huge hole in my tooth appeared, I had dinner with friends, so I ate enchiladas, chips, and a caramel flan. Obviously, this is not how I normally eat. The next morning, my teeth were falling apart. It seems utterly ridiculous to me that ONE MEAL would set my teeth off, but I'm thinking there's a connection because the first cavity appeared after a few days of snacking on peanuts. There seems to be a direct link. The only thing that I can figure out is that I'm so nutritionally depleted, that I no longer have any reserve. If I eat something that I'm apparently allergic to, it drains my body's resources, and apparently the only source I have left is my teeth?  ???

It's not a great theory, but I'm not sure what else to come up with. So the one I'm going with is that I'm allergic to wheat (almost 100% sure on this), dairy, eggs, corn, rice, potatoes, oats, beans, chocolate, tomatoes, nuts, and possibly sugar. Every time I eat those foods, I'm actually stripping my body of nutrition, rather than nourishing it. The more "nourishing" foods I've been eating, the more I'm actually doing damage, because my body cannot digest those foods. Does that make any sense? For example, for the last year, I've made a HUGE effort to eat only "real" foods. But that has meant a lot of rice, eggs, and dairy, and if I'm allergic to those things, then I've probably only made my situation worse. If I can't digest fats, then every speck of butter I've eaten was a total waste.

I'm trying to come up with a reasonable, affordable plan to somehow get things back to a less acute situation. It's not easy. If I can't eat all of the foods I listed above, then what in the world do I eat? And I've found a whole foods supplements that is supposed to be great for your teeth, but it has wheat in it. If I'm that allergic to wheat (and I believe I am - every time I eat it, it results in a stomachache within five minutes), then would it do more damage than good to take it?

I've tried to find a local doctor to do the Elisa Test, and they charge WAY too much, PLUS they insist on a consult with them first, which is over $200. I cannot come up with $500 for a simple blood test and a doctor's visit right now. I also cannot afford to have all of my cavities filled, and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me, because if they're appearing this rapidly, then what's the point? They're just going to keep on coming.  

I will say this: my life has been very high-stress for the past six years. In the past six months, I've started feeling like I've hit a wall, like there's just no more reserve to draw from. In the past, I've been able to just kind of keep on pushing through and doing the best I can, but it seems like physically, I just can't do it anymore. I'm wiped out. So is this a sign that my body is totally depleted and my teeth deteriorating is the natural next step? I don't know.

Not sure of a lot of things right now. But I'll keep digging and researching and trying, because it's either that, or turn into a toothless woman.  :)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:21:58 PM by Jade »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
Jade,

My husband has always had "bad" teeth.  He would brush and floss 2-3 times a day and would go to the dentist only to come home to say he had more cavities.  My oldest DD was the same way.  When we found out they had food allergies and removed everything they were allergic to things changed drastically.  Neither has had a single cavity since we've removed their food allergens.  I would have a tendency to think the reason isn't because of the food itself, but because food allergies tax the immune system, which also taxes digestion, which causes yeast issues.  They also both had a horrible overrun of a pathogenic bacteria in their gut which very likely was what was in their mouth.  My dentist used to say it wasn't that they had "weak" teeth but that they had aggressive bacteria.  Well, he was right in one sense.  But it wasn't mouth bacteria.  It was pathogenic gut bacteria. 

With all of that in mind, here's what I would suggest (it's the cheapest thing I can think of).

1) I would suggest at least one round (one month) of candibactin BR (it's berbine) - you might be able to make your own goldenseal capsules cheaper. 

2) A one month dose of a hefty probiotic.  VSL, Culturelle, or something like that.  Basically you would take the candibactin one tab at each meal and the probiotic before breakfast in the AM and before bed in the PM (must be taken away from the candibactin).

This should balance out your gut/mouth bacteria and put it back in balance. 

3) Do not eat anything that you are knowingly allergic to.  Since you've listed quite a few things, those would be the places to start.  I would suggest you remove gluten in general and not just wheat.  It's not impossible, but it would be uncommon to be allergic to wheat and not gluten. 

4) Take a good mineral supplement like Vital.  3 caps daily.  Vital is iron and  copper free. 

There are other remineralizing substances for teeth but I don't know what they are.  I do know though that people with food allergies have a tendency to not have enough minerals (this is particularly true of those allergic to gluten). 

I think if you can do just those things, it will really help you.  We also do NOT use flouride in any way, shape or form.  We use Xyliwhite by NOW.  Lucky Vitamin sells it for really cheap.  I have used straight xylitol on my kids teeth but really haven't noticed a difference.  I also let them chew trident gum with xylitol in it. 

I do think these things will help tremendously.  I still think you need to eat a whole foods diet as much as possible as processed foods will only contribute to bad gut bacteria.  But I absolutely believe gut bacteria is the culprit here.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2010, 04:21:05 PM »
It sounds like your own thoughts about food allergies and Patti's input are pointing to a key to what is going on with your teeth.  It also sounds like you have got to find a way to deal with the stress in your life.  I really think that stress takes a much greater toll on long term health than we usually think.  It is often what tips the scale against us and starts us on a path to really awful health problems.  You have to address both the physical health problems and the stress (physical, emotional, spiritual) in your life to really overcome the strain that your body has been under and heal things.  I have a LOOOONG way to go in this in my own life!  I have a hard time letting go and relaxing. 

As far as water testing goes, there are lots of minerals that can do strange things to you in excess amounts.  One example is excess iron.  The water may be "drinkable" but excess iron will settle throughout the body and cause tremendous fatigue, pain, and a host of other problems.  Other minerals could possibly cause calcium depletion etc, which would greatly affect your teeth.  If your water is really hard, it is at least worth researching the possibilities.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 07:26:22 PM »
Jade, the other thing I failed to mention that born-an-okie did, is the stress.  Your adrenal glands are likely shot.  You need to support them with a healthy diet, lots of rest and if you can get some licorice root and drink it daily as a tea that will also help to heal them.  Also, when you are feeling wiped out, drink 1/2 tsp. of sea salt in 8oz of warm water.  It will boost your adrenals and thus your energy.  Use sea salt generously on your food.  It will help your adrenals in the long run.  

The other thing I just thought of is Vit. D3.  I know I was so so low on energy and I had done everything I needed to to heal my adrenals, food allergies, etc.  We tested my vit. D and found it was only 19.  Minimum is supposed to be 32.  So I was way off.  The first day I took 10,000mg of Vit. D I felt like a new woman.  Everything had finally come together.  I had done enough physical healing that my body was functioning again and the Vit. D gave me back my energy completely.  Prior to that I had days (sunny days, of course) where I would be just okay.  

Vit. D will also help your immune system which will help your food allergies which will help your teeth in the long run.  I also gave my husband vit. D so it may have played a role in his teeth getting better also by improving his immune system which vastly improved his food allergies.  So that might be a cheap and wise thing to take.  

patti
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:04:29 AM by mykidsmom »
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 04:10:07 AM »
I honestly hadn't made the connection with vitamin D, but now that I think about it, this is the first pregnancy that I have been supplementing with it.  Early on (before taking D3) I started to notice the same translucent grayness at the edges of my front teeth coming back (that started at the end of the last pregnancy).  I started taking D3 about 3 months into this pregnancy and my teeth are looking and feeling much better than they have for a long time.  The gray/translucent appearance is gone.  I think it is helping my hang onto more calcium and the one cold that I caught since I started taking it was the most minor cold I have had in years, so it is definitely boosting my immune system.

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
Vitamin D3 is a must for cavity prevention. Scince June 2009 I  have been taking higher amounts of Vitamin D.  My  levels went from 32 to 49 in abouit 6 months or so.  I  have had alot of teeth problems the last 5  years.

Just got back from my one  year Dental checkup and  she said NO cavities!!! Vitamin D works! 

Offline Jade

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 03:43:16 PM »
Hmmm... now that's interesting. Due to various factors, I have been inside waaay more than normal the past 8 months. AND... whenever I start getting sensitive spots on my teeth, one of the things that helps the sensitivity go away is taking lots of fish oil. (That, and packing the spots with white oak bark or pascalite clay). So the Vitamin D thing could make sense, although I'm not convinced it's the only factor. Probably a crucial one, though. So many pieces to the puzzle!

Thanks for your help, Patti! I had a gift certificate to Beeyoutiful, so I bought some Yeast Assassin (before I read your post). Is this similar to Candibactin? I plan to save up and buy the Candibactin and other things within a month, but am using the YA now, since that's what I have. I also have some enzymes on the way, and I'm trying very hard to cut out everything that I think I'm allergic to.

I think you guys are right on with the adrenal fatigue, although I had no idea it could be effecting my teeth so directly. I've been suspecting adrenal fatigue for some time, now, but... like so many other things in life, it's just gotten pushed to the side 'til I have time to deal with it. Looks like the time is going to have to be now!

So... my ever-evolving plan for my teeth now looks like this (if I understand everything correctly):

1. Kill the bad bacteria.

2. Replenish the good bacteria.

3. Remove allergenic foods and heal the gut.

4. Supplement with minerals and enzymes.

5. Heal the adrenals. 

6. Try to eliminate stress.

7. Make sure I'm getting enough Vitamin D.

And hopefully, eventually get our water tested.

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted such helpful replies! I actually feel hopeful again that my teeth could be healthy someday.

Offline simplynatural1

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 02:38:29 AM »
I am currently doing the School of Natural Healing's Yeast Program...it is done by killing off the candida and other parasites with a very strong tea of Black Walnut and Pau D' Arco, then taking a Slilppery Elm/Licorice mix everyday for 2 weeks to heal the intestinal tract and then going back to 2 days of Black Walnut and Pau D' Arco tea.  THEN - doing lots of fermented veggies, kefir, yogurt, ACV...anything fermented to re-establish the good bacteria in the colon. 

It is better to cleanse the parasites/bacteria, heal the colon and then re-establish intestinal flora. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Vitamin D3 is a must for cavity prevention. Scince June 2009 I  have been taking higher amounts of Vitamin D.  My  levels went from 32 to 49 in abouit 6 months or so.  I  have had alot of teeth problems the last 5  years.

Just got back from my one  year Dental checkup and  she said NO cavities!!! Vitamin D works! 
Yet another reason Cod Liver Oil is a good choice.   ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline sectime3

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »
Can you please tell me how to use the cell salts?
How much do you use, and how many times.
It would be most helpful. Your story is inspiring .

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »
Can you please tell me how to use the cell salts?
How much do you use, and how many times.
It would be most helpful. Your story is inspiring .

Cell salts are homeopathics.  Calc Phos cells salts are excellent for teeth/bones.  They come in pellets (can't remember which number of cell salt this is - I think it's #6 but don't quote me).  You dissolve two pellets in your mouth 4 times a day.  We have our DS just take them with each meal and right before bed so they just stay at his place at the table.  With cell salts (and all homeopathics) it's important not to touch the pellets.  Just shake how many you need into the lid and pop them in your mouth. 

Cells salts usually are a 6x potency.

Offline herbalperson

• Learning
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »
I read this book called "be your own doctor" . And she recommended a
black walnut tincture . It rebuilds your teeth . She tried it on several people
before putting it down as a cure . One boy had a cavity and they made a appointment to have fixed . And as soon as they got home she began having
him swish the tincture in his mouth then swallow ( it is better known as a parasite killer) it . When they got back to dentist the cavity was gone!
so maybe that is what you need to try .
more information at, bulkherbstore.com. and click on her articles .

Offline Lizzy

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2011, 05:59:37 AM »
Who is the book "Be your own Doctor" by? I looked it up on Amazon and
there were a couple of them. Do you recommend the book, or just like
that one piece of advice? Thanks!

Offline Christina Wall

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
I really recommend the book "Be your own Doctor"!